Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .500 finish is very attainable: Third times a charm!

Default Re: .500 finish is very attainable: Third times a charm!

OKC pounced on us early and kept us at arm's length for the remainder of the game. Hope the guys will get some rest and have a good showing in Dallas tomorrow.

As it stands we are:

3-3 against Group A (9-4)
    5-4 against Group B (9-9)
    2-0 against Group C (4-2)
    1-1 against Group D (3-1)

*Note record in parenthesis is what I projected us to be against that group.

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland(W), Portland(W), Utah(L), Phoenix(L), Golden State(W), Oklahoma City(L), Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, Memphis, Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta

3-3 against Group A (9-4)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago(1L), Toronto(1W), Miami(2L), Charlotte(1W), Minnesota(1W), Milwaukee(1W), Washington(1W), Boston

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): New York and New Jersey(2W)

Group D (teams Pacers face 4 times the rest of the season): Detroit(1W,1L)

Phree - I am enjoying this thread, but one thing your analysis doesn't take into account is that the month of march isn't extremely difficuylt because of who the Pacers play but rather how many games they play. Pacers are tired right now and the schedule is relentless - that has and will continue to impact the Pacers ability to play well

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's definitely going to be difficult to get back to .500 but I still think a 39-43 record is possible.

This month of March has tons of back-to-backs and road games.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Phree - I am enjoying this thread, but one thing your analysis doesn't take into account is that the month of march isn't extremely difficuylt because of who the Pacers play but rather how many games they play. Pacers are tired right now and the schedule is relentless - that has and will continue to impact the Pacers ability to play well
    Mitigated, according to Frank, by players logging under 30 mpg. Or do you not believe him?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    Mitigated, according to Frank, by players logging under 30 mpg. Or do you not believe him?
    Playing less than 30 mpg might help, but you can be exhausted from more than just on-the-floor time. Constantly playing on away courts, not having your routine, travel time impinging on down time and routines, all kinds of other things. Add in that playing all your active players pretty much guarantees you are going to have unfamiliar and disruptive lineups on the floor, and it isn't some kind of magic bullet.

He didn't say guys wouldn't be tired because of his playing time strategy. He said he was going to reduce playing time in order to help, not fix, the situation.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post

I only have a second, so this is probably going to come across more negative than I intend.

If Frank can get his players to believe it, more power to him, but I don't buy that argument. (actually Bill has beat me to it)

This type of schedule has a longer term impact than a few games. I always figure two days between games is needed to recover. 1 day between is status quo. back to back games zaps the energy.

if the pacers had 3 days off before last night the pacers still would not have won the game, but it would have been competitive.

One thing I'm banking on is the fact that the later in March we get the more likely some of our opponents will begin to enter "tank" mode. In the last 6 games of March we play Jersey, Sacramento, and Detroit twice. I imagine at least two of those teams will have their eyes turned toward the lottery rather than winning. I'm not saying that they'll roll over an die for us but the thought of tanking in their minds may be enough to offset the exhaustion our team will be facing.
    Last edited by Phree Refill; 03-04-2011 at 01:01 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

There's no way we go 6-1 against Group A. In fact, 1-6 is far more plausible against those teams.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

LOL

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Another loss last night. I did not expect us to win either game against OKC or Dallas so both losses are not devastating to our .500 push. Shade is probably right though. We'd have to go 6-0 the rest of the way in Group A to hit that goal and thats not very likely. BUT Group B may present some opportunities to erase some of the Group A losses. We've had a decent start to Group B at 5-4 and I was predicting a 9-9 record for Group B. So there are plenty of chances to exceed the Group B goal.

As it stands we are:

3-4 against Group A (9-4)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland(W), Portland(W), Utah(L), Phoenix(L), Golden State(W), Oklahoma City(L), Dallas(L), Houston, Philadelphia, Memphis, Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta

3-4 against Group A (9-4)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago(1L), Toronto(1W), Miami(2L), Charlotte(1W), Minnesota(1W), Milwaukee(1W), Washington(1W), Boston

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): New York and New Jersey(2W)

Tonight is a critical game for my .500 path because if we lose we'll be 2 games behind on my predictions. I think its certainly a winable game. If we play with the same intensity as last night I think it may be enough to get a win against Houston.

I think, had we started the season with Vogel, .500 would have been a realistic goal. In fact, since Frank took over, we have beaten every sub-.500 team except Detroit, and lost to every winning team except Portland, putting us directly on pace to do exactly that.

However, due to Jim putting us in a 10-game hole, I just don't see that as being surmountable at this point.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I think, had we started the season with Vogel, .500 would have been a realistic goal. In fact, since Frank took over, we have beaten every sub-.500 team except Detroit, and lost to every winning team except Portland, putting us directly on pace to do exactly that.

However, due to Jim putting us in a 10-game hole, I just don't see that as being surmountable at this point.
    I agree and at the All-Star break I was predicting us to finish at 41-41, but we've lost to some teams I thought we would upset so I see us finishing about 4 games below .500.

Group A is officially a FAIL. We can no longer achieve the Group A goal. This puts a lot of pressure on us to overachieve in the Group B & C. We simply looked gassed last night. The scary part is its only the first part of March. Its only going to get worse as the month goes on. 6 more losses before .500 is no longer attainable. We have a run of more winnable games coming up so hopefully we take advantage of this part of the schedule and get back on solid footing.

As it stands we are:

3-5 against Group A (9-4)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland(W), Portland(W), Utah(L), Phoenix(L), Golden State(W), Oklahoma City(L), Dallas(L), Houston(L), Philadelphia, Memphis, Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta

3-5 against Group A (9-4)

Last night was my 3rd miscue in just a little over a week. We are becoming very hard to watch. It looks almost as though they don't want to be out there. I would really like to see Hansbrough and George start. I know Vogel wants them both coming off the bench to provide an offensive punch but after watching Rush do absolutley nothing last night I'm ready for him to be demoted. If the other team doesn't have a high scoring 2 or 3 starting then there is NO REASON Rush should be starting. His defense is not needed to slow down players who scores <10 points a game ala Jodie Meeks. On the offensive end Rush was non existent. He never drives the ball and pretty much just stands in the corner farthest away from the ball as possible. I was skeptical of the people who thought Mike Dunleavy being out was the reason for our recent slide but I tell you what, I'm starting to not discredit that notion.

As it stands we are:

3-6 against Group A (9-4)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland(W), Portland(W), Utah(L), Phoenix(L), Golden State(W), Oklahoma City(L), Dallas(L), Houston(L), Philadelphia(L), Memphis, Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta

Well I got my Hansbrough/George wish but it didn't help much. I think this helps point more responsibility at Granger, DC, and Roy for the poor play of the starters. My least favorite "play" that I see every game is the Granger quick fire 3. It absolutely drives me nuts when only 6 seconds tick off the shot clock and Granger is launching a 3. Whats worse is he's in a horrible slump right now so it just compounds the issue. 4 losses away from .500 failure.

As it stands we are:

5-5 against Group B (9-9)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland(W), Portland(W), Utah(L), Phoenix(L), Golden State(W), Oklahoma City(L), Dallas(L), Houston(L), Philadelphia(L), Memphis, Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago(1L), Toronto(1W), Miami(2L), Charlotte(1W), Minnesota(1W,1L), Milwaukee(1W), Washington(1W), Boston

5-5 against Group B (9-9)

Lets hope Vogel makes the guys drink Tiger Blood before Friday's game.
    Last edited by Phree Refill; 03-10-2011 at 08:27 AM.

5 more games, err, I mean, uh, 5 more losses, until you can go on vacation yet again, Refill.

Seriously though, I enjoy these threads when you do them. Hopefully next time you'll finally get a happier outcome.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    5 more games, err, I mean, uh, 5 more losses, until you can go on vacation yet again, Refill.

Seriously though, I enjoy these threads when you do them. Hopefully next time you'll finally get a happier outcome.
    Hopefully we won't need a next time. Wouldn't it be nice to have a year where we weren't striving for a mediocre record.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Hopefully we won't need a next time. Wouldn't it be nice to have a year where we weren't striving for a mediocre record.

I was going to say the same thing. Hopefully next year we finally won't need a thread like this. I appreciate the kind words and encouragement eveyone has extended to me this year though and if one is needed next year perhaps I'll finally get it to work out. And this year isn't quite over yet. We're still on life support. 14-4 isn't likely but not impossible either.
    Last edited by Phree Refill; 03-12-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post

14-4 isn't likely but not imopossible either.

I haven't read this thread, so maybe someone has already mentioned it. In order for the Pacers to match Jimmy's 2 best seasons of 36-46, they have to play .500 ball and win 9 of the next 18 games. I just don't see it happening let alone going 14-4, not with the schedule and the way they are currently playing.

The losses continue to pile up. 4 losses away from official .500 failure.

As it stands we are:

5-6 against Group B (9-9)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago(1L), Toronto(1W,1L), Miami(2L), Charlotte(1W), Minnesota(1W,1L), Milwaukee(1W), Washington(1W), Boston

At least we have performed well in Group C so far. If we can pull off a win Tuesday we'll have achieved the goal for Group C. Lets hope we continue the momentum built from tonight's game.

As it stands we are:

3-0 against Group C (4-2)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago(1L), Toronto(1W,1L), Miami(2L), Charlotte(1W), Minnesota(1W,1L), Milwaukee(1W), Washington(1W), Boston

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): New York(1W) and New Jersey(2W)

3-0 against Group C (4-2)

Just as Group A became a fail, Group C has become SUCCESS! We've reached our Group C goal and still have a one more game against both the Knicks and Nets. I doubt we win both of those but it is looking like we'll have a very good opportunity to get one of 4 games back that we threw to Phoenix, Houston, Philly, and Toronto (at least in regards to my predictions). I only had us beating the Knicks once and the Nets 3 times so if we take care of business against the Nets we'll for sure be able to erase one of those aforementioned unplanned losses. Good win last night.

As it stands we are:

4-0 against Group C (4-2)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): New York(2W) and New Jersey(2W)

Closer to the edge. One thing is for sure, Paul Pierce has to scream more than any other player in the league when he drives to the basket as if he's being brutally stabbed. Him and Vince Carter are prolly 1 and 2 all time. The sad part is, their screaming usually is rewarded with foul calls.

As it stands we are:

5-7 against Group B (9-9)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago(1L), Toronto(1W,1L), Miami(2L), Charlotte(1W), Minnesota(1W,1L), Milwaukee(1W), Washington(1W), Boston(1L)

5-7 against Group B (9-9)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): New York(2W) and New Jersey(2W)

Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    One thing is for sure, Paul Pierce has to scream more than any other player in the league when he drives to the basket as if he's being brutally stabbed.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

We only have 2 games buffer to lose before the .500 record is unreachable, again. But a slight chance is still a chance...hopefully we can achieve this even if the odds are against it.