Thread: Nene impatient with Nuggets' focus on Melo/maybe is getting traded

Banned

Default Nene impatient with Nuggets' focus on Melo/maybe is getting traded

I hope the Pacers get on this, I would love to have Nene.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1...-focus-on-melo

Nene impatient with Nuggets' focus on Melo

If you think the Nuggets simply have to resolve the Carmelo Anthony saga and move on, think again. Denver has another issue brewing, one that has been largely ignored with all the attention on Melo. It's the impending free agency of another player we're on a one-name basis with: Nene.

Like Anthony, Nene has an early-termination option he can exercise after the season, and sources say he is upset with all the attention focused on Anthony's situation while his isn't being resolved. Nene, arguably Denver's second-best player, has made a list of three teams he's interested in signing with or being traded to -- and not surprisingly, one of them is Miami, where his fierce interior presence would be the missing piece for the Heat.

Nene is racking up 15.2 ppg this season, three more than the eight-year veteran's career average. (Getty Images)
    Thus far, Denver's stance has been to deal with Anthony first, but sources say the Nuggets are running out of time to get Nene to agree to an extension. And if Anthony and Chauncey Billups are traded in a clear step toward rebuilding, there is little doubt Nene will push for a trade.

Nene is averaging 15.2 points and shooting .644 from the field, both career highs, and it could be argued that the 6-11 Brazilian would be just as coveted as Anthony if he were put on the trading block. Nene hasn't voiced any desire to be dealt yet, but sources say recently he has been among the most outspoken Nuggets in his anger about the distractions Anthony's situation has caused.

"The whole team is sick of the Carmelo thing," one source said. "They're sick of the distraction."

Me, too. So let's move on to the rest of this week's Post-Ups
    Last edited by vnzla81; 01-23-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Nene impatient with Nuggets' focus on Melo

I have a weird hunch that Indiana didn't make his list of other two destinations after Miami.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Banned

Default Re: Nene impatient with Nuggets' focus on Melo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a weird hunch that Indiana didn't make his list of other two destinations after Miami.
    I agree, I just hope that doesn't stop the Pacers for pursuing him, he is another player that wants an extention right now.

Default Re: Nene impatient with Nuggets' focus on Melo/maybe is getting traded

Perhaps we are though.
    He'd be a guaranteed Starter here.

Really sick of hearing players choosing where they want to go while they're still under contract. You signed the deal, play it out, and sign somewhere once your deal expires. Can't cut a guy who's not performing and let's his game turn to garbage, can't keep a guy who's doing good because they all want to go to Miami. Has the league really gotten so player dominant that Nene freakin Hilario is trying to force his team's hand?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smj887 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by smj887 View Post
    Really sick of hearing players choosing where they want to go while they're still under contract. You signed the deal, play it out, and sign somewhere once your deal expires. Can't cut a guy who's not performing and let's his game turn to garbage, can't keep a guy who's doing good because they all want to go to Miami. Has the league really gotten so player dominant that Nene freakin Hilario is trying to force his team's hand?
    Nene is mad at the Nuggets and Melo for how the siuation was handled the other stuff is rumors or sources which is what dominates the NBA now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Has the league really gotten so player dominant that Nene freakin Hilario is trying to force his team's hand?
    unfortunately yes.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

So.. Chances of us getting him?

Do you guys think that he's better than David West?

can't keep a guy who's doing good because they all want to go to Miami. Has the league really gotten so player dominant that Nene freakin Hilario is trying to force his team's hand?
    Doens't really apply directly to Nene in this case, but it was mentioned before in a CNNSi about how the culture of the league is much different now than back in the days.

Teams right now are full of guys who played AAU ball when they were really young. Guys like Carmelo, Lebron, Chris Paul, etc....were guys who formed their own "SuperTeams" back when they were teenagers. They buddied up to eachother and that's how those teams came to be. That's stuff that the likes of Bird, Magic, MJ and other guys in their eras never did.

The joining of LeBron, Wade and Bosh is entirely foreign to the stars of previous eras, and that's because Magic and Jordan weren't raised in the AAU system. Instead, they were raised on high school and college basketball, which was a system created on the strict authority of coaches and rules that could not be broken. You grew up playing for the high school coach in your town and he was your boss; you went to college for at least two years; you were drafted by an NBA team and if you were a star, that was your team for life.
    Players of LeBron's and Wade's era view themselves as entrepreneurs. They grew up forming their own AAU teams outside the authority of the high school coach. James and his boyhood friends took it one large step further by choosing as a group to attend the same private high school -- St. Vincent-St. Mary of Akron -- which is something that never would have occurred to Magic or Jordan either.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1BtzkgLw3
    The culture has found its way into the pros. There is more camaraderie
    among players and guys buddying of with eachother and wanting to play together.
    Last edited by d_c; 01-23-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    So.. Chances of us getting him?

Do you guys think that he's better than David West?
    Our chances are high I think, if they move Melo they are going to have to move Nene, maybe Tyler+2 round pick+ expiring contract could get it done? Do we trade Roy for him?

To answer your other question, yes he is better than West.

We could take back Al and Nene so that we can potentially not give up much at all, like Hicks was saying a couple weeks back. I think that MIGHT be better.

Sports Logo

My guess is that the Knicks will sheepishly suggest to the Nuggets that they take on Nene while taking Melo off their hands.

Just like the Nuggets tried to convince the Nets to take on Billups ( with obvious prodding from Melo's Agent to improve the Team ), I'm guessing that Melo's Agent will do the same to push the Nuggets to dump salary while helping the Knicks look for that elusive Frontcourt Player to protect the paint next to Amare.

Nene won't want to come here with the promise of playing next to Melo and Stat in NY.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    My guess is that the Knicks will sheepishly suggest to the Nuggets that they take on Nene while taking Melo off their hands.

Just like the Nuggets tried to convince the Nets to take on Billups ( with obvious prodding from Melo's Agent to improve the Team ), I'm guessing that Melo's Agent will do the same to push the Nuggets to dump salary while helping the Knicks look for that elusive Frontcourt Player to protect the paint next to Amare.

Nene won't want to come here with the promise of playing next to Melo and Stat in NY.
    The Knickss would gladly take Nene he is having an all-star yr and would allow Amare move to the PF where he wants to play.

Troy Murphy and Nene were born on the same day.....pass.

I think he'd be a decent player next to Hibbert. I like him more than most PF suggestions.

To get Nene it would take Roy, and expiring and a 1st. The Pacers would need a signed
    Nene. No rentals here.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Or, as I would prefer, we can take on Al's contract to get Nene for very significantly less. Something like two expirings and Hansbrough.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Do we trade Roy for him?

H to the ELL No!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

There are teams that can use Nene that are championship caliber. One of them is OKC. Can you imagine Nene with Durant and Westbrook? OKC has youth that Denver could use to rebuild. Ibaka, or Green, Harden, and Cole Aldrich. Expirings in Mo Peterson and Collison. And a 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    H to the ELL No!
    I thought it was "Hell to the no". Either way, I agree with you on that. Roy will get over this funk and play like he did at the beginning of the year.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

I believe the Nuggets have waited on offering Nene an extension until they know for certain that Melo will be gone. If Melo gets extended I look for Nene to get an offer on the same day. If Melo is traded then I look for the Nuggets to try to get everything they can for Nene and Billups. Nene will opt out next year and could leave the Nuggets with nothing but the Nuggets will have the lowest payroll in the NBA if Melo isn't extended. Billups has a team option. If the Nuggets keep Melo as unlikely as that seems, then forget about Nene. If they trade Melo they're going to ask for a lot for Nene something like what Owl suggested. If they let him opt out they'll be in a better position then us to sign him if they want to but I don't think that's what they would really want if they go into rebuild mode. I do think Nene would be better then West but I wouldn't be willing to give up Roy and a 1st. for him. I would send an expiring and a 1st. any day though. I'd rather wait to see if we can get him in free agency if it comes to that. Nene isn't a max player but he's a very good starting big man on almost any team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Or, as I would prefer, we can take on Al's contract to get Nene for very significantly less. Something like two expirings and Hansbrough.
    If we were to take on Al's contract, that would be one of the bigger mistakes we could make. First off, we've been there, done that.... and Al was nowhere near the player that "Baby Al" was. Secondly, Al is in the first year of a 5 year contract that we could get strapped with.

In response to another poster... no Nene is NOT better than West. First off, Nene skills more closely resemble those of a center, not a power forward. His range is poor and he is eqauled or outperformed by West in almost all skills we need at PF other than perhaps post defense.... particularly mid-range shooting and the ability to run the PnR/PnP.

If we needed a center... I'd be all over Nene.

I think it is pretty important that any PF that we bring in be strong in PnR/PnP to enable the best utilization of Collison's strengths. I really think that any future discussion of potential starting PFs should consider that.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post: