Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Important Question!

  1. #1
    J-Wont
    Guest

    Default Important Question!

    If the Pacers drop Pollard off on the Hawks, with no salary in return, willl they then have enough free cap space to sign someone to the full MLE without going over the luxury tax threshold?
    That's what a guy is saying on RealGM
    It IS worth noting here that the reason why Indy has not used its MLE is because they are JUST BELOW the luxury tax threshold. If they dump Pollard and receive no salary in return--which is possible here, since the Hawks have quite a bit of cap room right now ($6-$7 mil, I believe), they can absorb the contract--the Pacers will suddenly be able to use their entire MLE. Who might they sign? STROMILE SWIFT. Why not? Jerry West might match it, but it's worth a shot, isn't it?
    LINK
    If that's true, than Indy should do it no questions asked, especialy if they can get a 2nd rounder in return.

  2. #2
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,327
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Important Question!

    We don't have use of the full MLE...already used part of it. I don not believe this bull pucky of Pollard to Atlanta. THey went thru too much while under the cap to take on a bad contract like his. THey could get some decent ones for anything like picks or whatever they might be willing to give up.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  3. #3
    J-Wont
    Guest

    Default Re: Important Question!

    Wasted half of the MLE on a scrub like Anthony Johnson? Sad.
    2.45 million is overpaying for Anthony Johnson. There was younger & more talented for cheaper out there. I would have offered Johnson the LLE (1.4M) and if he didn't accept I would've told his ugly *** to kick mud.
    Anyways, I'm assuming the reason Indy's not using their remaining MLE (2.45 million) is to avoid going into luxury tax territory. If we traded Pollard we could use it with no worries.
    So which would you rather have?
    Someone signed for 2.45 million
    Atlanta's 2005 2nd
    3.3 million knocked off the cap
    or
    Scot Pollard?
    A no brainer IMO.
    Now the question is, who's out there that could be had for 2.45 million? Surely theres better than these 2 big stiff foreigners?

  4. #4
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Important Question!

    You already paid 2.45 million for anthony johnson.

    What do you think another 2.45 million is going to get you......

    I love how we're all experts on spending someone else's millions. Even if there is NOBODY left worth $2.5 million, we want to see it spent anyways.

    I'm thinking the owner isn't going to sign off on a $2.5 million investment unless Donnie convinces him that the guy shows real promise.
    [edit=64=1094582976][/edit]

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  5. #5
    J-Wont
    Guest

    Default Re: Important Question!

    Kstein, even if Indy did spend the other half of their MLE after this trade, their salary cap would still be 3.3 million dollars lighter. So whats your point?
    And I'm sure there's some players out there that could provide more than the nothing Pollard provided last year and will more than likely provide again this year.

  6. #6
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Important Question!

    At this point, even if you WERE able to unload pollard for nothing, management would be better off just saving the cash. There aren't any quality free agent left for that price.

    Kstien? So I'm jewish now?
    [edit=64=1094584597][/edit]

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. #7
    Member Ultimate Frisbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: Important Question!

    How much would Keon Clark cost for a year or two?
    Here, everyone have a : on me

  8. #8
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Important Question!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At this point, even if you WERE able to unload pollard for nothing, management would be better off just saving the cash. There aren't any quality free agent left for that price.

    Kstien? So I'm jewish now?
    I see a real easy, but completely inappropriate joke....

    Putting down the keyboard; walking away...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  9. #9
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Important Question!

    Anyone remember that old TV show, "The Rifleman?" Yeah, it sucked.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  10. #10
    J-Wont
    Guest

    Default Re: Important Question!

    I dont see the joke.
    Does it have something to do with the Jimmy Kimmel citizens burning down Detroit joke and the Holacaust?
    And if Keon Clark's healthy and could be had I'd much rather have him than Pollard. The worst he could do is completely suck, which would still make him more valuable than Scot Pollard who completely sucks and then some.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Important Question!

    If Keon Clark would sign for the remaining half of the MLE, that would be good value.

    That's all we could give him, whether we dropped Pollard for a bag of donuts or not, since we'd still be way over the salary cap.

    Dropping Pollard has ZERO effect on the ability to sign someone, other than the fact that total payroll would not increase in the process.
    [edit=97=1094587807][/edit]
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  12. #12
    Member Vicious Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,207

    Default Re: Important Question!

    I like the Keon idea, but Hicks or someone said he has real attitude problems when I mentioned it a while back. Anyone else heard that?
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

  13. #13
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Important Question!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone remember that old TV show, "The Rifleman?" Yeah, it sucked.
    Ouch.

    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  14. #14
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Important Question!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the Keon idea, but Hicks or someone said he has real attitude problems when I mentioned it a while back. Anyone else heard that?

    He's had some drug arrests/ legal problems in downstate Illinois (his hometown). He's not any worse to have on your team than say, Randolph or Wells. Of course, he's not *that* good of a player, either...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  15. #15
    Member Ultimate Frisbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: Important Question!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the Keon idea, but Hicks or someone said he has real attitude problems when I mentioned it a while back. Anyone else heard that?

    He's had some drug arrests/ legal problems in downstate Illinois (his hometown). He's not any worse to have on your team than say, Randolph or Wells. Of course, he's not *that* good of a player, either...
    Keon's had that and a few attitude problems over the years... But I'm not really sure if he is that much of a risk to team chemistry... He has the athletic skills to help out at C here... I'm really not sure if he'd sign for half of a MLE though...

    Maybe because he was injured all of last year, because no one trusts that he will be healthy and not a detriment, and because it is this late in the signing period we could get him for half the MLE...
    Here, everyone have a : on me

  16. #16
    RA231
    Guest

    Default Re: Important Question!

    Is Slowmile Swift still a free agent?

  17. #17
    Member Ultimate Frisbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: Important Question!

    Quote Originally Posted by RA231
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is Slowmile Swift still a free agent?
    Yep, but I'm pretty sure the Grizz would match anything we could offer... I also doubt Stromile would accept anything under the MLE.
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •