Big Market teams have an advantage that wins titles. Here is just a small list. I will start from the bottom up.
1. Players- Do you think O'Neal leaves Orlando to go to the Bucks. No, he goes to the Lakers for good reason. Storied franchise in a big market. Players often want to play in a big markets. Kobe agent even said playing for the Hornets wasn't a possibility.
3. Scouting - Do you think each team has the same pay role for scouting NBA talent? Which job is better. I am a scout for the Pacers or I am a scout for the Boston Celtics? Which one recruits better scouts? Do you think the Lakers would get rid of their entire amateur scouting staff like the Grizzlies did?
2. Coaches- Do you think Phil Jackson comes out of retirement in 1998 to coach the Sonics. Of course not.
3. GM's/Presidents - Do you think Danny Ainge pulls off the Ray Allen/KG trade if he is in Sacramento. Do you think Jerry West builds the 80's Lakers in Memphis. He tried and he didn't.
4. Owners - Big Market owners time and again appease their superstars. Kobe wants to be traded and they say no and make the changes to win titles. Paul Pierce demands a trade and Ainge comes through.
I am not saying just becasue you are in a Big Market you will win a lot NBA titles but I am saying that history seems to be repeating itself a little too often for me to act like the market isn't a big factor.