Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: .500 finish is very attainable: Third times a charm!

Default .500 finish is very attainable: Third times a charm!

Back for year 3! As many of you know, the past two years at the midway point I've started the most optimistic thread in the history of the universe. Well... tis the season. I only hope that my nauseating enthusiasm will at least bring some joy to a few people. But before I jump into the meat of this thread, Iíd like to say a few things.

As Iíve visited the board the past couple months, I can honestly say that the overall mood on the board is easily the darkest itís been in the 4 years Iíve been reading it. I fully understand that lately there hasnít been too much to be excited about but it seems to me that members have been taking their frustrations out on other posters. The thing I enjoyed most about PD is the exceptional depth that usually accompanies each post. However over the past 2 months on several occasions while reading various threads Iíve actually found myself becoming a little embarrassed at the poisonous things other posters have been typing, both directed at the team and at other posters. Donít get me wrong, I am certainly all for voicing individual opinions. But there is a clear line between thoughtful objection and pure hatred. The unfortunate part is as the negativity has increased, Iíve noticed the frequency of contributions by some of my favorite posters has decreased. Whether the two are connected I do not know but a part of me believes they are not completely unrelated.

Iím not saying we all need to put on a happy face and be oblivious to negative things the team goes through. But I donít think itís too much to ask that we simply stop and put some thought into what weíre about to post and consider if it is potentially offensive to other members. PD may not mean much to some of you (and I can respect that) but I believe it is one of the best sports forums on the internet as evidenced by the fact that it is frequented by players and media personalities alike. Lets represent it with class.

-----

Now that I got that out of the wayÖ time for the whole point of this thread. Like I stated above, for those of you who have been around the past couple years you know that I have started a thread laying out a path for us reach .500. Unfortunately weíve came up short both years. Two years ago we were 15-26 at the half way point. We finished the season 21-20 for a 36-46 record but it was not until the last 10 games or so before .500 was no longer reachable. Last year we were 14-27 midways and just 21 games later .500 became impossible. We finished 16-25 for a 30-52 record. Both years once .500 became mathematically impossible I abandoned the thread.

The good news for this year is that weíve had the ďbestĒ start to the season in 3 years with a 16-25 record. Perhaps we can turn things around in the next 41 to finally achieve the .500 goal. As in years past Iíve broken the schedule down into groups; groups based upon the number of games we have against each team from here on out. So Group A is teams we play once more the rest of the season. Group B is teams we play twice more the rest of the season. Group C three times and Group D 4 times. We no longer play the Clippers, Lakers, Nuggets, or Spurs this year. That alone is a big advantage spotted to us for the second half.

This yearís Group A shapes up like this:
    Cleveland, Portland, Utah, Phoenix, Golden State, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, Memphis, Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta

Looking through those teams I think we need to pull a 9-4 record out of this group. Iíll go ahead and share my ďpredictionsĒ and say I think weíll only loose to Utah, Oklahoma City, Dallas, and New Orleans. I think the other games are certainly winnable for this team with the toughest being Atlanta. I think we stop them from sweeping us this season.

Group B looks like this:
    Orlando, Chicago, Toronto, Miami, Charlotte, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Washington, Boston

I think weíll pull one game from Chicago, Charlotte and Minnesota and take both games from Toronto, Milwaukee and Washington for a 9-9 record in Group B. This group is the wildcard of the bunch as it presents the most chances to ďstealĒ games Iím not anticipating us to win. It may be turn out to be the key group to reaching this yearís goal.

Group C this year is New York and New Jersey. I think we can pull all three games from New Jersey and one game from New York for a 4-2 Group C record.

Interestingly enough Group D is the same this year as last. Detroit. Iím giving us one throw away game to the Pistons for a 3-1 Group D record. That gets us to 25-16 for the second half of the season.

So it breaks down like this:

0-0 against Group A (9-4)
    0-0 against Group B (9-9)
    0-0 against Group C (4-2)
    0-0 against Group D (3-1)

*Note record in parenthesis is what I projected us to be against that group.

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland, Portland, Utah, Phoenix, Golden State, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, Memphis, Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando, Chicago, Toronto, Miami, Charlotte, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Washington, Boston

0-0 against Group B (9-9)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): New York and New Jersey

Group D (teams Pacers face 4 times the rest of the season): Detroit

We kick this thing off Wednesday with a chance to immediately steal a game I did not allot for us to win against Orlando. It could be a huge start for our .500 aspirations.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: .500 finish is very attainable: Third times a charm!

A fool's errand for the third straight year.

I applaud the dedication to your cause however.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always heard the definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, just saying.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This year I'm just not feeling it, but I still love the optimism.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll ride this train.
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

I will too.

According to ESPN, our strength of schedule is 8th highest in the NBA.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS

Teams at the top and bottom of the league also have a tendency to get worse near the end of the season, as they either tank or take their foot off the gas to get ready for the playoffs.

Teams in the middle, like ours, often put together good stretches near the end of the season. I bet we finish pretty close to 0.500. Hollinger's playoff odds, which is not the greatest measure but does a good job of incorporating strength of schedule for making future projections, picks us to finish at 37-45. And there's a reasonable chance we do better than that. I think we'll finish close to 40 wins.

We are not the first mediocre team to struggle on a West Coast road trip.
    2010 IKL Fantasy Basketball Champion Baltimore Bulldogs

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thumbs down Re: .500 finish is very attainable: Third times a charm!

Good grief.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mood

We always make a late push,so...who knows?

I'm for playing the young guys and seeing what happens. I don't care if that ends with us having a better pick or us making the playoffs. I don't care if it means barely missing the playoffs. I just want Posey to stop playing,and George/Rush/Price/Hans/McBob/Hibby to see as much of the floor as they can handle.

IIRC we started winning games last season once the young guys started seeing more floor time. I could see it happening again. I think George getting more minutes might just give us the spark on offense we need. Then again,O'Brien seems to enjoy playing vets at the end of games,regardless of who starts. So....who knows?
    Pacers,baby!

As expected we lost to the Magic. That second quarter really killed us. We cut it to single digits several times in the 4th and appeared ready to claw our way back into the game but poor offensive execution and timely three's by Orlando put an end to any hope of winning the game. When the opponent shoots nearly 50% from deep and scores 48 points out there you can pretty much kiss your chance of winning goodbye. Nonetheless, I did not expect us to beat the Magic in either of our matchups with them in the second half so this loss is not detrimental to the .500 push.

As it stands we are:

0-1 against Group B (9-9)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland, Portland, Utah, Phoenix, Golden State, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, Memphis, Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago, Toronto, Miami, Charlotte, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Washington, Boston

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): New York and New Jersey

Next up is New Jersey. We NEED this win not only to keep my projections alive but for team moral.

At least our bigs won't have to worry about covering Troy Murphy on the perimeter.

Nice win tonight. The defense was pretty good. I don't know if it can be attributed to the Nets offense being so dreadful or if we just stepped it up a notch. Probably a combination of both. George looks like he will be a beast sooner rather than later. Lets hope the momentum carries to Chicago tomorrow. It'll be a tough game to win but if we maintain the tenacity we showed tonight we'll have a very good chance. Good start to Group C.

As it stands we are:

1-0 against Group C (4-2)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago, Toronto, Miami, Charlotte, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Washington, Boston

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): New York and New Jersey(1W)

Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice win tonight. The defense was pretty good. I don't know if it can be attributed to the Nets offense being so dreadful or if we just stepped it up a notch. Probably a combination of both. George looks like he will be a beast sooner rather than later. Lets hope the momentum carries to Chicago tomorrow.
    We are going to get curbstomped tomorrow, but I'd like to comment on George with you.

I think he will be a beast sooner than later too. You see how effortless the game seems to come to him, I can see him being our leading scorer next year, if not then, then the year after for sure. Once he puts it all together, which he has alot of it together already... but imagine him with a sweet floater, or the low post game... Jeeezz this kid could be really special if he puts the work in.

Funny how things can change in a matter of hours. We went from extreme depression after the Chicago loss to pure jubilation upon the O'Brien firing. I can't help but believe it will only benefit our .500 hopes. Excited to see the Toronto game tonight.

As it stands we are:

0-2 against Group B (9-9)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago(1L), Toronto, Miami, Charlotte, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Washington, Boston

0-2 against Group B (9-9)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): New York and New Jersey(1W)

The win last night may not have been pretty but a win is a win. When the 20 point lead crumbled I had one of those "here we go again" feelings that seems all to familiar over the last couple weeks when we had a tendency to let our double digit leads slip away. We were able to weather the run Toronto put together and we methodically built the lead back to a comfortable level in the second part of the 4th. Whether that was Vogel's doing or the player's I don't really care so long as we get a W. Tomorrow's game is a trap game if I ever saw one. We need a good start to establish the tempo and thwart any chance the cavs may have at beating us.

As it stands we are:

1-2 against Group B (9-9)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago(1L), Toronto(1W), Miami, Charlotte, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Washington, Boston

The Cleveland win was our first of Group A. Glad to see we were able to grind that one out. Hopefully we can get Group A win number 2 Friday against Portland.

As it stands we are:

1-0 against Group A (9-4)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland(W), Portland, Utah, Phoenix, Golden State, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, Memphis, Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago(1L), Toronto(1W), Miami, Charlotte, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Washington, Boston

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

I admire you.

Last year, I didn't even bother starting my yearly magic number thread.

Might need to this year, though.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

This is a really good post. Thanks for the effort. After Vogel was hired, I opened up the schedule and did some mental math on where I thought the team might end up as best case scenario. But I definitely did not put this type of thought or work into it. For some reason the "Thanks for this helpful post" button is not appearing for me on your original post, but you deserve it. Let's see if this year's your charmed year.

Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    The Cleveland win was our first of Group A. Glad to see we were able to grind that one out. Hopefully we can get Group A win number 2 Friday against Portland.

As it stands we are:

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland(W), Portland, Utah, Phoenix, Golden State, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, Memphis, Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta

wow this is awesome.... i can see us on the B, C, and D record but for group A thats going to be tough.... and in group D there is no reason we should lose to detroit at all

Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    This is a really good post. Thanks for the effort. After Vogel was hired, I opened up the schedule and did some mental math on where I thought the team might end up as best case scenario. But I definitely did not put this type of thought or work into it. For some reason the "Thanks for this helpful post" button is not appearing for me on your original post, but you deserve it. Let's see if this year's your charmed year.
    This.

I also can't find the "thank" button for the original post, but this thread is the shizz.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    This.

I also can't find the "thank" button for the original post, but this thread is the shizz.

Very enjoyable win tonight. I liked how Tyler got under the Blazers' skin. On a few plays before Andre Miller shoved him, Joel Pryzbilla was staring Tyler down after Tyler drew a foul on him. Its little plays like those that make me glad Tyler is on our team and not our opposition. Though he didn't score much, Paul George had some jaw dropping plays. That ISO at the end of the third was awesome. I could get used to seeing that more often. Great start to Group A.

As it stands we are:

2-0 against Group A (9-4)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland(W), Portland(W), Utah, Phoenix, Golden State, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, Memphis, Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta

I think Sunday's game at Jersey will be a tough one. Hopefully we show up Sunday with the same defensive effort we had tonight.
    Last edited by Phree Refill; 02-04-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Props to Phree Refill ! Was not possible with JOB, still not sure if it's possible, but I appreciate your effort.

P.S. Love your avatar.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Should be updated after every game. Where ya at Refill?

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    Should be updated after every game. Where ya at Refill?
    lol I still have till 7:30 tomorrow evening to get the update in...
    Actually I was occupied with Super Bowl party stuff yesterday so I apologize for not updating the thread in a timely manner. I can promise you however that for all the remaining games I will at least have the thread updated with the previous game's results before we take the floor for the next game.... at least so long as .500 is mathematically possible.

For the third time I find myself wanting to comment on Paul George but before I do I'm gonna take a little detour. Because the game was not televised locally yesterday, I had to listen to it on the radio. It brought back fond memories from when I was a kid. We had neither cable or satellite in my house so the only way for me to stay connected to the team was to listen to the games on the radio. Listening to Mark and Slick yesterday made me realize how much I missed listening to them. I always admire the level of sophistication Mark brings to his commentary that is rarely seen in broadcasting and Slick's blatant honesty and straight shooter personality compliments Mark perfectly. They truly are one of a kind in the business and we're lucky to have them.

Anyway, what that has to do with Paul George is not long after he made his "swashbuckling drive," Mark made a comment that he thought George has the potential to be the best player to dawn a Pacers jersey he's seen in his 22 years as the voice of the Pacers. I thought that was incredible considering we've had some very talented players come through here in the last 22 years. At varying times I would say that we had a player that was top 10 talent in the league. Perhaps even top 5 talent if you consider the fact that Jermaine finished 3rd in MVP voting in the 03-04 season. So to be able to derive that kind of assessment from a kid that has only played 27 games is quite impressive.

Our 4 game win streak has catapulted us back into the playoff hunt for the first time in 4 years. WE control our own destiny. If we take care of business on our end from here on out we WILL be in the playoffs and that, my friends, is something to be excited about. Terrific start to Goup C. Halfway to reaching our goal for that group.

As it stands we are:

2-0 against Group C (4-2)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): Cleveland(W), Portland(W), Utah, Phoenix, Golden State, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, Memphis, Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): New York and New Jersey(2W)

Tomorrow's game is a measuring stick game against Miami. They've finally started performing up to expectations. I did not allot for us to win either of our remaining games against the Heat but if we play hard for 48 minutes and keep the game close we just may be able to steal a game right out from under their nose in their own house. Bring on the Heat. GO PACERS!!!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

What a game last night. I felt like that was probably the most intense game we have played in the past 4 years. It didn't just have playoff feel to it but it felt like it was a game 7 of the NBA finals. I don't recall seeing one single smile on Lebron's face all game which I found to be out of character for him. He seemed to have this focus about him that I wasn't used to seeing. If someone were to tell me we'd be down 3 with the ball and 8 seconds left before that game started, I would have already been satisfied because that means our guys had to of played with great effort. It was obvious the Heat were fighting with all their might and we almost were too much for them to handle. And I can't help but think that we weren't even performing to the best of our ability. I think this team still has another level or two they can achieve and if we do, we're gonna be downright scary. Roy's tweet after the game was also encouraging because it sounds like the players aren't too down on themselves after the loss. Hard fought close losses to elite teams are much easier for me to swallow than blowouts or close losses to cellar dwellers.

As it stands we are:

1-3 against Group B (9-9)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando(1L), Chicago(1L), Toronto(1W), Miami(1L), Charlotte, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Washington, Boston

1-3 against Group B (9-9)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): New York and New Jersey(2W)

Lets take our frustrations out on the Bobcats tonight. If we take last night's effort and apply it against a mediocre team I'll be very curious to see what the outcome is.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post: