Thread: Granger, Hibbert try to find what they lost on the road

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Granger, Hibbert try to find what they lost on the road

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/blog_brunner.html

Conrad Brunner
    Pacers.com
    The last time the Pacers had a four-game Western Conference road trip, Danny Granger and Roy Hibbert left something behind.

As the Pacers head out for their second and last four-game jaunt out West, the Pacers have much to gain if their two best players can find whatever they lost.

As with the first trip, this one begins in Los Angeles, with a Martin Luther King Monday matinee against the Clippers (3:45 p.m., WIBC 93 FM). The Pacers opened their last trip with an upset of the Lakers fueled by Hibbert's 24 points and 12 rebounds. They followed that up with a win in Sacramento as Granger scored a season-high 37 points.

At that point, the Pacers were 9-7 and Granger was averaging 22.7 points, shooting .452 overall and .417 from the arc. He had 10 games of at least 20 points, including four of at least 30.

Hibbert was averaging 16.1 points and 9.5 rebounds, shooting .488 from the field and was considered the early leader for the Most Improved Player award. He had seven double-doubles.

But then they suddenly, mysteriously, lost their way, dropping 14 of 21 games after that encouraging start.

Granger has averaged 19.4 points and shot .393 overall and .333 from the 3-point line in that span, with just eight games of 20-plus points including one of 30.

Hibbert has dropped to 10.0 points, 7.0 rebounds and .395 shooting with four double-doubles.

"Our offensive struggles," said Granger, "have been well-documented, to say the least."

This trip, then is about much more than grabbing a couple of victories and preserving playoff positioning. It's about getting their best players back on track so the Pacers can get on with business.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Granger, Hibbert try to find what they lost on the road

This is encouraging to read. Basically we've been dropping games because our two best players, Danny and Roy, have gone on an extended slump. Their isn't any team in the league, besides Boston, that could survive having that happen.

I'm extremely confident that this team, as currently constructed, is a lock to make it to the playoffs. Guys just gotta get their stuff together. Its still a lot of Basketball to be played.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I can't help but ask myself, "What in the hell happened," after reading an article like this.

Granger and Hibbert were so good.. I understand that Granger was probably going to go back to the way he was last year but Hibbert? Come one man. It's like he took the form of Paul Davis or something.

LA_Confidential, I really want to believe your point of view because its true. If Hibbert and Granger play like they did at the beginning of the season, we'll make the playoffs. But are they ever going to get better?

I don't know.

At least we a "new offensive weapon" in Collison/Hans to try to replicate what we lost, as much as I hate the fact that we are using this measure.

Isn't this getting to be long enough that it's beyond a "slump". I mean...how long is it before it's just regression and/or somebody isn't as good as we thought?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

8. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isn't this getting to be long enough that it's beyond a "slump". I mean...how long is it before it's just regression and/or somebody isn't as good as we thought?
    Honestly I don't know. I think the question you have to ask is, Does this stretch of 20 or so games erase Danny's body of work, or the progression Roy has made since being drafted? I don't think it does. If this continues for the rest of the season or the same stuff happens next year then maybe they aren't as good as we thought.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ugh, man, those numbers.

They've been so, so bad. And not just offensively, as this write-up suggests. Danny's defense is not what is was early on and neither is Roy's. That's part of what makes their performances so hard to stomach for me. Offensive slumps happen, but you can't let it take your head out of the game, you've got to find other ways to contribute to a win, especially if you're one of the top players on the team.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Looks like Granger has for the 1st game, we'll see what happens Wednesday