Thread: Pistons are the only team who can take the pacers out...heat? NO

Default Pistons are the only team who can take the pacers out...heat? NO

What is it with everyone overrating the heat? They traded there depth for shaq! Yes shaq is the most dominant player in the NBA. But Remember that the pacers had so much trouble with the heat was because guys like Odom would be killing Foster or JO...Rafer alston isn't going to be there to hit those really big 3's this time around! They have shaq,wade, and who? JONES!? LMAO...An aging eddie jones is there third option! They are in big time trouble. They basically have no depth on there bench either. So anyone who thinks Indy won't make the eastern conf. finals has lost it. And as for that with a healthy group and tins and JO not on one leg. I think we can beat the pistons. A bounce here and a bounce there and we would have beaten them in the conf. finals! with our 2 key guys injured! now we add Sjax who can shoot the 3 and spread the floor and we are bound to get to the finals! The heat are overrated and won't take the pacers out and detroit won't get lucky twice. So who does that leave? NO? Knicks? Don't make me puke...
    Pacers in 04-05...
    it's certain!

oh yeah...and the wolves might make the finals...If the spurs don't get it together.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pistons are the only team who can take the pacers out...heat? NO

Typical Media Hype , over valuing the " Shaq Factor" They gave up alot of talent to get Shaq , but will Shaq be enough

I don't think so

sweabs

What happens when Shaq is injured?
    When Shaq is in foul trouble?
    When Shaq is suspended/ejected?
    When Shaq needs a rest?

When he isn't on the floor, the Heat don't scare me one bit...but when he is...

Against Shaq, I like a lineup of Croshere and Jermaine. Cro guards Shaq on O, and Shaq guards Jermaine on D. We can protect Jermaine while forcing Shaq to guard him.

Wade, though, who knows.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

We've got Eddie Gill for Wade, Anthem. Don't you know anything?

Miami also added Doleac and Wesley Person two veteran shooters who perfectly compliment Shaq's game when he passes out of double teams. Their rookie Dorell Wright was impressive in the summer leagues and Wade may blossom into a star. Also Van Gundy was impressive as a coach last season and he will probably feed it into Shaq damn near every possession.

IMO they will go only as far as Wade can take them. Shaq is the known quantity, you know he is going to dominate but if Wade struggles like he did in Greece(I don't think he made an outside shot the entire tournament) than Miami will probably get bounced early in the playoffs. If he continues to improve and plays at the level he did last year in the playoffs or better than Miami is going to be a legit contender.

Edit- I also think Shaq will help them land a veteran power forward for a minimum contract. (Maybe Karl Malone)
    [edit=73=1094448869][/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Against Shaq, I like a lineup of Croshere and Jermaine. Cro guards Shaq on O, and Shaq guards Jermaine on D. We can protect Jermaine while forcing Shaq to guard him.

Wade, though, who knows.
    Croshere.....guarding SHAQ?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

RA231

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat

Wade, though, who knows.

Yea i dont see that

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat

Wade, though, who knows.

Well, truth be toldy you could put that after anybody on our team guarding Shaq.

However, Austin does guard Shaq better than Foster. Which, of couse, isn't saying much.

We're screwed if Shaq comes to take a title home to Miami with him. Any chance we could get you to loan us Ben on nights when we have to play the Heat?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sorry, that was my point. No, there's very few people that can guard Shaq. Carlisle will deal with him the same way he did when they played in the Finals.

Croshere can't guard Shaq very well, but he can do it better than anyone else on the team. We've seen this before... playing against Shaq was actually his initiation at center (the game Zeke benched JO and Al for being late to practice). If Croshere gets a foul, so what? It's not a big deal. And Shaq's not going to guard Croshere out on the perimeter... JVG will keep him in the paint, guarding Jermaine.

Every foul on Shaq is a major, major victory for Indiana. Miami has no bench, especially up front. If Shaq is sitting, they're a worse team than the one we beat this year. If Shaq spends all of his time guarding Jermaine, and if Jermaine doesn't have to guard Shaq, there'll be a big difference in the foul numbers.

The easiest way for this team to beat Shaq's team is with Shaq on the bench in foul trouble.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sorry, that was my point. No, there's very few people that can guard Shaq. Carlisle will deal with him the same way he did when they played in the Finals.

Croshere can't guard Shaq very well, but he can do it better than anyone else on the team. We've seen this before... playing against Shaq was actually his initiation at center (the game Zeke benched JO and Al for being late to practice). If Croshere gets a foul, so what? It's not a big deal. And Shaq's not going to guard Croshere out on the perimeter... JVG will keep him in the paint, guarding Jermaine.

Every foul on Shaq is a major, major victory for Indiana. Miami has no bench, especially up front. If Shaq is sitting, they're a worse team than the one we beat this year. If Shaq spends all of his time guarding Jermaine, and if Jermaine doesn't have to guard Shaq, there'll be a big difference in the foul numbers.

The easiest way for this team to beat Shaq's team is with Shaq on the bench in foul trouble.

Two points:

1) Shaq never, EVER fouls the man he's guarding. The only time he gets into trouble is when he has to deal with slashing guards. He's going to let JO have that open 15-footer all night. But at %42, he's not going to hit enough to make him jump out at him.

2) One foul on Croshere wont be much, sure. But what will you do after Croshere has racked up his 4th foul five minutes into the game?
    [edit=64=1094458622][/edit]

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

(Man, I am having some refresh issues tonight. My post re-covers some of what Kstat points out so sorry for what repeats)

Not to say that your strategy won't work but some counter-points might be:

1) Cro at the perimeter only worked one game against Detroit.

2) JO doesn't draw a lot of fouls in the first place so Shaq guarding him doesn't necessarily translate into foul trouble for Shaq.

3) If your 2nd big man is on the perimeter you lose the board battle (normaly).

4) Every foul Cro (or anyone) picks up guarding Shaq is a big deal from the standpoint of the penalty system. When the defense is in the penalty everyone who plays aggressive becomes an offensive threat. Wallace couldn't guard Shaq at all one on one, what he could do was get rebounds effectively and keep the team out of foul trouble while still providing at least token resistance to Shaq's setting up in the lane.
    [edit=390=1094460428][/edit]

I'd favor the Pacers over the Heat in a 7-game matchup because of the Heat lack of depth but honestly, Miami's a terrible matchup for the Pacers.

The two positions the Pacers are weakest at on defense are PG and C. We all know about Shaq. And every Pacer fan should remember how effective Wade was in the second rd last year.

If I'm a Pacers fan I very much hope Det gets them in the 2nd rd - they can handle Miami much easier.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

canyoufeelit

Hey, KStat, the games Shaq really is gonna have a chip on his shoulder for are when he's playing Detroit

How on earth is Ben Wallace gonna guard Shaq when Shaq proved he could get 30/20 with the most selfish guard in the NBA keeping the ball away from him?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Heat are certainly a threat, but not as much of one as Detroit. We can't stop Shaq or Wade, so we'll just have to lock everyone else down.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JOneal7
    What is it with everyone overrating the heat? They traded there depth for shaq! Yes shaq is the most dominant player in the NBA. But Remember that the pacers had so much trouble with the heat was because guys like Odom would be killing Foster or JO...Rafer alston isn't going to be there to hit those really big 3's this time around! They have shaq,wade, and who? JONES!? LMAO...An aging eddie jones is there third option! They are in big time trouble. They basically have no depth on there bench either. So anyone who thinks Indy won't make the eastern conf. finals has lost it. And as for that with a healthy group and tins and JO not on one leg. I think we can beat the pistons. A bounce here and a bounce there and we would have beaten them in the conf. finals! with our 2 key guys injured! now we add Sjax who can shoot the 3 and spread the floor and we are bound to get to the finals! The heat are overrated and won't take the pacers out and detroit won't get lucky twice. So who does that leave? NO? Knicks? Don't make me puke...
    Pacers in 04-05...
    it's certain!

oh yeah...and the wolves might make the finals...If the spurs don't get it together.
    I think that they hype up Shaq way too much.I mean all of us have seen the "Shaq in Blaq' ads Even at the VMA's they had to have that slogan it sickens me.

[edit=452=1094491739][/edit]
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    The two positions the Pacers are weakest at on defense are PG and C. We all know about Shaq. And every Pacer fan should remember how effective Wade was in the second rd last year.
    Help me here, Rim. Do you really think that the Pacers starting PG spot is weaker, defensively, than the starting SG spot? That's surprising to me. Or are you assuming that S.Jackson will be starting over Reggie?

Also, Dwayne did an awful lot of his damage last year when he slid over to the 2-guard and let Alston play the point.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Also, Kstat, it's not true that Shaq never fouls the man he's guarding. He doesn't foul Ben Wallace, sure, but he fouled Smits quite a bit in the 2000 Finals. Also, he tends to pick up fouls when he guards Tim Duncan. There's not a lot of great offensive big men out there.

I agree that JO's not going to get a lot of foul calls on that jumper. But I'm really hoping that after a summer off (first in a long time) he'll be back in the post more next year. He's said it's going to happen; I guess we'll just have to see. Jermaine's got a good post game that doesn't require him to overpower his man, plus he's a lot more mobile than Shaq (even a trimmed-down Shaq). It remains to be seen, of course, but I can imagine lots of situations where we could get it to work.

Enjoy your time at PD!

roleplayer

I think it's a little beyond obvious to say that Shaq doesn't help the team much in foul trouble, but it's always been that way. It's not like the Lakers or Magic ever had a ton of front court depth. I don't think you can just pass off the fact that he can be "the most dominant player in the NBA". Players like that win championships... I think the Pistons broke the mold because they were more of a team than a group led by a superstar, but over the last 25 years you really can't find any other exceptions. I think the Heat absolutely made the right move. Despite last year, I'd still say dominant players win championships over depth....