Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where does Mcroberts fit in, if tyler starts?

Default Where does Mcroberts fit in, if tyler starts?

Is Mcroberts healthy? Tyler had an outstanding game and if this was his audition it would appear its his job to loose, but I don't think Josh played at all. It is nice to have a healthy Foster again and I am happy with him backing up roy. The backup pf minutes are highly dependent on Grangers/
    fosters minutes at the 4. This team is healthier than they have been in my memory and it would seem Mcroberts, Posey, and george are all looking at the same minutes depending on matchups. I know very few choose Posey of these three but I am curious how people feel about George and Mcroberts. Do we want Danny playing the four so George gets minutes or Mcroberts backing up Tyler and not going small? Reguardless, I certainly hope Mcroberts gets the backup minutes over Posey. I expect Mcroberts and George to trade minutes from here on out unless Mcroberts starts again or takes Fosters minutes at the 5. who do want to get the minutes?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Where does Mcroberts fit in, if tyler starts?

yes mcbob is healthy DNP CD

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just kidding.

I'd give McBob backup minutes at PF, and test him out at center as well. I'd say there's enough to go around for him to get 15-20 minutes a night, and if he impresses, he can become Foster's replacement, assuming Jeff is gone in the offseason.

I would like him to only get spot minutes maybe when Jeff can't go or Tyler or Roy get into foul problems

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Where does McRoberts fit in if Tyler starts?

Just a guess on my part, but I'd got with coming off the bench?

Since JOB had Josh playing perimeter quite a bit, I would just as soon see Josh getting most of his minutes backing up Roy.

I don't know what to think about McRoberts. Hansbrough owned McRoberts every single time they played in college. McRoberts has never been a very physical player and was bit of a basket case when I watched him play. It seems like he has matured a lot since then.

But he should have never been starting at PF while the better player sat at the end of the bench.

Where does McRoberts fit in? That is a great question. I don't think you can possibly know as long as O'Brien remains the coach. The man is clueless about how to use his roster. Get a real coach in there. Let him evaluate the roster and figure out how to use it.

As long as O'Brien is here, there will be the risk that Mcroberts will end up back as the starting PF and Hansbrough will be asked to go serve popcorn in the stands.
    <---- Hansbrough smiling in the training room after Gerald Henderson's cheap shot. UNC won the game, Tyler was happy so he took this picture. Roy Williams keeps it on his desk.

looks like josh and solo join the sitters club. but unless the roy and jeff start playing better, they will be back.

although dahntay, solo and AJ should get matching jackets on the bench.

Josh should be Tyler's backup.

Jeff is fine as Roy's backup.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

If Tyler is starting McRoberts should be the first big off the bench getting pretty much even minutes as Hansbrough.

With that said though McRoberts should still be starting, and playing 20 to 30 minutes, with Tyler coming off the bench playing the rest of the minutes at the PF position. This team was at its best when McRoberts was playing 20 to 30 minutes and Hansbrough was playing 15 to 20 minutes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where does McRoberts fit in if Tyler starts?

Just a guess on my part, but I'd got with coming off the bench?

Since JOB had Josh playing perimeter quite a bit, I would just as soon see Josh getting most of his minutes backing up Roy.
    You want him taking Fosters minutes backing up Roy, its a valid aurgument? Obviously he will be coming off the bench, but what we are discussing is his spot in the rotation. There have been numerous post about how Josh doesn't get enough minutes and now there is a chance that he gets a consistent DNP CD. I just want to know how people feel about that. I expect Josh to get Poseys minutes at the four, but Posey didn't get any minutes tonight.

I am in favor of that as well, but it means George sits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    If Tyler is starting McRoberts should be the first big off the bench getting pretty much even minutes as Hansbrough.

With that said though McRoberts should still be starting, and playing 20 to 30 minutes, with Tyler coming off the bench playing the rest of the minutes at the PF position. This team was at its best when McRoberts was playing 20 to 30 minutes and Hansbrough was playing 15 to 20 minutes.

IDK. I think Tyler showed something tonight that I don't think McRoberts has in him. I like Josh and I'm not ready to conclude anything...

I keep dreaming of Price, Hans and Dun off the bench. What a fantastic scoring unit that would be..

Really, I like Hans, and he had a fantastic game tonight..If we start Hans, then I think Josh should be the first big off the bench, and he can play Center or PF. Josh and Hans actually play well together.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    looks like josh and solo join the sitters club. but unless the roy and jeff start playing better, they will be back.

although dahntay, solo and AJ should get matching jackets on the bench.
    http://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA

Quote:
    Lance Stephenson active for the first time 2nite vs. Spurs. Stephenson and A.J. Price will alternate being on the inactive list

They guys a crap journalist, but he does have inside information.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    I am in favor of that as well, but it means George sits.
    It only means George sits if JOB continues to play Granger more than 35 minutes a game. Really right now George hasn't shown that he deserves anymore than 10 to 15 minutes which I think would be easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    IDK. I think Tyler showed something tonight that I don't think McRoberts has in him. I like Josh and I'm not ready to conclude anything...
    Tyler and Josh do two different things. Tyler is more power while McRoberts is more finesse. While Tyler is more capable of scoring when he is struggling on offense he doesn't bring much else on that side of the court. McRoberts on the other hand does things that help to make the offense as a whole play a lot better. As well I don't think it is just a coincidence that Hibbert started to struggle the game that McRoberts started to get reduced minutes.

The way I see it what Tyler brings is best used as coming off the bench, while what McRoberts brings is best used starting. Whoever plays more really should come down to who is playing better and which is the better match-up

He should alternate backing up the 4 and 5 along with Jeff.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

If Hansbrough is given consistent starter's minutes, your opinion will soon change. Watch as his constant hustle forces his teammates to give 110% too. Watch as he consistently draws fouls and gets to the free throw line (something Mcroberts and Posey were not doing.) Watch as he gets his team into the bonus early in each quarter he starts. Watch how many and-ones he is able to convert. Watch how rarely that POWER forward spends his time out beyond the arc shooting 3's.

No team will EVER be better with Josh McRoberts getting more minutes than Tyler Hansbrough.

Do you really think you would have been that close to beating the Spurs, the team with the best record in the league, if McRoberts had been your starting PF?
    <---- Hansbrough smiling in the training room after Gerald Henderson's cheap shot. UNC won the game, Tyler was happy so he took this picture. Roy Williams keeps it on his desk.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shabazz For This Useful Post:

IDK. I think Tyler showed something tonight that I don't think McRoberts has in him.

Yeah we figured that out back in '05-'06. Someone forgot to pass that memo on to Jim O'Brien.

The reason Hansbrough is so physical... he is a warrior.

The reason McRoberts is so finesse... well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NElaIEymBb4

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    http://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA

Quote:
    . . . Stephenson and A.J. Price will alternate being on the inactive list.
    good to see this. maybe lance will get some random playing time at the end of a blowout or foul trouble or something. i would like to see him play against the varsity.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post
    Yeah we figured that out back in '05-'06. Someone forgot to pass that memo on to Jim O'Brien.

The reason Hansbrough is so physical... he is a warrior.

The reason McRoberts is so finesse... well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NElaIEymBb4
    Some of the comments on that YouTube video are hilarious.

Once again, this is the pros and they are men now compared to college. That **** doesn't matter anymore and they are on the same team. They both do good things and Josh's role is not that of a scorer.

Tyler is a better scorer than Josh while Josh has much better court awareness, athleticism, and basketball IQ. I don't get where this "Josh is a pansy" stuff comes from anymore. His game on defense is definitely that of a banger and he's everything but a pretty boy.
    Last edited by hoops_guy; 01-08-2011 at 12:56 AM.
    We need better than solid. No JJ Redicks, Andray Blatche, Mike Dunleavy type guys to have big roles on our team.

I think I'm leaning toward Tyler simply being the better basketball player. I have a feeling that if we see more of him, it will become more apparent.

What does Josh do clearly better? Josh passes better (more assists). Arguably he makes his team mates better...which is huge. Josh may also attack the rim with more effectiveness, but Tyler has his moments.

They are close to equal at blocking or altering shots IMO...which I didn't think would be true.

I have no stats to back me up necessarily, but I think Hans does many more things better.

1) Shooting
    2) Rebounding
    3) Boxing out
    4) Setting picks
    5) Drawing fouls
    6) Steals

I'd probably start Hans and get him more integrated into the flow of the offense. If he does that, he's hands down the better player IMHO.

I think I'm leaning toward Tyler simply being the better basketball player. I have a feeling that if we see more of him, it will become more apparent.

What does Josh do clearly better? Josh passes better (more assists). Arguably he makes his team mates better...which is huge. Josh may also attack the rim with more effectiveness, but Tyler has his moments.

They are close to equal at blocking or altering shots IMO...which I didn't think would be true.

I have no stats to back me up necessarily, but I think Hans does many more things better.

1) Shooting
    2) Rebounding
    3) Boxing out
    4) Setting picks
    5) Drawing fouls
    6) Steals

I'd probably start Hans and get him more integrated into the flow of the offense. If he does that, he's hands down the better player IMHO.
    josh does a lot of things ok, but tyler rebound so much better. seems to be a better on ball defender also. plus tyler's able to take 19 shots in a game. that's hard to do at the NBA level.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post
    If Hansbrough is given consistent starter's minutes, your opinion will soon change. Watch as his constant hustle forces his teammates to give 110% too. Watch as he consistently draws fouls and gets to the free throw line (something Mcroberts and Posey were not doing.) Watch as he gets his team into the bonus early in each quarter he starts. Watch how many and-ones he is able to convert. Watch how rarely that POWER forward spends his time out beyond the arc shooting 3's.

No team will EVER be better with Josh McRoberts getting more minutes than Tyler Hansbrough.

Do you really think you would have been that close to beating the Spurs, the team with the best record in the league, if McRoberts had been your starting PF?
    If you can get past your fanboyism and take a step back from the game earlier you might understand why I have my opinion. Hansbrough has struggled more than he has played well since being a Pacer, and one game isn't the end all be all. Yes Tyler has a better ability to score than McRoberts does, no one will argue that. At the same time though you have to realize that typically Hansbrough doesn't score within the flow of the offense. While McRoberts doesn't score as much he does make the offense flow a lot better, which helps everyone on the court. So there is a pro and con to both of them playing on the offensive side.

Considering there are more scorers in the ranks of the starters, and the majority of them score best from the wing and within the flow of an offense it is best to start McRoberts in order to help those scorers get in rythm and score. At the same time since other than Hibbert Hansbrough is the only low post threat. The team needs someone that is capable of coming in and replacing him.

As far as where McRoberts is playing on the court, that kind of stuff is typically more about what the coach wants the player to do. McRoberts has shown that he is going to do what the coach wants. If the coach wants him to spend time around the 3 he will go out there, and it is pretty obvious that is what JOB wants him to do.

Like the other guy said, college means **** at this level. If it did Duke players would dominate this league like they typically do college, when the truth is Duke players typically are average NBA players.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I would like him to only get spot minutes maybe when Jeff can't go or Tyler or Roy get into foul problems
    Why is that if he is statistically identical to Tyler and statistically superior to Posey and Foster?

You're look for worse 3pt shooting, worse rebounding, worse inside shooting, less vertical defense, slower transitions either way, worse outlets, weaker screens and picks away from the ball...

Its quite a long list of great reasons, I'll admit.

Talk about trying to cover your butt. You can't own up to the "Josh isn't an NBA player" thing and he's had big impact games much like Tyler's tonight. Plenty of blah games too, but you better believe Tyler has plenty of blah nights ahead of him as well.

Up till now they've had good results when they've been used as the true PF tandem, usually one of them is on his game for sure and they switch up the type of PF game coming at the other team.

I mean I wouldn't bench Roy either, but between he and Josh it's Roy that's been struggling more. Personally I'd play Roy, Josh, and Tyler as the core rotation and just hold my nose on their stinkfest nights on my way to turning them into a really solid future core.

At the same time though you have to realize that typically Hansbrough doesn't score within the flow of the offense. While McRoberts doesn't score as much he does make the offense flow a lot better, which helps everyone on the court. So there is a pro and con to both of them playing on the offensive side.
    Totally agree, and by agreeing I'm obviously admitting that I misread how much Tyler would be able to translate his game to the NBA. My issue with him as a prospect was SPECIFICALLY that unlike most big NCAA scorer/rebounder types, he got a much bigger chunk of those points from the FT line than any other 20+ PPG types.

My suggestion was that he wouldn't get those fouls called in the NBA which would mean a lack of points and ability to impact games. He didn't have a scorer's game, the array of moves and shots that he could turn to night after night. He just hustled his way into 8-10 FTAs for 7-8 of his points and nearly halfway to his average.

Fanboys envisioned this monster power guy throwing down dunks and killing people with a low post/inside game. This was a main issue discussed after his tryout and Bird talking up his vert game. I disputed that.

I think I stand justified in that sense, that Tyler's game isn't about power inside and is more about drawing a truckload of FTs. He also has the mid jumper going, but on the season this year and last he doesn't shoot it very well. His FG% remains low for a power inside guy where most people supplement 43-47% shooting with several dunks or tipbacks that result in carrying a 50-55%.

But he sure put it in my face on drawing fouls. I'm long past admitting that I was wrong about him not being able to do that. His aggression and motor get him boards, get him FTAs and sometimes prove nicely disruptive to the other team. On nights where he can knock down 2-4 of those jumpers he's very likely to get you 16-18 points overall.

BTW I also happily admit he outplayed Blair tonight.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-08-2011 at 01:42 AM.

33. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post: