Thread: Tacoma student told no Steelers gear on Seahawks Appreciation Day

Default Tacoma student told no Steelers gear on Seahawks Appreciation Day

http://www.nwcn.com/news/Steelers-fa...113629409.html

Tacoma student told no Steelers gear on Seahawks Appreciation Day

by KING 5 News
    NWCN.com
    Posted on January 14, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Updated today at 7:25 PM

TACOMA, Wash. – A middle school student who is a Pittsburgh Steelers fan went home from school Friday after showing up in his favorite team's jersey on Seahawks Appreciation Day.

Administrators at Truman Middle School in Tacoma say Grendon Bailie, 13, violated the strict school dress code. Truman is a uniformed school. School district spokesperson Tracy Flores says students were told they could wear blue and green Friday. If not, they had to wear their uniforms.

"This is exactly what I wore today," said Grendon in his sweatshirt with the number 32 on it. He says he asked the vice principal the day before if he could wear Steelers gear and was told it was either Seahawks colors or the school uniform.

Grendon didn't think it was fair.

"All those Seahawks fans got to wear their stuff, so why can't I?," said Grendon.

Grendon's dad, Sto, told his son he'd back him up, whatever he decided to do. He even wrote Grendon a note for the principal.

"I'm walking by and he says 'I told you, you couldn't wear that.' And then he said 'you either have to change or you get in-school suspension' which is like sitting in a room all day. I just walked outside and called my dad to pick me up," said Grendon.

"I thought the note from dad would fix it," said Sto. "He told me 'stay by the phone,' so when he called, OK, here we go."

The school district says Grendon wasn't threatened with suspension and he was offered a change of clothes right on the spot.

When word of what happened reached Pittsburgh radio stations, the Bailie's phone began ringing off the hook.

"I thought it was a dumb rule we challenged it and OK, we lost," said Sto.

Grendon says he won't be watching the Seahawks on Sunday but you can bet he'll be watching his beloved Steelers against the Ravens Saturday.

The notoriety has its benefits. Grendon says former Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley plans to send him an autographed picture for supporting the Steelers Nation.

The Steelers defeated the Seahawks in Super Bowl XL after the 2005 season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tacoma student told no Steelers gear on Seahawks Appreciation Day

The school was stupid for telling him he couldn't wear the jersey.

OTOH, however, the kid was obviously trying to stir the pot.

Bottom line? I'm tired of these idiotic "stories" making the newswire all the time. Not the first time this has happened, and won't be the last.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why is it trying to stir the pot to wear a Steelers jersey in Seattle? I mean I know they lost the Super Bowl a few years back, but they aren't even playing this week.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is it trying to stir the pot to wear a Steelers jersey in Seattle? I mean I know they lost the Super Bowl a few years back, but they aren't even playing this week.
    I thought the same thing, until I noticed they're a school that wears uniforms. The kids were told to wear a Seahawks jersey, or you were required to wear your school uniform.

That's why I deleted my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    The kid asked the vice principal the day before, was told "no," and did it anyway. And even went so far as to have his dad wait for a phone call because he knew he would get bounced for it.

Some people just like to start ****.

woman without a team

I was going to say something like only a Steelers fan would do something like that, but I'd probably be accused of stirring the pot so I never said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    I was going to say something like only a Steelers fan would do something like that, but I'd probably be accused of stirring the pot so I never said anything.
    It would be infinitely funnier if it had been a Pats fan with a camera.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    It would be infinitely funnier if it had been a Pats fan with a camera.
    If I had access to a Pats jersey (and I had a kid) I'd do it.