Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do in Indy??

Cool What to do in Indy??

Hey fellow PD member's,

As some of you are aware I'm traveling to Indiana in 3 weeks to watch a couple of games at Conseco. I'm getting really excited.

Me and my 2 best friends will be there for 3 nights, just wondering if there's anything in Indiana I shouldn't miss out on seeing? What good restaurants we should go to? shopping malls etc?

We are staying in Indiana downtown, not far from Conseco and Lucas Oil Stadium.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

P.S. Go Pacers, I know we are going through tough times, I watch every single game here from Australia. But we should all try and stay positive, Pacers have all young players that the fan base all generally like. So let's all stick with them just my 2 cents.

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

Default Re: What to do in Indy??

Might I suggest you to take a look at Monument Circle, eat at Mo's, and just tak a visit to Conseco and look at everything you can there. Conseco is a beautiful arena. A real masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Braindead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Might I suggest you to take a look at Monument Circle, eat at Mo's, and just tak a visit to Conseco and look at everything you can there. Conseco is a beautiful arena. A real masterpiece.
    Thanks Mate. Yeah I think M.Boyle is giving me a tour on the day in between games Of Conseco, so that should be brilliant. I hear its the best stadium in the NBA. Also going to Amway Arena in Orlando, so I'll get to compare.

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know if you're over 21 or not or even like beer, but if you are and you do, I highly suggest a trip over to the tasting room at Sun King Brewery. It's just east of downtown on College Avenue. Might even be able to walk depending on where your staying. I don't know exactly what days you'll be here so check the website for their tasting hours because they are only open on certain days. Sometimes the guy that runs the place even does a short tour and walks you through the beer making process.

http://www.sunkingbrewing.com/
    Last edited by travmil; 01-24-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Circle Centre is a great mall downtown. You should definitely check it out.

There are a ton of decent places to eat downtown. It just depends what kind of food you want and what your price range is.

I don't know if you'll have a car or not, but if you do then you should look into the Indianapolis Museum of Art at 38th and Michigan (not far at all from downtown). It's completely free and truly is a world-class art museum. I don't even really care about art that much, but I'm completely awed by how nice that place is.

I would say take a walk on the canal, but that isn't very fun in January.....
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-24-2011 at 09:31 AM.

If you like racing at all, it might be interesting for you to check out the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It's pretty neat and I'm pretty sure there is a museum and a shop you can visit year round. You would need access to a car or get a cab to get there from downtown though.

The Speedway museum should be open and I think the bus trip around the track is available too.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Go to Le Peep for breakfast. It's at Illinois and New York.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I don't know if you're over 21 or not or even like beer, but if you are and you do, I highly suggest a trip over to the tasting room at Sun King Brewery. It's just east of downtown on College Avenue. Might even be able to walk depending on where your staying. I don't know exactly what days you'll be here so check the website for their tasting hours because they are only open on certain days. Sometimes the guy that runs the place even does a short tour and walks you through the beer making process. http://www.sunkingbrewing.com/

Love the beers at the RAM and at the Rathskeller as well. Live music many evenings at the Rathskeller.

For a city the size of Indianapolis, there is quite a bit to do.

There are a few WORLD CLASS museums downtown. I stress that because many Indy natives seem to forget how great these museums actually are. The Eiteljorg Museum is a great museum on native american history and culture. Next to that is the Indiana State Museum, if you aren't from Indiana, you might not care about it, although it is a pretty nice building.

Then you have the NCAA Hall of Champions. This is a great place for any sports fan to visit. Ask about the NCAA tournament selection process. They usually don't have much about this, but I asked about it, and one of the committee members came out and talked to me about it in specifics. This was 2 months after the 2008 tournament and he went into detail about why some teams made the cut and a few didnt.

If the weather isn't too bad, take a walk by Lucas Oil Stadium. The sheer size of the building amazes everyone.

Circle Centre is a nice downtown mall. There are some nice shopping options, and it connects you to alot of nice places downtown.

Massachusetts Ave. It starts at the corner of New York and Delaware. The first 4 blocks are filled with some great bars and restaurants. The best pizza in Indy, IMO, is at Bazbeaux Pizza. There is a great english pub, Chatham Tap, or a scottish pub, Macnivens, both of which have great beer selections. The Rathskaller is a HUGE german restaurant that is a great spot to visit in the summer. They have live music outside in the Biergarten. But not in winter. In addition, there are several neat shops, theaters, and art galleries. You could spend a good part of a day just walking down this block.

The Soldiers and Sailors monument on the circle is neat. Few people go to the top, but it gives you a great view of the city and only costs a couple dollars.

There are way too many restaurants to list downtown. If you want a nice steak, you can visit St Elmo's (an indy landmark), Ruth Chris (a chain, but great food), Mortons, etc. Rock Bottom and Ram are quality breweries with decent food and pretty good beer that changes frequently. I would avoid Scotty's Brewhouse, they advertise that they are a brewpub, but they don't brew anything, and the beer selection is pretty generic (if they sell it in the beer isle at the grocery store or at Applebees, its at Scotty's.) Plus, the food is bland and its usually extremely loud because of the hip-hop and pop music blaring anytime after 5pm.

As far as nightlife goes, downtown is mostly college type bars. If you are looking for a generic dance club/bar, there are plenty on Meridian street. However, Claddaugh is a nice irish pub, Taps & Dolls has a great beer selection, and The Slippery Noodle is arguably the best bar in Indy. It's extremely smoky, you will leave feeling as if you just smoked a pack of Marlboros, but they have live blues nearly every night and its just a really cool atmosphere.

If you really want more college-type bars, go up to Broad Ripple. You will be hard pressed to find anyone over 25 there after dark. Most of the bars are the same, similar beer, similar music, similar crowd...but thats what its there for. Kids go there to get drunk and try to hook up with someone.

There is plenty more to do in Indy. Sadly, you visit in the winter when its bitterly cold. In the summer, its nice to be able to walk the canal, or explore downtown. Hope this helps

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd recommend eating at Scotty's Brewhouse. I've never been to the downtown location, but amazing food and service at the other locations I've visited.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Circle Centre is a great mall downtown. You should definitely check it out.There are a ton of decent places to eat downtown. It just depends what kind of food you want and what your price range is.

I don't know if you'll have a car or not, but if you do then you should look into the Indianapolis Museum of Art at 38th and Michigan (not far at all from downtown). It's completely free and truly is a world-class art museum. I don't even really care about art that much, but I'm completely awed by how nice that place is.

I would say take a walk on the canal, but that isn't very fun in January.....
    Not if u dont want to get shot up Circle Center is getting bad

You won't get shot up at Circle Centre, are you being serious? Circle Centre won't ever "get bad" it's right in the middle of downtown Indianapolis by some of the nicest hotels and restaurants in the city.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    You won't get shot up at Circle Centre, are you being serious? Circle Centre won't ever "get bad" it's right in the middle of downtown Indianapolis by some of the nicest hotels and restaurants in the city.
    2 were shot the other night in the mall. 9 were shot during expo it is getting pretty bad in my view I still go there but idk just it is getting worse

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by granger33 View Post
    Hey fellow PD member's,

As some of you are aware I'm traveling to Indiana in 3 weeks to watch a couple of games at Conseco. I'm getting really excited.

Me and my 2 best friends will be there for 3 nights, just wondering if there's anything in Indiana I shouldn't miss out on seeing? What good restaurants we should go to? shopping malls etc?

We are staying in Indiana downtown, not far from Conseco and Lucas Oil Stadium.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

P.S. Go Pacers, I know we are going through tough times, I watch every single game here from Australia. But we should all try and stay positive, Pacers have all young players that the fan base all generally like. So let's all stick with them just my 2 cents.

Downtown is great....just don't go to Club Rio on the westside and 8 second saloon on the westside (local pacer fans know what i'm talking about).
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

There were two shot in separate incidents on Saturday Night. Given that the shootings were roughly at 9 PM, there had to have been plenty of innocent bystanders around and scared out of their wits. Restaurants were locked down while police cleared the scene. I was driving downtown shortly after and it was a madhouse of cop cars.

There was the rash of shootings at Expo this summer around Circle Centre (and in many summers past), but that's probably not worth mentioning given that shootings at that particular event are as common as the sun rising.

Circle Centre and downtown are certainly plenty safe during the day, but it is not a safe utopia at night by any means. The problem is that young wannabe thugs get dropped off with no parental supervision whatsoever and roam the streets looking for trouble. That's why there's a curfew at Circle Centre Mall, but unfortunately that curfew doesn't prevent them from roaming the streets. That's exactly why these shootings happened.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-24-2011 at 01:16 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

There are always violent crimes during Expo. I usually just avoid downtown while that is going on. The extra police presence that weekend only adds to the atmosphere.

I was aware of the shootings this weekend, but the rash of cop cars actually makes me feel safer. In the scheme of things though, downtown Indy is a relatively safe city even at night.

Now if you're on the east side or around 10th and Tibbs then that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smith View Post
    Downtown is great....just don't go to Club Rio on the westside and 8 second saloon on the westside (local pacer fans know what i'm talking about).
    8 Seconds Saloon is just fine. I've been there a bunch of times. It got it's reputation because there was a hiphop club called Tremors in the back of the place, and that's where all the problems came from. It's just easier to identify 8 Seconds, because that's the name that's on the front of the building.

The place is as redneck as you'll find in Indy, but it's mostly wanna-be's that think they're country because they drive a truck and listen to country music.

You will find 70y/o people line dancing in there just about every night you go. It's a great time if you like country music. Concerts are cheap, people are nice, (most of the time. I've had my run-in with a few ******** but that's every bar) and there's enough room that you're not standing shoulder to shoulder.

But if you like that kind of atmosphere, you should go to Cadillac Ranch. It's a lot closer to downtown. But..... there is a pretty steep cover charge. I think $10, but that's going to be the norm at a couple of places like Have a Nice Day, Tiki Bobs, etc.

My buddy is always trying to get me to go to Cadillac Ranch. Sounds like a strip club or whore house to me.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Lance says you can meet him and Tinsley at the Sunset Strip

aw to chuckle even a little on another shtty Pacer season
    Sittin on top of the world!

My buddy is always trying to get me to go to Cadillac Ranch. Sounds like a strip club or whore house to me.
    if its affiliated with the chain in Phoenix

not even bro. Its known for their margaritas and social scene

Obviously, I know it is not actually a strip club or whore house, just that I could easily see a strip club being named Cadillac Ranch.

Anyways, I wouldn't want to hang out with Lance, he seems to be in some weird ****. What he does with his bumhole is his business though.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    The place is as redneck as you'll find in Indy, but it's mostly wanna-be's that think they're country because they drive a truck and listen to country music.
    LMAO

Needed that soo bad. I was just picturing some of the cats that would go there

True story, because of a divorce, I spent two months at Westfield high. Never forget when I asked the question after hearing it in a conversation

I said "What the hell is a combine"?

Two dudes from the FFA , looked at me utter dismay and one said (in his best country twang) "You dont know what a combine is"

I still laugh to this day

You lived at Westfield high school?

spent two months "at"