Thread: Tethering my iPhone question

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tethering my iPhone question

I am paying for a data plan on my iPhone (and Geezer Jrs too) as well as paying for an aircard for my laptop. I understand that I can tether the iPhone to act as an aircard and legally reduce my monthly bill in doing so.

Anyone know of the app I need to load to the iPhone in order to do this? And....is there software I need for the laptop too?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: Tethering my iPhone question

Wow, Geezer used a technology related term......I think Hell might be freezing over.....Anyone got a temprature check?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gyron For This Useful Post:

Mood

Ah just stick your tongue to a flagpole, you'll find out if it's cold out. Yeah, there's money involved so I figured out some of the language I needed to know.

Or someone stole my identity.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

I use PDA Net on my driod, looks like the apple app store doesnt have it but here is the site with details on it

http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I use EasyTether on my andriod phone...Not sure about the iPhone though.

U wouldn't need an app to tether... But u would need to change your data plan from the $30 unlimited to the $45 tethering data plan.... However this would change it from being unlimited use on the iPhone to a total usage of 2gb on both the iPhone and tethering... In my opinion it's definitely not worth it. If you do decide to go this route all you would need to do is go to "settings" "general" "network" " tethering on"

Mood

the question then becomes how much I actually use it. I rarely do unless our home WiFi goes down for some reason or I am at an Open House and I want to show potential clients homes for sale that match their needs. To do that I go to the professional platform and browse it for matches.
    THen once a year I let Jr use it while we are on vacation and he needs to do classwork. He uses the aircard a ton then.

hmmmm thinking.

Well if you have an online account with AT&T you can login there and check your usages for a i believe a year back.... One question are your aircards out of contract? If they are not then to cancel that service u would have an early termination fee.

You have to jailbreak your phone first.

If you're running on the current OS (4.2.1), the only jailbreak currently available is a tethered one (meaning, you'll have to re-break the phone each time you reboot it). An untethered break has been promised in time for Christmas by the iPhone Dev Team, though, which is what I'm waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by ThA HoyA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    U wouldn't need an app to tether... But u would need to change your data plan from the $30 unlimited to the $45 tethering data plan.... However this would change it from being unlimited use on the iPhone to a total usage of 2gb on both the iPhone and tethering... In my opinion it's definitely not worth it. If you do decide to go this route all you would need to do is go to "settings" "general" "network" " tethering on"
    You don't need to do this. Once the phone is jailbroken, there is a program you can buy through Cydia for 16 bucks or so that allows you to tether your phone. It's a one-time cost (no monthly fee increase) and runs off of the unlimited data plan. The unlimited data plan no longer exists for customers who don't already have it, so if you change your plan it's gone forever.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I use PDA Net on my driod, looks like the apple app store doesnt have it but here is the site with details on it

http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php
    This is what I use, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    You don't need to do this. Once the phone is jailbroken, there is a program you can buy through Cydia for 16 bucks or so that allows you to tether your phone. It's a one-time cost (no monthly fee increase) and runs off of the unlimited data plan. The unlimited data plan no longer exists for customers who don't already have it, so if you change your plan it's gone forever.
    Ah that's pretty good! I don't jailbreak my iPhone cause I work for AT&T and get unlimited everything anything, so Im not too familiar with all the apps in Cydia. But definitely do what shade said instead

Mood

I'm currently "grandfathered" with the unlimited plan. Jr however, is not.

oh and talk of Jailbreaking etc....that's where I start getting lost....fast.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    I'm currently "grandfathered" with the unlimited plan. Jr however, is not.

oh and talk of Jailbreaking etc....that's where I start getting lost....fast.
    It's kind of complicated to explain.

In a nutshell, you download an application and put your phone in recovery mode. The application (usually something like blackrain, redsnow, etc.) puts an icon of the application on your phone and, after rebooting your phone, allows you to jailbreak your phone and access an unofficial "app store" like Cydia to download apps that don't exist in the Apple Store.

However, once your phone is jailbroken, updating the software when Apple releases a firmware update will negate the jailbreak.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

yeah, if you jailbreak you have the option of using pdanet to allow tethering regardless of your data plan.

jailbreaking isn't hard or dangerous, and it's very simple to return to unbroken status (though once you jailbreak, the features you gain make it difficult to use a regular iphone again)

it is also not illegal (the jailbreak itself). apple doesn't like it. that's all.

but i live in korea, where tethering is unrestricted... so yeah

Mood

Very interesting.

So here's my situation - I have 5 lines on my AT&T account: myself, my ex, my daughter with my ex, my ex's son, and my ex's boyfriend. We have 3 iPhones, a Nokia E71x (me,) and a Samsung Solstice.

My ex's boyfriend got an iPhone a couple of years back when you required to get the unlimited data plan. The other iPhones were obtained after AT&T started the tiered data plan.

So now my ex and her boyfriend have split up (the ex of my ex,) and he is going to return his iPhone. Now that I know the tethering charge can be circumvented, I am thinking I should take over his iPhone and the unlimited data plan.

Is there a way to get that unlimited data plan assigned to my phone number, or am I going to have to switch to the number associated with the data plan if I want to use the unlimited data plan? It would be an inconvenience if I have to switch phone numbers, but it's one I can live with.

Thanks

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dab View Post
    Very interesting.

So here's my situation - I have 5 lines on my AT&T account: myself, my ex, my daughter with my ex, my ex's son, and my ex's boyfriend. We have 3 iPhones, a Nokia E71x (me,) and a Samsung Solstice.

My ex's boyfriend got an iPhone a couple of years back when you required to get the unlimited data plan. The other iPhones were obtained after AT&T started the tiered data plan.

So now my ex and her boyfriend have split up (the ex of my ex,) and he is going to return his iPhone. Now that I know the tethering charge can be circumvented, I am thinking I should take over his iPhone and the unlimited data plan.

Is there a way to get that unlimited data plan assigned to my phone number, or am I going to have to switch to the number associated with the data plan if I want to use the unlimited data plan? It would be an inconvenience if I have to switch phone numbers, but it's one I can live with.

Thanks
    That's something you'll have to ask at&t.

You would have to take over that number the data plan isn't transferable to other lines... The one thing u could do so u dont inherit all his calls would be to take over that line then get the number changed..

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:

Dab

Mood

Update on my situation:

The ex-boyfriend of my ex turned belligerent, so I went into the local AT&T store to see what my options were, and lo and behold, an old buddy of mine worked there. He gave me a new sim card and right now I'm juggling between the two lines in preparation for moving totally over to the unlimited data one.

Mood

Update on my situation:

The ex-boyfriend of my ex turned belligerent, so I went into the local AT&T store to see what my options were, and lo and behold, an old buddy of mine worked there. He gave me a new sim card and right now I'm juggling between the two lines in preparation for moving totally over to the unlimited data one.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    Wow, Geezer used a technology related term......I think Hell might be freezing over.....Anyone got a temprature check?
    I don't know about Hell...but I hear North Carolina is.