Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would Mike Brown come aboard right now with his coaching staff

Default Would Mike Brown come aboard right now with his coaching staff

I've been really sick for several days, so I'm still a little out of it. I would like to move the conversation forward, no not the overdone who do you want the next coach to be, but more lets focus on whether Mike Brown would come right now.

Couple of questions:

Did Mike Brown bring in his own coaching staff in Cleveland - or where they more of less picked for him? where did they scatter too - are they available.

I think Mike brown signed with ESPN - but I have not seen him at all - anyone else see him on ESPN?

Why wouldn't Mike Brown agree to come aboard now to evalauate the players for 38 games. Coaches always say they don't really know players until they coach them

I think we all agree that Bird and Brown have a decent (or better) working relationship.

Any past ties between Pritchard and Mike Brown? If not who are some of Pritchard's guys?

I know the argument that the Pacers don't want to hire a coach with the lockout looming. But IMO that would be a horrible mistake not to have a coach during the lockout - stupid boneheaded mistake. Last lockout ended very quickly and training camp started after only a couple of days, no time to hire a coach. Plus you need a coach for the draft in June.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-27-2011 at 11:28 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Would Mike Brown come aboard right now with his coaching staff

I was listening to some Podcast the last few days, I'm thinking it was Wells on MPOS or maybe on JMV.

It was said, Bird likes Brown and has an existing good relationship with him.

Sorry no link or a better reference. I've listened to like 5 podcasts in the last few days.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Banned

I'm thinking the same thing, does anybody knows if the new coach in Charlotte brought his own people? I agree with you UB it could be a mistake no to have a coach in the off season, how are the young guys going to know were to get better at if they don't have a coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been really sick for several days, so I'm still a little out of it. I would like to move the conversation forward, no not the overdone who do you want the next coach to be, but more lets focus on whether Mike Brown would come right now.

Couple of questions:

Did Mike Brown bring in his own coaching staff in Cleveland - or where they more of less picked for him? where did they scatter too - are they available.

I think Mike brown signed with ESPN - but I have not seen him at all - anyone else see him on ESPN?

Why wouldn't Mike Brown agree to come aboard now to evalauate the players for 38 games. Coaches always say they don't really know players until they coach them

I think we all agree that Bird and Brown have a decent (or better) working relationship.

Any past ties between Pritchard and Mike Brown? If not who are some of Pritchard's guys?

I know the argument that the Pacers don't want to hire a coach with the lockout looming. But IMO that would be a horrible mistake not to have a coach during the lockout - stupid boneheaded mistake. Last lockout ended very quickly and training camp started after only a couple of days, no time to hire a coach. Plus you need a coach for the draft in June.
    I think usually new coaches dont like to be associated with the defeat that the remaining 38 games will bring to their record.

But i think Mike Brown would coach this team tomorrow, if Larry asked him and gave him a decent contract. Its on Herb Simon for that. Mike said he took the year off to for his son to play HS football. Well HS football is done with.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I'm thinking the same thing, does anybody knows if the new coach in Charlotte brought his own people? I agree with you UB it could be a mistake no to have a coach in the off season, how are the young guys going to know were to get better at if they don't have a coach?
    Another excellent reason to have a head coach before a lockout.

Silas did bring in his own coaching staff. I don't know if any of Larry Brown's staff stuck around in any capacity

I did see Mike on ESPN one night, but it was mainly to talk up Lebron James during the NBA shoot Around. He was a special guest for the evening, and probably spent the most time talking answering Q's about James.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I agree with you UB it could be a mistake no to have a coach in the off season, how are the young guys going to know were to get better at if they don't have a coach?
    If there is a lockout, coaches and GMs are not allowed to have contact with players (or even name players during interviews). At least that's what I can recall from previous lockouts.

I'm sure stuff could be done under the radar and unofficially, but officially speaking, they are not supposed to be in contact during a lockout period.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    If there is a lockout, coaches and GMs are not allowed to have contact with players (or even name players during interviews). At least that's what I can recall from previous lockouts.

I'm sure stuff could be done under the radar and unofficially, but officially speaking, they are not supposed to be in contact during a lockout period.
    yea i remember in the last lockout it was Uncle Reggie and Mark Jackson who held the Pacers workouts/etc to keep the team ready to go once the lockout was over

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I was listening to some Podcast the last few days, I'm thinking it was Wells on MPOS or maybe on JMV.

It was said, Bird likes Brown and has an existing good relationship with him.

Sorry no link or a better reference. I've listened to like 5 podcasts in the last few days.
    I heard that as well on the radio.

That is true - no contract. But if I am a player and the team I play for doesn't have a coach that sends a bad message to me. I have no idea what style we are going to play, no idea what my coach wants me to work on during the offseason.

Did any team not have a coach during the 1999 lockout. I do know some of the players never recovered from the lockout. Several got fat and never returned to form.

Banned

I understand this, I'm just talking about goals for next year, for example when Jim told Josh to practice his three point shot.

All the more reason to change the coach now and establish the future system that the players will be running.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Problem is if Bird either isn't retained or doesn't want to come back, you've taken away the ability of the new GM to hire his own coach. I'd guess if you are going to bring in a new GM by choice or force, they would want to have the ability to pick his guy.

With that said, I love the idea of bringing in Mike Brown. I'd go so far to say, the Pacers would get one of the last two seeds, if they did this now, just from the breath of fresh air alone. Regardless of what you think about Obie.

What are the people on his former staff currently doing?

It just happened with Paul Silas, who hasn't coached in a few years. Maybe he would, but it seems unlikely that he'd coach right now if he were offered a job.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I did see Mike on ESPN one night, but it was mainly to talk up Lebron James during the NBA shoot Around. He was a special guest for the evening, and probably spent the most time talking answering Q's about James.
    He reminds me of Doug Collins everytime he talks about Michael Jordan

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    yea i remember in the last lockout it was Uncle Reggie and Mark Jackson who held the Pacers workouts/etc to keep the team ready to go once the lockout was over
    Man, I forgot about that. What a difference having great veteran leaders makes. If the same thing happened today who would lead the workouts for the Pacers? Granger and Hibbert? Maybe Foster? More importantly, who would show up?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Man, I forgot about that. What a difference having great veteran leaders makes. If the same thing happened today who would lead the workouts for the Pacers? Granger and Hibbert? Maybe Foster? More importantly, who would show up?
    You'll all laugh when I say this, and I know he won't even be under contract anymore, but my money would be on TJ Ford.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mike Brown.... lol. No freakin way man. He's best suited for what he was doing here, coaching defense... he's not head coach material.

Quote Originally Posted by FireTheCoach View Post
    Mike Brown.... lol. No freakin way man. He's best suited for what he was doing here, coaching defense... he's not head coach material.
    To be fair the guy did a good job in Cleveland. They went to the finals, they won alot of games in the regular season. Sure it helps to have Lebron. But he had to coach the other 14 players on the roster and Lebron doesn't get you 60 games by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    To be fair the guy did a good job in Cleveland. They went to the finals, they won alot of games in the regular season. Sure it helps to have Lebron. But he had to coach the other 14 players on the roster and Lebron doesn't get you 60 games by himself.
    not trying to be a smart alec, but based of cleveland record last year with lebron and this year with out lebron, maybe he does get you 60 games by himself.

We need a guy who can implement a half-decent offensive system.

I would rather have Mike Woodson...

Problem is if Bird either isn't retained or doesn't want to come back, you've taken away the ability of the new GM to hire his own coach. I'd guess if you are going to bring in a new GM by choice or force, they would want to have the ability to pick his guy.

With that said, I love the idea of bringing in Mike Brown. I'd go so far to say, the Pacers would get one of the last two seeds, if they did this now, just from the breath of fresh air alone. Regardless of what you think about Obie.
    What if Pritchard is going to be that guy and he is being consulted right now. I don't know

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    What if Pritchard is going to be that guy and he is being consulted right now. I don't know
    At this point I'm hoping that KP is the guy.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

We could get around this if the new coach is willing to come aboard on an interim status. That's what Charlotte did with Silas.

Not sure if Mike Brown would do that though. He's rumored to have turned down the Bobcats. But I suppose our team has a brighter future than the 'Cats.