Thread: Dunleavy still waits for 1st trip to playoffs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Dunleavy still waits for 1st trip to playoffs

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...-trip-playoffs

Mike Wells
    IndyStar.com
    OAKLAND, Calif. -- Mike Dunleavy was traded to the Indiana Pacers from the Golden State Warriors four years ago this week.

Dunleavy, the No. 3 pick in the 2002 draft, thought he was leaving a franchise that hadn't gotten a sniff of the playoffs in 13 years and heading to one that had been a regular in the postseason.

Four years and 247 games later, Dunleavy is still searching for his first playoff appearance. Time is running out for him to make the playoffs with the Pacers. Indiana has been struggling for more than a month, and Dunleavy is a trade candidate.

The Pacers play Dunleavy's former team, Golden State, tonight.

"Unfortunately we haven't won a lot of games, but the last four years here in Indiana have been great," Dunleavy said. "From the Golden State standpoint, I still feel like I needed a change. It was the right thing."

Dunleavy had a breakout season in 2008 when he averaged a career-high 19 points in Jim O'Brien's first year as coach.

Dunleavy put up those numbers without much flash to his game.

There are no explosive drives to the basket. He uses a pump fake, one dribble and jump shot. He's more of a team defender than an individual defender.

Dunleavy, who excels at moving without the ball, hasn't had too many big games the past few seasons.

First there was a knee problem that limited him to 18 games two years ago. He spent last season trying to work his way back into form. This season, he is sharing the wing position with Danny Granger, Brandon Rush and rookie Paul George.

"What (Dunleavy) means to us is that he knows offensive basketball and he knows the schemes of defensive basketball," O'Brien said. "He does everything right every day in practice. When you have a guy that does everything right every day at practice, he's a great model for anybody that's younger than he is."

Dunleavy is shooting 43.4 percent from the field this season. His percentage is better than the previous two seasons but still significantly less than the 47.6 percent he shot during the 2007-08 season.

He's coming off a 1-of-10 shooting game against the Los Angeles Clippers on Monday.

"There's not one 3-point shooter or jump shooter in the league who doesn't go through ups and downs," O'Brien said. "I never worry about Mike shooting the basketball. I worry about quality of shots."

Dunleavy is in the final year of his contract, which means he's a candidate to be traded before the Feb. 24 trade deadline.

"Maybe I should worry about it, but I don't at all," he said. "It's not worth it. How I look at it is, I'll always be playing basketball. It doesn't matter if it's here or at the North Pole."

If he is not traded, the odds of Dunleavy returning next season aren't high, despite O'Brien saying he wants his swingman to return. The wing is the deepest position on the Pacers' roster.

"We've got a good group of young guys," Dunleavy said. "It's been fun growing here. I love being in Indiana. I love the organization and the coaching staff. We'll see what happens."

Dunleavy, 30, is at the point in his career where winning takes center stage. The Pacers, who will have plenty of salary cap space to work with this summer, haven't finished with at least a .500 record since going 41-41 during the 2005-06 season.

"You look at everything and not just focus on one thing," Dunleavy said. "I could not tell you what's a priority right now. Obviously winning is very, very important."

Default Re: Dunleavy still waits for 1st trip to playoffs

Keep on waiting, my friend.

Banned

And he'll be waiting ............................

My guess is that he'll see the playoffs for the first time next season. He'll sign for cheap with a playoff team looking for some depth. He'll do fine as a veteran role player coming off the bench, something like 7-8-9 in the rotation.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's not going to be as glamorous as he envisioned it but it's going to happen this year. Which I think works out nicely.. I've always like Dun and if he'd restructure that contract with us I'd love him to come back next year.
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4Life View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not going to be as glamorous as he envisioned it but it's going to happen this year. Which I think works out nicely.. I've always like Dun and if he'd restructure that contract with us I'd love him to come back next year.
    As long as we have a new coach who wont' play him as a starter.

M-V-P M-V-P M-V-P M-V-P M-V-P

8. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

no surprise Dunleavy loves the coaching staff

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    no surprise Dunleavy loves the coaching staff
    As much as we hate O'Brien, I'm willing to say Dun has more insight to the coaching staff and their inner workings. I'm sure there's a happy medium in all this. JOB is not nearly as bad as we think, but definitely not the answr long term.

He's more of a team defender than an individual defender.

Is that the NBA version of "she's pretty on the inside"?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karlton For This Useful Post:

Mood

A reminder of how Jim chooses his rotations:

"What (Dunleavy) means to us is that he knows offensive basketball and he knows the schemes of defensive basketball," O'Brien said. "He does everything right every day in practice. When you have a guy that does everything right every day at practice, he's a great model for anybody that's younger than he is."
    Same reason he put up with Troy, I think. Same reason he tends to favor our vets. It's flawed logic, but I understand it. Better to have a less talented player in the game so long as he can find his spots and do exactly what you tell him to do, as long as the more talented guy doesn't.

I suspect this has to do with Josh's benching as well.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Its still amazing how the Golden State fans still boo Dunleavy when he returns. I'm pretty sure they're gonna boo him real good tonight.
    BUILT, NOT BOUGHT

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    A reminder of how Jim chooses his rotations:

Same reason he put up with Troy, I think. Same reason he tends to favor our vets. It's flawed logic, but I understand it. Better to have a less talented player in the game so long as he can find his spots and do exactly what you tell him to do, as long as the more talented guy doesn't.

I suspect this has to do with Josh's benching as well.
    I don't think it is a flawed logic at all. Although I think your discription of why a coach likes players who know what they are doing is a bit flawed.

Why wouldn't a coach like a player and like playing a player who follows the game plan, knows the game plan and has the smarts to follow the game plan. That is all it is. A player not knowing how to play team defense ruins a teams defense a lot quicker than a player who knows the defense but gets beat due to lack of athleticism.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Why wouldn't a coach like a player and like playing a player who follows the game plan, knows the game plan and has the smarts to follow the game plan. That is all it is. A player not knowing how to play team defense ruins a teams defense a lot quicker than a player who knows the defense but gets beat due to lack of athleticism.
    I don't think the comparison is between a player who always gets it right and a player who always gets it wrong. The difference between people here seems often to be the value of someone who gets it right but doesn't bring much more than that vs. someone who makes mistakes but can bring a lot of extras to the table most of the time.

I said to Peck more than once that JOB is very conservative with his coaching, and this fits. He'd rather have someone who could fail while doing everything right than risk having someone who could succeed but that he can't count on a baseline from. The argument is that as a particular game situation gets closer to "nothing is working" a lot of fans (and some coaches) would choose to go with the potential upside than stick to the baseline and hope the stats average out.

While I understand why JOB makes his choices, I have to say that there are times even I can't understand why the error toward the potential upside isn't made in situations where the baseline isn't cutting it.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karlton View Post

Is that the NBA version of "she's pretty on the inside"?
    No, it means that he helps players who have been beaten off the dribble to prevent them from getting layups. It means he will sag off his man or shade in a direction needed to prevent a passing lane from being available that the offense could exploit.

Unfortunately most people only see if he stops a player 1 on 1 or if his man gets an open jumper, without realizing he's helping so it's now someone else's responsibility to help the helper. Too many act, or think that they way they play defense in the YMCA or in their neighborhood court is how NBA teams should play defense.

Last edited by xBulletproof; 01-19-2011 at 03:58 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    No, it means that he helps players who have been beaten off the dribble to prevent them from getting layups. It means he will sag off his man or shade in a direction needed to prevent a passing lane from being available that the offense could exploit.

Unfortunately most people only see if he stops a player 1 on 1 or if his man gets an open jumper, without realizing he's helping so it's now someone else's responsibility to help the helper. Too many act, or think that they way they play defense in the YMCA or in their neighborhood court is how NBA teams should play defense.
    Mike's defense is actually pretty close to what I get to see at my gym every week.

Sports Logo

You sound like Mike himself talking.

It's never his fault. He never makes mistakes. It's always someone else who isn't where they are supposed to be. Someone else isn't listening. No, him and his almighty basketball IQ, the product of being a coach's son, can never be the one to blame.

You guys wonder why they boo him in Golden State? It's partly because his entire time there he did nothing but deflect the blame.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    You sound like Mike himself talking.

It's never his fault. He never makes mistakes. It's always someone else who isn't where they are supposed to be. Someone else isn't listening. No, him and his almighty basketball IQ, the product of being a coach's son, can never be the one to blame.

You guys wonder why they boo him in Golden State? It's partly because his entire time there he did nothing but deflect the blame.
    I don't judge a player by what he says I judge a player by how he plays and Maike is a smart player - he plays smartly

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But at the same time, Mike gets beat so regularly off the dribble that it puts pressure on the rest of the team as well. Which is why I hate the whole "well he might suck one-on-one but you have to have his team defense on the floor!" argument.

At some point in time, doesn't getting beat so easily off the dribble, and the added pressure to the rest of the squad, negate the positive effects he has off the ball??

Okay, so he slides over and takes two charges. Doesn't mean squat if he gets beat 5 times a game, when his replacement wouldn't be getting beat, because it will either lead to scores or fouls.

At some point in time, it will become a wash (which is what you hope for) but there are many times when it actually hurts you more.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Okay, so he slides over and takes two charges. Doesn't mean squat if he gets beat 5 times a game, when his replacement wouldn't be getting beat, because it will either lead to scores or fouls.
    Not taking the charge, not cutting off passing lanes, and having players who aren't helping each other will lead to points and fouls just as sure as getting beat off the dribble. In fact if you have players helping and rotating correctly it will negate, or minimize a player getting beat off the dribble.

Were the 90's Pacers good at defense individually? Not most of them. McKey and Dale, yes. Ric, Mark and Reggie? Not so much. Regardless they were good as a unit because they knew when to help, and where to be. Like Mike.

That's why the defense by the numbers is better with Dunleavy than without him.

Sports Logo

I think that Dunleavy will be waiting another year for his 1st trip to the Playoffs.

Who owns the streak for playing the most games without making to the Playoffs?

It was Jamal Crawford before, but MurphLeavy has to be on that list somewhere.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Who owns the streak for playing the most games without making to the Playoffs?

It was Jamal Crawford before, but MurphLeavy has to be on that list somewhere.
    Murphy is currently #1. Could change if he gets traded to somewhere else or is bought out (unlikely) and signs somewhere else.

Dunleavy is #2. Could change this year as the Pacers will easily be in the playoff chase.