Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

  1. #1
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    What about some sort of "I pledge..." campaign? It sounds cheesy and over the top, but if a ton of people were to pledge to show more support, by going to games, or whatever it is, then maybe that would finally get through to management.


    I have just reached the point of having enough and am willing to try anything.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,945

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    If they're already finding ways to avoid hearing the boo's for O'Brien, then a pledge probably won't work either. At this point it seems like someone would have to raise the money to pay another coach's salary for the remainder of the year (although moving someone like an assistant that is already on the payroll makes more sense).

  4. #3
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they're already finding ways to avoid hearing the boo's for O'Brien, then a pledge probably won't work either. At this point it seems like someone would have to raise the money to pay another coach's salary for the remainder of the year (although moving someone like an assistant that is already on the payroll makes more sense).
    You know whos booing the coach at the games? People who paid for tickets.

    If a bunch of people who aren't paying for tickets or supporting their team were to pledge something, I'm fairly certain it would get the ownerships ears. It would have to get to him as a buisnessman.

  5. #4
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,491

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    It's not going to do any good. He isn't going anywhere this season, no matter how big of a fit we throw. TPTB know the fans don't like him, and likely know he isn't working out. I'd be shocked if he came back after that.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,669

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Yeah, don't waste your energy. We could be lose the rest of the year and O'Brien wouldn't be fired.

    The only way he's back this fall is if we make some miraculous playoff run.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  8. #6
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,514

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, don't waste your energy. We could be lose the rest of the year and O'Brien wouldn't be fired.

    The only way he's back this fall is if we make some miraculous playoff run.
    I don't know if it's the only way he'll be back but in the East it's possible we could make the playoffs and still be playing bad basketball. ...And his MO could certainly have us sniffing a playoff spot at the end of the year when a winning record probably won't be necessary to make the playoffs (and plenty of other teams will be tanking, looking forward to the summer, readying for the playoffs, or taking the Pacers lightly).

    I just don't think it's a forgone conclusion that he's gone after the season.

    That's one thing a mid season firing would do- Show the fans he's not going to be here next season.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  10. #7

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Quote Originally Posted by greenway84 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im understanding in that he won't be fired. Just not how Indiana does things. (however this is an at will employment state...haha)

    With that said my biggest concern isn't getting him fired this year, but making sure he isn't back next year.


    Pretty much even though its a completely pipe dream to have O'Brien and Caldwell fired.

    Of course whether that's a sign of improvement depends on who their replacements would be.

  11. #8
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about some sort of "I pledge..." campaign? It sounds cheesy and over the top, but if a ton of people were to pledge to show more support, by going to games, or whatever it is, then maybe that would finally get through to management.


    I have just reached the point of having enough and am willing to try anything.
    I've already said to two different ticket reps before the season that I'm A) not renewing because of JOB and B) want to be called 5 minutes before they announce his departure so I can drive over and hand them a check for tickets as he walks out the door.

    He goes, they 100% get a lot more money from me. Not hyperbole or BS, and ASAP.


    I don't even care if the next coach works out, I just want them to try something else.

  12. #9
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Quote Originally Posted by greenway84 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just not how Indiana does things.
    It used to be. The Pacers used to switch midstream when things weren't going well.

    As I've pointed out in many threads, JOB is the longest tenured unsuccessful coach the team has had. No other guys last 3 years this far under .500, let alone 4.

    What did Bob Hill do that warranted replacing him more, or Versace?


    It's clear to me that ownership and/or Bird have set the bar of expectations extra low, like 34 wins every year for 4 years. I guess I disagree with that because as bad as things were, plenty of teams have escaped that level of output with modest moves and solid coaching. Not title level, but certainly .500 ball.

  13. #10
    Member JonnyB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Franklin, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    191

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they're already finding ways to avoid hearing the boo's for O'Brien, then a pledge probably won't work either. At this point it seems like someone would have to raise the money to pay another coach's salary for the remainder of the year (although moving someone like an assistant that is already on the payroll makes more sense).
    I got 5 on it
    Doing the twitter thing JonnyB83
    Also JonnyB83 on facebook....we should be friends!

  14. #11
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,514

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's clear to me that ownership and/or Bird have set the bar of expectations extra low, like 34 wins every year for 4 years.
    And that isn't 34 wins trying to develop young players and build for the future either. Those numbers were achieved playing to win and to make the playoffs...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Here's what I see happening if a "Fans' Pledge" really happened.

    PS&E lurker: Hey Larry, the fans are pledging to come to games and be more supportive if JOB gets fired.

    Larry: Pledge? You mean like how we pledged to play better?

  17. #13
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    I pledge to see the Pacers as often as possible because I love my Pacers.

    How's that?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:


  19. #14
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,218
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    If the coach is fired this season I would have to fly from Louisiana to come sit in the stands. And I'm so broke right now but I would find a way to make it there.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

    Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

  20. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And that isn't 34 wins trying to develop young players and build for the future either. Those numbers were achieved playing to win and to make the playoffs...
    Every time I see this it makes me laugh

  21. #16
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,828

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's what I see happening if a "Fans' Pledge" really happened.

    PS&E lurker: Hey Larry, the fans are pledging to come to games and be more supportive if JOB gets fired.

    Larry: Pledge? You mean like how we pledged to play better?
    my guess is it would probably be more like

    Larry: Pledge, from the people who ran every coach they ever had out of town, Or is it the people who said they would come back once the "thugs" were gone. Do you believe some of those idiots are calling for Bill to fire Caldwell? If you want to make it in this business the first thing you need to learn is to ignore the noise, the truth is fans like winning the rest is BS.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 01-15-2011 at 10:25 PM.

  22. #17

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Yet... we keep losing... go figure

  23. #18
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,828

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yet... we keep losing... go figure
    I am patient not satisfied.I actually appreciate things such as financial position and am realistic in my expectations for this season. What happens before the trade deadline and in the offseason is far more important to me than Jim Obriens expiring contract.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 01-15-2011 at 10:34 PM.

  24. #19
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,171

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Wait till next year

  25. #20
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,824

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    It is clear that Jim O'Brien has no fan support. A fan pledge will do nothing to foster a decision regarding his release. It is clear that the Pacer's brass are steering the ship in the direction they see fit - with or without fan approval.

    Larry Bird is a basketball man not a business man. Bird will do what he believes is best for basketball before business.

  26. #21
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    I seriously doubt he will be back next season.

    Bird knows this guy is running the team into the ground.

  27. #22
    Member mcampbellarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    olympia, wa
    Posts
    169

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the coach is fired this season I would have to fly from Louisiana to come sit in the stands. And I'm so broke right now but I would find a way to make it there.

    If the coach is fired I will make a donation towards your efforts.

  28. #23
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,554

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    If the Pacers fire Jim O'Brien, I pledge to buy tickets to at least two games next season (the finances are finally coming to a point where I can even consider it). And not at the Black Friday el cheapo price either....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  29. #24
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    If the coach is fired I pledge to never underestimate the power a coach has on a team again.

  30. #25

    Default Re: For those who REALLY want O'Brien gone...

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    my guess is it would probably be more like

    Larry: Pledge, from the people who ran every coach they ever had out of town, Or is it the people who said they would come back once the "thugs" were gone. Do you believe some of those idiots are calling for Bill to fire Caldwell? If you want to make it in this business the first thing you need to learn is to ignore the noise, the truth is fans like winning the rest is BS.
    Please some of us never thought he should've been hired I definately hated it. They should've actually hired someone outside the organization or kept Leslie Frazier but of course Polian wants someone that is a yes man so that's not going to happen.

    Wouldn't surprise me if on some level that's the way with Larry Bird although surprisingly he doesn't seem nearly as much of an a-hole as Polian.

    Of course Bird's expectations are exceedingly low I think he wants the team to have mediocrity before considering being elite.

    I agree if you win that's all that matters however when you lose games you should win it does become a problem.

    There are a lot of games the Pacers looked like they had but blew it at the end(the Spurs game the other day is an example).

    If they would get rid of O'Brien let it be at the end of the season there should be someone in place to at least elevate this team into something like a 7th seed.

Similar Threads

  1. Post-O'Brien criticisms re: Celtics/76ers
    By imawhat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 12-30-2010, 05:22 PM
  2. Andy Richter reuniting with Conan O'Brien for Tonight Show!
    By Hicks in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 10:31 PM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 02-05-2008, 08:25 PM
  4. O'Brien details clashes with Webber (SI.com)
    By avoidingtheclowns in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 08:47 PM
  5. Jim O'Brien interview from WTHR.com
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 09:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •