Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about engagement rings

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Question about engagement rings

I have read and heart from a few people you are expected to spend 3 months of your salary on a ring.

Is this a outdated practice? I am all for spending some money on a ring (and I understand some people stay start small and upgrade, but there are others the initial ring means more and they never want tup upgrade because of sentamental value) but 3 months salary seems like a lot.

What is your guys (or gals) opinion?

Also, are there any stores to 100% stay away from? (I only really know of the big names like Tiffanys and Kay). I refuse to do any online shopping, but I do plan on doing some window shopping before I even seriously consider where I am going to buy it.

Thanks,

-VA

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Question about engagement rings

Tiffany and Co. for the win. Every girl I know has a soft spot for that little blue box. It could have a big stinking turd inside of it and you'd still get some action later.

In fact, buy the ring somewhere else, and then go ask for a box from Tiffany and Co.

In all seriousness, Tiffany's is a good place from what I know, I would just spend whatever you feel like you can, but that's just how I would do it. It's probably a personal choice in the end.

And if this means you're going to be taking the plunge, Congrats!

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You know who says the rule of thumb is three months salary? Jewelry stores, that's who. Nobody else. The idea of three months salary came from DeBeers, who if you don't know, has a near monopoly on the world's diamond supply. It's THEM who wants you to spend three months salary.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

3 months salary is a myth as travmil says started by the jewelry stores

I know everything is to be special and all but.......check with a pawn shop for the best quality big stone you can find and have it remounted from a dealer. Any dealer will write you an appraisal for around $50 bucks. I know it sounds like a cheap way to go, but what you pay in a pawn shop for a $1000 is normally $2000 to $3000 you pay at the Shane Company.
    Last edited by RWB; 09-29-2010 at 01:40 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know everything is to be special and all but.......check with a pawn shop for the best quality big stone you can find and have it remounted from a dealer. Any dealer will write you an appraisal for around $50 bucks. I know it sounds like a cheap way to go, but what you pay in a pawn shop for a $1000 is normally $2000 to $3000 you pay at the Shane Company.
    You have to know what you're doing at a pawnshop though. Those are full of bad diamonds and they are trying to make as much money as they can. If you educate yourself just a little bit though you can spot bad/fake diamonds from a mile away. I have a friend who got burned on a fake diamond from a pawn shop. He didn't find out it was fake until years later when they went to upgrade and the jeweler he took it to told him. The shop he bought it from had closed by then.

Thanks guys.

I am not opposed to looking at places like a pawn shop (though I am hoping to find a "set") but I am really afraid of getting burned.

Nerd.
    Mood

Buy what you can afford. Nothing more; nothing less. If the relationship is meant to last, then there'll be plenty of time for future jewelry gifts...

Mood

I just took the wife to the jewelry store and let her pick what she wanted. It went pretty well and she actually went with a cheaper option than I was planning for. I asked her sister for the advise to do that.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    In all seriousness, Tiffany's is a good place from what I know
    They serve a great breakfast.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Mood

And if I recall, I think, we both kind of liked it.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pig Nash For This Useful Post:

Well then, that's one thing we've got.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    3 months salary is a myth as travmil says started by the jewelry stores
    Amen.

I almost did a spit take when I heard one of my friends tell me that rule when I was looking for rings for my engagement. The problem is that a lot of girls buy into that crap because they want to flaunt a big ring in other girls faces. Hopefully you found yourself a good girl who does not rate the level of your commitment to her based on the size of the ring.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I'm a jewelry designer by training and even had my own line going for a while. The second biggest myth behind engagement/wedding rings is that women want a big rock on a little band. Actually, about 40% of women (by my guess) find rings with this design either tacky, impractical or both).

The classiest move you can make is to buy a simple gold band with the date of the day you "pop" the question ingraved on the inside. THEN, you take her shopping (with a budget in mind) and she can choose the ring herself. This is thoughtful in more ways than one.

The gold ring will be an important symbol and a great keepsake for her that she can wear on a chain or on her right hand AND she also gets the engagement ring/wedding band of her choosing (and one that FITS, TOO!)

You wouldn't believe how many engagement rings are bought at the wrong size.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 09-30-2010 at 02:49 PM.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Like jeffg-body, I took my future bride (now of 23+ years) to various stores and had her pick out what she wanted.

Interestingly, with no prompting from me and no budgetary constraints set, without even looking at price (because the store we ended up purchasing from didn't display pricing on anything) she picked out what turned out to be one of the cheapest 3 ring sets in the entire store, and it was only because it was the set that most struck her fancy after going to about 5 different stores. Yep, I really lucked out there, but it also happens that she really doesn't like shopping overall, either, so I lucked out that way in the far longer term as well!

About 5 years later, my wife decided to go to pawn shops and got a great deal on a larger diamond that had the cut she liked, and had the setting on her engagement ring upgraded to fit the larger stone, but she kept, and still has, the original diamond because of what it represents from a sentimental standpoint.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Thank you all.

LA, funny you should say that. She mentioned class rings yesterday so it gave me a perfect chance to ask her size. Only problem is she got her size by oen of those "paper" slips in the mail things that measure your finger. I think I may go get her sized a a real jewlry store when I go down next month.

Just to clarify one thing I thought I put in the main post. I am all for "upgrading" over the years, but my girlfriend has made it clear she likes the sentimental value of the original ring, and short of cleaning and resizing as neccessary, she does not want to upgrade the ring at all.

That said, thanks for all your input. I am thinking in the next few weeks I am going to look at a budget and see what I can find, and then pray things work out in the end.

One of my favorite quotes is "If it is meant to be, then it is meant to be". Hopefully this is meant to be

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    Amen.

I almost did a spit take when I heard one of my friends tell me that rule when I was looking for rings for my engagement. The problem is that a lot of girls buy into that crap because they want to flaunt a big ring in other girls faces. Hopefully you found yourself a good girl who does not rate the level of your commitment to her based on the size of the ring.
    I am the one who LOVES guady. She likes simple and classic.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    The classiest move you can make is to buy a simple gold band with the date of the day you "pop" the question ingraved on the inside. THEN, you take her shopping (with a budget in mind) and she can choose the ring herself. This is thoughtful in more ways than one.
    This. I can't believe I've never heard of this idea. What a great way to do it.

Buy what you can afford. I did and my wife loves it and would never upgrade.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Buy what you can afford.

I am recently married.

The whole "three months salary" on the rings is absolute horse****. My wife and I picked out our rings together and we bought very very affordable ones. Both of us appreciate living within our means and will upgrade someday when we're done with grad school and have better jobs. Then again our wedding was very casual and non-traditional, no white dresses or tuxedos involved, so maybe we're just weird.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I am recently married.

The whole "three months salary" on the rings is absolute horse****. My wife and I picked out our rings together and we bought very very affordable ones. Both of us appreciate living within our means and will upgrade someday when we're done with grad school and have better jobs. Then again our wedding was very casual and non-traditional, no white dresses or tuxedos involved, so maybe we're just weird.
    Thank you (and everyone) for the input.

I do not find that weird at all.

I know I want a bit more of a traditional wedding just because my family is Catholic and I want to get married in a more formal ceremony, but my g.f. wants to get married on a beach, so there will be a lot of compromising (hopefully)

As for the ring what I have decided to do is start putting a portion of each paycheck to the side starting this month. Then I will see how much I have saved and how much I am willing to put on credit (I have been really good about avoiding credit lately)

Also I love jewlry, and as I just got myself some new jewlry I have been asking her input or many things, including rings, which has helped a lot. (she actually hates flasy and guady and is more attracted to simple, but she seems to really like the "heart" shaped diamonds.

I spent $300 for my wife's ring -- 39 years ago -- my son just spent $17,000 for one.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

$17,000?

Considering I spent probably twice that on business travel last year, I guess that's not very much. But spending it on something that can easily fall down a storm drain or get lost at the beach? Yeeks.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

13 years ago I spent $750 not including the wrap which was my wedding present to her and it was $350.

My wife always laughs at me because I used a coupon and the ring was on sale at Helzberg diamonds....... But she wsn't stck on the money and would have been justas happy if it was cheaper too....

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Gyron For This Useful Post: