Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sources: N.Y. dealing Anthony Randolph for a pick/ possible pacers

Mood

Default Re: Sources: N.Y. dealing Anthony Randolph for a pick/ possible pacers

It would be nice if we could package our 1st with another player to get us a real starting PF.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the first few games, we'd probably let him come off the bench and let him adjust to playing rotation minutes again and the other players on this team.

The PF rotation of Randolph and Tyler would be pretty good.
    He hasn't played more than ten minutes in a game since November 14th. He hasn't been playing at all recently (ankle injury), but even before getting hurt he was only getting token minutes. I take it you are aware of that and you are referring to the rotation minutes he got last season in GS - but he only played in 33 games. Now if I were Larry I'd want to make damn sure before pulling this particular trigger, because Randolph was practically always in Nellie's doghouse and D'Antoni won't play him. What gives?

Not a good shooter yet in his young career, but he can put it on the deck and get to the line - and he's a grade-A FT shooter. Can rebound - unusual combination of skills and size.

:
    :

"Defense doesn't break down on the help, it breaks down on the recovery." - Chuck Daly

"The first shot does not beat you." - Chuck Daly

"To play defense and not foul is an art that must be mastered if you are going to be successful." - Chuck Daly

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I was under the impression you couldn't be out of the 1st round of draft 2 years in a row. As along as you had a 1st pick it didn't matter who's pick it was. I guess I'll have to update my info on this.
    You are correct.

Teams are required to have only a first round pick, and not necessarily their first round pick. So teams may trade away their own future picks in consecutive years if they have another team's first round pick in one of those years.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q74

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Her has the catch.....Randolph has shown SOME flashes of brilliance......but he has also shown an inability to play consistent minutes under 2 Coaches that run high-scoring offenses that favors athletic players. IMHO.....Randolph is likely more polished then any Player that we can draft ( unless Bird drafts another Senior ) but there is something "missing" in Randolph's game that can only explain why he was jettisoned from GSW and about to be booted from the Knicks. IMHO opinion, from what i have read, it's the lack of IQ and a false sense of entitlement that is worrisome for me. For the Pacers and the growing liklihood that we will miss the Playoffs again, I'd rather use our assets to try and acquire a Starting SG or PF rather then take on Randolph.
    ITs not a either or situation to me like you are making it out to be. Whats our first worth this year? What was our first worth last year? We couldn't package a deal last year to land us a starting player so why am I to think we can do it this year? Our players aren't better and we had expirings last year.

If a team was stupid enough to give us a high quality starter which is what I think you want for a expirings and our first then sign me up. I just don't think there is a deal like that out there.

Again a low basketball IQ and a sense of entitlement at age 21 isn't surprising to me. Its almost expected given his age.

Not at all, he is still just a kid who hasnt harnessed his own abilities, people say he lives like a superstar and hasnt even done anything, and has attitude problems, not to mention he will quit on you. We dont need Eddy Curry light, but you never know if these are just rumors.
    "Did we learn anything?"-Jonathan Ames

"No, but thats okay, It's a good thing to stay in the dark about things - it keeps life more interesting."- George Christopher

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    You are correct.

Teams are required to have only a first round pick, and not necessarily their first round pick. So teams may trade away their own future picks in consecutive years if they have another team's first round pick in one of those years.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q74

I wonder when it was changed, or if I'm just misremembering. Granted the game was a decade ago, but I was pretty certain I was remembering it correctly. Hmph.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mwa-ha-ha-ha!

We need a, "mean hombre" in the paint as stated by Jim O'Brien, and Anthony Randolph is neither "mean" nor "hombre". That is to say, at this point in his career, it has not been established whether Randolph belongs in the NBA or WNBA. On a more serious note, playing Randolph next to Hibbert seems like a disaster...

Mood

Beef in the paint would be nice. I'd settle for a big man who can do an effortless standing dunk underneath the rim, though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I wonder when it was changed, or if I'm just misremembering. Granted the game was a decade ago, but I was pretty certain I was remembering it correctly. Hmph.

The rule came into effect when, I believe it was Ted Stipen(sp?), traded that teams 1sts away for years.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Not to Indiana... at least it doesn't seem so.

Read more from the New York Post http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...kUc6SQP0uOEWvI

Walsh received a trade request last night from the agent for Anthony

Randolph, who has been out of the rotation since mid-November.

Walsh met with Randolph's representative, Bill Duffy, one hour before tip-off of the Knicks' 93-83 loss to the Kings. Duffy asked Walsh about the possibility of dealing Randolph, who was taken out of the rotation in mid-November, resulting in the Knicks going on a 13-1 spree.

The Post reported Thursday that Walsh was waffling on whether to trade Randolph to Minnesota for a first-round pick that could be used in an Anthony deal, but the Nets are the ones closest to landing him.

Walsh still could use an extra first-rounder in another deal before the Feb. 24 trade deadline.

"I won't comment on a private conversation," Walsh said.

"The truth is we had a very constructive meeting with Donnie regarding Anthony," Duffy wrote in a text message. "Donnie said he would have an open mind and would only do what would be mutually beneficial. I agreed that was fair, but emphasized the sooner the better. He would not get specific but said we should circle back very soon."

"I know nothing about that," Randolph said.

A league source said Walsh has not acted in the past 24 hours as if he has any shot at Anthony, even though he met with Anthony's agent, Leon Rose, at halftime last night. In an interview with ESPN, Anthony said his "ultimate dream" was to play in New York, but did not specify the Knicks and for the first time mentioned the possibility of opening the new Brooklyn arena for the Nets.

Rose also is the agent of disgruntled Knicks center Eddy Curry, who hasn't dressed this season. Rose and Curry met after the game.

An ESPN.com report last night said Randolph would be dealt in the next two weeks for a first-round pick, with the Wolves, Pacers and Blazers mentioned as possibilities. The 21-year-old Randolph, obtained in the David Lee sign-and-trade from the Warriors, played in 14 game, but only has appeared in garbage time since mid-November.

Rose, who lives in Camden, N.J., said he popped in to see some of his clients, including the Kings' Jason Thompson and Omri Casspi, as well as Curry, who told The Post last week he wanted to speak with his agent to find out more about his status.

Rose said, "I'm here to watch the game. With all due respect, if there's something to say, I'll say it."

Anthony finally acknowledged the Nets as a potential destination, which does not bode well for the Knicks' longshot bid. The Knicks' best chance at Anthony would be if he spurns an extension with the Nets.

"I see what the future holds, they'll move to Brooklyn," Anthony said of the Nets. "Me going back home to Brooklyn, opening that arena, I think about all that stuff."

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    ITs not a either or situation to me like you are making it out to be. Whats our first worth this year? What was our first worth last year? We couldn't package a deal last year to land us a starting player so why am I to think we can do it this year? Our players aren't better and we had expirings last year.

If a team was stupid enough to give us a high quality starter which is what I think you want for a expirings and our first then sign me up. I just don't think there is a deal like that out there.

Again a low basketball IQ and a sense of entitlement at age 21 isn't surprising to me. Its almost expected given his age.
    I forgot what Expiring Contracts that we had last season. Which Players were Expiring and how much did we have in Expiring Contracts?

Did we really have any Expiring Contracts that could have realistically gotten anything of value?

Also...I can understand a sense of entitlement at the age of 21 IF they just entered the NBA....but a sense of entitlement after entering their 3rd year to me isn't a good thing....it's a sign of immaturity. But ignoring that part...even if it's just a matter of growing out of it given time and experience....a low basketball IQ is something that I'd be concerned about and something that I think that Bird values.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I forgot what Expiring Contracts that we had last season. Which Players were Expiring and how much did we have in Expiring Contracts?

Did we really have any Expiring Contracts that could have realistically gotten anything of value?

Also...I can understand a sense of entitlement at the age of 21 IF they just entered the NBA....but a sense of entitlement after entering their 3rd year to me isn't a good thing....it's a sign of immaturity. But ignoring that part...even if it's just a matter of growing out of it given time and experience....a low basketball IQ is something that I'd be concerned about and something that I think that Bird values.
    What I am referring to is when Bird tried to package players along with our first to get a deal done for a quality starter. This would have been after last years expirings were gone and around draft day.

We couldn't get a deal done then even with a higher pick so I am not so sure we could package a 14th-17th pick this year with an expiring to land us a quality starting pf or sg. If we can i would gladly forge Birds signature to a deal like that.

Anthony Randolph is one year older than Paul George and I don't consider him to have a good basketball IQ yet. Sure Bird values a high basketball IQ but thats not the only thing he values and one thing is for sure Bird has been taking more players with above average athleticism with below average basketball IQ. Players like PG, Lance, even McRoberts and Solo were considered to have low basketball IQ's. To me there are players that will grow to have a higher basketball IQ's and then there are players that will never have a high basketball IQ even with a unlimited amount of minutes. Its hard for me to think that anyone could judge Randolphs potential to have a high basketball IQ at 21 but thats just me.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 01-16-2011 at 09:45 PM.

What I am referring to is when Bird tried to package players along with our first to get a deal done for a quality starter. This would have been after last years expirings were gone and around draft day.

We couldn't get a deal done then even with a higher pick so I am not so sure we could package a 14th-17th pick this year with an expiring to land us a quality starting pf or sg. If we can i would gladly forge Birds signature to a deal like that.
    In all fairness though, those expiring contracts over the summer weren't really worth anything due to so many question marks. Ford had been stuck to the end of the bench all last season and it was clear the Pacers wanted to move him. Foster was coming off of back surgery and missing the majority of the season, and Dunleavy had a lack luster season returning from injury.

The only productive and healthy expiring contract was Troy Murphy, and well... he netted us Collison w/o having to trade our draft pick, so it's all about want and need when it comes to other teams around the league.

I'm sure Jeff Foster will have a lot of value to teams and it will come down to what the Pacers are offered, and if they even want to move Foster.

Dunleavy is healthier. He hasn't returned to the form we all had hope, but he could help a team as a shooter, a team that can hide his defensive liabilities.

Ford has played decent at times, and he's actually been getting minutes all year as backup, so he may have some interest as well from a team that would like security at PG.

I wouldn't add or trade a pick unless it's someone you really feel will make this team better in the long run.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

I HATE trading away draft picks. HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE IT!
    That said, is this draft shaping up to have a player better than Anthony Randolph at where we would be picking? This doesn't seem to be all that deep of a draft. I'd like to take a chance on Randolph, on the off chance that all these players start to 'get it' about the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    I HATE trading away draft picks. HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE IT!
    That said, is this draft shaping up to have a player better than Anthony Randolph at where we would be picking? This doesn't seem to be all that deep of a draft. I'd like to take a chance on Randolph, on the off chance that all these players start to 'get it' about the same time!
    The Post reported Thursday that Walsh was waffling on whether to trade Randolph to Minnesota for a first-round pick that could be used in an Anthony deal, but the Nets are the ones closest to landing him.
    We're not trading anyone or anything.

Anthony Randolph is one year older than Paul George and I don't consider him to have a good basketball IQ yet. Sure Bird values a high basketball IQ but thats not the only thing he values and one thing is for sure Bird has been taking more players with above average athleticism with below average basketball IQ. Players like PG, Lance, even McRoberts and Solo were considered to have low basketball IQ's. To me there are players that will grow to have a higher basketball IQ's and then there are players that will never have a high basketball IQ even with a unlimited amount of minutes. Its hard for me to think that anyone could judge Randolphs potential to have a high basketball IQ at 21 but thats just me.

When Ike Diogu was a Pacer he was labeled as having a low BB IQ. Ike wouldn't or couldn't pass out of double teams. He was a blackhole with the basketball. I've been keeping tabs on Ike since his return to the NBA with the Clippers, and he averages ZERO ZILCH NADA assists per game. Not even a fraction of a assist per game! He is averaging 6 pts and 4 rebs. Maybe he still can't pass out of a double team. If Jimmy is smart, he'll have the Pacers doubling Ike everytime he gets the ball trying to create a turnover. Ike scorching the Pacers tommorow night should never be something that happens. If it does, I will change my stance about not advocating Jimmy to be fired.

Personally, I'm one who is glad to see Ike back in the NBA playing, and hope he succeeds for years to come.

Has anyone else noticed that the Clippers have 3 undersized players who have played PF in in their careers? Ike, Craig Smith, and Ryan Gomes. When Ike was a Pacer, he was at times compared to Smith and Leon Powe as all were about the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    When Ike Diogu was a Pacer he was labeled as having a low BB IQ. Ike wouldn't or couldn't pass out of double teams. He was a blackhole with the basketball. I've been keeping tabs on Ike since his return to the NBA with the Clippers, and he averages ZERO ZILCH NADA assists per game. Not even a fraction of a assist per game! He is averaging 6 pts and 4 rebs. Maybe he still can't pass out of a double team. If Jimmy is smart, he'll have the Pacers doubling Ike everytime he gets the ball trying to create a turnover. Ike scorching the Pacers tommorow night should never be something that happens. If it does, I will change my stance about not advocating Jimmy to be fired.

Personally, I'm one who is glad to see Ike back in the NBA playing, and hope he succeeds for years to come.

Has anyone else noticed that the Clippers have 3 undersized players who have played PF in in their careers? Ike, Craig Smith, and Ryan Gomes. When Ike was a Pacer, he was at times compared to Smith and Leon Powe as all were about the same size.
    Its funny to me that you mention Ike because I was very close to using him as an example of a guy who IMO will never achieve a high basketball IQ. He is a classic example of a guy who could put up impressive college stats but he doesn't translate well to the NBA. Being short and strong but not very athletic or smart is problematic. At 27 I think Ike has shown us what he is.

Contrast that with Randolph and he is the complete opposite of the type of pf we have now. Only Josh comes close but even he doesn't have the athleticism that Randolph has. I am not so high on Randolph that I would deny a good trade for a better player but right now I don't see one magically appearing. Maybe when we get closer to the trade deadline we will get more offers but I doubt it.

Sports Logo

Its funny to me that you mention Ike because I was very close to using him as an example of a guy who IMO will never achieve a high basketball IQ. He is a classic example of a guy who could put up impressive college stats but he doesn't translate well to the NBA. Being short and strong but not very athletic or smart is problematic. At 27 I think Ike has shown us what he is.

Contrast that with Randolph and he is the complete opposite of the type of pf we have now. Only Josh comes close but even he doesn't have the athleticism that Randolph has. I am not so high on Randolph that I would deny a good trade for a better player but right now I don't see one magically appearing. Maybe when we get closer to the trade deadline we will get more offers but I doubt it.
    I know that I am in the minority....but my hope is that we'd see what happens with this Melo-Drama ( I should coin that phrase ) cuz I think that it is holding up the rest of the league on deciding to make any other major trades.

Keep in mind that although the PF spot is a cause for major concern for improvement....another Starting spot that I think COULD have some room for improvement would be the Starting SG spot. I'm thinking that Starting Quality SGs like Kevin Martin and Iggy ( yes, it's a longshot ) could be had ( depending on what direction their Teams are headed towards ). Also.....you never know what the Nuggets are going to do with Nene.

We can agree to disagree that Randolph would be worth the pick......but we can agree that the 1st round pick could be used to improve the Team with a more experienced Player....it's just a matter of how we use it.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I guess when considering Randolph, I ask myself one question. Even without getting rid of a player, will inserting Randolph onto our roster make us a better team?

There is no doubt that he has some rebounding ability. Last year he averaged one rebound for each 3 or 4 minutes played. He is not bad offensively near the basket and can shoot a little. He did block a few shots, although I don't think he has a reputation for being a great defensive player.

Does he add anything over and above what we presently have? My conclusion is that if he does, it is marginal. I don't think that he adds more; I think that he adds something a little different.

He would probably be stronger near the basket than Hansbrough, for example. But Hansbrough is much, much better 15 feet from the basket. He might get an extra rebound or two than Hansbrough in 25 minutes of action, but due to Hansbrough's aggressiveness and ability to keep balls alive on the boards, I'm not certain that the team as a whole would gain more rebounds.

If we were considering parting with a first round draft choice (that probably has a 50-50 or greater chance of being a lottery pick) for Randolph, I just think we are setting our sights a little low for the value of the pick.

I think that if we are willing to part with a first round pick, we should be attempting to get a much better player in return. We certainly have young players and some expiring contracts to combine with the pick to attempt a better trade.

Acquiring Randolph provides a marginal improvement at best and in no way moves us closer to being a contender. Due to the loss of a first round pick, it could be argued that it actually delays us further from the goal of becoming a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post

My conclusion is that if he does, it is marginal. I don't think that he adds more; I think that he adds something a little different.

If we were considering parting with a first round draft choice (that probably has a 50-50 or greater chance of being a lottery pick) for Randolph, I just think we are setting our sights a little low for the value of the pick.

I think that if we are willing to part with a first round pick, we should be attempting to get a much better player in return. We certainly have young players and some expiring contracts to combine with the pick to attempt a better trade.

Nice conclusion. He'd bring more length and athleticism, but not the power in POWER FORWARD.

The Pacers right now have the 13th worse record which already puts them in the lottery with 3 teams breathing down their backs in the East alone.

I don't want Randolph, but I have no problem trading the 011 1st pick in a trade to up grade the team. Right now that upgrade could be at a # of positions.

Acquiring Randolph provides a marginal improvement at best and in no way moves us closer to being a contender. Due to the loss of a first round pick, it could be argued that it actually delays us further from the goal of becoming a contender.
    Hey if we can combine our first round pick with a expiring or a player we are willing to cut ties on then I say we do it. I just think Bird has been trying to do what you have suggested for awhile now and getting no where. I honestly believe if he could have traded Rush and our first for an upgrade at sg he would have done it. The same for the pf postion.

The problem that we have is that our assets that we are willing to give up are not going to make any GM look like he came out on top in a trade. No fans are going to be like, "Yeah for expirings and a draft pick.... I want to watch more games now".

If Randolf could be had for a 14th-17th pick then its a good trade. He does bring something different but its not redundant like Ford and Collsion. His strengths are our weaknesses as a team. Maybe that changes next year but right now we have no one who can block shots like him or get to the paint like him.

IMO the only reason Walsh would trade him is because of Melo and the only reason he was traded from GS is because Walsh is smart and wouldn't allow Lee to go for nothing. That sign and trade was brillant.

I thought this video shows his ability to protect the paint. By no means is he a finished product but he is better prosepect to me than anyone we could draft this year. The 1:12 mark is a good place to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CDef...eature=related

Hey if we can combine our first round pick with a expiring or a player we are willing to cut ties on then I say we do it. I just think Bird has been trying to do what you have suggested for awhile now and getting no where. I honestly believe if he could have traded Rush and our first for an upgrade at sg he would have done it. The same for the pf postion.
    I would agree with that... it's pretty obvious Bird has made attempts. I suppose I would rather wait until summer if necessary and trade either the pick, the player drafted or one of our youngsters if necessary to acquire a better player.

In the video, I was impressed with the shot-blocking that was shown. I was a little disappointed at several of the decisions in his passing that led to turnovers, whether they resulted in blocked shots or not. I suppose the talent that I was most impressed with was Randolph's ability to put the ball on the floor, whether in the open court or in drives to the basket.

But personally, I want a better, more experienced player.

I would agree with that... it's pretty obvious Bird has made attempts. I suppose I would rather wait until summer if necessary and trade either the pick, the player drafted or one of our youngsters if necessary to acquire a better player.

In the video, I was impressed with the shot-blocking that was shown. I was a little disappointed at several of the decisions in his passing that led to turnovers, whether they resulted in blocked shots or not. I suppose the talent that I was most impressed with was Randolph's ability to put the ball on the floor, whether in the open court or in drives to the basket.

But personally, I want a better, more experienced player.
    So out of that 8 minute video you were disappointed in the 2 plays where he turned it over and then blocked the fast break shot. Either you are a coach are the most hard core fan I have ever seen on a forum.

I think everyone wants a better player than a 21 year old with limited experience. The same could have been said of JO when he was with Portland.

Sports Logo

So out of that 8 minute video you were disappointed in the 2 plays where he turned it over and then blocked the fast break shot. Either you are a coach are the most hard core fan I have ever seen on a forum.

I think everyone wants a better player than a 21 year old with limited experience. The same could have been said of JO when he was with Portland.
    Let's be clear about Randolph's situation in the last 3 years. It wasn't like Randolph was stuck behind some Frontcourt Player that was JUSTIFIABLY better then him and therefore it made sense that Randolph didn't get any minutes. IMHO...this isn't like the situation that we have with PG where here is stuck behind Granger/BRush/Dunleavy and Posey in the SG/SF rotation.....Randolph did have the opportunity and minutes to prove himself in NY and ( to a certain degree ) with GSW....he just hasn't been able to capitalize on it for one reason or another.

Let's just say that IF we make a move for him and all it costs us is a 1st round pick....then I will fret about it a little then pray and hope that he's able to get to that next level.....I'm just saying that if he hasn't gotten there after his 3rd year...you really have to wonder what's up with him. BRush was like that where you could see steady but marked improvement in all facets of his game going into the 3rd year of his career.....but after his 3rd year in the NBA....Randolph still has the big "P" attached to his name where he could easily go no where or become something in the right situation.

As mentioned before...if he could not excel in 2 systems ( Nellie's and D'Antoni's offense ) that would appear to benefit an athletic and long Forward that was likely very quick and mobile....then what is missing here? That "one reason or another" is what concerns me and why I have weary.