View Poll Results: Does this make O'Brien a Coward?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a cowardly act.

    28 96.55%
  • No, it's the best way to handle things.

    1 3.45%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 78

Thread: O'Brien's Handling of the Inactive List

  1. #1
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default O'Brien's Handling of the Inactive List

    I posted this in another thread, but the more I think about it, and how mad it makes me, the more I think it deserves it's own place to discuss the point by itself.

    What do you all think about this method of handling things?


    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    5. He probably communicates to his players better than he does to the public or the press.
    I was with you Peck, until this point. O'Brien has effectively stopped communicating with his players, other than as a group in practices, film sessions, or at games.

    There is literally zero one-on-one communication between an individual player and the coach.

    The biggest thing that blew my mind regarding this subject is the way O'Brien handles his ever-changing inactive list. He doesn't even have the guts to be the guy to inform the players that it is "their turn" to throw on a suit for the night.

    Say it is a home game like tonight starting at 7. The players will usually have a shoot around, or as O'Brien likes to do for some reason, they will have a full practice in the morning before the game. Usually they will be done before noon, and then the players will head home and take a nap or do whatever they do to prepare for a game night. At this point, they still have no idea which 12 are active, and which 3 are inactive.

    They return to the Fieldhouse between 4 and 5. When they return, in an incredibly cowardly move, the head trainer will then inform them if they have won the active/inactive lottery for the night.

    Not O'Brien. Not an assistant coach. Not any other basketball person. The trainer.

    O'Brien is not man enough to be the one to tell them so he passes along the duty to this trainer. He could easily do it during the morning workout when they go over the game plan for the night, or he could easily do it in the locker room when the team returns that night. But he doesn't have the balls, so he makes his trainer do it.
    Last edited by Mackey_Rose; 01-26-2011 at 02:25 PM.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  3. #2

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    I don't think it makes him a coward.

    I think it makes him a guy that sees himself above the team. They aren't important enough for him to communicate with. I think he's arrogant.

    So I assume this means that, as well as TJ not having any idea until shoot around that he would not be playing, AJ didn't know he would be playing either?

    How about Josh, did he have any clue he'd be going from Starter to inactive in the bat of an eye?

    Just wondering.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,620

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Ok, so this is news to me.

    I know how you know so I won't question you on this.

    If this is the case, this is just pathetic of O'Brien.

    BTW, is this new or is this how he has always done it?


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  6. #4
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,594

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    While I respect your connections based on previous conversations, there's an awful lot of emotional coloration in the post and the poll question.

    I personally think it seems like the wrong way to handle things, but to go as far as "cowardly" would require a more first-hand knowledge of how it is done and whether the procedure has been consistent throughout JOB's entire tenure.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  7. #5
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,928

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    I can't believe the players have absolutely zero knowledge has to who will be dressing and who won't be dressing that night.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  8. #6
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think it makes him a coward.

    I think it makes him a guy that sees himself above the team. They aren't important enough for him to communicate with. I think he's arrogant.
    This is a very good possible explanation. All of his actions make this seem about right. I agree with you, and I'm going with this. It's an arrogance issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I assume this means that, as well as TJ not having any idea until shoot around that he would not be playing, AJ didn't know he would be playing either?
    You assume correctly. Neither player knew before that Warriors game that AJ would be the first point guard off the bench. I'm sure AJ was surprised he was even active, then when O'Brien told him to check-in, I'm sure he was shocked.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How about Josh, did he have any clue he'd be going from Starter to inactive in the bat of an eye?
    No clue. It was never discussed between the team and coaches. As far as he knew, he was playing well and the job was still his. Likewise, Tyler was never even told he would be inserted into the starting lineup.

    They found out the same we we did. By reading Bruno's article on Pacers.com. Seriously.
    Last edited by Mackey_Rose; 01-26-2011 at 02:20 PM.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    JOB needs to man up and order a Miller Light?

  11. #8
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,816

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Explain to me why you are the one person who can say all of this without any sources?
    Obviously Peck gave you a pass, so whats the deal?

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,075

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Because it's obvious to the rest of us that he has inside sources. How else would he have started talking about Josh's campaign and the whole "White Men Can't Jump" theme before it was ever announced publically?
    Last edited by Since86; 01-26-2011 at 02:37 PM.

  14. #10
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,355

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Yeah, I'm with spazz on this. How do you know this stuff? Even if it is true...I don't know the guy. I'm not going to call him a coward. I'll say that I disagree with his methods, but coward is pretty strong.

  15. #11
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, so this is news to me.

    I know how you know so I won't question you on this.

    If this is the case, this is just pathetic of O'Brien.

    BTW, is this new or is this how he has always done it?
    This is how he has done it the whole season.

    In past seasons, it wasn't a big deal because there were only three, and at the most maybe four guys, who even needed to consider being inactive. So all those guys were usually pretty prepared for it.

    This season, it could pretty much be anybody with only a few exceptions.

  16. #12
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Ok, this is the type of stuff that makes me angry. No not Jim O'Brien, but this thread does. Criticize his coaching if you want that is fair game, but to get personal like this thread is I think is hitting below the belt.

    I'll ignore this thread from now on.

    Looks like Ford was told during shoot around

    http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...emotion-stride
    By Mike Wells

    Ford showed up ready for the team's shootaround prior to last week's game at Golden State when he was told not to worry about taking part.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-26-2011 at 01:59 PM.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,096

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    I'd go with the arrogant, aloof angle more than the coward angle on this. If there wasn't a thousand other things O'Brien does that I don't agree with then I could give him a pass on something like this.

    What I'd really like to know is if he's just as confusing and contradictory to the players as to what he wants as it seems to be to us watching from the outside.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  19. #14
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    I'm going to play the otherside here and just say. Shouldn't they prepare to play even if they end up on the bench, don't you want them to prepare as if they are going to play? Does it matter when they find out if they play?

    I guess you right that JOB should announce the list himself.

  20. #15
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,075

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like Ford was told during shoot around

    http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...emotion-stride
    By Mike Wells

    Ford showed up ready for the team's shootaround prior to last week's game at Golden State when he was told not to worry about taking part.

    It doesn't say who told him.

  21. #16
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It doesn't say who told him.
    Mackey also said that the player wasn't told at shootarounds, but 4 or 5 PM when they arrive for the game. Appears like with Ford he was told at shootaround

    How common is it for other head coaches to tell players who is on inactive list. I haven't the slightest idea

  22. #17
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,528

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    I mean coward? Thats strong.

    It's not how I would do it, nor is it cowardly, imo.

  23. #18
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    I think it's pretty tacky to call this thread "O'Brien is a Coward". Especially considering it was meant to ASK if other people thought so, and then to have you yourself say you don't think he is, but rather that he's arrogant.

  24. #19
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,928

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because it's obvious to the rest of us that he has inside sources. How else would he have started talking about Josh's campaign and the whole "White Men Can't Jump" theme before it was ever announced publically?
    Well Rush did tweet the pic of him and JMac in "White Men Can't Jump" gear months ago...

    However Mackey does have his sources, and while I feel there is some truth to what we're hearing here, I also feel like there may be some emotion clouding the full truth.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  25. #20
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,075

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mackey also said that the player wasn't told at shootarounds, but 4 or 5 PM when they arrive for the game. Appears like with Ford he was told at shootaround

    How common is it for other head coaches to tell players who is on inactive list. I haven't the slightest idea
    Well, it also doesn't say WHEN the shoot around was either. I'm not saying I'm judging it either way, just that Mackey has told us inside information, with the only possible way of knowing that information was to have inside information.

    Like I said earlier, the whole Josh dunk campaign pretty much solidified that question for me. Not only knowing what they were going to do, but saying he saw it beforehand, and knowing when exactly was going to be released.

    Too much info spread out over mutliple days, and information that was time sensitive (like not only when it was going to be released, when slam mag was going to get it, and the fact that you would need certain types of browsers to see it at first) to be just a rumor he grabbed and passed along. He clearly has day-to-day knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes.
    Last edited by Since86; 01-26-2011 at 02:37 PM.

  26. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Yeah even though I voted that he is a coward, I think that "coward" is an strong word, I would change it for arrogant and stubborn SOB, he is pretty much the type of guy you don't want as your boss.

  27. #22
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it's pretty tacky to call this thread "O'Brien is a Coward". Especially considering it was meant to ASK if other people thought so, and then to have you yourself say you don't think he is, but rather that he's arrogant.
    Can you change the thread title then? I wrote it before I even considered adding a poll onto it.

    I don't want the poll title taking away from the discussion, so please change it to end the confusion.

  28. #23
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,928

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote



    You assume correctly. Neither player knew before that Clippers game that AJ would be the first point guard off the bench. I'm sure AJ was surprised he was even active, then when O'Brien told him to check-in, I'm sure he was shocked.


    Ignoring the fact that AJ didn't even play in the Clippers game and assuming that this is just a typo where you meant to say Warriors, UB's quote pretty much contradicts what you're saying.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 01-26-2011 at 02:21 PM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  29. #24
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mackey also said that the player wasn't told at shootarounds, but 4 or 5 PM when they arrive for the game. Appears like with Ford he was told at shootaround

    How common is it for other head coaches to tell players who is on inactive list. I haven't the slightest idea
    I said, that's what happens at home games.

  30. #25
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,928

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O'Brien is a Coward

    Of course, now that I re-read that quote from Wells, it is very likely he could be referring to the shoot around IMMEDIATELY before the game as he does not specify a time. I need to chew on this a little bit I think.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Similar Threads

  1. Post-O'Brien criticisms re: Celtics/76ers
    By imawhat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 12-30-2010, 04:22 PM
  2. Andy Richter reuniting with Conan O'Brien for Tonight Show!
    By Hicks in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 09:31 PM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 02-05-2008, 07:25 PM
  4. O'Brien details clashes with Webber (SI.com)
    By avoidingtheclowns in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 07:47 PM
  5. Jim O'Brien interview from WTHR.com
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 08:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •