Thread: The definition of a Pacer fan.

Default The definition of a Pacer fan.

Pacer Fans (Insanity): Watching (doing) the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

This is truly how I feel, Ive canceled my NBA league pass (I just couldn't justify spending my hard earned money on this JOB crap show) but I still usually have the box score up on my screen and watch the highlights on ESPN. For some strange reason I have hope that THIS is the game we turn things around and start to play well, thats fading fast, maybe reality is setting in, I don't know. I find myself less interested by the game and it's depressing, I'm NOT a fair weather fan but enough is enough changes need to be made and made fast. I cant be alone, can I?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MiaDragon For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The definition of a Pacer fan.

"You are not alone, I am here with you..."
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Banned

yes we are

The definition of a Pacer fan

masochist mas·och·ism (mās'ə-kĭz'əm)
    n.

.The act or an instance of deriving pleasure from being offended, dominated, or mistreated.

.The tendency to seek such mistreatment.

I don't think you're alone.

Most (if not all of us) here on PD are incredibly frustrated by the results we're seeing.

However, I've gotten to the point where I just look for the small things.

Examples:

George did a nice job tonight. Some of the shots didn't fall, but he made some nice plays nonetheless. He also got to play deep into the 4th which is a nice thing to see from him.

Also, AJ is looking better at the point. He just fits the team better, and backing up Darren he has done a pretty nice job.

Also, Hansbrough gives me encouragement on almost a nightly basis.

Things will turn around, hopefully. I always hope that "this will be the game that changes things", but odds are it won't be.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Everyone has their own definition. I'm not going to wear a brown bag on my head or even respond in that thread. No way this organization ever gets to be as bad as the Saints were in football. Granted, we have a ways to go, and I may from time to time question why I renewed my season tickets this past week, but I'm not a fair weather fan, and don't want my kids to be. I don't want this team leaving due to lack of support. So I will do what countless Saints fans did, and weather the storm, and take solace in, and appreciate the little things (e.g., Paul's upside, Collison's play, Foster's workmanlike approach to the game, etc.).

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

I saw part of the game (something else came up and I missed most of the game) although I didn't miss much apparently.

And yeah watching this team is painful on TV I can't imagine what its like live.

Its not the Pacers im frustrated about. They are young, talented and i wish them every day all the best. The Pacers are healthy, money wise, yes. These young and talented players where willing to ball. We could all see that in the beginning of this season. But there is another factor, wich im not gonna name, that is a virus for our Pacers. That virus is killing us now, making us every day more sick , but i know the players cant do anything about it. Its making the players sick to, so i feel empathy.

So im not less interested in our Pacers, im just feeling sorry for them. Thank god the sun is gonna shine soon, it will cure our virus.
    Last edited by DEEman; 01-27-2011 at 03:07 AM.
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Regardless of your views or positions, anybody still attending games regularly or frequenting this site on a regular basis is a true fan.

Except Kstat.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw part of the game (something else came up and I missed most of the game) although I didn't miss much apparently.

And yeah watching this team is painful on TV I can't imagine what its like live.
    Lately, it's been like being having Chinese water torture inflicted.
    Grown Man Ball

Yeah, I have basically stopped watching the games, although I do check box scores. If I lived in Indy I would probably still catch some of the games on TV, but they're too bad to merit paying for League Pass especially since the NBA is basically dead to me apart from the Pacers.

I look for some information from the box scores, like did DG score efficiently or chuck up a lot of shots, did Paul George play significant minutes, and did Roy Hibbert come into the game with a pulse or not. I used to earnestly look for Brandon Rush's status, but I've given up on him ever being more than a 7th or 8th many on any team.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I look for some information from the box scores, like did DG score efficiently or chuck up a lot of shots
    Just to comment on this, has there ever been a player have a worse 27 point scoring night than Granger last night?

What a meaningless point total from him.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    Pacer Fans (Insanity): Watching (doing) the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

This is truly how I feel, Ive canceled my NBA league pass (I just couldn't justify spending my hard earned money on this JOB crap show) but I still usually have the box score up on my screen and watch the highlights on ESPN. For some strange reason I have hope that THIS is the game we turn things around and start to play well, thats fading fast, maybe reality is setting in, I don't know. I find myself less interested by the game and it's depressing, I'm NOT a fair weather fan but enough is enough changes need to be made and made fast. I cant be alone, can I?

I joined the forum at the beginning of the season after years of lurking, and openly confessed to feeling exactly what you felt. I got a lot of "you are not a real fan" responses. But here's what I wrote, and shows I am right there with you:

[QUOTE]10-25-2010, 02:56 PM #1
    Remind me why I am a Pacers fan?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello PD:

I am a brand new poster here, but have been lurking here for years, so I feel like I know most of you.

I have been a die-hard Pacers fan since the moment I hung Clark Kellogg's # 33 life size growth chart in my room as a kid. At MSA I got to see MJ and Stockton and Malone and Isiah and Dominique and Barkley and Ewing. I got chosen to shoot the US Air timeout shots the night the Pacers became the only team to ever double the score of their opponents: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...802270IND.html (and missed my free throw front rim, my three pointer back rim, and my half court rimmed out, which still is one of my greatest 'almost' moments when a near sell-out crowd goes "aaahhhhhhh ... OOOOooooohhh' in anticipation during the shot). I lived downtown in 2000 and will never forget how fun it was to be in the finals.

Here's my problem. I am getting to the point where I just don't care much anymore about the blue and gold, and that scares me. It's one of the reasons I joined this forum. I have spent countless dollars on tickets and merchandise over the years, and have spent literally months (if not years) of my life following the teams, if you counted up every minute spent watching, listening, reading about, or talking about the games, the players, etc. I want to be interested, but I am not. The players are dull, the game seems less interesting, the referees manipulate the tempo, and the loyalty of cities-to-players, players-to-cities, and fans-to-their-hometown-team seem to have diminished.

I lived through some lean years and never wavered. I was a frequent poster on Indystar forums in the mid-90s during the years when the team was competitive but not yet really good. But it all 'feels' different now.

I don't mean for my first post here to be a downer. But... I need to be reminded: why am I still a fan? Why are you still a fan? Why should I care, and try to interest my elementary-aged son, particularly when we don't live in Indy any longer and have lots of regional distractions that do not involve the blue and gold.

Boo-woo, whoever said being a fan of a team was going to be easy

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Pistachios, cashews, almonds, hickorys, peanuts, walnuts, macadamias, chestnuts, Pacers fans (especially me)...

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    Lately, it's been like being having Chinese water torture inflicted.
    Yeah, I hear now they are just interrogating terrorist by making them watch a JOB coached game, and to top it off. Making them watch his press conference afterward. How did you guys think we found saddam hussein.

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Just to comment on this, has there ever been a player have a worse 27 point scoring night than Granger last night?

What a meaningless point total from him.
    Wasn't it against the Knicks last year that Granger scored 30 points in the first half, then scored 3 in the second, and we lost?
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Regardless of your views or positions, anybody still attending games regularly or frequenting this site on a regular basis is a true fan.

Except Kstat.
    Hey, what about me?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Hey, what about me?

That's a joke, right?