Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two quotes that I must share my opinion on (It's going to be a bumpy ride)

Unhappy Two quotes that I must share my opinion on (It's going to be a bumpy ride)

So I guess I'm new here. Let me start off by saying that I have been reading everyone's thoughts forever since the days of JO's redundant "All-Star" speeches (The first ones) and Ron's rapping gig, and I came across these two posts today and finally decided to chime in:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If this is true, which I really see nothing here to substantiate that it is true, but let's just say it is then I have mixed emotions.

1. Relief in hoping that he won't be back next season.

2. More than a little bit of anger as a season ticket holder knowing that they were not happy with him last year, allowed him to fire the one coach who could have replaced him this season and expecting us all to be happy with him coaching the team the rest of this season.

Again that is using the assumption that the front office is not happy with him, I'm not sure I believe that or not yet.
    This was regarding Jim not being brought back in the Pritchard thread. I have held season tickets ever since we have sucked (Bad timing I guess), and I must say that this more than angers me, especially the bolded piece. Jim hired a bunch of yes men who do not know what they are doing; we know that. How in the world could Larry allow such a disgrace to the game of basketball concur to let his only worthy assistant be replaced in a lame-duck year? Potapenko, McCarty, Vogel, really? Jim is not only a bad basketball coach, but he is a good business man and that makes things worse. Such a politician or car salesman. That is disgusting. What is more disgusting is that as Peck said,

I have invested cold hard cash that I have worked my *** off for, and Larry allows a coach of which about .5% of the fanbase supports to run wild like a chicken with his head cut off (Pictures of Travis Best popped up in my head ). That is not hyperbole (I hate that word); I bet only about .5 to maybe 4% of the Pacers fanbase supports this classless clown.

Quote Originally Posted by hoops_guy View Post
    No. Tell me that Solo, Mike, TJ, and SOLOMON JONES would get time on a NBA team that uses common sense. Hell no.

Anyways, I'm going on strike. As a STH, I am not going to another game until the ****ing ******* **** of a clown is gone. I am going on strike. The ******* has ruined my ****ing Pacers experience and it pisses me the **** off. I've had enough and I'm not renewing my ****ing tickets. RobFomPacers you better hear this and tell my rep because at this point I'm not even answering calls anymore until the ****ing clown is gone.

9th ****ing seed. 9th freaking seed. Posey 20 minutes, Foster 15 minutes, a scoreless and pothead Rush 24 minutes, SOLOMON JONES PLAYED, and Mike 37 mother****ing minutes. Tyler 21 minutes, Hibbert 28 minutes, and worst of all Paul George 7 freaking minutes. Paul George 7 points in 7 ****ing minutes. Its a ****ing joke. A joke.

We get Hibbert and Granger finally playing well and Jim takes a big old **** on us. Josh McRoberts doesn't play. The mother****er has no ****ing conscience. I will not support this team nor Bird until the cancer is gone. I won't even post until the ****er is gone. I've had enough of it. Enough is enough.

7th seed to 9th like it is nothing. Forget it, I am not going to a game until Jim is gone. Did you hear that TPTB, I AM NOT GOING TO A GAME UNTIL THEY ARE GONE. A ****ing pathetic human being.

See you all in the summer when the ****er is gone forever. Sorry if this is repulsive PD, and I apologize. But enough is enough and I need one last rant here until he is gone. When he is gone we need to throw a big celebration of sorts on what will be the greatest day in Pacers history since the ABA Days (RIP). I don't want to get banned.. I'm sorry if this is really repulsive ahead of time.
    Now, this is the next step. Frustration, sadness, lack of interest, then hatred. With thousands of dollars spent on this franchise by many of us around here, Larry is going to let this fool run our Playoff hopes into the ground. I'm not going to lie, I hate Jim O'Brien. I don't "disapprove" of him, or "dislike" him. Hell, I don't even "despise" him. I hate him. It's like when you look at your mean friend's Facebook to reminisce and you suddenly remember why that person isn't your friend anymore..

-He has taken Hansbroughs career and shoved it down the toilet. I fully believe that. He was drafted here, had unfortunate problems and bad luck, and now he is easily our best power forward and he averages 15 minutes a *** damn game. 15 minutes. Guess who averages more minutes than him? Heres a hint: He has attempted 7 free throws in 36 games, he has attempted 170 threes (4.7 per game), and he shoots 33.5 % from downtown, 35.8 overall.

Hansbrough is 25 guys. He's not going to get significantly better. Yet Jim screws around and plays Posey all of these undeserved minutes and here we go. He has scored 56 less points overall in 29 games this year than last. The most depressing thing, by far, is that Hansbrough doesn't have that killer mentality anymore. He's just a jumpshooter. Rasho Nesterovic without the passing skills.

-Dare I bring up Troy Murphy, haha I will because it's so ridiculous. Jim loves Troy, did you guys know that? Our team MVP has done great ever since he has departed.. You know, stretching the defense and opening the lane up for everyone else. The guy that has took one charge in his NBA career. The man, or adolescent, who has let multiple players bull right through him.. There is a reason he's called "Saloon door". He's been doing great..

3.6 points per game, 4 rebounds per game, .174 from three, oh yeah and he's not even with the team anymore because he's a locker room cancer. This player that Jim has had so many scary fantasies over sucks. There is no way around it. He played 32 minutes per game for us last season while Josh, the better player, rotted on the bench. For Jim it is Rick Pitino philosophy (AKA, Rick Pitino horse manure) > Talent and fundamental basketball.

Wait, are you saying that we wasted this whole time watching this guy for two consecutive years and he's not even any good at all? Yeah, but everyone knows that. In the depth chart, he was behind Kris Humphries and Derrick Favors.. Then he got cut because he was a distraction.

-TJ Ford, Mike Dunleavy, and Jeff Foster will not be with the team next year, and TJ and Mike both have players that are behind them in the depth chart that are significantly better. I understand how a coach wouldn't worry about a player being under contract for next season or not when it comes to short term results, but it's different when AJ Price and Paul George/Brandon Rush blow the following guys out of the water.

TJ Ford is terrible and he got benched every single year he's been here. Why does Jim decide to play him all season now? Tenure. He's played all season because of tenure. It's obvious. Not only is it obvious but it is stupid. So we have AJ who is the best player in preseason and he has played nine games this year. If that doesn't **** you off as a Pacers fan than I don't know what does. Not to even mention that TJ isn't going to play for us again.

Mike Dunleavy is a decent 4th wing on a good team, but for him to play something like 37 minutes during big games is downright insulting to us fans. Brandon Rush has put in very hard work this season and he gets yanked from the starting lineup every other game while Paul George is the best of the three and he doesn't play because he doesn't do what Jim wants him to do.

As Peck stated a couple of days ago, Jim's fascination with Mike all starts with Mike executing Jim's offense without flaw. He'll play Mike because he prefers his brand of basketball over talent and winning games. How aren't people angry about this? Paul scored seven points in seven minutes tonight and he played well enough to not come back in for the rest of the game. He has freaking arms longer than the hairs on my ex-girlfriends bossom. Yet Mike turns the ball over and constantly misses simple defensive assignments
    and tasks and he doesn't get into any trouble for it. Which leads me to my next point:

-Short leash vs. long leash. We've seen in the past Kareem Rush, Stephen Graham, Rasho Nesterovic, Maceo Baston (I forgot his name for the longest time), Marquis Daniels, Jeff Foster, an injured Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, a healthy Mike Dunleavy, Luther Head, Earl Watson, James Posey, and TJ Ford get minutes and generally have longer leashes than our young players. Jim believes in tenure and security blankets to win games down the stretch. Not only is he an idiot and a bully, but he is also weak minded.. Not exactly good traits for a head coach. Those things trump common sense and create a whole new form of idiocrity.

-The system is the either the most simple system of all time, or the most difficult of all time. I still don't know. We let Danny iso whenever he wants, never run screens for Rush or George, we park Hibbert at the high post forever, we have Posey camp out at the three just like Saloon Door, we don't let Collison make plays for others, and we shoot a lot of jumpshots. So, it is either streetball or some mad-scientist, statbook formula operated offense that no one can ever understand. We are all idiots and Jim is the only one that understands it all.

Here's another thing; We want to force the defense into taking long jumpers and packing in the middle, but our offense consists of shooting long jumpers and shying away form the point of attack. That's been stressed around here, but not nearly as much as it should have been.

So to conclude this huge block of text, let me say that I will hold my season tickets hostage and not renew until simple principles are brought into place for the sake of our players, the fans, and for Slick Leonard. Jim has succeeded to talk the talk, but he has miserably failed to walk the walk for going on four years. How anyone defends that is beyond me, but that is just my opinion as always. Our players will not know how to react to tough times until they learn how to react to tough times. Jim won't do that, he's stone cold. Here's another point as BlueNGold started preaching; It's Bird's fault for letting this madness go on.

Here's a until the "*******" is gone. Don't expect it to disappear until he's gone.

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to O'Braindead For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Banned

Default Re: Two quotes that I must share my opinion on (It's going to be a bumpy ride)

Good post keep postŪng

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Re: Two quotes that I must share my opinion on (It's going to be a bumpy ride)

Quote Originally Posted by O'Braindead View Post
    He has freaking arms longer than the hairs on my ex-girlfriends bossom.

Wow. Good post though.

I wholeheartedly agree except for these comments, "A disgrace to basketball" A classless clown". I mean come on. He is stubborn with is system, but the guy is a good guy, and he certainly is not classless. He is just a bad coach that's all, not some horrible human being to focus all your hate on.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Tell us how you really feel...

Many good points in your post. I can't say I hate Jim O'Brien, but I don't like how he coaches and the Lester Connor type of stuff bothers me...a lot.

The more I think I know about him, the more I feel like you...

...yet at the same time I happen to know some charitable things he does...and don't think I am in a position to judge him personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree except for these comments, "A disgrace to basketball" A classless clown". I mean come on. He is stubborn with is system, but the guy is a good guy, and he certainly is not classless. He is just a bad coach that's all, not some horrible human being to focus all your hate on.
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...osh+irrelevant

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...elevant&page=6

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...osh+irrelevant

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...nnesota&page=3

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...phenson+obrien

I have brought these back out of the grave, and those are not the only things that make Jim O'Brien a harsh person and coach. A wise person would "Walk softly carrying a big stick," but Jim seemingly "Walks strongly carrying no stick," meaning that he doesn't punish players fairly based on tenure, experience, and playing style but he isn't afraid to go ape**** on a young guy or two over nothing.

To make the comments about Josh, Hibbert, and Stephenson (I couldn't find that, I think) were/are classless. It lacks class, just like when Posey wouldn't shake Blake Griffin's hand (Blake is going to be special BTW). That is classless.

The disgrace to basketball comes with his textbook, maniacal, and numbers type of philosophy. Chuck Daly, John Wooden, Bob Knight, Pat Riley, Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson, Bill Fitch, Slick Leonard, and Jerry Sloan would never have any part of it. To go against those greats in philosophy to try to find "New" answers (Or to just ignore the facts is what I like to call it) is disgraceful.

Our defense is designed to force the defense into jumpshots and clog the middle, and our offense is designed to force jumpshots. I don't get it (Neither does anyone that doesn't blindly defend the man), and it isn't winning basketball. The past three years we weren't going to win many games with TJ, Mike, Rasho, Jeff, and rookies, I know that. But under all circumstances I expect a coach in the NBA to conduct a system in a professional manner, which means suit the system for your player's strengths not that of your own. In no system in the world would Dahntay Jones or Mike Dunleavy play power forward defending Zach Randolph under any circumstances. That right there is a disgrace to basketball.

For example, Troy Murphy. He did what coach wanted and the way he wanted it done, so he got all of the playing time in the world despite being a locker room problem, a saloon door, a matador, a sloth, and just a flat out loser. It's quite frustrating to see that and Paul George, quite possibly one of our most talented players is glued to the bench.

Respectfully I stand by those facts.
    Last edited by O'Braindead; 01-23-2011 at 12:43 PM.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to O'Braindead For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

welcome bro

believe me when I say "we feel your pain"
    Sittin on top of the world!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

After four years or so you would think Larry would put his foot down.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

-Short leash vs. long leash. We've seen in the past Kareem Rush, Stephen Graham, Rasho Nesterovic, Maceo Baston (I forgot his name for the longest time), Marquis Daniels, Jeff Foster, an injured Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, a healthy Mike Dunleavy, Luther Head, Earl Watson, James Posey, and TJ Ford get minutes and generally have longer leashes than our young players. Jim believes in tenure and security blankets to win games down the stretch. Not only is he an idiot and a bully, but he is also weak minded.. Not exactly good traits for a head coach. Those things trump common sense and create a whole new form of idiocrity.
    This.

I have really not much problem with the offensive or defensive system, as we have seen our defense has improved and our offense when executed well can be effective. The problem lies with the rotations and yanking of players by JOB.

AJ Price have been good the past season and this year's preseason, yet he's behind TJ Ford, who really sucks as of late. Paul George has proven himself enough to warrant at least 20+ minutes at SG, yet he's seeing so less minutes for Mike and Rush, both are really not doing well. Tyler and Mcbob have shown they can contribute offensively, yet they are getting yanked so easily and are being robbed of minutes by Posey, who is for some reason being "forced" to play heavy minutes and is asked to camp at the 3pt line and guard athletic PFs. Roy has struggled lately, but has come around the previous game, only to watch at the bench on the final quarter for Solo, who didn't even significantly contribute on the game.

I have no ill towards JOB, but his performance as coach is very, very poor. I don't know what he sees in those vets he play that have been playing poorly. And I don't know why he's fooling around with the young ones' minutes. He could be a very good coach for the Celtics, who has great veteran players. But in this current Pacers, where the youth outplays the vets, he's not a good fit.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Question: How do we not know that Paul George is already a very good player as a rookie (somewhere in the range of a 15 ppg scorer)? Is there any way to tell?

I agree 15th parallel.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Question: How do we not know that Paul George is already a very good player as a rookie (somewhere in the range of a 15 ppg scorer)? Is there any way to tell?

I agree 15th parallel.
    Paul George 15 pts 8 rebs per 36 mins

Dunleavy 13 pts 6 rebs per 36 (15pts per 36 career)

Rush 13pts 4 rebs per 36 (12pts career ave.per 36)
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-23-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Paul George 15 pts 8 rebs per 36 mins

Dunleavy 13 pts 6 rebs per 36 (15pts per 36 career)

Rush 13pts 4 rebs per 36 (12pts career ave.per 36)
    At 20, Paul pretty much blows those guys away. They really should just hand him the SG position right now and get it over with.

News flash: 20 going on 21 is only young due to the Pacer's organization and its recent history of picking 4 year college guys. By 21, many players are seasoned contributors around the league logging 30+ minutes.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

He doesn't have the stones to do it, nor is he willing to admit he made a mistake in his choice of "the over the phone hire." He compounded one mistake on top of another mistake by picking up Jimmy's TO for a 4th year. This mess lays directly at Bird's feet. The buck stops at Bird's desk. This 16-24 record is all on Bird. Thanks Larry!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Portland's Nate McMillan deserves a lot of credit for this 1 cause he clearly out coached O'Brien. O'Brien failed to counter Nate's moves
    about 14 hours ago via web

http://twitter.com/mikewellsnba

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    He doesn't have the stones to do it, nor is he willing to admit he made a mistake in his choice of "the over the phone hire." He compounded one mistake on top of another mistake by picking up Jimmy's TO for a 4th year. This mess lays directly at Bird's feet. The buck stops at Bird's desk. This 16-24 record is all on Bird. Thanks Larry!
    Jim's only here for financial reasons. It's got nothing to do with Bird's "stones"

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Jim's only here for financial reasons. It's got nothing to do with Bird's "stones"
    That only makes sense if they hadn't picked up his option for a 4th year BEFORE his 3rd year. There was no reason for that.

And there isn't much difference in firing him now and letting an assistant take over as far as costs go. The real difference would be in the signal it sends to the team and fans (which is management sees O'Brien is a joke and is pulling the plug on him before it gets any worse). That should stop some of the bleeding as far as the team questioning if management has a clue how bad O'Brien is... and it should help stem the tide of fan anger and apathy that is leading to boos at the game and unused seats in the arena.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

JMV had Calbert Cheaney (1st season as an NBA assistant) on last week just before the Golden State game, one of the things that stood out to me was the part where Cheaney talked about how important it was this level to make sure that his players maintained their confidence through good and bad. (The interview is up in the podcast section of his site: http://www.1070thefan.com/jmv/podcast.aspx)

The fact that a first year assistant has picked up on something that an NBA Head Coach for eight seasons has apparently NEVER gotten is rather telling.

CALBERT CHEANEY FOR HEAD COACH!!
    Last edited by Sandman21; 01-23-2011 at 04:52 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    That only makes sense if they hadn't picked up his option for a 4th year BEFORE his 3rd year. There was no reason for that.

And there isn't much difference in firing him now and letting an assistant take over as far as costs go. The real difference would be in the signal it sends to the team and fans (which is management sees O'Brien is a joke and is pulling the plug on him before it gets any worse). That should stop some of the bleeding as far as the team questioning if management has a clue how bad O'Brien is... and it should help stem the tide of fan anger and apathy that is leading to boos at the game and unused seats in the arena.
    I think that it had more to do with the lockout and what kind of coach we could have gotton.

O'Braindead, your comment is simply amazing

Congratulations

As long as Burke has been here, what does it say about him that the team would rather play out the season with O'Brien rather than give him the reins for a few months?

What does it say about the franchise that he's been here this long, and under these circumstances they don't let him have the big chair for a few months?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Or gotten around to bring in some better players?

Quote Originally Posted by aaronb View Post
    Or gotten around to bring in some better players?
    We went from Watson and Ford to Collison and Price

We went from dopehead Rush to Mike, a clean Rush, and Paul George (Paul is the best of the three)

We went from an injured Danny to Danny

We went from Troy Murphy to Tyler and Josh.. Look at Troy's stats this year if you want to see how good he is.

We went from an out of shape Roy and Solo to a healthy Roy and Foster.

It is pretty annoying to use the cop-out of "We're just not that good."

We will have something like $28 million in cap space in the offseason with George, Hibbert, Granger, and Collison. We're going fine talent wise.

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

O'Brien as coach guarantees our players will look "just not that good"....

------

-John Wooden

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Well,

In here (PORTUGAL) the sport commentator says "Jim O'Brien is one of the best coaches in Nba, because with no players, is having a nice year".

When he said that, I wanted broke my TV "OMG this guy said that" - I thought

P.S: Sorry guys, im Portuguese, and my English isn't very good =P

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LucasRL13 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    This.

I have really not much problem with the offensive or defensive system, as we have seen our defense has improved and our offense when executed well can be effective. The problem lies with the rotations and yanking of players by JOB.

AJ Price have been good the past season and this year's preseason, yet he's behind TJ Ford, who really sucks as of late. Paul George has proven himself enough to warrant at least 20+ minutes at SG, yet he's seeing so less minutes for Mike and Rush, both are really not doing well. Tyler and Mcbob have shown they can contribute offensively, yet they are getting yanked so easily and are being robbed of minutes by Posey, who is for some reason being "forced" to play heavy minutes and is asked to camp at the 3pt line and guard athletic PFs. Roy has struggled lately, but has come around the previous game, only to watch at the bench on the final quarter for Solo, who didn't even significantly contribute on the game.

I have no ill towards JOB, but his performance as coach is very, very poor. I don't know what he sees in those vets he play that have been playing poorly. And I don't know why he's fooling around with the young ones' minutes. He could be a very good coach for the Celtics, who has great veteran players. But in this current Pacers, where the youth outplays the vets, he's not a good fit.

Yeah, this is easily the most annoying thing.