Thread: Car Salesman fired for sporting Packers tie @ Chicago

Default Car Salesman fired for sporting Packers tie @ Chicago

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ackers-tie-wgn
    Car salesman fired for sporting a Packers tie
    Man says he wore neckwear to honor his late grandmother
    January 24, 2011|By Dawn Rhodes, Tribune reporterJohn Stone said that when he went to work Monday morning at Webb Chevrolet in Oak Lawn, he decided to wear a Green Bay Packers tie he's had for years to honor his late grandmother, a huge Packers fan.

Little did he know that the seemingly innocent gesture would cost him his job, Stone said.

Stone said that when he showed up at work, general manager Jerry Roberts called him over to his office and then ordered him to take off the Packers tie or else he would be fired. Stone said he thought Roberts was joking and went back to work.

Ads by Google
    New Car Pricing
    Find out our Lowest Possible Price on a New Car Purchase or Lease! www.CarPriceSecrets.comThe Darker Side of Green
    See Why 97% of Luxury Hybrids on the Road Today are Lexus® Vehicles. www.Darkersideofgreen.comAdvertisement
    An hour later, Stone said, Roberts came to the showroom floor and again demanded he take off the tie. When he didn't, he was fired, Stone said.

"I didn't know you could get fired for wearing a tie," said Stone, 34, of Chicago's Roseland neighborhood. "I'm supposed to dress up. I'm a car salesman."

Stone's grandmother died recently and was buried on Friday, two days before the NFC championship game, he said.

Asked by a WGN-TV reporter if he'd fired Stone for wearing a Packers tie, Roberts said, "Correct."

Roberts said the dealership had previously done promotions involving the Chicago Bears. "I don't feel that it was appropriate for him to go directly in contrast with an advertising campaign that we spent a lot of money on," Roberts told WGN reporter Judie Garcia.

But Stone said Roberts' reasons for firing him were never made clear to him, nor did he get a chance to explain the tie's emotional significance. Roberts told WGN-TV he didn't know that Stone's grandmother was a Packers fan.

"I don't know why he did it, I really don't," Stone said. "That's hurtful. I thought I was a good salesman

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Car Salesman fired for sporting Packers tie @ Chicago

So this guy's dealership I'm sure is a "Proud Sponsor of the Chicago Bears" and he thought wearing a Packer tie was going to be cool with his bosses? If that's the case, he should be fired for incompetence anyhow. Just like that kid in Seattle who wore Pittsburgh gear to his schools Seattle Seahawks day and his whole family can't understand why the big bad meanie principal is trampling on their poor baby's freedom of expression.

Did he think that Chicagoans would be more likely to buy a car from him if he wore the Packers tie? Bizarre.

woman without a team

He's already got a new job at another dealership.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did he think that Chicagoans would be more likely to buy a car from him if he wore the Packers tie? Bizarre.
    That's the real question. The guy must have just wanted a day where he would be left alone at his desk. Either way he probably didn't deserve to be fired.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

This is ridiculous, as is the one about the kid in school. These fans need to get over themselves.

Even if we're talking a sponsorship, they're sponsoring someone/something for the exposure to potential customers, not to forbid anone from consuming their rival's products.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wink Re: Car Salesman fired for sporting Packers tie @ Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is ridiculous, as is the one about the kid in school. These fans need to get over themselves.

Even if we're talking a sponsorship, they're sponsoring someone/something for the exposure to potential customers, not to forbid anone from consuming their rival's products.
    The sponsorship is a partnership between two businesses. They are using each other. Like it or not, there are a certain percentage of people who would walk into the dealership, see his Packers tie, walk right back out, and tell all of their friends not to go buy any cars from those dirty Packer fans down at Webb Chevrolet in Oak Lawn. The car business is no different from anything else. You are what you appear to be, and they apparently felt it was in their best interest not to appear to be Packers fans in the greater Chicago area.