Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's eating crow over Jeff Foster?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Who's eating crow over Jeff Foster?

I'll be honest, I didn't think he would add much to the team this year but I didn't outright denounce him as having no value. He has been pretty damn great lately though. He's not as quick/athletic as he once was but damn is he a smart player. I'm amazed that his body has allowed him to play as much as he has recently. He logged 30 minutes last night against a really fast paced offensive team, and has been over 25 minutes in our last 3 games.

Last 3:

@Golden State - 3 points, 15 rebounds, 1 steal (30 minutes)
    @Los Angeles (C) - 4 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal, 1 block (29 minutes)
    vs. Chicago - 6 points, 15 rebounds, 2 steals (26 minutes)

I never would have thought before the season started that Jeff Foster would not only play significant minutes this season, but also increase his trade value in the process.
    Grown Man Ball

Default Re: Who's eating crow over Jeff Foster?

Jeff is not uping his trade value, he is only increasing the amount of money the Pacers are going to give him for his next contract.

I'm not saying I like it but Jeff is not going anywhere, unless there is such a deal that Bird can't turn it down.

I just worry that all of this cap space will be cut in half by re-signing Dunleavy & Foster.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Jeff has impressed me.

I still hope we don't waste money on him.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Instead of saying Jeff is done, I just see people criticizing him now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot of which is unwarranted. People expect too much out of Jeff. He's never been, nor will he ever be a threat on the offensive end (other than the boards and keeping plays alive). He doesn't make many mental errors, so there isn't much room to complain about there. Honestly, the only thing I've been able to complain about from Jeff are a few poorly timed jumpers. Overall though, I think Jeff's performance recently has been nothing but a good thing.

DISCLAIMER: This isn't any indication that I want the team to re-sign Foster after the season.
    Grown Man Ball

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Irrelevant.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Not criticizing him personally, he's definitely played much better than he has in a couple years, but I wouldn't want to spend another contract on him.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Not criticizing him personally, he's definitely played much better than he has in a couple years, but I wouldn't want to spend another contract on him.
    I agree.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Mood

Didn't say you did, but I've generally seen it. Jeff is who he has been for years, basically. I don't see the point in criticizing him now.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

He's been a pretty steady force as of late. I wouldn't want him back at his current price tag, but I wouldn't mind having him back.

I an not eating anything. I still don't think he's all that great. He's playing because we desperately need a rebounder and defense. But I thought he contributed to that last loss with stupid fouls at stupid times.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    He's been a pretty steady force as of late. I wouldn't want him back at his current price tag, but I wouldn't mind having him back.
    I agree. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that he has been our best defensive player, certainly a candidate for defensive MVP, if there was such a thing. Definitely a candidate for best 6th man (although he is often not the first off the bench he is certainly one of our best bench players). In fact, with all of Roy's problems, a case could be made that Foster should start at C, at least based on some of the matchups.

Jeff's a smart guy with a good business sense, and he also wants to retire as a Pacer, but not coach. If he is healthy, and even if we get another big, I would love to have Jeff back.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At this point, the best thing Jeff could do for us is net something decent in return for his expiring contract. Glad to see he's been able to get some PT this year but I'd much rather see Josh getting those minutes.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

Jeff is not uping his trade value, he is only increasing the amount of money the Pacers are going to give him for his next contract.

I'm not saying I like it but Jeff is not going anywhere, unless there is such a deal that Bird can't turn it down.

I just worry that all of this cap space will be cut in half by re-signing Dunleavy & Foster.

That's a discouraging post. Perish the thought. Bird WAAAY overpaid for Foster 2 years ago, and to read he might do it again just ruins my day.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post

At this point, the best thing Jeff could do for us is net something decent in return for his expiring contract.

Couldn't agree more. Foster is another injury waiting to happen.

I reserve to right to have to eat crow when the season is over. I want to see if this streak continues, if he can remain healthy, and can contribute at a level that will make me have to eat crow. In this case, I'll just adopt Bird's philosophy of patience b4 making a decision.

honestly i thought he was horrible last night..yea he had a decent amount of rebounds but imo he was a big part of why we lost last night..even my girl (who doesnt ever watch basketball) was asking why they would keep him in the game when the guy (hansbrough) that did good earlier was on the bench.I swear on both ends of the floor in the 4th he was messing up left and right

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DTheKing23 For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

The pick and roll with Jeff late in the 4th was horrible. Everyone was out of position. Jeff was tired and played too long. Josh got the start, why not let him or Tyler finish. Lee schooled Jeff in the 4th.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

The fact that he is playing 30 minutes actually makes me mad because we are still losing ballgames. HANS and McBob are taken out in crunch time. I will eat no crow until he shows that playing all those minutes wins us ballgames.

I love Jeff Foster. To hell with those of you who don't. I'd gladly take him back on this team next year--if he took a paycut.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beezer615 View Post
    The fact that he is playing 30 minutes actually makes me mad because we are still losing ballgames. HANS and McBob are taken out in crunch time. I will eat no crow until he shows that playing all those minutes wins us ballgames.
    I don't think that's fair. Just because you don't win the ballgames? Really? There are tons of decent players playing for bad teams, so either you set your bar really high or your criteria need some adjusting. Because right now, Foster's contribution is better on a per minute basis than any of our other bigs. Maybe if Hibbert could stay out of foul trouble and start playing like he did at the beginning of this season, then he could finish the games. And people have already stated their case as to why McBob is removed during crunch time.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I love Jeff Foster. To hell with those of you who don't. I'd gladly take him back on this team next year--if he took a paycut.

Just interested in what kind of money do you think the Pacers should sign Foster for??

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Just interested in what kind of money do you think the Pacers should sign Foster for??
    Personally I'd give him the vet minimum. Jeff knows that his current salary has him very overpaid and he's a loyal guy. If the front office comes to him after this season and tells him we want to keep him around for another year (maybe even 2) at the veteran minimum, I have a hard time believing he would turn that deal down. Problem is, the current vet minimum is $1.3 million but that ends after this season. It's going to be up to the CBA to determine what the vet minimum will be going into next season.
    Grown Man Ball

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

I suppose I would be one of the people who this thread was aimed at.

He has played decent enough. Nothing really special, in my opinion. However, he has been able to play more games consecutively than I ever imagined he would.

I still see no reason to play him as a member of the rotation. I just don't think he contributes anything at a level that warrants taking away valuable game experience from our younger players who will be at least the equal of Foster before their careers are over, which Jeff's surely is after this season. As a Pacer anyway, it should be over. I would hope we don't make a contract extension mistake with the same guy twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I suppose I would be one of the people who this thread was aimed at.

He has played decent enough. Nothing really special, in my opinion. However, he has been able to play more games consecutively than I ever imagined he would.

I still see no reason to play him as a member of the rotation. I just don't think he contributes anything at a level that warrants taking away valuable game experience from our younger players who will be at least the equal of Foster before their careers are over, which Jeff's surely is after this season. As a Pacer anyway, it should be over. I would hope we don't make a contract extension mistake with the same guy twice.
    Not aimed at any particular people. I just remember seeing more than a few people claiming that Foster shouldn't see any playing time at all and that he would not have any value on the court. Hell I was even one of those people who didn't think he had much value other than as a veteran leader. He has surprised me with his ability to log significant minutes and still rebound at a high rate.
    Grown Man Ball