Thread: Contender/Pretender Vol. 13 - Los Angeles Lakers

Default Contender/Pretender Vol. 13 - Los Angeles Lakers

Perhaps the most controversial team yet... Can the Lakers contend without Shaq? How will a Bryant lead team fair? What can Rudy T. bring to the table?

What are your thoughts on the Lakers prospects for this year?

Starters:

PG - Chucky Atkins
    SG - Kobe Bryant
    SF - Lamar Odom
    PF - Brian Grant
    C - Vlade Divac

Bench:

Tony Bobbitt - G
    Caron Butler - F
    Brian Cook - F
    Devean George - G-F
    Nate Johnson - G
    Jumain Jones - F
    Slava Medvedenko - F-C
    Chris Mihm - C-F
    Kareem Rush - G
    Sasha Vujacic - G
    Luke Walton - F

Coach: Rudy Tomjanovich
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Default Re: Contender/Pretender Vol. 13 - Los Angeles Lakers

They'll still be OK and probably be a lower playoff seed but they have no shot at a deep playoff run.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They will be decent.But I don't think they will make the 2nd round if they make the playoffs at all.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I'll put my neck out on the line and say Contender... yes, for everything...

I think they will struggle at first with a new coach and system and starting 5, but they will develop into a solid team.

I think Kobe will finally learn to be unselfish after he gets all that selfish energy out of him. If he is ever going to "be like Mike," this'll be the year that he turns it around.

Also, I think that the Lakers have a deeper bench then they've ever had before (which isn't saying all that much... but still).
    Here, everyone have a : on me

They will be better than the haters will like--but I don't know if that is saying a lot.

Sure I'll say playoff contenders. They have the best SG/SF combo in the league. Will Odom be Bryant's Pippen?
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Hmmm, I'm going to joing ILoveThePacers and say I think they'll contend for it all this year. I like the Divacs signing and I think Kobe is going to come out with even more fire in his belly. I just think he's going to show that he can raise the quality of play around him now that Shaq's gone.

That said, I like when they do well only to be crushed when they're hopes are high. Gives me something to razz my brother about. He said LA as a whole was almost suicidal after this years finals.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Kobe is a more talented version of Iverson.

If the other 14 guys buy into letting Kobe run the show then they will go only as far as he can carry them.

If they want to try to stand in the spotlight with him, there will be problems & they will go nowhere.

canyoufeelit

They will only be as good as Kobe Bryant is. If he is truly vastly overrated and struggles playing without the Diesel, the Lakers are nothing.

Contender. They are definitely going to surprise people this year.

I really like Rudy and Odom. I like Grant and Butler and Mihm, too. You can not underestimate how important getting Vlade was. Atkins I'm still iffy on, but he can shoot, and he won't be depended on to run the offense with so many great passers off the point.

Frankly, I would love this team if Kobe wasn't such a *******. But I still think he's gonna go off this year. He'll without question lead the league in scoring, and should fill out the box score with good assist and board numbers too.

Everybody talks about Shaq playing with a chip on his shoulder. Well, Kobe's got one too. They might not win the West, but I'm sure glad they're out there instead of in the East.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

ShadowKat

As much as people will probably hate me for saying so, I do like Kobe - and I like Kareem Rush even better. I doubt they'll go all the way this year, but I think they might make the second round.

Semi-off-topic, I'm intrigued by the Shaq/Karl pair, and even more intrigued by their move to Miami, hooking up (?) with former Lakers coach Pat Riley. I like the Heat this year. :]

What's this? karl to Miami?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

sweabs

I have heard Karl to Minesotta perhaps?