Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

  1. #1

    Default Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    Let me get something out of the way before I get started; Mike Dunleavy is one of my favorite players. I am not critical of him at all. He's just not a good fit for Danny. I also want to say this; I may love Paul George, but I am not going to be biased when it comes to other players like others are with Hansbrough when Josh was starting.

    The main reason for my proposal is that Paul George can create for himself and others. Dunleavy and Rush don't have that ability. He needs a more solid role as he's been pretty good in pretty limited minutes. He's showing some crazy abilities, and his shot selection is better than Mike's. Rush's team defense isn't very good not to mention that he's kind of fallen off of a cliff since the beginning of the season when he was showing off his handles and driving ability.

    We also need transition buckets. Paul George and Tyler Hansbrough will get those. Paul George is also the future. Even though he's going to give us some headaches, he is going to be here while Mike most likely is not. In Rush's three years, he's defined his role (sixth man). George has potential and not only will he get better with more playing time, but he's also already better than our other options.
    We need better than solid. No JJ Redicks, Andray Blatche, Mike Dunleavy type guys to have big roles on our team.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to hoops_guy For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Come Home Lance! BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,018

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    I'm fine either way. I consider this the last year George is not a perennial starter.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    I'd still like for Brandon and Paul to share minutes.

    I really hope we're not going to see an inconsistent Brandon.

    He should start every game. He makes a better starter than backup.

    As for Paul, he should continue to get consistent rotation minutes and come off the bench.
    Last edited by Trophy; 01-14-2011 at 11:30 PM.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,460
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    I think the way this team is George is great off the bench. Coming in as a sub allows Paul to play against other teams backups, and also allows him to see the game before he jumps right in. Both of these factors could really benefit Paul.

  8. #5
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,460
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    Add to the fact Dunleavy is usually a great game starter, so starting Dun and bringing Paul off the Bench makes the most sense to me.

  9. #6
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,467

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    I don't really think he should start, but I want to see him log 20+ minutes for the rest of the season. He's learning fast and he is oozing with talent. We picked him in the top 10, let's play the kid.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,593
    Mood

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    I think that Brandon should start and give him about half of the game timewise, then let Paul and Mike get minutes on how they are playing.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:


  13. #8

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    Even split at the SG and PF between Rush/George and Tyler/Josh, lion's share of the minutes at the other 3 positions to DC/Granger/Hibbert with Price/Dunleavy/Foster getting the backup minutes. Let the other cards fall where they may.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smj887 For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,547

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the way this team is George is great off the bench. Coming in as a sub allows Paul to play against other teams backups, and also allows him to see the game before he jumps right in. Both of these factors could really benefit Paul.
    I agree with this, in most cases it isn't the best idea to throw a rookie straight into the starting line-up. It is typically munch better to start them off against back-ups, then move them up once they have proven themselves over a month or two. A few games is too soon to start thinking otherwise.

  16. #10
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    Quote Originally Posted by hoops_guy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The main reason for my proposal is that Paul George can create for himself and others.
    When has George shown the ability to do either of these things?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  17. #11
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,460
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When has George shown the ability to do either of these things?
    You see that move he made against Chicago tonight?

  18. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When has George shown the ability to do either of these things?
    You must not watch him too much. Thats what he is best at that and shooting

  19. #13
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves thinking George is ready to create shots for himself or others yet. He's averaging less than 1 assist per game.

    Will he be capable of it at some point? I'm pretty sure yes, but now? Don't see it. If he starts it's for his ability to shoot and play defense.

  20. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves thinking George is ready to create shots for himself or others yet. He's averaging less than 1 assist per game.

    Will he be capable of it at some point? I'm pretty sure yes, but now? Don't see it. If he starts it's for his ability to shoot and play defense.
    assits arent what it is about it is about it is about breaking down the defense. DC only ave's 5 which isnt good for a pg. But he is amazing at breaking down his man and creating for others which leads to open shots . I agree he might not have enoght NBA PT to read nba defenses right now but that will come. But I fell there is no reason why he cant get to the rim more than he does right now he is very good at it. He just needs to drive more in my option.

  21. #15
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You see that move he made against Chicago tonight?
    Didn't watch tonight's game yet, I've got it DVR'd. When does he make the move?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  22. #16
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    George is raw as heck and often makes mistakes, but like Shawne Williams before him he also shows flashes of brilliant wing play both in driving to the rim and an outside touch. Unlike Shawne he's also on his way to developing into a strong defender.



    I assume joew means the great fake and baseline drive where he didn't get the dunk to go but drew a foul (IIRC). Those are the types of moves I mean, that's where it's clear that he can play well at the NBA level, he just needs to refine his bag of tricks, add or adjust some moves for different situations, and just develop the general feel for game flow.

    I have no problem with him starting, even over Rush (which is what the choice should be, not Dun) but solid minutes off the bench makes the most sense for normal development.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  24. #17

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    George is raw as heck and often makes mistakes, but like Shawne Williams before him he also shows flashes of brilliant wing play both in driving to the rim and an outside touch. Unlike Shawne he's also on his way to developing into a strong defender.



    I assume joew means the great fake and baseline drive where he didn't get the dunk to go but drew a foul (IIRC). Those are the types of moves I mean, that's where it's clear that he can play well at the NBA level, he just needs to refine his bag of tricks, add or adjust some moves for different situations, and just develop the general feel for game flow.

    I have no problem with him starting, even over Rush (which is what the choice should be, not Dun) but solid minutes off the bench makes the most sense for normal development.
    And he seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders and a good work ethic..which makes it far more likely that he reaches his potential.

  25. #18
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I assume joew means the great fake and baseline drive where he didn't get the dunk to go but drew a foul (IIRC).
    I believe there was a move at the top of the key. To put it in perspective I believe it was on Ashton Kutcher (Kyle Korver) at the end of the 2nd qtr. I missed it as I turned my head to say something to the g/f, but in the game thread everyone pooped themselves.

    And if I recall correctly he didn't get a foul on that dunk attempt, we got an offensive rebound.

  26. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe there was a move at the top of the key. To put it in perspective I believe it was on Ashton Kutcher (Kyle Korver) at the end of the 2nd qtr. I missed it as I turned my head to say something to the g/f, but in the game thread everyone pooped themselves.

    And if I recall correctly he didn't get a foul on that dunk attempt, we got an offensive rebound.
    He did that move a couple times and missed a few good looks. Thats what pisses me off about Paul he did the same thing in collge. He has a guy like Korver on him and he breaks him down off the dribble then pulls up for a mid-range shot. I wish he would just take it strong to the hoop a lot more often. Instead of settling for so many jumpers.

  27. #20
    Member odeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    I am certainly for him getting more time on the floor! He is going to make mistakes that is for sure. But that is how he will get better. We need a trade to shake things up on the wing. He could get more time then. If will one of them for a another post player.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

  28. #21
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,460
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't watch tonight's game yet, I've got it DVR'd. When does he make the move?
    Second half. Drives on the defender towards the middle and pulls up. Beautiful move.

  29. #22
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He did that move a couple times and missed a few good looks. Thats what pisses me off about Paul he did the same thing in collge. He has a guy like Korver on him and he breaks him down off the dribble then pulls up for a mid-range shot. I wish he would just take it strong to the hoop a lot more often. Instead of settling for so many jumpers.
    You pretty much just described Danny Granger's "playmaking".
    Grown Man Ball

  30. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You pretty much just described Danny Granger's "playmaking".
    But Danny can't dribble and Paul can. I just want a coach that preaches attack the rack every chance you get. Paul will get it and understand he is very hard to stop attck the but i hope that is sooner rather than later.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  32. #24
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,929
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    I disagree that Rush has fallen off a cliff - he's been consistently more aggressive (shoots more) and is driving to the basket more this season. I don't have time to look up the stats though - perhaps someone else can pull 'em. I also think Rush's team defense is just fine - certainly better than last year by a fair amount, so I am puzzled by the comment that his team D is not very good.

    Anyway, I think Rush and George have some chemistry together so I might prefer that PG be Danny's primary backup or that he be Brandon's primary backup (moving Dun down in the rotation - like that is going to happen). I don't think George is ready to start yet but will likely be our SG starter one day.

    More than anything what we need is for Danny and Hibbert to start hitting their damn shots. SG is not where our problem is right now, whether it's Brandon, Mike, or Paul we're talking about.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    "Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

  33. #25

    Default Re: Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.

    jmo, but paul should not start. keep him in the swing rotation. when he plays well, give him minutes. when he plays poorly, less minutes. he still seems to be more talent than skill.

Similar Threads

  1. Concerns about Paul George
    By Pacergeek in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 11-22-2010, 10:19 PM
  2. Paul George Interview
    By silverbax in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2010, 09:33 AM
  3. Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul
    By Skaut_Ech in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: 07-24-2010, 12:31 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 03:02 PM
  5. More funny stuff from Paul Shirley
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •