Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone read books anymore?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Anyone read books anymore?

Maybe there is a thread deep in the doldrums of PD on books, but I'm far too lazy to search for it, so I decided to make a new thread.

Recently, I got an iPad which has revolutionized my book reading. I don't have to go out of my way to a bookstore anymore to buy a book if it sounds interesting. I just buy it in iTunes or on Amazon and plow through it on my iPad. Great stuff.

Anyways, I just got finished reading The War for Late Night by Bill Carter. It's about the war for late night with the whole Leno/Conan fiasco. Really a fascinating read, and this is coming from a person who rarely, if ever, watches late night TV. Anyone else read it or have an opinion on it?

Please, feel free to give me (and others) suggestions on books to read. I'm about to start up Devil in the White City, and I have 5 or 6 others I'll likely get to soon.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Anyone read books anymore?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dab For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe there is a thread deep in the doldrums of PD on books, but I'm far too lazy to search for it, so I decided to make a new thread.

Recently, I got an iPad which has revolutionized my book reading. I don't have to go out of my way to a bookstore anymore to buy a book if it sounds interesting. I just buy it in iTunes or on Amazon and plow through it on my iPad. Great stuff.

Anyways, I just got finished reading The War for Late Night by Bill Carter. It's about the war for late night with the whole Leno/Conan fiasco. Really a fascinating read, and this is coming from a person who rarely, if ever, watches late night TV. Anyone else read it or have an opinion on it?

Please, feel free to give me (and others) suggestions on books to read. I'm about to start up Devil in the White City, and I have 5 or 6 others I'll likely get to soon.
    I just finished reading War for Light Night a couple nights ago myself.

I consider myself a member of Team Coco, but by the time I finished the book, I tended to agree with those who said he should have just toughed it out and gone to 12:05. Jay won't be around forever, and I kind of get Seinfeld's take on it not being this sacred cow people make it out to be.

So far this week I've read Freedom by Franzen, Common as Air by Lewis Hyde, and Pragmatism by William James.

The Hyde book was easily my favorite of the three, but he has this way of reading Emerson--throughout the book he returns to ONE LINE from "self-reliance" and turns Emerson into a strawman for the silly "Great Men are Self-Made" position, when one of the main themes of the essay itself is drawing inspiration from the works of others--that is just completely infuriating, and as like a massive Emerson fanboy I just wanted to, I mean, UGH. Hyde's obviously a smart guy, so I just don't get the deliberately obtuse reading of Emerson.

Right now I'm reading The Fate of Africa: A history of fifty years of independence by Martin Meredith, which has been both really fun and humbling, because this is the type of thing I don't know much about, and I find myself struggling to keep up sometimes.
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 01-13-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I just finished reading War for Light Night a couple nights ago myself.

I consider myself a member of Team Coco, but by the time I finished the book, I tended to agree with those who said he should have just toughed it out and gone to 12:05. Jay won't be around forever, and I kind of get Seinfeld's take on it not being this sacred cow people make it out to be.
    I didn't really have a strong opinion either way beforehand. All the internet and viral stuff told me I should hate Leno, and I was familiar with the Letterman/Leno fiasco in the early 90s. I always have preferred Letterman to anyone else in late night, although this book didn't exactly make me love the guy.

I agree, I think that Conan should have just toughed it out on NBC. The Seinfeld thing in the epilogue was basically what I was thinking the entire time: So what? As a viewer, The Tonight Show means precisely dick to me. I don't care about the show, I care about the host.

With that said, I also understand the prestige associated with institutions. I mean how would you feel about getting to be the head coach of Indiana University? There are tons of colleges to be the head basketball coach of, but isn't there something special involved if it's IU, or North Carolina, or insert-other-famous-college-here? That's how I think guys like Conan feel about a show like The Tonight Show.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    With that said, I also understand the prestige associated with institutions. I mean how would you feel about getting to be the head coach of Indiana University? There are tons of colleges to be the head basketball coach of, but isn't there something special involved if it's IU, or North Carolina, or insert-other-famous-college-here? That's how I think guys like Conan feel about a show like The Tonight Show.
    Yeah, I have little doubt that is how Conan felt in regard to The Tonight Show. I just think he let it get to a point that it hindered him from making the best possible career choice. Really, he should have left for Fox in 2004 when his stock was soaring and they were willing to throw big money at him.

I am finishing Adam Carolla's book In 50 Years We Will All Be Chicks. It is pretty funny and I got the new book by The Daily Show for my birthday.

I have been meaning to read Power Faith and Fantasy: America in the Middle East.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Started Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. The book received brilliant reviews, was nominated for Hugo and Nebula awards, and was so full of crap that I should bury it in the garden.

What a horrid tome. Each and every paragraph of the first 20 or so pages seemed to feature one or more of the words mucus, excrement, effluvia, anus, fecal, rancid or some 'marvelously inventive' synonym for same. 'Dickensian' my ***.

The next thing I read were the Amazon.com reviews for it...this time going to the 'hated it' end of the spectrum. Aha! Yep, that's the book I started.
    Last edited by kester99; 01-13-2011 at 09:53 PM.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's odd, Kesty. Same exact book I'm reading and really enjoying. Different strokes I suppose.

Mood

no, unless it is for school or sports related.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    I am finishing Adam Carolla's book In 50 Years We Will All Be Chicks. It is pretty funny and I got the new book by The Daily Show for my birthday.

I have been meaning to read Power Faith and Fantasy: America in the Middle East.
    Yeah, I read Carolla's book before I tore through the Late Night book. I think it would come off better as a stand up routine. Without his signature sarcasm and tone of voice, it read like some dip**** whining about anything on his mind. It was funny though. There were more than a few parts where I busted out laughing.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    That's odd, Kesty. Same exact book I'm reading and really enjoying. Different strokes I suppose.
    Well, I bought the other two in that disconnected series at the same time...Iron Council and The Scar...I'll give them a shot.

I read mostly sci-fi.

Patrick Ruthfuss - In the Name of the Wind (book 1 of KingKiller Chronicles)
    http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/index.asp His new book is out in March

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time series (being completed by Brandon Sanderson)

Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn Trililogy and he's completing the final Wheel of Time books since Jordan passed away.
    http://www.brandonsanderson.com/
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Yeah, I read Carolla's book before I tore through the Late Night book. I think it would come off better as a stand up routine. Without his signature sarcasm and tone of voice, it read like some dip**** whining about anything on his mind. It was funny though. There were more than a few parts where I busted out laughing.
    Yeah at times he just came off as some spoiled rich kid, but then some other times he had me laughing my *** off. I heard some of the stories on his podcast before and they came off much better when you have his sarcasm flowing and his tone of voice. I really wish he would come visit Indiana to do some of his stand up.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

I am re-reading Steven Erikson's Malazan books. I like them even more the second time through.

For non-fiction I am reading Carl Sagan's Demon-Haunted World. This book is a must read for every human.

Mood

I'm reading a massive tome that I received the Christmas before last, but only starting reading in October (I think.)

The book is Infinite Jest, by the late David Foster Wallace. I can honestly I've never read a novel quite like this one. For one thing, there are seventy-odd pages of footnotes, some of which ramble on for several pages and have footnotes of their own. I'm quite enjoying it, as Wallace had a sense of humor similar to my own, and he's also a master digressor, also like myself (although I would qualify myself as an amateur digressor.)

The book takes place slightly in the future, when the US, Canada and Mexico have joined into one conglomerate known as the O.N.A.N (the organization of North American Nations.) Most of the action takes place at a Tennis Academy in Boston, with more taking place at a Recovery house near the academy, and there is also a very long conversation in the desert outside Phoenix, that has continued throughout the book (although in a different time frame from the rest of the book.)

Wallace really had me when I encountered a recovering addict in his book named Emil Minty. Perhaps a coincidence, but Emil Minty is the name of the actor that played the Feral Kid in Mad Max: Road Warrior.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dab For This Useful Post:

IJ is a tremendous book. For several years I read and reread that thing nonstop. I think you will LOVE it. One of the best books i've ever read.

'the turd emergeth'
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sensational Kids...So far a very interesting book. Didn't know many of the things I've read about our senses that I've read in the first 1/4th of the book.

My son was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder, so I've been reading everythign I can find on the subject so I can help him work to overcome the disorder.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I read mostly sci-fi.

Patrick Ruthfuss - In the Name of the Wind (book 1 of KingKiller Chronicles)
    http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/index.asp His new book is out in March

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time series (being completed by Brandon Sanderson)

Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn Trililogy and he's completing the final Wheel of Time books since Jordan passed away.
    http://www.brandonsanderson.com/
    I read a fair amount of fantasy and science fiction in my free time as well. I loved The Name of the Wind, and I like the job that Sanderson is doing with The Wheel of Time ending as well. But Mistborn was really disappointing. His new series, The Stormlight Archive is better (at least book 1) but he has some problems with flow and development that have lingered.

And if you like Rothfuss and Jordan, you should really read George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. It completely changed fantasy for me, and pretty much ruined Extruded Fantasy Product novels.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to judicata For This Useful Post:

I just polished off Devil in the White City. Very interesting read. About the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and some psycho doctor killing a bunch of young women.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    And if you like Rothfuss and Jordan, you should really read George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. It completely changed fantasy for me, and pretty much ruined Extruded Fantasy Product novels.
    Brilliant stuff. Now if the author would finish the series...

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    I read a fair amount of fantasy and science fiction in my free time as well. I loved The Name of the Wind, and I like the job that Sanderson is doing with The Wheel of Time ending as well. But Mistborn was really disappointing. His new series, The Stormlight Archive is better (at least book 1) but he has some problems with flow and development that have lingered.

I read the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire, but didn't really get into that much. Maybe I just wasn't feeling it at the time cause I was craving the next Wheel of Time book, but I might give it a re-read to see if I change my mind. The pacing of the first book was a bit slow, so maybe the next books are better?

Wouldn't mind having HBO to watch the series based off the books.

Now really free Lance!

Anyone read Keith Richards' autobiography? I'm three chapters in. Heard it's pretty good, but it started a little slow.

Anyone read Keith Richards' autobiography? I'm three chapters in. Heard it's pretty good, but it started a little slow.
    Honestly can't get into autobiographies for celebrities. My wife loves them. She has read the autobiography of Andre Agassi and she loved it.

Now really free Lance!