Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It Kills Me To See McRoberts On Bench?

Default It Kills Me To See McRoberts On Bench?

When I started watching the Pacers again this year for the first time in a long time the first thing I noticed was Josh's energy and athleticism. I just assumed that he wasn't that great. Even though he played at Carmel and I'm from Noblesville I never really followed his game. Now I think he's very close to being a very good player. He's improved his outside shot and he's always been athletic if he could work on his D and the little things he's almost there. That being said you can't tell me he deserves ZERO minutes. Is he in O'Briens doghouse or something. Jeff Foster has been on the floor a lot lately and he has zero athleticism. He gets a few boards here and there but it's painful to watch him offensively. I noticed that the teams ball movement is instantly better when Josh is in the game. It was funny that tonight's poll question on the broadcast was which of Josh's dunks were the best. All the while showing him sitting on the bench. I'm not a McRoberts fanboi by any stretch but this has got me puzzled?

Sports Logo

Default Re: It Kills Me To See McRoberts On Bench?

I can understand Foster getting some minutes....but I don't see why we can't run a Hibbert/Foster/Hansbrough/McBob Frontcourt rotation.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can understand Foster getting some minutes....but I don't see why we can't run a Hibbert/Foster/Hansbrough/McBob Frontcourt rotation.
    California Pacer fan? Are you originally from around here?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not certain anyone understands any rotation. The only thing one can guess is that guys are being shopped.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to special ed For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    California Pacer fan? Are you originally from around here?
    Nope....just an out of State Pacer fan since "8 points in 9 seconds".

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

McBob looked so uncomfortable on the bench in ATL. I really felt bad for him.

Nope....just an out of State Pacer fan since "8 points in 9 seconds".

I will always remember that!!! I just about had a heart attack and the whole neighborhood probably heard me scream

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by special ed View Post
    Not certain anyone understands any rotation. The only thing one can guess is that guys are being shopped.
    Foster being shopped?

Possibly....but not likely. Every GM knows what Foster can and can't do.

It's likely that the reason Foster is playing ( and McBob isn't ) is because of the same reason that he was heavily used 2 seasons ago....because Foster is JO'Bs Frontcourt security blanket.

My guess is just because JOB loves his veterans.

Also, Josh has very little offensive ability. Jeff does as well, but when you give Josh easy open shots in the paint he just doesn't score the ball very well. At least we know Jeff can hit his layups.

I'm a big Josh fan, but also, Jeff just has a way with rebounding. Which the Pacers are beyond awful at. Josh just seems out of control when trying to rebound half the time.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Don't bash foster over Mcroberts. The issue is small ball and Danny taking Mcroberts minutes (via George). Josh was inactive the other night so I definitely get someone thinking WTF, but foster isn't the issue. Foster took Solo's minutes and I am happy for that. Argue about Posey getting Josh's minutes the other night, I even scratch my head at that one but foster deserves some respect.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd take Josh over Posey, but right now both Psycho T and Feisty Foster are outplaying McBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    I'd take Josh over Posey, but right now both Psycho T and Feisty Foster are outplaying McBobby.
    I agree with this. I'd like to see Josh play over Posey, but as long as we aren't playing small ball I'm happy with Hibbert, Tyler, and Foster. Last nights overall rotation wasn't bad.

I attended the OKC overtime game at Conseco the night after Thanksgiving, and that night the 53 minutes of PF were divided exclusively between McRoberts (24) and Posey (29). I had attended with my son, who had hoped to get a glimpse of Tyler (he's been a fan of Tyler from his UNC days because we live nearby and caught a lot of his games on tv). Tyler and Foster got DNP-CD. Solomon Jones played 16 minutes.

The problem I have with trying to be a fan is the fact that guys will rubber-band between 29 minutes and DNP-CD for no particular reason. Players need continuity, but so do fans. We are trying to invest ourselves in a team, and when the personnel are shifting around so dramatically without regard to injury, then it is tough to stay on board.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MTM For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We won.

Foster was terrific last night. He's a tremendous offensive rebounder and very good defender.

Maybe this will spur McBob to be more nasty on the defensive end of the court?

It kills me to see McRoberts playing.

I want to see a reliable Hibbert/Foster (approximately equal now, but with Hibbert getting up to 36 minutes as soon as he works through his current funk) center rotation and a reliable Hansbrough/McRoberts (in whichever order works best, but approximately equal minutes) PF rotation with S. Jones as a backup for either position as needed.

Geez, can we please agree to stop bashing Foster, or any player for that matter, if the criticism is not warranted? How in the world can you say he has zero athleticism? He was 4-5 shooting and nearly had a double-double last night, has a very good block per and steals per game line this season, and his offensive boards are accounting for roughly 5 extra points per game. Painful to watch him offensively? Gets a few rebounds here and there? Have you checked his FG% this season and compared it to the other bigs? Have you figured what he'd get in rebounds if he played more minutes? Admittedly he had an exceptional night of shooting as far as % goes, but simply put, the guy is doing what he is supposed to do, and he has been doing better than the other people that your intimate should have his minutes. I like McBob. I think there is room for him in the rotation. But your comments, at least about Jeff, are not supported by facts.

Also, your thread title? Is that a question or a statement?

It is puzzling how he went from starter to not even playing.

I think Foster is playing at least as well as McRoberts, and don't mind seeing him out there. I don't really like McRoberts getting DNP-CD'ed because I love how any second he can give us a highlight dunk, but I'd rather see the team go with whatever gives them the best chance to win, whether it's Foster or McBob.

But for the sake of being a crazed conspiracy theorist, Foster is playing because the Pacers want to show GM's around the league that he's healthy so that they can ship him out of town in the next few weeks. It's also a move to keep McRoberts' value low, GM's around the league won't want to give a good contract to a guy who got benched and DNP'ed for half the season, giving the Pacers the ability to retain him at a much lower price.

im actually really happy to not see posey playing much lately.. miss his 3 pointers though, but god i'm glad he's not playing defence right now.

josh does a lot of thing ok. nice passer, runs the floor, moves the ball, nice handle for a big, sees the floor pretty well, rebounds in space, will block a shot, decent finisher, good hands, great nasty attitude on the court, plays with lots of emotion. lots of things. but he is not a good rebounder in traffic, not a good defender in the post and not a low post scorer. in other words he doesn't do well most of the things a PF has to do. some of that can be fixed with practice and some with more time in the weight room. josh still can be a good player, but he is not there yet. jeff is a better player and so is tyler. so they play and he sits. when he gets to be a better player in the post, my guess is we will see more of him since his intangibles are good.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    josh does a lot of thing ok. nice passer, runs the floor, moves the ball, nice handle for a big, sees the floor pretty well, rebounds in space, will block a shot, decent finisher, good hands, great nasty attitude on the court, plays with lots of emotion. lots of things. but he is not a good rebounder in traffic, not a good defender in the post and not a low post scorer. in other words he doesn't do well most of the things a PF has to do. some of that can be fixed with practice and some with more time in the weight room. josh still can be a good player, but he is not there yet. jeff is a better player and so is tyler. so they play and he sits. when he gets to be a better player in the post, my guess is we will see more of him since his intangibles are good.

Good post. That was my point. If he keeps his head on straight I think Josh has the potential with a little work to be better than all our big guys in the long run. You can coach defense and the little things but you can't coach athleticism. Still not a big fan of Foster but to each his own. I realize our need for rebounding. But you can't compare Foster's FG%. All his points are layups or dunks. He can't put the ball on the floor at all or shoot from the perimeter. Yeah we need that nasty guy inside and maybe this will inspire Josh to step up to the plate with rebounding and defense. Especially since Tyler has come on strong as well.

I'm going with the AJ Price theory for McRoberts not playing. JOB can't stand the idea of playing two young players at the same position for the majority of the game.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I'm going with the AJ Price theory for McRoberts not playing. JOB can't stand the idea of playing two young players at the same position for the majority of the game.
    This is essentially it. We can't have two young guys holding up a position. One of them must be a vet.

Not that Foster hasn't played well, he has, but we can have a four post rotation and alternate Posey and Solo on the inactive list.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Good post. That was my point. If he keeps his head on straight I think Josh has the potential with a little work to be better than all our big guys in the long run. You can coach defense and the little things but you can't coach athleticism. Still not a big fan of Foster but to each his own. I realize our need for rebounding. But you can't compare Foster's FG%. All his points are layups or dunks. He can't put the ball on the floor at all or shoot from the perimeter. Yeah we need that nasty guy inside and maybe this will inspire Josh to step up to the plate with rebounding and defense. Especially since Tyler has come on strong as well.
    Not to purposely be argumentative, but you CAN compare Foster's FG%. Actually, not all of Jeff's points are layups and dunks this season. Actually, I don't remember too many dunks---I remember more jumpers. But let's say that they predominantly were all layups and dunks. You can make the comparison between FG%, at least with Josh, because pretty much all I remember from Josh were predominantly layups and dunks. To me, it doesn't matter how a person contributes in regard to scoring, as long as they do what they need to do and satisfy expectations.