Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which mid-tier FA's will the Pacers target?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Which mid-tier FA's will the Pacers target?

Assuming that the Pacers hold on to their expirings, which mid-tier FA's will the Pacers go after? I have seen the big names like David West or Zack Randolph, but I am more interested in the mid-level guys that could be signed. Guys like Wesley Matthews, who would have been a good signing last summer if we had $$.

Default Re: Which mid-tier FA's will the Pacers target?

I'd rather see us hold onto the cap and trade, than sign a bunch of mediocre guys. We have already had that, for the last 5 years.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd rather see us hold onto the cap and trade, than sign a bunch of mediocre guys. We have already had that, for the last 5 years.
    Exactly. I don't think we need to find any more mediocre players. We're full of that.

I'd rather put all our money towards just one or two big free agents. I don't want more mediocre players.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

i guess i was wondering if there are any younger fa's, that could potentially break out with the Pacers if given minutes. I agree that I don't want anymore Solomon or Dahntay Jones type signings. I wouldn't mind signing guys like Nick Young, Thaddeus Young, or even Shelden Williams. You know, young players that may not have reached their potential yet.

One guy I like, without looking up the list of free agents is Marcus Thorton. He is a restricted free agent, so it might be hard to get him. He is also pretty small 6' 3", 6' 4" range, but he played really well next to DC last year at New Orleans.

Zach Randolph, David West...big names? If we waste all the money on one of these guys well be a 7th seed year after year. I'll consider jumping wagons.
    Here we come lottery?

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    Zach Randolph, David West...big names? If we waste all the money on one of these guys well be a 7th seed year after year. I'll consider jumping wagons.
    I'd love to have either one of those guys here, even if we have to pay them 13-14 million. Do you realize how much better we'll be? I mean not to mention how much it will benefit our young guys like Tyler and Josh to learn from somebody like West of Randolph. I mean who are the learning from now? Nobody! Did they learn anything from Troy Murphy last year? Probably not. Its tough to develop young guys when you have no players infront of them who are head and shoulders better.

I don't want Zach Randolph anywhere near the Pacers. David West, maybe, depending on the contract.

Otherwise, give me Jeff Green.

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    OK, but the problem is yes there is a salary cap, but there is also a salary minimum (assuming the new CBA has one) so teams have to spend a certain level of money and it is higher than 28 million

I love Zach Randoph's game. I for one would take a risk on him not having of court issues here. But, I doubt Bird wants to take that risk.

At the start of the season I did not want West here. I just thought he was to old and not big enough to play next to Roy. After reading things on here and watching him play on youtube mostly. I am starting to change m mind. He is exactly what DC needs. I would take him, but not not for more than a 4 year contract.

One guy I would still look at is Carl Landry. He is about the same size as West a couple of years younger. Carl came into the NBA late at 23, so his legs haven't played a lot of games yet. He plays on both ends of the court and plays bigger than his 6' 9" size. He was talked about a lot earlier this season, but latley his name hasn't came up much.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    OK, but the problem is yes there is a salary cap, but there is also a salary minimum (assuming the new CBA has one) so teams have to spend a certain level of money and it is higher than 28 million
    Well, you don't have to start the year at the minimum, you just have to spend it during the year. Which works fine, if you do midseason trades. Besides, even if you don't, you'll just have to pay up the difference to the league at season's end. No big deal.

Btw, the minimum is near 44 mil this year. Just by filling the roster spots without any serious free agents, we'd be ~40 mil at the start of next year.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    Assuming that the Pacers hold on to their expirings, which mid-tier FA's will the Pacers go after? I have seen the big names like David West or Zack Randolph, but I am more interested in the mid-level guys that could be signed. Guys like Wesley Matthews, who would have been a good signing last summer if we had $$.
    Matthews is a great example of a guy who turned out to be an excellent signing.

Not sure if there's anyone like that this year. But it would be interesting if the Pacers try to sign Bucks RFA Mbah a Moute. Excellent defender, but more of a role player than a star.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I've been in support of bringing in Nick Young for a week or so now, but only if we move one of Granger or Rush and this is assuming that Mike isn't brought back.

He hasn't reached his potential yet, and he has very good numbers considering that he doesn't get all that consistent playing time. He shoots an impressive percentage and overall he's the ideal sixth man scorer for when we are a good team and starter for now. I wouldn't have a problem bringing in Thornton either, he's good with or without the ball in his hands.

I would actually really like to get a look at Shelden Williams. I think he could develop into a Dale Davis type of player off the bench....but only for the vet minimum or somwhere right around there. He would certainly be better than Solo Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Matthews is a great example of a guy who turned out to be an excellent signing.

Not sure if there's anyone like that this year. But it would be interesting if the Pacers try to sign Bucks RFA Mbah a Moute. Excellent defender, but more of a role player than a star.
    i do like where u are going with LR mbah a moute. Why is it that all those guys who have came out of UCLA recently have been good pros? LR mbah a moute, westbrook, love, collison, holliday, afflalo, jordan farmar. Maybe we should just draft players exclusively out of UCLA going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylder1324 View Post
    I would actually really like to get a look at Shelden Williams. I think he could develop into a Dale Davis type of player off the bench....but only for the vet minimum or somwhere right around there. He would certainly be better than Solo Jones.
    Shelden is interesting. He was a really high draft pick, but has never had his chance to shine. You really can't say he is a bust because he has always played behind veteran, all-star claibur players.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Chris Wilcox.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Chris Wilcox.
    is this a joke that went bad?

Sports Logo

Assuming that we don't make any major changes....here is where I think that we will stand at the beginning of the 2011 FA offseason:

PG - DC / AJ ( either as the backup PG or 3rd String PG ) / PG3???
    SG - "New Starting SG???"/ BRush / Lance
    SF - Granger / George / Posey
    PF - "New Starting PF???" / Hansbrough / "Backup PF3"
    C - Hibbert / "Backup C???" / "Backup C2???"

To me, that would mean that we would need to get the following:

- Starting Quality SG
    - Starting Quality PF
    - Backup Center
    - Backup 2nd or 3rd String PG ( depending on what you think AJ should be )
    - A 3rd Backup C
    - A 3rd Backup PF

We wouldn't be looking for a "mid-tier" FA for our Starting SG and PF ( sorry, I don't think that BRush is a Starting quality SG...he's a very good 1st GF off the bench )....so in terms of Mid-tier FAs....I'd think that we'd be looking at backup Players. But since our Wing SG/SF backup postions will be occupied by BRush/PG/Posey/Lance....then we're looking primarily for a backup PG and some Big Man depth.

So the obvious question is....what quality Backup Big Men and PGs are out there?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I am not sure if he was extended but Kendrick Perkins would be nice backing up Roy. Maybe a 5-6 million dollar deal.

I could see the Pacers making a run at Carl Landry. He spends time in Indy during the summer working out, his agent is based in Indy, and he seems like he would be a good for the Pacers as he plays bigger than his 6'9 frame and could provide us with 17/7 per game without breaking the bank.

I think the Pacers could make a run at Zach Randolph. I think Zach has really matured and it's hard to argue with a guy putting up 22 & 10 every night. If we could sign him to a deal that wouldn't be too crazy, I'd be in favor of doing so.

There are a couple of role players that I could see the Pacers making a run at including Jason Kapono, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Shelden Williams, etc.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I am not sure if he was extended but Kendrick Perkins would be nice backing up Roy. Maybe a 5-6 million dollar deal.
    No way in hell he will take a backup role he will start somewhere next yr. )he will be URFA)

Quote Originally Posted by Wylder1324 View Post
    I mentioned Shelden before. I think he could be a good pickup.

Tyson Chandler will be a free agent too and would be a good pickup if healthy.

As others have mentioned Carl Landry would be a good pick up.

Luc Mbah a Moute would make a good addition.

There won't be a lot of help in free agency. The Pacers might just try to land someone like Josh Smith for a draft pick assuming the Hawks are willing to trade him and are looking for salary relief.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    No way in hell he will take a backup role he will start somewhere next yr. )he will be URFA)
    I would absolutely love seeing him in Utah; That's the perfect destination for him and the perfect fit for the team.

Okur is a lot like Murphy.. He is just a bad fit and they need enforcer-esque defense that a guy like Perk would bring.

I think Randolph and West are above mid tier but they're not top tier either. I think our first move will be to go after someone like this that would be a difference maker. I personally don't want Randolf on the top of that list. I'd be willing to bet that Nene opts out and if he does I hope we're there with an offer sheet on the day he opts out. After we make a move for a big man I think we should go after a mid tier free agent only if that player is a significant improvement over anyone we have on the roster. If we don't make a trade before the deadline we may be better off taking our time in free agency after we can evaluate how the new cba effects all the teams over the new cap. If the cap is low enough we may be in a buyers market for talent.