Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bird talks about his future (Also, Bird prefers to trade at deadline)

Default Bird talks about his future (Also, Bird prefers to trade at deadline)

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2011/01/24/i...ided-on-futur/

Talks about trades, JOB and his future with the team. Bird appears undecided about coming back next season.

Even though he coached the Pacers to a 147-67 mark during his three seasons, including an NBA Finals appearance in 2000, he said coaching is not an option in his future.

"I liked it but I didn't love it,'' said Bird, a three-time MVP with the Celtics who in 1997-98 become the only man ever to be named MVP and NBA Coach of the Year. "The travel was tough.''

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bird talks about his future

That was a really good article.

It still sounds like Bird will remain as the president of this team.

Default Re: Bird talks about his future

"I've got my draft choice (a 2011 first-round pick). The thing I always say is, 'Do you save it and see what the rules are (under a new collective bargaining agreement) or do you use it?' But, if get that opportunity, I'm going to use it (by the trade deadline). ... Do you wait or do you do it? I've made my mind up and I've talked to (Pacers owner Herb) Simon about it, and I've told him what I want to do, if we can get a good player.''
    I find this interesting because it contradicts what Clark had to say about us acquiring a new player. It looks like Larry is extremely non-hesitant to make a big move for another scorer to compliment Danny. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that Paul and Tyler can help a lot in that regard, but I digress.

"Danny's one of our integral parts,'' Bird said. "I don't really talk about Danny (in possible) trades. We'd like to add to him, try to get him some help. ... Danny's been been a good soldier. He knows what we're doing. We'd rather add to him.''
    This would confirm my suspicion. We're going to add with Danny instead of trading him for assets like many have wanted to do around here. Good move. There are a couple of guys out there and I get a feeling that Rush, a first, and one of our expirings are involved.

Things may start getting interesting soon my friends.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to O'Braindead For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bird talks about his future (Also, Bird prefers to trade at deadline)

I was just about to post a thread about this article, too, but not for what d_c quoted:

With expiring contracts of Mike Dunleavy ($10.56 million), T.J. Ford ($8.5 million) and Jeff Foster ($6.66 million), Indiana is finally in position this summer to have oodles of cap room. But Bird, the Pacers president, said his preference is to use his assets to swing a deal by the Feb. 24 trade deadline to acquire a key player.

"I would do that,'' Bird, 54, who is contemplating retiring from the NBA after this season, said in an interview with FanHouse. "I've got my draft choice (a 2011 first-round pick). The thing I always say is, 'Do you save it and see what the rules are (under a new collective bargaining agreement) or do you use it?' But, if get that opportunity, I'm going to use it (by the trade deadline). ... Do you wait or do you do it? I've made my mind up and I've talked to (Pacers owner Herb) Simon about it, and I've told him what I want to do, if we can get a good player.''
    I hope there's a good deal (or more) out there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Default Re: Bird talks about his future (Also, Bird prefers to trade at deadline)

Very good article.

Makes me feel even more like Pritchard may be here next year. I hope so. It is time to shake things up.

Excellent article. Thanks for posting it!

That just makes me think that Larry is looking for that big time player this year, if the opportunity arises. We've got numerous good assets, and it's nice to see Larry willing to use them to the fullest.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Makes me feel even more like Pritchard may be here next year. I hope so. It is time to shake things up.
    Not sure I feel great about Larry trading future picks?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Question, what player that could improve this team in the W-L, isn't a cap killer, and isn't too young/cheap for a bad team to give up on is out there? The answer to this question may exist, but whoever it is will pitch an absolute fit about coming to a 10 game under .500 Pacers squad. The players screwed themselves out of getting anyone of value at the trade dead line by playing like absolute garbage for 41 games. No real player of value will be sold on a "playoff push"

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Too bad it's looking like we won't be in playoff contention by the time the trade deadline rolls around

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Too bad it's looking like we won't be in playoff contention by the time the trade deadline rolls around
    I actually think we've still got a pretty good possibility. The Bucks are getting Jennings back, so they'll be worse off, and Charlotte really isn't that good.

We're playing the young guys right now and they are down. But all they need is a good win, and the emotions will rise again. That's what happens with young teams, you win games you shouldn't win and you lose games you shouldn't lose.

PLAN A. Andre Iguodala

PLAN B. Chris Kaman

OR best of all get both

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I actually think we've still got a pretty good possibility. The Bucks are getting Jennings back, so they'll be worse off, and Charlotte really isn't that good. We're playing the young guys right now and they are down. But all they need is a good win, and the emotions will rise again. That's what happens with young teams, you win games you shouldn't win and you lose games you shouldn't lose.
    news flash we are not that good ethier. Tyrus Tomas lost kills them but they are playing way better than us
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-24-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    PLAN A. Andre Iguodala

PLAN B. Chris Kaman

OR best of all get both
    I want plan C

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    news flash we are not that good ethier
    Yea but we beat them, that helps. I'm just saying, the East sucks, we've got a good shot at sucking less then the rest of the bottom feeders..

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Yea but we beat them, that helps. I'm just saying, the East sucks, we've got a good shot at sucking less then the rest of the bottom feeders..
    Wow just want i want medicore basketball team with another 13th pick in the draft.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

PLAN A. Andre Iguodala

PLAN B. Chris Kaman

OR best of all get both
    Not too bad.

I'd really want us to bring in Kaman and see how he does at PF next to Roy a few times.

As much as I would love to bring in Iguodala, we really don't need him. I just love the idea that we get a star next to Danny right now and continue to have Paul develop.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Not too bad.

I'd really want us to bring in Kaman and see how he does at PF next to Roy a few times.

As much as I would love to bring in Iguodala, we really don't need him. I just love the idea that we get a star next to Danny right now and continue to have Paul develop.
    Kaman doesnt play the PF and isnt a star

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Kaman doesnt play the PF and isnt a star
    I didn't say he was a star or if he would even play the PF spot all the time. Just play him a few times next to Roy.

I want plan C
    Resign JOB
    Bambam

Follow me on Twitter @http://twitter.com/brockhubble

Mood

I didn't say he was a star or if he would even play the PF spot all the time. Just play him a few times next to Roy.
    then Roy will be in foul trouble a lot of nights

I would think that Nene would have to be a pretty realistic target. With Denver blowing their team up, I can't think of a better trade partner right now.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to tsm612 For This Useful Post:

Not too bad.

My Idea would be along the lines of Dunleavy, Rush, 1st round pick for Iguodala & Speights

This would give us AI & Danny at the wing and PG as the first wing off the bench and Speights would help out at PF

I like David West, but I don't think the Hornets would trade him.

It looks like Bird's top priority to to bring in a decent, experienced PF.

My Idea would be along the lines of Dunleavy, Rush, 1st round pick for Iguodala & Speights

This would give us AI & Danny at the wing and PG as the first wing off the bench and Speights would help out at PF
    That's a good deal.