Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lance Stephenson says he's ready for his shot

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Lance Stephenson says he's ready for his shot

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011.../1062/SPORTS04

Written by
    Mike Wells

Indiana Pacers guard Lance Stephenson has sat patiently and watched as fellow rookie Paul George and second-year forward Tyler Hansbrough moved into the rotation the past few weeks.

Stephenson, who was given the nickname "Born Ready" while playing on the blacktops of New York, is ready for his chance to join his two teammates on the court.

The Pacers' second-round draft pick wants to show people he's not the same player who struggled defensively during the preseason. He also wants to show that his offensive game is better suited for the NBA.

When that time will come is anybody's guess.

Stephenson took a baby step recently when coach Jim O'Brien put him on the active roster.

The next step is for Stephenson to play in a game for the first time this season.

"I'm very anxious," said Stephenson, a person of few words. "I've been anxious. I have to prove to everybody that I learned a lot."

Friday's 13-point loss to Chicago would have been a perfect opportunity for Stephenson to play because the Bulls never felt threatened in the fourth quarter.

Stephenson didn't get off the bench.

"I would (feel comfortable playing Stephenson)," O'Brien said. "I think it would be a heck of a battle if Darren (Collison) or T.J. (Ford) went down for a period of time. I certainly hope they do not."

On paper, Stephenson is the fourth point guard behind Collison, Ford and A.J. Price.

Talent-wise, however, Stephenson is right up there with the other three. It's a matter of him maturing and getting a feel for the NBA game.

"I don't think it'll be a transition because my teammates have helped me throughout the season and I think when I get on the court, it'll be easy," Stephenson said. "I think I'm ready."

The knock on Stephenson has been his defense. Team officials say he has improved in that area. Stephenson said he has learned how to do "tricks" to cover up his defensive deficiencies.

"I don't think, in any stretch of the imagination, he would embarrass himself," O'Brien said. "I think the more minutes he played, the more everybody would understand why we're so high about his future.

"He would go out and make some mistakes, but at the same time, he would put a lot of pressure on the other team because he's so good off pick-and-rolls. He's so strong. I think he would do some good things."

Stephenson, who signed a two-year guaranteed contract over the summer, could have already gotten plenty of playing time had the Pacers decided to send him to their D-League affiliate in Fort Wayne earlier this season.

They held off on making Stephenson the first player to be shipped up I-69 because they want the former New York high school star to play in their system.

"I would rather sit and wait my turn," Stephenson said. "If I go to the D-League, I'm not learning any plays that the team runs. I want to stay with the team and get better at their system. My time will come at some point. And when it does, people will be surprised at how much I've learned from the preseason and how much better I've gotten."
    Personally, I can't wait for Lance to get on the court and show what he can do. I don't get why O'Brien says he would do all of these positive things yet won't give him any minutes.
    Grown Man Ball

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: Lance Stephenson says he's ready for his shot

I cant wait to see what he can do

the born ready bulldozer cant wait

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Personally, I can't wait for Lance to get on the court and show what he can do. I don't get why O'Brien says he would do all of these positive things yet won't give him any minutes.
    Because he's at best the fourth point guard and the fifth or sixth wing. These players don't see any time for any team that isn't riddled with injuries.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sobotka For This Useful Post:

I should have known someone would beat me to it.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

"I would rather sit and wait my turn," Stephenson said. "If I go to the D-League, I'm not learning any plays that the team runs. I want to stay with the team and get better at their system. My time will come at some point. And when it does, people will be surprised at how much I've learned from the preseason and how much better I've gotten"

Love that

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Can we just see him play for, I don't know, five minutes or something?

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    "I would rather sit and wait my turn," Stephenson said. "If I go to the D-League, I'm not learning any plays that the team runs. I want to stay with the team and get better at their system. My time will come at some point. And when it does, people will be surprised at how much I've learned from the preseason and how much better I've gotten"

Love that
    Seems that the players are having a good impact on the kid. You could also lose that if he goes to the D-League with no support system.

Now really free Lance!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

I am more than ready to see what he can bring. I am not sure if they will let him play before his court date on Feb. 25th. Though, letting him dress was a big step forward. They still need to let him get in a game.

Sure he is going to be raw, but we all know he won't be shy about taking the ball to the hoop. It would be nice to see if his game can translate to the NBA. My guess is he is going to have a adjust, but if he played limited minutes for the rest of this year, he would be able to get ready in the off season and have a real impact on this team next year.

I still believe we could use a good big combo guard and that is what Lance is suppose to be.

With our shooting woes, it would be great to throw teams a curveball and put in Lance.

It would be nice to make other teams adjust instead of JOB always adjusting to other teams (or not adjusting because he's stubborn)

Now really free Lance!

It still makes me cringe that they consider him a point guard.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

At some point, we'll have to see what he can do..

I only hope that when he gets his opportunity, he's played at both positions. He's not a point guard. If we play him there, he'll probably fail miserably.

He looked decent when he played with a PG in preseason. And pretty bad when he was the pg.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sobotka View Post
    Because he's at best the fourth point guard and the fifth or sixth wing. These players don't see any time for any team that isn't riddled with injuries.
    How do you know this? The guy hasn't seen a single second on the court yet.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

We're not winning, let's see him. Our offense is getting us bad shots and he's probably the best shot creator on the team.

I won't get into the pg debate, but I'm sure everyone can agree that he's best with the ball in his hands and he has great court vision.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    That's why we need to find out, but it's hard to play him because on paper..he is the fourth pg (sigh) or at best the fifth wing. (Behind Granger, Dun, BRush, and George)

It really annoys me that they still consider him a point. Dude can play point in this system and has great court vision, but his defense is going to suffer because of it. Just play him at shooting guard and run some pick and rolls with him.

Stephenson is great at getting to the rim. I wish he'd play just for that purpose.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

RWB

Ever since i saw him in the Summer League and his offense was so effortless.. i knew he was gonna be special IF he kept his mind right.. it appears he wants to be a real pro, instead of some full of himself waste of talent bum. I'm rooting for Lance, and want him to play already!!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to luis3ep For This Useful Post:

I can't wait to see him play. He was so much fun to watch in preseason.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

the interesting quote from the wells article was this one, imo.

"I would (feel comfortable playing Stephenson)," O'Brien said. "I think it would be a heck of a battle if Darren (Collison) or T.J. (Ford) went down for a period of time. I certainly hope they do not."
    this implies to me that lance is about even with AJ in the PG rotation. that says good things about next year. if lance can play the point, and this implies he can, pacers are in a good place. a big PG that can bull his way to the rim make a big difference in what the pacers can do offensively. all the little PG in the league now are suddenly defensive liabilities. instead of teams beating up on pacer little guys, the pacers are the bullies.

keep working lance, fix the things [ie defense] that are your problem areas. pacers need your size at the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I suppose there's a slim possibility that he's than better one of Collison, Ford, or Price, or Granger, Rush, Dunleavy, or George, but I find it pretty unlikely.

Six of the seven guys above are currently in the rotation, and I don't see any reason for any of them to fall out of it, and the most possible (Ford) would be replaced by the seventh (Price).

I saw him play in the summer league, in training camp, and in the preseason. I don't see any real value at all in him taking minutes from any of the seven guys listed above.
    Last edited by Sobotka; 01-16-2011 at 01:06 PM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sobotka For This Useful Post:

Interesting
    Point
    "Did we learn anything?"-Jonathan Ames

"No, but thats okay, It's a good thing to stay in the dark about things - it keeps life more interesting."- George Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Sobotka View Post
    I suppose there's a slim possibility that he's than better one of Collison, Ford, or Price, or Granger, Rush, Dunleavy, or George, but I find it pretty unlikely.

Six of the seven guys above are currently in the rotation, and I don't see any reason for any of them to fall out of it, and the most possible (Ford) would be replaced by the seventh (Price).

I saw him play in the summer league, in training camp, and in the preseason. I don't see any real value at all in him taking minutes from any of the seven guys listed above.
    I agree (other then Ford should fall out in favor of Price..in fact, he never should have been in the rotation ahead of Price)..however, the second the Pacers are out of the playoff race, we should figure out a way to get all of our young guys into the rotation..including Stephenson.

because quite frankly, the Pacers need to figure out what they have.

Also, if JOB is so confident in Lance..then why couldn't he find any minutes for Lance..at the end of a blow out..

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    I am more than ready to see what he can bring. I am not sure if they will let him play before his court date on Feb. 25th. Though, letting him dress was a big step forward. They still need to let him get in a game.

Sure he is going to be raw, but we all know he won't be shy about taking the ball to the hoop. It would be nice to see if his game can translate to the NBA. My guess is he is going to have a adjust, but if he played limited minutes for the rest of this year, he would be able to get ready in the off season and have a real impact on this team next year.

I still believe we could use a good big combo guard and that is what Lance is suppose to be.

His court date, I believe, is 1 day after the trade deadline ends.

I have no yearn to see Stephenson play. I'd much rather see more AJ Price playing.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    It still makes me cringe that they consider him a point guard.

Yep, nothing like trying to force square peg into a round hole. Wanting something and that something being able is 2 different things. I'd love to have a PG Stephenson's size, but I want a "true PG" not a SG forced into trying to play PG. I can't see how you could even consider Stephenson a combo guard with his lack of PG skills. He's a scoring SG who can't play "D". Those types are a dime a dozen.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Does he even deserve and credit at all for not making a single wave since the
    alleged incident"

Sookie?
    Sittin on top of the world!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

ans Sookie I'm not calling you out, its just at least to me you have been one of the strongest adversaries against Lance and I'm wondering if there is ever anything he can do to change your mind about him

If not that is your right and I have no problem with it
    Sittin on top of the world!