Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just threw up!! Man this is depressing!

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default I just threw up!! Man this is depressing!

Mike Wells Tweets:

Everybody keeps asking about O'Brien. Things will have to get a lot worse for O'Brien to get fired, and even then there's no guarantee.
    about 12 hours ago via web

I am utterly amazed by this statement

"Things have to get a lot worse, before he is fired"?

This is beyond comical know. Jim has been here four years, has a losing record, no signs of improvement and is on a five game losing streak and only two games above last year

I do not recall at anytime in my life, seeing a head coach so counterproductive, who's record is so poor and shows regression, yet manages to not only hold onto his job, but keep it.

I for the love of God, do not understand this. Replace him with any assistant, anyone on the bench just for this year

To keep Jim employed is a severe slap in the face to loyal fans. It screams were cutting costs, and obviously content with mediocrity. Wait a minute mediocrity would be an improvement.

I know everyone is tired of the moaning but that Wells quote just sucked the last bit of life out of me

THEY HAVE TAKEN EVERY OUNCE OF HOPE FOR THIS SEASON AWAY

I really think I need to stop investing my time in the Pacers for a little while. The reality is it is the same bs and frustration for the third year in a row

The players know it, the fans know it, the rest of the NBA knows it, but apparently either the Pacers front office doesn't know it or doesn't care

I am funkin mentally exhausted with this BS
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Default Re: I just threw up!! Man this is depressing!

Here is my silver lining...

Any prospective coaches that interview with Bird will know he will stick with them. I hope maybe this would mean something to a top tier guy, if they became available.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here is my silver lining...

Any prospective coaches that interview with Bird will know he will stick with them. I hope maybe this would mean something to a top tier guy, if they became available.
    Boy my friend that is reaching, but does make some sense

I just can not fathom why they keep him employed, and even worse continue to protect Jim

Absolutely mind blowing

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He won't be here next season, but he means Jim won't be fired during this season.

Just keep looking forward to the end of the season.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

If the owner had half a brain he'd get rid of Larry too. Anyone who would stick with JOB to this point shouldn't keep his job.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How worse can things get? We are on a 5 game losing streak and honestly I dont see it ending until we play Cleveland. Yes, I think we will lose to the Nets.

UPDATE: Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star is reporting similarly to the below report from Broussard from over the weekend.

"Barring a sudden change of thought, the Pacers have no intention of replacing O'Brien, who is in the final year of his contract," wrote Wells. "They wouldn't move any of the assistants up and there's no point in bringing in somebody from the outside because the players would have to learn the new coach's system on the fly over the final 41 games of the season."

---

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien is on the last year of his contract.

And, in part, due to his sporadic substitution patterns, ESPN's The Magazine's Chris Broussard is reporting via several league sources that the team's brass is unhappy with him.

But Broussard is also reporting he's likely to remain for the rest of the season due to no one on his staff being a suitable replacement.

Yet, if the team is unhappy with him, it stands to reason it's possible they'll look elsewhere for a coach when O'Brien's contract runs out after the season.

-- Ryan Corazza

ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard
    Pacers don't have suitable replacement for O'Brien on current staff
    "Indiana Pacers brass is not pleased with the performance of head coach Jim O'Brien, according to several league sources. That said, O'Brien, who is in the last year of his contract, is likely to remain as coach the rest of the season. Part of the reason is that no one on O'Brien's staff -- Dan Burke, Frank Vogel, Jay DeFruscio, Vitaly Potapenko and Walter McCarty -- is viewed as a suitable replacement. One complaint about O'Brien is the strange way he divvies up minutes: Tyler Hansbrough plays 36 minutes one night, posting 23 points and 12 rebounds, and just 23 minutes the next; Paul George plays 21 minutes one night, four the next. "
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IndySDExport For This Useful Post:

Yep, I really struggle to find any reason why he is here

It really is a slap in the face to the fans. Keep pumping the BS about how they are trying to make the playoffs and its not Jim's fault

WTF does Jim have on these guys?

I dont think I can watch another game until changes have been made. Whether that be personnel through trades or a coaching change

SOMETHING HAS TO FUNKIN CHANGE!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone else think it's not a coincidence that there is no one on the staff that is good enough to replace him?

Either way, it comes down to this. Do you do more damage keeping him or by firing him?

I think you do more damage keeping him. By letting him go, now, you start the process earlier. A process that should have started a year and a half ago.

It's not like they need to bring in a coach that has the ability to correct the ship and get them in the playoffs. At this rate, they're going to be on the outside looking in anyways. Who cares if they lose 30 games instead of 25? I know I don't. The way they are playing now, they'll lose 30 games anyways.

They need to start maximizing time for the younger guys, and start getting away from Obie-ball.

It's just not going to work, and if it's not going to work, then there's no reason to hold on to that 10% chance it will.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Might as well just pay him to finish the season.

Rather than paying him to sit at home and paying someone else to fill in.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

At some point in time enough has to be enough. At what point do some of you guys think that there has been "enough?"

My threshold for it has been passed a long, long, time ago.

He's going to get the money either way. The question is which is better for the franchise. I know it's not my money, but I think you just give the duties to an assistant and call it a season. It won't cost you anymore than what you are already going to pay out.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

The whole shifting of the blame to the Team itself can only go so far until you step back and question whether the whole blame for the performance of the Team can be place solely on the shoulders of the Team itself. The answer is pretty clear and simple for me.

I know that he said he wouldn't do it....but if the FO doesn't like what JO'B is doing, there is no one on the current Coaching Staff that can fill that role, but the FO recognizes that SOMETHING must be done in order to save the season, yet there is someone that is capable of TEMPORARILY filling that role....then the answer is clear to me.....Bird should be that guy for 4 months.

He's the only person in the Organization with any Coaching Experience that can do it without costing the Organization an additional cent.

If anything...that would be a kin to what the TWolves did last season....the TWolves Owners got p*ssed off at what was happening so they put McHale in the Captain's chair and had him guide the proverbial "ship" that he built ( cuz it was he was the guy that wrote up the plans that got them there ).

This isn't a "Bird should put up or shut up" situation....Bird is ( whether he likes it or not ) the only guy in the Organization that actually has any Coaching Experience that would make any difference to this Team.

It's like what happened on "Airplane" ( the movie ). If the Captain and Co-Pilot of the plane is incapable of landing the plane....then it's up to the crew to see if there is anyone else on the plane that can land a plane. Sure, it's not always the best idea to have the guy with mental problems land the plane cuz he can't forget what happened to him at Macho Grande....but if it's the only option that you have...it's better to have Robert Hays land the plane rather then let the plane crash into the ground.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-24-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    At some point in time enough has to be enough. At what point do some of you guys think that there has been "enough?"
    My threshold for it has been passed a long, long, time ago.

He's going to get the money either way. The question is which is better for the franchise. I know it's not my money, but I think you just give the duties to an assistant and call it a season. It won't cost you anymore than what you are already going to pay out.
    three years ago?

In my opinion, O'Brien won't get fired until the end of the season because the coach that Bird wants to replace him won't be available until after the season...I believe that coach is Nate McMillan. I think Nate is Larry's first choice.

In the meantime, he probably knows that whatever O'Brien's doing will likely be better than that of any of his green assistants.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

I think things really could be much, much worse. If we recall back in November, when the Pacers were at/above .500, really playing pretty well, one of my worst fears was that they'd finish 41-41 or better and then Bird would reward O'Brien with another extension.

So, in keeping with my philosophy, "it can always be worse"...

If we had to pick our poison, would we rather suffer through the rest of this season with O'Brien they say our goodbyes after a 5th straight losing season...or have a mediocre season and then have to look at him on the sidelines for another 3-5 years.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to kellogg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Anyone else think it's not a coincidence that there is no one on the staff that is good enough to replace him?

Either way, it comes down to this. Do you do more damage keeping him or by firing him?

I think you do more damage keeping him. By letting him go, now, you start the process earlier. A process that should have started a year and a half ago.

It's not like they need to bring in a coach that has the ability to correct the ship and get them in the playoffs. At this rate, they're going to be on the outside looking in anyways. Who cares if they lose 30 games instead of 25? I know I don't. The way they are playing now, they'll lose 30 games anyways.

They need to start maximizing time for the younger guys, and start getting away from Obie-ball.

It's just not going to work, and if it's not going to work, then there's no reason to hold on to that 10% chance it will.
    Thats my whole point. Send a message that enough is enough and put any of his assistants on the bench as lead. Who cares? Could any of them really be any worse than Jim? I still remember the Toronto game where Lester got to coach and how excited and energized they were.

The message being sent now is that MONEY is more important than winning

This is why I doubt they move an expiring. I am starting to get the feeling that Simon wants to sell

what a season

For years and years, the Simons have poured money into a losing team with the Dunleavy and Murphy contracts. I don't blame them for deciding that they're just going to ride out the rest of this season with JOB's contract.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

lol
    I also just puked in my mouth and spat it out all over the screen
    this team has been so...unenjoyable to watch that I'm really starting to lose interest -__-

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    lol
    I also just puked in my mouth and spat it out all over the screenthis team has been so...unenjoyable to watch that I'm really starting to lose interest -__-

I was so happy about this year when the season began but it just keeps getting worse and worse. I'm usually not one to blame the coach for everything because well I am on a high school basketball team so I know that a lot of the time it is the players not playing hard enough. However, in this situation that in no way is true. Sorry but Obbie is the worst coach I have ever seen. No way anyone on that staff isn't better then him. I went to the Bulls at Pacers game like a week ago and was so excited. Granger was doing awesome and scored like 10 points straight then what happens????? Obbie takes him out so the Bulls made a big run. The guy is a moron and does not know how to coach. FIRE HIM NOW! I promise in the end it will be better. You wait till the end of the season and he is going to screw up our young guys that have raw talent rightnow. Mark my words.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to k_lewis93 For This Useful Post:

Only silver lining I can see is our draft position could improve drastically. That's if we don't do another season-ending hot streak.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

32. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Only silver lining I can see is our draft position could improve drastically. That's if we don't do another season-ending hot streak.
    I agree, unfortunately

This draft sucks ballz

Lockout pending

and yes we will win 9-11 meaningless games so Pacer brass can tell us again, how it will "carry over to next year"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am not really surprised by this and nobody else should be. The Pacers are not in the best financial shape right now so they are not going to fire a guy and pay him to do nothing when there is not a viable replacement on the coaching staff.

Lets say they fire JOB and want to hire Mike Brown then they would be paying two coaches a salary and Mike Brown will not come really cheap.

If they do not go after someone like Mike Brown after firing JOB they have nobody on the staff now to replace him and make much of a difference.

Unless there is just a outright mutiny I do not see JOB going anywhere until the end of the season.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Like I keep saying in about all my posts now...is there anybody even left in our Front Office or are they going on a yearlong vacation??? I have plenty of certainty that all other 29 teams would make a coaching move (and maybe more than that) if they'd be in our position right now. It's not that we just have a horrible roster with nothing to work with...we do, we can win games, we can beat good teams, but more times than not, the coach holds us back and blows any opportunities that come our way--then he destroys our future game by game with not playing our youth or discrediting them.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    It's like what happened on "Airplane" ( the movie ). If the Captain and Co-Pilot of the plane is incapable of landing the plane....then it's up to the crew to see if there is anyone else on the plane that can land a plane.
    Always good to see rich cultural references from PD members, steeped in the classics.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

38. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post: