Thread: Let's say Josh never played another minute at the 4.

Default Let's say Josh never played another minute at the 4.

Wouldn't you want him getting all of the backup C minutes? What does Solo give you that Josh doesn't?

And I like Mr. Jones and his ability to strike up a little more conversation. But he's not better than Josh.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Let's say Josh never played another minute at the 4.

Honestly, I don't think Josh is all that great, but I do believe he brings more to the table than James or Solo.

I think Tyler is the best PF we have, which is why it frustrates me that he gets the least playtime at a position of severe need.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Solomon is just the poster-boy of mediocrity. No matter what, when he is coming from the game you know for a fact that you aren't going to get anything from him. Maybe a little bit, but that would just be a pleasant suprise because usually the good things he does on the court doesn't outnumber the amount of bad things he does on the floor.

You know that a player sucks when you don't expect anything positive from them and you just hope to God that they don't **** anything up.
    We need better than solid. No JJ Redicks, Andray Blatche, Mike Dunleavy type guys to have big roles on our team.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Give it a year, and he'll never play another minute at the 4 FOR THE PACERS.

See ya, Josh. Our coach blew it, and your entire career suffered for it. Good luck with your new team, young man.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Yes, I want to see Josh at the backup Center position to see how he does.

I'd like to have a
    Hibbert/Josh
    Future PF/Hans

Josh and Tyler play well together, I'd like to keep them both, but I'd also like to upgrade the PF position. So I want to see how well Josh can play the Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    . . . What does Solo give you that Josh doesn't?
    his arms are longer. better shotblocker. he's not very strong, but stronger than josh in the post.

i like his constant pick setting though. don't know how much it helps things, but it is fun to watch.

I had a good laugh a few games ago when Chris Denari was praising S. Jones and said "he's having a career year."

I immediately looked up his stats... 4 ppg, 3 rpg, 3 dropped passes and 4 moving screens per game.

The laughter continued...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bnd45 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Give it a year, and he'll never play another minute at the 4 FOR THE PACERS.

See ya, Josh. Our coach blew it, and your entire career suffered for it. Good luck with your new team, young man.
    This +100.

IMHO....McBob is a Big Man that is best used as a "1st or 2nd" Big Man coming off the bench playing between 20+ mpg that is good enough to be an "Emergency Starter" for a short period of time. I'm not saying that he comes anywhere near the "Legend of McBob" that has been cultivated here over the last year and a half....but he's a decent rotational Big Man that can contribute with his solid passing skills and overall athleticsm on a decent Team.

If McBob decides to leave for greener pastures on a different Team, I don't blame him.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    his arms are longer. better shotblocker. he's not very strong, but stronger than josh in the post.

i like his constant pick setting though. don't know how much it helps things, but it is fun to watch.
    Solo hasn't averaged above .7 bpg over the course of his career ( while averaging .6 bpg this season in 14.6 mpg ). When McBob has been given consistent minutes ( specifically this season ), he has averaged .9 bpg while playing 20 mpg.

Add in that Solo is a VERY POOR Rebounder for his size and IMHO....the only skill that I guess that he can offer over McBob is his low-post defense and ( I think ) his ability to periodically hit a mid-range jumpshot around the FT line.

Either way, I would have lived with any deficiencies that McBob has over Solo given McBob's upside AND that I am pretty sure that what we see of Solo is what we will see for the rest of his career.

But since I don't think that McBob will be around next season anyway...I guess it doesn't really matter.

Solo = Mediocrity IMHO.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Gotta Play Big

The team has the talent to reach .500 with the right system. Best case 6th seed in the playoffs.

As for McBob, he's a good backup 4 on a contender IMO. He's a starter on a bad team. He's the weak link on the starting unit for a .500 team.

With that said, McBob could turn out to be an average starting PF. Personally, I don't think he's strong enough to be a good starting C in the NBA. Sure, he can be a backup at the position, but he's probably short some muscle and size to be that good at C.

Tyler is really an unknown...and will continue to be one apparently.

I prefer Josh over Solo at the 5, yes.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the options available are entirely average. I don't know what he'd do or what he's capable of in the right system, with no fear of getting the hook.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Solo is a better rebounder than Josh. Solo is a stronger defender than Josh

I don't need to see another minute of Solo in a Pacer uni period.

If I had my druthers, we'd have the following inside rotation...

C Roy/Jeff (when available)/Josh (when Jeff is unavailable)

PF Jo****yler/Posey (w/ Posey getting @ 12 minutes unless Josh is needed at b/u C)

I'm not opposed to Granger getting PF minutes if we insist on small ball if it means PG is gaining minutes as a result and we see some combo of Granger, George, Rush, Dunleavy group playing as a trio.

However, I prefer a more traditional 4, which is complicated now because the ones we have I consider to be better suited as capable back ups.

I'm to the point with Dunleavy that I am with Solo. Unlike Solo, he has things to offer, but I just don't think those things are maximized by where the team is now and I doubt he's part of the long-term future barring - MAYBE - a significant pay cut.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This +100.

IMHO....McBob is a Big Man that is best used as a "1st or 2nd" Big Man coming off the bench playing between 20+ mpg that is good enough to be an "Emergency Starter" for a short period of time.
    When you think about it - this seems to be the most apt description of all the PFs on this team - Tyler, Foster, Josh. All rotation guys, but nobody seems to think they are starter material. JOB seems to think that the PF MUST be a scoring threat and a part of the offense. I think if the PG, SG, SF, and C all score in double digits and need double digit shots a game, that a "rotational" PF who is scrappy and plays good defense is exactly what would be needed. So if anything, rather than focus on how much offense the PF brings, I think defensive presence is just as key.

And yes, I am thinking in a perfect world of a guy like Dale Davis on this team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nope, we need Josh at the four since he is one of only two real PFs on this roster - the other one is Tyler. The Pacers shall take care of playing Foster at the position he played through his career -backup center- and Posey where he belongs (small forward pr bench).

Collison/Ford
    Rush/George
    Granger/Dunleavy/Posey
    Hansbrough/McRoberts
    Hibbert/Foster

Jones, Jones, Stevenson, AJ -just plug one of them in the rotation depending on matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    When you think about it - this seems to be the most apt description of all the PFs on this team - Tyler, Foster, Josh. All rotation guys, but nobody seems to think they are starter material. JOB seems to think that the PF MUST be a scoring threat and a part of the offense. I think if the PG, SG, SF, and C all score in double digits and need double digit shots a game, that a "rotational" PF who is scrappy and plays good defense is exactly what would be needed. So if anything, rather than focus on how much offense the PF brings, I think defensive presence is just as key.

And yes, I am thinking in a perfect world of a guy like Dale Davis on this team.
    i don't think JOB believes a 4 has to score or that james posey is the ideal player to play. it is more about the lack of production of the other guys. that he is the least worst choice at the backup 4. especially when the team is behind.

defensively, josh, tyler and james are equally bad choices.

josh can block some shots, but his on ball defense is ordinary at best. there are too many guys he just cannot defend in the post. he does lots of things ok, but nothing well. if left alone, he can rebound. but is not a very good rebounder in traffic. right now he is more a 'troy murphy' rebounder than a jeff foster rebounder. he can block a shot, but he is just an ok shot blocker. there are lots of guys that can get over him.

james is undersized, can't jump, but is always in the right spot, creates turnovers, excellent team defender, makes few mistakes and always knows what to do in advance. ie, his BB IQ is very high. plus he is the best shooter from distance. but in the end, he is a slightly oversized SF playing out of position.

tyler is probably the best defender, certainly the best offensive rebounder, better offensive game than josh and the only one of the 3 with any low post game. but evidently can't figure out where he is supposed to be on offense and defense. tyler seems to play like ron artest used to. just kinda wanders around and plays. which is ok, except it doesn't make anyone else much better and he gets in the way alot. at some point, he needs to learn how to play with the other children. if he cannot, the pacers need to design the offense around what he is going to do. like the pacers did before with ron.

jeff is the best actual PF type. he is by far the best defender/rebounder. he knows where to go on offense. he creates turnovers. if i were coach, he would be starting. but evidently he is still fragile and unable to physically play enough minutes. plus he has no offensive game outside putbacks.

it just seems that none of these guys are any good, so JOB plays them situationally. and offensively james > tyler > josh > jeff. defensively jeff > tyler > josh = james. tyler, josh and james are about the same defensively. different games, but overall defense is the same.

there is a real chance here for tyler/josh to become a rotation player. all they have to do is play better than james posey, who is playing out of position. the fact james is playing says more about josh, tyler and jeff than about james.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post: