Thread: Brady Hoke to Michigan

Default Brady Hoke to Michigan

www.mgoblue.com Jan 11 2011

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- University of Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon announced today (Tuesday, Jan. 11) the hiring of Brady Hoke as the 19th coach in the 131-year history of Michigan football. Hoke arrives in Ann Arbor after spending the past eight seasons as a head coach at Ball State (2003-08) and San Diego State (2009-10).

"We are pleased to announce the hiring of Brady," said Brandon. "He is a terrific coach and will be a great ambassador and leader for our football program. We look forward to having him build a championship program on the field and in the classroom."

Hoke spent eight seasons in Ann Arbor before embarking on his head coaching career. He mentored the Wolverines defensive line all eight seasons, a group that helped Michigan rank annually among the nation's best in rushing and total defense. Hoke coached three linemen to All-America honors during his tenure -- William Carr (1996), Glen Steele (1997) and Rob Renes (1999) -- and had five players earn first-team All-Big Ten accolades.

A member of Michigan's staff during its 1997 national championship season, Hoke helped the defense lead the nation in rushing defense at 89 yards per game and 2.7 yards per carry. Michigan's team posted 5-3 records against Michigan State, Ohio State and in bowl games during Hoke's tenure on the staff.

Hoke was named the 2010 Mountain West Conference Coach of the Year after guiding the Aztecs to a 9-4 overall record and 5-3 conference mark. He led SDSU to its first bowl game in 12 years, a 35-14 victory over Navy in the Poinsettia Bowl. Six of his players earned first-team All-MWC honors in 2010, including running back Ronnie Hamilton, the league's freshman of the year. In his first season at San Diego State, Hoke had five players named to All-MWC teams, while 11 players were MWC All-Academic selections.

Hoke took the leadership position at his alma mater, Ball State, in 2003 and built it into a championship program before departing after six seasons for the West Coast. He mentored players to 35 All-MAC selections in six years en route to a pair of bowl game appearances in 2007 and '08. The 2008 season marked the best season in program history, as the Cardinals tallied a school-record 12 wins and completed an undefeated Mid-American Conference regular season. His team won the West Division championship in 2008 and shared the division crown in 2007.

Hoke has 28 years of collegiate experience, with assistant coaching stints at Grand Valley State (1983), Western Michigan (1984-86), Toledo (1987-88), Oregon State (1989-94) and Michigan (1995-2002).

A 1982 graduate of Ball State University, Hoke earned four letters (1977-80) with the Cardinals. He was part of the only two teams in school history to post undefeated conference seasons: as a player in 1978 and as head coach in 2008. Hoke led BSU to the 1978 MAC championship, and as a team captain in 1980 earned All-MAC second team honors.

A native of Dayton, Ohio, Hoke graduated from Fairmont East High School in 1977. Hoke and his wife, the former Laura Homberger, have one daughter, Kelly.

Brandon will formally introduce Hoke at a press conference Wednesday (Jan. 12) at 1 p.m. EST. Live video of the press conference will be available on MGoBlue.com.

The media opportunity will be held at the Junge Family Champions Center located between the Michigan Stadium and Crisler Arena tunnels. The press conference is not open to the public. Both Brandon and Hoke will be unavailable for media interviews until tomorrow's press conference.
    I really think this is one heck of a hire.

He may not have been the big name but this guy has been able to turn around two programs I don't care if they weren't BCS schools. I think Coach Hoke has what it takes to succeed at Michigan and I hope he does.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Brady Hoke to Michigan

Its 12:15 and Michigan still sucks!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Somebody on this board called this months ago, right around the time IU fired Bill Lynch, perhaps even earlier. Kudos to you, sir.

Since said that if Hoke went anywhere it would be to Michigan.

Here's the thing, if you're Michigan are you really happy with this hire?

Can you be? I know they are saying all the right things, but you got turned down by a guy who played QB there in Harbaugh and then Les Miles and you got turned down pretty quickly.

You had to settle for number 3 at best of the guys you wanted.

Michigan just seems lost in the wilderness to me.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I think the fans would be happy because he is a "Michigan guy", which RichRod was most certainly not. Of course, I'd point out he's a Lloyd Carr guy, but, and I mean this sincerely, beggars can't be choosers.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I still think they should have given RichRod a 4th year, I don't care if he's not a "Michigan Guy" if he had ripped off 10+ wins next season he would be a "Michigan Guy".

So if Hoke goes 0-12 every year, it will be OK because he's a Michigan guy?

Just bologna to try and make yourself feel better by saying that.

RichRod installed an entirely new offense, one that is unique in the Big Ten and harder to prepare for and was just now churning big numbers and you don't even give him a full class cycle to do it. Just mind boggling IMO.

Should have fired the D-Coordinator and given Rich one more year.

Hoke would have been there next year too, and with an extra year of evidence of performing in the Mountain West to show he could actually cut it.

Ball State's program was in a complete mess when Hoke arrived. I mean straight shambles, after Bill Lynch drove it off of a cliff.

Facilities were awful, couldn't get recruits, awful coaching. It was just bad bad bad bad bad.

Hoke not only turned it around, but turned it around putting a team together that was 12-0, ranked in the top 15, and well on their way to a MAC Championship before Nate Davis decided to put vasoline on his hands against Buffalo. Then SDSU came calling, while Hoke was negiotating with BSU. Pres. Gora didn't want to make the obligation, not to Brady, but to his staff and to continue upgrading the facilities. Just to shed some light, the football offices aren't even part of the stadium. They're located over a mile away in a building that connects to the basketball arena. Ball State even has metal freaking bleachers on the east side of the stadium, and there are no plans in the works right now to even change it. Some of the other MAC schools are getting, or already have, indoor facilities. That's not going to happen at BSU for atleast another 10years. If ever.

Brady didn't want to leave Muncie. But they made it crystal clear the adminstration wasn't going to fight along side of him. He was fighting a losing battle and winning, for the time being.

He then made SDSU into a 9win team this year, and one of those losses was to TCU 40-35. They lead pretty much the entire first half by 14, when TCU had only trailed for a total of 9secs for the whole season, got down by 20+ and stormed back.

He's tougher than nails, and will get his teams to play that way. Ex-players rave about him. A couple of my buddies who played for him will just talk and talk about how great of a coach and person he is, and about how disciplined he gets his football teams.

Personally, I think it's a great hire for UM. If he fails, it won't be because of a lack of vision or being unprepared. He was routinely getting recruits to come to Muncie with bigger offers to schools in the Big Ten and Big East, and he will need to be able to land even bigger fish, but I have faith.

And BTW, I hate Michigan. But I'm actually starting to rethink it. I don't know if I can bring myself to root against him, even if it means I have to root for that freaking school.

Michigan is his dream job, and he made sure everyone knew it. He's not going to ever get satisfied with merely being there. He wants to turn them into a national contender year in and year out. I think he can.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still think they should have given RichRod a 4th year, I don't care if he's not a "Michigan Guy" if he had ripped off 10+ wins next season he would be a "Michigan Guy".

So if Hoke goes 0-12 every year, it will be OK because he's a Michigan guy?

Just bologna to try and make yourself feel better by saying that.

RichRod installed an entirely new offense, one that is unique in the Big Ten and harder to prepare for and was just now churning big numbers and you don't even give him a full class cycle to do it. Just mind boggling IMO.

Should have fired the D-Coordinator and given Rich one more year.

Hoke would have been there next year too, and with an extra year of evidence of performing in the Mountain West to show he could actually cut it.
    Yes, Hoke would have been available next year. But after you go after Harbough, the writing's on the wall. How would Rodriguez be able to recruit with the blade swinging over his head?

Considering Michigan couldn't beat a winning team, it would be highly unlikely they win 10 games next year. The simple matter is UM took the OSU route and gave up on good to gamble on great. They lost, and as Since points out, at least Hoke has a history of picking up the pieces.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I just don't know that there were pieces to pick up. The team Carr left behind was really, really terrible. That's not RichRod's fault, he is a guy who has shown he can win pretty much anywhere too, even more so than Hoke.

He was instilling a whole new system and the offense finally looked like it was clicking.

I guess my opinion is they never should have gone for Harbaugh unless they were 100% sure they could get him, but clearly that wasn't the case as it only took Harbaugh about one milisecond to shoot them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Ball State's program was in a complete mess when Hoke arrived. I mean straight shambles, after Bill Lynch drove it off of a cliff.

Facilities were awful, couldn't get recruits, awful coaching. It was just bad bad bad bad bad.

Hoke not only turned it around, but turned it around putting a team together that was 12-0, ranked in the top 15, and well on their way to a MAC Championship before Nate Davis decided to put vasoline on his hands against Buffalo. Then SDSU came calling, while Hoke was negiotating with BSU. Pres. Gora didn't want to make the obligation, not to Brady, but to his staff and to continue upgrading the facilities. Just to shed some light, the football offices aren't even part of the stadium. They're located over a mile away in a building that connects to the basketball arena. Ball State even has metal freaking bleachers on the east side of the stadium, and there are no plans in the works right now to even change it. Some of the other MAC schools are getting, or already have, indoor facilities. That's not going to happen at BSU for atleast another 10years. If ever.

Brady didn't want to leave Muncie. But they made it crystal clear the adminstration wasn't going to fight along side of him. He was fighting a losing battle and winning, for the time being.

He then made SDSU into a 9win team this year, and one of those losses was to TCU 40-35. They lead pretty much the entire first half by 14, when TCU had only trailed for a total of 9secs for the whole season, got down by 20+ and stormed back.

He's tougher than nails, and will get his teams to play that way. Ex-players rave about him. A couple of my buddies who played for him will just talk and talk about how great of a coach and person he is, and about how disciplined he gets his football teams.

Personally, I think it's a great hire for UM. If he fails, it won't be because of a lack of vision or being unprepared. He was routinely getting recruits to come to Muncie with bigger offers to schools in the Big Ten and Big East, and he will need to be able to land even bigger fish, but I have faith.

And BTW, I hate Michigan. But I'm actually starting to rethink it. I don't know if I can bring myself to root against him, even if it means I have to root for that freaking school.

Michigan is his dream job, and he made sure everyone knew it. He's not going to ever get satisfied with merely being there. He wants to turn them into a national contender year in and year out. I think he can.
    I'm sold.

He's not a sexy hire, but I think he will get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I just don't know that there were pieces to pick up. The team Carr left behind was really, really terrible. That's not RichRod's fault, he is a guy who has shown he can win pretty much anywhere too, even more so than Hoke.

He was instilling a whole new system and the offense finally looked like it was clicking.

I guess my opinion is they never should have gone for Harbaugh unless they were 100% sure they could get him, but clearly that wasn't the case as it only took Harbaugh about one milisecond to shoot them down.
    RichRod's problem was the system he was putting in though. You aren't going to win consistantly in the Big Ten with a option offense. It just isn't going to happen.

The Big Ten churns out linebackers like no other conference in college football. The other schools get too good of players at that position, and the coaches are too good to get by with that type of style.

They might be able to handle Northwestern, but you aren't going to beat OSU or Penn State playing like that. Too fast, too disciplined.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Maybe, but I guess my point is we'll never really know. The offense certainly made great strides this year. IMO the bigger issue is that the 3-3-5 offense is the most asinine creation known to man and that was really the decision that made no sense. Which is why I suggested firing the D-Coordinator.

For the record, I like Hoke, I'm just not sure Michigan knows what they're doing right now.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Everyone I know who is familiar with Hoke thinks this is the absolute best possible hire.

Michigan will be back.