View Poll Results: Which player would you prefer as the new starting PF?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zach Randolph

13 17.11%
  • David West

56 73.68%
  • Neither!

7 9.21%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Randolph or West?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Randolph or West?

If you could sign either of these free agents in the offseason, which one would you prefer?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Randolph or West?

West. Zach is clearly a better player, but he'll be A.) more expensive and B.) a higher potential of being a headache. Not a Z-Bo fan whatsoever.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Banned

Neither, one is too small and the other one can't get out of trouble.

David West is currently better than anyone on our team.

West would be an amazing piece. Amazing. Him and Collison are the absolute perfect players to group together; they compliment eachother perfectly. Them, George, Granger (unless if he is traded..), and Hibbert (if he'll get over himself) will be a dangerous tandem.
    We need better than solid. No JJ Redicks, Andray Blatche, Mike Dunleavy type guys to have big roles on our team.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hoops_guy For This Useful Post:

i said west, since there is zero chance the pacers sign randolph. but i agree with vnzla. west would not be a good fit.

West. Z-BO a bit younger and better, but West has huge character advantage. He is one of the smartest and best character guys in the league, afaik. Zach's Indiana friends might lead him sideways.
    Neither of them is an answer to all our frontcourt problems. But would love either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Neither, one is too small and the other one can't get out of trouble.
    Too small? You do realize that Barkley was listed at 6-7 but was actually 6-4-1/2, right? West is 6-9 and 240 is a tough rebounder, good defender, an okay shot blocker, capable of shooting (and making a very good percentage) 18-foot mid-range shots, plays the PnR and PnP... and overall is one of the best PFs in the league.

Aren't you setting your standards a little high?

Maybe we can get him to hang himself from a bar all summer so that he comes into camp a full 6-11. Would that be more pleasing?

But you guys have got to be kidding yourselves. West would be an EXCEPTIONAL fit.

I would not want to sign West to a 5-year contract, but I would pay him solidly for a 3-year contract. If the new CBA sets limits to 4 years, then I would even give him a 4-year contract, if coerced.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Too small? You do realize that Barkley was listed at 6-7 but was actually 6-4-1/2, right? West is 6-9 and 240 is a tough rebounder, good defender, an okay shot blocker, capable of shooting (and making a very good percentage) 18-foot mid-range shots, plays the PnR and PnP... and overall is one of the best PFs in the league.

Aren't you setting your standards a little high?

Maybe we can get him to hang himself from a bar all summer so that he comes into camp a full 6-11. Would that be more pleasing?

But you guys have got to be kidding yourselves. West would be an EXCEPTIONAL fit.

I would not want to sign West to a 5-year contract, but I would pay him solidly for a 3-year contract. If the new CBA sets limits to 4 years, then I would even give him a 4-year contract, if coerced.

Here we go with the Charles barkley thing.

Again I like West, I just don't think he is the right fit next to Hibbert.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Neither...Don't like how either fits with our team...

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Here we go with the Charles barkley thing.

Again I like West, I just don't think he is the right fit next to Hibbert.
    I'm being totally serious with the following comment. I'm beginning to think that Hibbert himself may not be the right player to man the post for the Pacers.

So, my line of thinking is that West would be a great fit for the Pacers, even if they attempt to man him next to Hibbert. Unfortunately, Hibbert may not be able to perform up to West's standards, not the other way around.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by greenway84 View Post
    neither, i would rather save our salary
    4 who lol

I voted for zbo cuz of talent but I would love to get west I mean I can see Collisons assists and points going up, hibberts too. Has a great jumper, will grab a couple of boards for u and hibberts passing ability will be utilized with west. And why we at it how bout we get Thornton too; lol

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post

West is 6-9 and 240 is a tough rebounder, good defender,

West is a good PF, but a tuff rebounder at 7 rebs? He's average at "D".

Now with that out of the way, I'd rather have him than Zach. I'm not sure if he and Hibby would compliment each other, since neither is outstanding at "D" or rebounding. He definately would have a feel for DC's game, that's a +.

Neither. Signing one of them will put us around .500.
    Here we come lottery?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hoops_guy View Post
    David West is currently better than anyone on our team.
    NO! he is not. New Orleans would trade West for Granger in a heartbeat. We wouldn't though.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    West. Zach is clearly a better player, but he'll be A.) more expensive and B.) a higher potential of being a headache. Not a Z-Bo fan whatsoever.
    not sure i'd go as far as saying zach is "clearly" the better player. how exactly have you come to that conclusion?

Let me say this and then I am done here; Some of you are setting your standards way too high. I can completely understand passing on Kris Humphries, Anthony Randolph, etc., but you do not pass on someone who is:

1.) A top player in the NBA
    2.) Would become our best player
    3.) Fits like a glove

Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, and Amare Stoudemire are not walking through that door. We have to make fit with what we have and what we can make. We chose not to tank for the past three-four years (and had we tanked like that, there would be no "Indiana Pacers"), so we are banking on Paul George being a diamond in the rough and we are banking on our draft picks being solid as well as having cap space.

If Danny Granger and Roy Hibbert aren't getting the job done, we don't worry about whether or not David West fits with them. David West would become the best players, and we build about him, Collison, and George. Right now the only players that I wouldn't want to trade are Darren Collison and Paul George.. Everyone else is pretty expendable (assuming that Roy never gets better). Tyler, AJ, Josh, Rush, and all of them are easily replaceable and Danny and Roy could be had for some very solid pieces and they aren't big pieces of our future (Roy is a "sell high" situation, and Granger isn't the man and he's getting older while not improving).

People that say "pass" on guys like David West and Kevin Martin are mistaking themselves if they think that a guy like Kevin Love is going to come along.

Right now our core pieces are Danny, Roy, Collison, and George. Collison and George are going to be All-Star level players, and they are producing for their age and lack of support from the coaching staff. Collison and George aren't going to win us anything by themselves in their prime. If we can get a good prospect center for Hibbert, and a young rising star for Granger as well as getting more solid picks and free agents, than we can get there.

But you can't pass on guys like David West, Nene, and Kevin Martin when they are knocking at your door.
    We need better than solid. No JJ Redicks, Andray Blatche, Mike Dunleavy type guys to have big roles on our team.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoops_guy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    4 who lol
    Just cause we will have cap money doesn't mean we have to spend it on players that will not help us much. Putting us right back into the same situation we are in now, having to many overpaid mediocre older players.

A player/players/trade will come along, having extra money in our pocket will not burn a hole in it and if we don't spend it doesn't go away. Cap flexibility is something we should try to maintain.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Just cause we will have cap money doesn't mean we have to spend it on players that will not help us much. Putting us right back into the same situation we are in now, having to many overpaid mediocre older players.

A player/players/trade will come along, having extra money in our pocket will not burn a hole in it and if we don't spend it doesn't go away. Cap flexibility is something we should try to maintain.
    We wont have cap flexablity once we have to resign DC and other we should get a solid PF. via trade or FA before our cap goes to re up all our own guys. Both these guys would make our team better BTW.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

I'd say David West. I'm a fan of both him and Zach Randolph, but I'm afraid that it will be just our luck if we'd get Randolph next year and then he'll be in decline-mode and then since he'd be back around all his "cronies" that he'd get involved in more stuff that he should stay away from if you no what I mean. David West is a solid player, though...he doesn't rebound like Zach, especially with tip-ins and such, but West is the safer route. And man can David West nail those mid-range jumpers...it's ridiculous how good he is at that. It doens't hurt that West is younger as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post

That flexibility will be long gone in a couple of years. We'll have to re-sign Collison, Roy, George etc..

Then we'll be stuck at 45 wins forever. We are in a tough position; it's not stacked against us, but we don't have that much time.

Collison/AJ
    George/Rush
    Granger/Rush
    Hansbrough/Josh
    Hibbert/Josh

Is never going to win us a lot of games in their prime (well, unless if George becomes what I think he can be).

DISCLAIMER: The following is wishful thinking. This likely won't happen. We'll likely be stuck with Roy and Granger for a long time.

We need a solid starting five as well as a very good bench within the next couple of years. If Hibbert doesn't get any better within the next couple of months move him for a solid center prospect like JaVale McGee (and use whatever else neccessary like give them a second round pick or whatever), sign West (a fringe All-Star), and trade Granger for a good starter and a young guy with star potential (like George).

I saw something a couple weeks ago like Wes Matthews and Batum for Granger so I'll use that for example. Batum can become a Pippen-lite (i've seen that thrown around a lot), and Wes Matthews is similar to a poor man's- shorter- Ron Artest in his prime. McGee can become a much better center than Roy can be considering youth and potential AND RECENT PLAY (Roy, this goes out to you: )

In the future

Collison/AJ (or a draft pick)
    George/Wes
    Batum/Rush/Wes
    West/Hansbrough
    McGee/Josh (or a draft pick)

sounds a lot better than Collison/George/Granger/Hansbrough/Hibbert. This younger and higher potential team can be a homerun, or it can be what it would be like with Danny and others.

Of course this is somewhat far-fetched so I won't go any farther.

Mood

look what okc has done. they look for teams looking to cut salary and in return receive picks and young guys for giving other teams cap relief. we should be patient and do the same
    We should have started that **** 5 yrs ago.

We dont have a Ray Allen to trade for a top 5 draft pick.

And we dont suck bad enoght to get a top 5 pick for 3 plus yrs .so it is kind of hard to follow OKC's modle

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by hoops_guy View Post
    That flexibility will be long gone in a couple of years. We'll have to re-sign Collison, Roy, George etc..

Then we'll be stuck at 45 wins forever. We are in a tough position; it's not stacked against us, but we don't have that much time.
    Collison/AJ
    George/Rush
    Granger/Rush
    Hansbrough/Josh
    Hibbert/Josh

Is never going to win us a lot of games in their prime (well, unless if George becomes what I think he can be).

DISCLAIMER: The following is wishful thinking. This likely won't happen. We'll likely be stuck with Roy and Granger for a long time.

We need a solid starting five as well as a very good bench within the next couple of years. If Hibbert doesn't get any better within the next couple of months move him for a solid center prospect like JaVale McGee (and use whatever else neccessary like give them a second round pick or whatever), sign West (a fringe All-Star), and trade Granger for a good starter and a young guy with star potential (like George).

I saw something a couple weeks ago like Wes Matthews and Batum for Granger so I'll use that for example. Batum can become a Pippen-lite (i've seen that thrown around a lot), and Wes Matthews is similar to a poor man's- shorter- Ron Artest in his prime. McGee can become a much better center than Roy can be considering youth and potential AND RECENT PLAY (Roy, this goes out to you: )

In the future

Collison/AJ (or a draft pick)
    George/Wes
    Batum/Rush/Wes
    West/Hansbrough
    McGee/Josh (or a draft pick)

sounds a lot better than Collison/George/Granger/Hansbrough/Hibbert. This younger and higher potential team can be a homerun, or it can be what it would be like with Danny and others.

Of course this is somewhat far-fetched so I won't go any farther.
    the bolded part is 100% correct

neither, i would rather save our salary
    For someone better than David West??

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    We dont have a Ray Allen to trade for a top 5 draft pick.

Danny Granger.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to hoops_guy For This Useful Post: