Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: .500 finish is very attainable: Third times a charm!

Default Re: .500 finish is very attainable: Third times a charm!

Invigorating win tonight. I thought it slipped away but the guys responded as good as you could hope in OT and we pulled out the W. With Danny and Tyler fouled out, I doubt we would have won if it went into double OT. Only bad thing about tonight's overtime is it expended that much more energy from our guys with little recovery time before Memphis tomorrow night. Lets hope we don't come out flat.

As it stands we are:

3-6 against Group A (9-4)
    6-7 against Group B (9-9)
    4-0 against Group C (4-2)
    1-1 against Group D (3-1)

*Note record in parenthesis is what I projected us to be against that group.

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland(W), Portland(W), Utah(L), Phoenix(L), Golden State(W), Oklahoma City(L), Dallas(L), Houston(L), Philadelphia(L), Memphis, Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta

3-6 against Group A (9-4)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago(1L,1W), Toronto(1W,1L), Miami(2L), Charlotte(1W), Minnesota(1W,1L), Milwaukee(1W), Washington(1W), Boston(1L)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): New York(2W) and New Jersey(2W)

Group D (teams Pacers face 4 times the rest of the season): Detroit(1W,1L)

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thumbs down Re: .500 finish is very attainable: Third times a charm!

I think this thread is silly. So what if the Pacers finish with a .500 record, do we celebrate here and toast the team for reaching the throne of mediocrity?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this thread is silly. So what if the Pacers finish with a .500 record, do we celebrate here and toast the team for reaching the throne of mediocrity?
    If you think the thread is silly don't read it. .500 is progress, and with a very young team you need to make progress to before you can win championships.

BTW, beating Chicago last nite was a rush!

I would normally be with you in regards to celebrating mediocrity, however with this team and our record over the past 5 years I would say yes reaching the .500% level would be a time for celebration.

Considering what we would have to do to reach .500% right now if we could reach it I would think it would be cause to go bat $h!t insane crazy with celebration.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I understand what your saying and perhaps it is mediocrity but I see having a .500 record as being able to say you don't have a losing record. 41-41 is NOT a losing season... nor is it a winning season but at least its not a losing record. Does the coaching staff enter each season saying "lets go out and lose as many games as we win this year boys!" No. But considering we've had losing records each of the past 4 seasons and we've been woefully below .500 at the halfway mark each one of those season (which is when I start this thread), I think finishing .500 is not only a good goal to have at that point but a necessary step for this young team to break through into respectability.

This season? Absolutely. Because it's a marked improvement.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think "X" number of wins automatically means improvement, especially when X < 42. If the team continues playing the rest of the season as they played against New York and Chicago, that's improvement, no matter if the win column says 36, 38, or 41.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

As I feared, we came out incredibly flat tonight. Memphis put their foot on our throats in the first 5 minutes of the game and never let up. 2 more losses and the .500 finish is over.

As it stands we are:

3-7 against Group A (9-4)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland(W), Portland(W), Utah(L), Phoenix(L), Golden State(W), Oklahoma City(L), Dallas(L), Houston(L), Philadelphia(L), Memphis(L), Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago(1L,1W), Toronto(1W,1L), Miami(2L), Charlotte(1W), Minnesota(1W,1L), Milwaukee(1W), Washington(1W), Boston(1L)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): New York(2W) and New Jersey(2W)

Just realized I did not update the thread after Monday's win. I admittedly did not see the first half. I turned it on in the 3rd quarter and Chris was screaming "And the Pacers are on an 20-4 run!" or something like that which made me wonder how far down we must have been in the first half considering we were up just 5 points. We're doing great in Group C. I was pumped for tonight's game against Charlotte because this game is probably the most meaningful game we've had in 5 years. Excited to see the Pacers play in big games again.

As it stands we are:

5-0 against Group C (4-2)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland(W), Portland(W), Utah(L), Phoenix(L), Golden State(W), Oklahoma City(L), Dallas(L), Houston(L), Philadelphia(L), Memphis(L), Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): New York(2W) and New Jersey(3W)

Terrific win tonight. Solid team effort. This game was very important for our playoff hopes and we made a nice step forward tonight. We have one of those trap games Friday at home vs Sacramento. Our guys have had a tendency in the past to let those "should win" games turn into "what went wrong" games. Here's hoping we come out of the gates strong.
    As it stands we are:

7-7 against Group B (9-9)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago(1L,1W), Toronto(1W,1L), Miami(2L), Charlotte(2W), Minnesota(1W,1L), Milwaukee(1W), Washington(1W), Boston(1L)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): New York(2W) and New Jersey(3W)

My fears came to fruition last night with the "what went wrong" assessment. .500 chances pretty much just went from slim to none. No way we go 9-0. If we decide not to show up again tonight then my next post may very well be my last in this thread.

As it stands we are:

3-8 against Group A (9-4)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland(W), Portland(W), Utah(L), Phoenix(L), Golden State(W), Oklahoma City(L), Dallas(L), Houston(L), Philadelphia(L), Memphis(L), Sacramento(L), New Orleans, Atlanta

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago(1L,1W), Toronto(1W,1L), Miami(2L), Charlotte(2W), Minnesota(1W,1L), Milwaukee(1W), Washington(1W), Boston(1L)

Well I think we can stick a fork in this now.

Don't take this the wrong way but I really hope we don't have to do this thread again next season (whenever that is). I'd much rather talk about how many games to reach 50 wins instead.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Hats off to you for this thread phree not being sarcacstic either. I'm very down lately on the team, but it's nice to see someone with a positive outlook. I definately can't do it.

AND ITS FINISHED! At least I can find some solace in the fact that with just 8 games left, in the past 3 years this was the latest its taken before .500 became impossible. I'll update the thread once more at the end of the year so we can see what we finished against each group. One bright spot from last night was that Derrick Rose drained the Bucks in the 4th quarter which keeps them at bay temporarily. We ultimately have 2 game lead on Charlotte since we own tie breaker. If we would have beat Sac and Det we'd of been just 1.5 back of the Knicks and still have a game against them in April. Now sitting at 3.5 back I think we'd pretty well have to win out and them only win 2 or 3 of their remaining games in order to catch them.

Thanks for all the support you've all shown me for the thread this year. Here's hoping this thread will not be needed next year

As it stands we are:

1-2 against Group D (3-1)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland(W), Portland(W), Utah(L), Phoenix(L), Golden State(W), Oklahoma City(L), Dallas(L), Houston(L), Philadelphia(L), Memphis(L), Sacramento(L), New Orleans, Atlanta

Group D (teams Pacers face 4 times the rest of the season): Detroit(1W,2L)

1-2 against Group D (3-1)

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post: