Thread: Speculation time: what happened with TJ Ford

Default Speculation time: what happened with TJ Ford

I assume no one knows, so everything in this thread is speculation.

Why didn't Ford play at all last night?

Why does Ford every year either lose his starting spot or lose his spot in the rotation? Seems like it happens every January.

Why was Ford being played at all this season?

Why did Ford play well in November and then why did his play fall off so much since?

Will Ford be traded before the deadline?

I heard Mike Wells on AM 950 yesterday and he says the Pacers are trying to trade TJ and he is the most likely to be traded in the next 5 weeks.

OK that should be enough to get things started.

here is Wells blog on Ford

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...p-cd-for-ford/

Written by
    Mike Wells

OAKLAND, Calif. – Jim O’Brien gave a glimpse of what could be happening as the season progresses when he used A.J. Price as the backup point guard against Golden State on Wednesday.

O’Brien was in no mood to talk about his decision to go with Price. The Pacers’ inability to protect the ball was the hot topic after the game.

The only thing O’Brien said about T.J. Ford was that he’s not injured.

Ford got the indication that he probably wouldn’t play when he didn’t get much court time during their shootaround earlier in the day.

The Pacers are definitely looking to move Ford if they can get an asset in return prior to next month’s trade deadline. They’re confident enough that Price and Lance Stephenson can handle the backup point guard duties if Ford is traded.

Price looked rusty out there. He turned the ball over three times in 16 minutes off the bench.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-20-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Default Re: Speculation time: what happened with TJ Ford

Let's hope we don't waste all these expirings and not moving them to get picks or young talent.

Speculate away fellas.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

I wonder if they'll actually be able to pull it off now that he's an expiring. I mean how longs it been now, they've tried to trade him.

I'm thinking it still won't happen. Would you give up anything of value for TJ at this point? He may be worth more, to the Pacers, by just being done here.

Flip it.

I'll ask this, what would you give of value for TJ, Mike, or Jeff the their expirings?

I'm thinking a longer term/undesireable contract for a guy who might have be seen as a slight improvement.

They've wanted him gone for a long time. Hell, they tried to buy him out last summer. I think T.J.'s performance in the Clippers game might have been a factor as well. So it wouldn't surprise me that if they can't find a trade for him, they'll let A.J. take the backup PG reins for the rest of the season and let T.J. ride the bench.

I assume the only reason they've played him at all this season was to attempt to increase his trade value. I think they've been wanting to play A.J. Price all along.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

After watching AJ last night he is definitely not 100% on his injured leg. He really was favoring it last night and he has no lift.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't care what happened with TJ Ford. I'm just glad it finally did.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

JOB is so bipolar.

TJ has never been known for his defense, but the few games prior to last night, his D was awful. He was essentially letting his man get anywhere he wanted. I'm sure that had something to do with his benching.

Management may have also realized that playing him 20 mpg is not going to up his value beyond anything more than an expiring. He's not like Dun or Foster who could actually help a contending team improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I assume no one knows, so everything in this thread is speculation.

Why didn't Ford play at all last night?
    Meh...he's only played more than 13 minutes once in the last five games, and more than 20 minutes 4 times in the 23 games since. He hadn't been much of a factor for a while.

Why does Ford every year either lose his starting spot or lose his spot in the rotation? Seems like it happens every January.
    Here, he's been a flawed player who doesn't fit with the system or, really, the players around him. Elsewhere, there were comparable or better players behind him.

Why was Ford being played at all this season?
    Because he was the second best point guard on the roster, and he played within the framework of the team, and the team played well - particularly defensively - with him on the floor.

Either way, there's not a lot of difference between Ford and Price in terms of quality - other than one is not liked by the fan base and the other hasn't played enough minutes yet to not be liked by the fan base.

Why did Ford play well in November and then why did his play fall off so much since?
    Ford didn't play particularly well - individually - in November, and in fact, his numbers were a little better in December than November.

However, the team as a whole has played worse, especially Collison, Granger, and Hibbert, and that has exposed the flaws of the weaker players on the roster. In effect, guys like Ford, Posey, Solo, Dunleavy are more or less doing the same thing, but the top players on the roster aren't playing well, and what these guys can do isn't enough to cover up those downfalls. Therefore, instead of being role players, they just become players who aren't good enough.

Will Ford be traded before the deadline?
    It seems like there should be teams out there that could use a solid backup PG, but I'm not sure who off the top of my head. Add the fact that you have to take back $8 million (give or take) in contracts, the question would be who would want TJ that has something that (a) we want in return and (b) they're willing to give.

I think probably not.

I heard Mike Wells on AM 950 yesterday and he says the Pacers are trying to trade TJ and he is the most likely to be traded in the next 5 weeks.

OK that should be enough to get things started.

here is Wells blog on Ford

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...p-cd-for-ford/

Written by
    Mike Wells

OAKLAND, Calif. – Jim O’Brien gave a glimpse of what could be happening as the season progresses when he used A.J. Price as the backup point guard against Golden State on Wednesday.

O’Brien was in no mood to talk about his decision to go with Price. The Pacers’ inability to protect the ball was the hot topic after the game.

The only thing O’Brien said about T.J. Ford was that he’s not injured.

Ford got the indication that he probably wouldn’t play when he didn’t get much court time during their shootaround earlier in the day.

The Pacers are definitely looking to move Ford if they can get an asset in return prior to next month’s trade deadline. They’re confident enough that Price and Lance Stephenson can handle the backup point guard duties if Ford is traded.

Price looked rusty out there. He turned the ball over three times in 16 minutes off the bench.
    There could be something more to the story, but it seems like this is just shuffling deck chairs. Ford hasn't been doing much lately, and the offense hasn't been great with him on the floor all year long. Against a team like GS, it could be as simple as O'Brien thought he'd need more offense in the short minutes, so he went with Price.

Or, it could be that Ford is starting to get grumpy again as he's getting more and more squeezed by Collison.

Maybe he didn't play because he was traded

Mood

no he would have been inactive then

You dadgum rumor monger!

From the horse's mouth...

http://twitter.com/#!/SMosley21/stat...33409993789440

Hey @tj_ford, are you being traded?
    http://twitter.com/#!/tj_ford/status/28146286632894464

@SMosley21 not sure. Haven't had convo with anyone. Just doing my job
    Grown Man Ball

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    lol

I was going to say..we didn't play Ford, Solo or Posey last night...are we about to get away with highway robbery..(again...oh hai DC)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I was going to say..we didn't play Ford, Solo or Posey last night...are we about to get away with highway robbery..(again...oh hai DC)
    I hope so. Last night seemed like a showcase game for Foster and Dunleavy too. Bird has a trick up his sleeve.