Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe its time to think about trading Roy

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Maybe its time to think about trading Roy

Before your initial reaction is "oh my God no". I am just asking to take a look at it logically. I can not recall a game where both Roy and Danny had outstanding games together. Danny maybe or maybe not is a star, but at worst he is an above average player. I don't recall ever seeing a player regress to the level or Roy Hibbert this season. At first glance it is easy to place all the blame on Jim, but to me Jim has tried harder this year more than ever, to make Roy the focal point of the offense, and it is clearly not working. Since the first month Roy has been on a slide backwards, with no signs of turning it around. I love Roy as what type of person I think he is, but whatever the case may be he doesnt play well with Granger and the style of play that Granger likes. Danny also seems to be much stronger mentally.

In the past the Pacers have held on to players too long, like in my opinion not trying to move either Troy or Dun after their career years. To the rest of the NBA Roy represents a solid building block, so why not strike before the iron is completely cold?

Its not that I necessarily want Roy traded, but if we can get back a solid player for putting Roy in the package , I think we have to seriously consider it

The most depressing aspect of the season for me is not that Jim is still the coach, but that Jim gave Roy a chance this year and he has failed miserably.
    Sittin on top of the world!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Maybe its time to think about trading Roy

it depends on what we could get for Roy. With how bad the Pacers have been, any player should be considered "tradeable."

In Roys case, it is really hard to give up on a Center prospect becasue it is freakin hard to fill that position. With a few exceptions, you need a good big man to ever be a contender.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

RWB

Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it depends on what we could get for Roy. With how bad the Pacers have been, any player should be considered "tradeable."

In Roys case, it is really hard to give up on a Center prospect becasue it is freakin hard to fill that position. With a few exceptions, you need a good big man to ever be a contender.
    A few years ago I definitely think that was the case, but now there are a good half of the teams in the league using a PF at C

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    A few years ago I definitely think that was the case, but now there are a good half of the teams in the league using a PF at C
    sure. you need a good "big man", which could be a PF, like Tim Duncan or Amare which are basically Centers. In our case, Josh and tyler will never be dominant big men.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not ready to give up on Roy. I would love to see him with a different coach. I think he just needs a change in "direction"...... IMO.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy needs to call Bill Walton back up IMMEDIATELY
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    I'm not ready to give up on Roy. I would love to see him with a different coach. I think he just needs a change in "direction"...... IMO.
    Yeah, this. But I think Walton sucks too, he should be mentored by Zo or Ewing.
    "Did we learn anything?"-Jonathan Ames

"No, but thats okay, It's a good thing to stay in the dark about things - it keeps life more interesting."- George Christopher

Danny and Roy both played well during most of the games we were winning earlier in the year...remember, back when Danny was playing great defense?

That extra 10-15 points that Roy hasn't been scoring since then...Danny and Darren have been forced to try to compensate for...and neither of them have been doing as much on the defensive end as a result.

An underachieving player going through a slump turns into a vicious cycle.

Yes, Roy has been underachieving. But no, it's not the time to trade him.

The difference between what he did 20 games ago and what he's doing now is easily fixable. He didn't lose his talent or his abilities overnight.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Now would be a horrible time to trade Roy. His value in a trade is at an all-time low right now.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

No.

First, I want to see him with a good coach.

Second, the guy works hard, wants to be a part of the future, and if all he becomes is a solid role player than I'm okay with that.

Third, he's a 7'2 skilled center. He's young and he's cheap. We won't get equal value for him.

I think people are getting quite impulsive, and just want to see change for the sake of change.

Personally, I want to see a good coach and let the younger guys develope for a season, just to see what they look like. I think it's really hard to judge right now.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Now would be a horrible time to trade Roy. His value in a trade is at an all-time low right now.
    I respectfully disagree

He is still a talented 7 footer, who has shown a lot of promise and is on a very cheap rookie contract, who has improved each year in the league. Right now it can be written he is in a slump, which is normal, yet if it continues the entire year, then I think his stock takes a hit

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    No.

First, I want to see him with a good coach.

Second, the guy works hard, wants to be a part of the future, and if all he becomes is a solid role player than I'm okay with that.

Third, he's a 7'2 skilled center. He's young and he's cheap. We won't get equal value for him.

I think people are getting quite impulsive, and just want to see change for the sake of change.

Personally, I want to see a good coach and let the younger guys develop for a season, just to see what they look like. I think it's really hard to judge right now.
    I understand and agree with your points, it is just to get you have to give and I question whether Dannys game meshes well with Roys abilities

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy will blossom under a good coach. Right now its all mental.

When he was averaging 18/10/3 or around that area, O'Brien went to the press and bashed Hibbert. Ever since then has been the drop off. Lets get a coach who will encourage him before we trade him over a slump.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

I understand and agree with your points, it is just to get you have to give and I question whether Dannys game meshes well with Roys abilities
    Danny has to go before Roy does.

Both of them should stay until we find a coach, but if one were have to go, it would need to be Danny.

If all it took for Roy's play to go in the crapper was one rough press snippet from his coach, then his mental stability is way worse than we ever thought.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Roy will blossom under a good coach. Right now its all mental.

When he was averaging 18/10/3 or around that area, O'Brien went to the press and bashed Hibbert. Ever since then has been the drop off. Lets get a coach who will encourage him before we trade him over a slump.
    Im sry but u shouldnt need encouragement at the nba level this is his job. If he really needs encouragement then i doubt he is mentaly tuff to every be a decent NBA player

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Danny has to go before Roy does.

Both of them should stay until we find a coach, but if one were have to go, it would need to be Danny.
    I used to feel the same my man but Danny has never had the kind of shtty games Roy has had.

Bottom line is Danny is a PROVEN all star, Roy has yet to prove anything close

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    If all it took for Roy's play to go in the crapper was one rough press snippet from his coach, then his mental stability is way worse than we ever thought.
    No doubt man,and I agree with you

but still could have an effect like Roy thinking maybe he is just not good enough

Let's talk again after two-three months with a new coach and a good PF on his side.
    Thank you Jeff.

Mood

It's never a good idea to sell low.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post:

Didn't he fall off after he got wacked in the head by Dwight?

Maybe he's become tentative and thats his problem.

Let's get a new coach before we start talking about what we should do with our young core players.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Im sry but u shouldnt need encouragement at the nba level this is his job. If he really needs encouragement then i doubt he is mentaly tuff to every be a decent NBA player
    What I meant was, a coach that wouldn't verbally abuse him in the press would help. Had Roy been having a bad year when O'Brien said that, thats one thing. But when he's having a great year, and the coach comes in and pretty much says he is sucking, that would be a "What the hell do you want from me." moment and could potentially make him more nervous and tentative. Roy worked his *** off this summer, only to be told after dominating that it wasn't good enough. When in that situation, I think a lot of people would get a little nervous while playing, knowing everything you do or don't do will end up in the press by your coach in a negative manner.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

I'm constantly flabbergasted by the short-term, knee-jerk reactions by people on this board at times.

Seriously. We're less than half-way through the season, with a coach that everyone knows (hopes) will be gone at the end of this year. The system being run is completely guard/wing-oriented, with no consistent line-up.

Probably 25 games ago, people on here were talking about Roy being a future all-star. Now people want to trade him for, like Hicks mentioned, peanuts! Maybe you built your hopes up too high?

I personally really like Roy. I think people jumped way too far ahead in declaring him a perennial all-star. He's in his 3rd year people 3RD YEAR!. Centers and PG take longer to develop than other positions. Couple that with him playing under a coach who essentially doesn't believe in the need for a traditional center and there will be struggles.

Be more realistic people and have some patience!

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pacerDU For This Useful Post:

I don't know that I've ever seen anyone concerned with whether a center's abilities mesh with a wing's abilities. A PG's abilities, possibly. A PF's abilities, definitely.

I agree with Hick's that Hibbert's value is probably in the decline from the perspective of others in the league.

I'm not saying that anyone on our roster is untouchable, but like many of our other players, it would be nice to know what we have and how good they can be from the perspective of another coach.

What I do know is that should Hibbert be traded, we would have a pretty big drop-off in our ability to man his position. So, a trade would not be wise unless a center or PF is returned capable of playing center at a reasonable level of abilities.