Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

  1. #1
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Question: You mentioned that Rick Carlisle said the Pacers were going to play a different style of offense next year. Do you know what this style is and how it differs from last year? I personally hope it is a little more up-tempo to show off the talents of Jamaal Tinsley, Jonathan Bender and Fred Jones in the full court. (Brian from Fort Wayne, Ind.)

    Answer: I asked Carlisle that question at the time and he didn't give an answer. But I'm guessing the team will play a faster tempo. Carlisle knows Tinsley better now than before last season and no doubt trusts him more. Stephen Jackson, Bender and Jones will have significant roles in the offense and are suited to an up-tempo game. Ron Artest and Jermaine O'Neal, who were the focal points of last season's halfcourt offense, would prefer a faster pace, too.

    Question: We have heard all of the talk about the summer league and how players are working out all over the country. What has not been addressed is your conditioning in the off-season. You were criticized globally (not meaning Sekou Smith's frame) for your lack of mobility as Shawn Bradley took full advantage of you and your laptop. What has your off-season conditioning program consisted of? (D.C. from Indianapolis)

    Answer: To the contrary, I showed amazing alertness and agility to get out of the way of Bradley's awkward dive into the scorer's table. I was light on my feet, executing a move that put the greatest of bullfighters to shame.

    However, I must admit my off-season training program has been sporadic. I work out a few days a week at the health club and swing a golf club, but haven't done anything to improve my footwork. Therefore, I plan to cover next season's Pacers-Mavericks games from the press room to avoid a reunion with Mr. Bradley.

    Question: What is the status of Antonio Davis? Could he fit into the Pacers' plans? It seems like he's wasting away in Chicago. (Michael from Tipton, Ind.)

    Answer: Davis is Chicago's highest-paid player, due $27 million over the next two seasons. He turns 36 on Oct. 31, and given his injury problems of the past couple of seasons it's unlikely he'll be able to live up to his salary. He's another example of Toronto's dilemma. The Raptors often have to over-pay players to re-sign them. They also made a major offer to Austin Croshere, which the Pacers had to beat to re-sign him in 2000.

    Still, Davis is a mature veteran who would be a welcome addition to any team. He has told people he wishes he had never left the Pacers. He probably would be happy to finish his career here, although his wife's family lives in the Chicago area and they appear to enjoy living there.

    Given his salary, however, it would be difficult for the Pacers to acquire him and fit him into their payroll structure. There's a better chance of them bringing back Dale Davis next summer, when he is a free agent and can be signed for a much lower salary than he's earning now ($10 million). He turns 36 in March. (I think that'd be nice)

    Question: How would a Shawn Bradley-Scot Pollard trade work out? It gives the Pacers a big man who blocks shots and could get some rebounds. (Phill from Brussels, Belgium)

    Answer: The salaries don't match closely enough. Pollard will be paid $5.8 million this season and Bradley will receive $4 million.

    Question: It seemed the Mavericks gave up very little to acquire Erick Dampier. Couldn't the Pacers put together a combination of players and/or picks that would have matched or been better than Dallas' offer? (Tim from Miami, Fla.)

    Answer: The Pacers could have given the Warriors more talent than the Mavericks did, but Chris Mullin did not want long-term contracts. He received first-round draft picks and some cash. He took on Eduardo Najera's contract, which has four years remaining, but was able to unload Evan Eschmeyer's bloated contract in return. That trade was about economics for the Warriors.

    Also, the Pacers were not willing to give Dampier a seven-year contract worth more than $70 million. They would have given him big money for fewer years, however.

    Question: What do you think about the Pacers adding some bulk to their front line by signing Marcus Fizer? He was Jamaal Tinsley's teammate in college. Although he has not had the best career in the NBA thus far, on the right team (Pacers) he could add another big body and some much needed toughness to the frontline to match up with the likes of Detroit. (Patrick from Fishers, Ind.)

    Answer: I regarded Fizer as an underrated player in Chicago. He always seemed to play well against the Pacers, at least. But he's a forward (6-8, 260), so it would be difficult to work him into the lineup. He's got one year left on a contract that will pay him $4.9 million this season, so he's certainly a tradeable player.

    I'm guessing he'll get a lot of playing time with the Charlotte Bobcats, however, and they would be reluctant to trade him. He also has legal issues for carrying a handgun.

    http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/025639-4458-116.html

  2. #2
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question: You mentioned that Rick Carlisle said the Pacers were going to play a different style of offense next year. Do you know what this style is and how it differs from last year? I personally hope it is a little more up-tempo to show off the talents of Jamaal Tinsley, Jonathan Bender and Fred Jones in the full court. (Brian from Fort Wayne, Ind.)

    Answer: I asked Carlisle that question at the time and he didn't give an answer. But I'm guessing the team will play a faster tempo. Carlisle knows Tinsley better now than before last season and no doubt trusts him more. Stephen Jackson, Bender and Jones will have significant roles in the offense and are suited to an up-tempo game. Ron Artest and Jermaine O'Neal, who were the focal points of last season's halfcourt offense, would prefer a faster pace, too.
    I don't know if I would count on that. Rick seems absolutely love calling every play.


  3. #3
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,927

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question: You mentioned that Rick Carlisle said the Pacers were going to play a different style of offense next year. Do you know what this style is and how it differs from last year? I personally hope it is a little more up-tempo to show off the talents of Jamaal Tinsley, Jonathan Bender and Fred Jones in the full court. (Brian from Fort Wayne, Ind.)

    Answer: I asked Carlisle that question at the time and he didn't give an answer. But I'm guessing the team will play a faster tempo. Carlisle knows Tinsley better now than before last season and no doubt trusts him more. Stephen Jackson, Bender and Jones will have significant roles in the offense and are suited to an up-tempo game. Ron Artest and Jermaine O'Neal, who were the focal points of last season's halfcourt offense, would prefer a faster pace, too.
    I hope it ain't the "Quick" offense!!! :devillaugh:

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question: We have heard all of the talk about the summer league and how players are working out all over the country. What has not been addressed is your conditioning in the off-season. You were criticized globally (not meaning Sekou Smith's frame) for your lack of mobility as Shawn Bradley took full advantage of you and your laptop. What has your off-season conditioning program consisted of? (D.C. from Indianapolis)

    Answer: To the contrary, I showed amazing alertness and agility to get out of the way of Bradley's awkward dive into the scorer's table. I was light on my feet, executing a move that put the greatest of bullfighters to shame.



    However, I must admit my off-season training program has been sporadic. I work out a few days a week at the health club and swing a golf club, but haven't done anything to improve my footwork. Therefore, I plan to cover next season's Pacers-Mavericks games from the press room to avoid a reunion with Mr. Bradley.
    The funniest thing about this was durring SportsCenter after the game, they were doing the highlite of Shawn Bradley killing his computer and the SC anchor just said...Dude, your getting a Dell! I think I laughed for about 10 mins.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question: What is the status of Antonio Davis? Could he fit into the Pacers' plans? It seems like he's wasting away in Chicago. (Michael from Tipton, Ind.)

    Answer: Davis is Chicago's highest-paid player, due $27 million over the next two seasons. He turns 36 on Oct. 31, and given his injury problems of the past couple of seasons it's unlikely he'll be able to live up to his salary. He's another example of Toronto's dilemma. The Raptors often have to over-pay players to re-sign them. They also made a major offer to Austin Croshere, which the Pacers had to beat to re-sign him in 2000.

    Still, Davis is a mature veteran who would be a welcome addition to any team. He has told people he wishes he had never left the Pacers. He probably would be happy to finish his career here, although his wife's family lives in the Chicago area and they appear to enjoy living there.

    Given his salary, however, it would be difficult for the Pacers to acquire him and fit him into their payroll structure. There's a better chance of them bringing back Dale Davis next summer, when he is a free agent and can be signed for a much lower salary than he's earning now ($10 million). He turns 36 in March. (I think that'd be nice)
    Dale Davis...Yes!
    Antonio Davis...No! :boo:

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question: How would a Shawn Bradley-Scot Pollard trade work out? It gives the Pacers a big man who blocks shots and could get some rebounds. (Phill from Brussels, Belgium)

    Answer: The salaries don't match closely enough. Pollard will be paid $5.8 million this season and Bradley will receive $4 million.
    Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
    Bradley>>>:horsedoo:

    Question: It seemed the Mavericks gave up very little to acquire Erick Dampier. Couldn't the Pacers put together a combination of players and/or picks that would have matched or been better than Dallas' offer? (Tim from Miami, Fla.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Answer: The Pacers could have given the Warriors more talent than the Mavericks did, but Chris Mullin did not want long-term contracts. He received first-round draft picks and some cash. He took on Eduardo Najera's contract, which has four years remaining, but was able to unload Evan Eschmeyer's bloated contract in return. That trade was about economics for the Warriors.

    Also, the Pacers were not willing to give Dampier a seven-year contract worth more than $70 million. They would have given him big money for fewer years, however.
    They can have him!!!!
    This :spam: could be worth more then Dampier towards the end of his contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question: What do you think about the Pacers adding some bulk to their front line by signing Marcus Fizer? He was Jamaal Tinsley's teammate in college. Although he has not had the best career in the NBA thus far, on the right team (Pacers) he could add another big body and some much needed toughness to the frontline to match up with the likes of Detroit. (Patrick from Fishers, Ind.)

    Answer: I regarded Fizer as an underrated player in Chicago. He always seemed to play well against the Pacers, at least. But he's a forward (6-8, 260), so it would be difficult to work him into the lineup. He's got one year left on a contract that will pay him $4.9 million this season, so he's certainly a tradeable player.

    I'm guessing he'll get a lot of playing time with the Charlotte Bobcats, however, and they would be reluctant to trade him. He also has legal issues for carrying a handgun.
    Guns don't kill people...People kill people, and possible trades. :devil3:

    Actually, It doesn't sound like a bad idea if we had a place to play him, and he didn't have the excess baggage.


    [edit=29=1094221796][/edit]
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  4. #4
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Rick didn't call every play when he worked for Bird. But they trusted Mark Jackson's decision-making abilities.

    Rick hasn't had a PG he trusted to call the plays since he's been a HC. But I wouldn't look at his three years of HC history and draw those types of conclusions. He's not Larry Brown, he's much more flexible.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  5. #5
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    14,862
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Where's Peck...he'll wet his pants reading this.










    well maybe not
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  6. #6
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rick didn't call every play when he worked for Bird. But they trusted Mark Jackson's decision-making abilities.
    Did "they" trust Mark Jackson or did Bird trust Mark Jackson. I don't know if its solid support to look to his asistant days on this subject, as an assistant doesn't have the freedom to run a team that a head coach does.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rick hasn't had a PG he trusted to call the plays since he's been a HC.
    Are you assuming this? Because I can't imagine you have a quote to back this up. Even if it is true, Carlisle is way too media savy to just come out and say "Yeah none of these point guards are good enough to play point." And if it is true, it seems he was wrong about Billups.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But I wouldn't look at his three years of HC history and draw those types of conclusions. He's not Larry Brown, he's much more flexible.
    Why shouldn't I look to how he has performed as a head coach to judge how he will perform as a head coach?

    And I don't see how Larry Brown fits this situation. While its true he is very stubborn and makes his point guards play a certain way (which basically amounts to "don't shoot first") he lets the point guard dictate the flow on the floor and call the plays.

    But I'm no prophet. It might be the case that Carlisle changes things and goes more up-tempo and let Tinsley run things. If he does however, it will be (IMO) out of his character and he will have changed as well as the offense.

    [edit=390=1094225540][/edit]
    [edit=390=1094225630][/edit]

  7. #7
    Expect Delays blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,779

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Question: What do you think about the Pacers adding some bulk to their front line by signing Marcus Fizer? He was Jamaal Tinsley's teammate in college. Although he has not had the best career in the NBA thus far, on the right team (Pacers) he could add another big body and some much needed toughness to the frontline to match up with the likes of Detroit. (Patrick from Fishers, Ind.)

    Answer: I regarded Fizer as an underrated player in Chicago. He always seemed to play well against the Pacers, at least. But he's a forward (6-8, 260), so it would be difficult to work him into the lineup. He's got one year left on a contract that will pay him $4.9 million this season, so he's certainly a tradeable player.

    I'm guessing he'll get a lot of playing time with the Charlotte Bobcats, however, and they would be reluctant to trade him. He also has legal issues for carrying a handgun.
    Mark is wrong here. Fizer was made an unrestricted free agent when we was drafted by the Bobcats. He is not guaranteed any amount of $ this season. I'd be all for adding him to our lineup for some extra muscle in the post. A combination of Bender, Fizer and Croshere as forwards off the bench would help negate the loss of Harrington.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

  8. #8
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rick didn't call every play when he worked for Bird. But they trusted Mark Jackson's decision-making abilities.
    Did "they" trust Mark Jackson or did Bird trust Mark Jackson. I don't know if its solid support to look to his asistant days on this subject, as an assistant doesn't have the freedom to run a team that a head coach does.
    It was widely regarded that Rick ran the offense, Harter ran the defense, and Bird dealt with managing the personalities. Bird was very hands-off. I think this subject is very relevant to the discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rick hasn't had a PG he trusted to call the plays since he's been a HC.
    Are you assuming this? Because I can't imagine you have a quote to back this up. Even if it is true, Carlisle is way too media savy to just come out and say "Yeah none of these point guards are good enough to play point." And if it is true, it seems he was wrong about Billups.
    Yeah, its an assumption I've made from watching Rick for several years and observing the types of PGs he's had to coach.

    Chauncey, for example, is fine for a shoot-first PG, I really like him, actually. But that doesn't mean he's the type of quarterback-style PG that would be good at calling the plays. Tinsley has flaws, no doubt, but his style of PG play is much closer to "quarterback."

    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But I wouldn't only look at his three years of HC history and draw those types of conclusions. He's not Larry Brown, he's much more flexible.
    Why shouldn't I look to how he has performed as a head coach to judge how he will perform as a head coach?

    And I don't see how Larry Brown fits this situation. While its true he is very stubborn and makes his point guards play a certain way (which basically amounts to "don't shoot first") he lets the point guard dictate the flow on the floor and call the plays.

    But I'm no prophet. It might be the case that Carlisle changes things and goes more up-tempo and let Tinsley run things. If he does however, it will be (IMO) out of his character and he will have changed as well as the offense.
    Sorry, I left out the word "only" (now bolded) above.

    You should look at what he's done at every level of coaching. What I meant, with the Brownie comment, is something we discussed ad nauseum last fall. Brownie has coached the same system for at least twenty years. Sure, he makes little tweaks here and there, but he's not doing much different today than he did with the Pacers a decade ago. All the long-time Pacers fans know where Rip is going to get the ball because we've seen Reggie run through those screens thousands of times.

    Last year, there was an assumption that Rick could only coach the way he coached the Pistons, and he clearly proved to have more depth and flexibility last season. I'm just saying its wrong to paint a young coach, like Rick, into a corner because he's only shown a couple of dimensions thus far.

    Rick's very good at understanding the strenghts and weaknesses of his team, and its individual players, and designing an effective gameplan. He's still not great at in-game tweaks, mind you. But if he believes he can trust Tinsley to assume more control of the offense this season, then I believe he's going to do just that.

    (Excellent points, by the way).
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  9. #9
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Yeah, I was aware that Bird delegated the actual game management to his assistants but I would still say (and its not the strongest support for my side, I will admit) that its not necessarily the case that it was Carlisle's decision to let Jackson call the plays. And the more I see Carlisle as a head coach the less weak that claim becomes.

    As for Billups (I'm trying not to be a homer but thats who Carlisle coached last year) I think its unfair to say that Billups (who Rick coached) can't run a game when he did all last year and won a championship doing it. Now it might be the case that he couldn't have done so last year under Rick (in other words, that Brown coached him into a player capable of doing so) but if so, what does that say for Carlisle?

    "Rick's very good at understanding the strenghts and weaknesses of his team, and its individual players, and designing an effective gameplan."

    In fact, he might be the best coach in the league at doing so. But I don't see the change in style from how he coached the Pistons. I have actually brought this up before and someone here said "WELL YOU CLEARLY DIDN'T WATCH ENOUGH PACER GAMES!! The offense was much freer during the season." And while this might be true, it definately wasn't true in the playoffs, its not true whenever anybody defends Tinsley saying "Ricks offense takes away from his stats", and its not true to the extent that the players all want a faster and freer offense. What was so different between the Pacer game plan last year and his Piston plan the year before that wasn't caused be the differences in the abilities on the rosters.

  10. #10
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What was so different between the Pacer game plan last year and his Piston plan the year before that wasn't caused be the differences in the abilities on the rosters.
    If I'm reading your question correctly, the answer is nothing. Rick designed a gameplan in Detroit based on the players he had. He's always going to emphasize defense first, of course. But he's going to play a defensive system based on the skills of his players. Your defense, under Rick, emphasized Ben's ability to, as I call it, play goalie. Rick used JO, who's a decent shot blocker, as the primary post defender.

    Rick's offense for the Pacers was never a thing of free-flowing beauty, but during the second half of the regular season, it was very efficient. I've got to believe that if Rick, as a head coach, had the offensive personnel of the late-1990's era Pacers, then he would coach them the same offensively as he did then.

    As for Chauncey - I think he's an example of a player that has really improved his game every single season. I'm not sure he was ready, two seasons ago, for the offense to be turned over to him. He was just coming into his own as a starter/ clutch performer. Its probably a combination of Brownie, an excellent PG coach, and Chauncey's continuted maturity as a PG.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  11. #11
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Ok but then what does this statement reference

    "Last year, there was an assumption that Rick could only coach the way he coached the Pistons, and he clearly proved to have more depth and flexibility last season. I'm just saying its wrong to paint a young coach, like Rick, into a corner because he's only shown a couple of dimensions thus far."

    What are you counting as depth and flexibility then as from what I saw, the Pacers played the same defense (tweeked a bit to fit Artest and JO) and the same type of offense (tweaked a bit to fit JO and Artest)

    And just to head-off anything, I like Carlisle and I liked him in Detroit. I would have liked to see a less (walk-it-up) offense but the only thing I questioned was why the team struggled against so many opponents in the playoffs that they were clearly more talented then (something that one might want to keep an eye out for with the Pacers in the next few years). In general I think he is one of the top coaches out there today.

  12. #12
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if I would count on that. Rick seems absolutely love calling every play.
    Depends on his personelle. He ran our offense from 98-2000, and that team was not a walk it up team that had every play called from the bench. Far from it. He can go either way, and if he says he's changing it, and what we already had was walk it up, call most plays....

  13. #13
    Member Vicious Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,207

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    I would be slow to let Tinsley run things anyway he pleased. Mel Mel's got great vision, but I don't get the vibe he has a complete understanding of the game or of Rick's vision for the offense.

    I can't say I know how Rick thinks about it one way or the other, but I would want to call the plays were I in his shoes.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

  14. #14
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    I see Jay's gone into it way better than I have/can, but I agree 100% with him.

  15. #15
    Member Vicious Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,207

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Also, the Dale Davis idea sounds great to me. I know its been said before, but Dale wouldn't have to contribute all that much on the floor if he could rub some "warrior mentality" onto JO and Foster. He is one of the true badasses in the league.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

  16. #16
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok but then what does this statement reference

    "Last year, there was an assumption that Rick could only coach the way he coached the Pistons, and he clearly proved to have more depth and flexibility last season. I'm just saying its wrong to paint a young coach, like Rick, into a corner because he's only shown a couple of dimensions thus far."

    What are you counting as depth and flexibility then as from what I saw, the Pacers played the same defense (tweeked a bit to fit Artest and JO) and the same type of offense (tweaked a bit to fit JO and Artest)

    And just to head-off anything, I like Carlisle and I liked him in Detroit. I would have liked to see a less (walk-it-up) offense but the only thing I questioned was why the team struggled against so many opponents in the playoffs that they were clearly more talented then (something that one might want to keep an eye out for with the Pacers in the next few years). In general I think he is one of the top coaches out there today.
    Oh, believe me, I have my share of concerns about Rick... Now if it was JVG, I would go to the ends of the earth to defend him.

    Before you were on here, after Rick was hired, probably up through December, there were numerous agruments on PD about Rick's flexibility (or lack thereof.)

    Rick *earned* a reputation as unflexible in Detroit.

    But I think he's demonstrated a lot of flexibility during his first season with the Pacers. Maybe he learned from his mistakes in Detroit and relaxed a litte. Maybe he was more rigid in Detroit because he felt that roster, although obviously very, very good, wasn't very flexible. I believe, based on the style and the way he coached here from 1997-2000, that it was the latter.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  17. #17
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17,541

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Rick's flexible, but just not in game. He sticks with his gameplan. Which might be good, maybe he thinks his gameplan decisions in a game might get clouded by emotion, where before a game you can analyze it calmly.

    However, I believe if Rick decides he wants to run a faster offense, he has the flexibilty to turn the offense over to Jamaal, but he just has to determine if that will make us better or worse.

    Right now, I'm not so sure. I'd probably try it at the start of the Season, see how JT does for a couple games, and if it doesn't work, we can always go back to walking it up.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  18. #18
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,259

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Dale Davis would be a great addition to the frontcourt.

    At this stage of his career I think he is really more of a backup center. But his body is in great shape & he has not lost a lot of his speed over the years, so I think he can easily be a solid backup for 4 more years.

    But for a starter we need a center who can bang with the bigger players so J.O. doesn't have to. Be able to pass from the high post. Rebound & be able to step out & hit the face up jumper from 14-18'.



    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  19. #19
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,627

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    I kinda remember a player that used to pass from the high post, rebound, and hit the face up jumper from 14-18....what happened to that guy?

    Oh...yeah, we traded him for a piece of garbage we never use.

  20. #20
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I kinda remember a player that used to pass from the high post, rebound, and hit the face up jumper from 14-18....what happened to that guy?

    Oh...yeah, we traded him for a piece of garbage we never use.
    This post is redundant.... Peck already said that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  21. #21
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17,541

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    I kinda remember a player that used to pass from the high post, rebound, and hit the face up jumper from 14-18....what happened to that guy?

    We also didn't get to the ECF with that guy, and he also fades at the end of the year, or gets hurt.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  22. #22
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,371

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Question: We have heard all of the talk about the summer league and how players are working out all over the country. What has not been addressed is your conditioning in the off-season. You were criticized globally (not meaning Sekou Smith's frame) for your lack of mobility as Shawn Bradley took full advantage of you and your laptop. What has your off-season conditioning program consisted of? (D.C. from Indianapolis)

    Answer: To the contrary, I showed amazing alertness and agility to get out of the way of Bradley's awkward dive into the scorer's table. I was light on my feet, executing a move that put the greatest of bullfighters to shame.

    However, I must admit my off-season training program has been sporadic. I work out a few days a week at the health club and swing a golf club, but haven't done anything to improve my footwork. Therefore, I plan to cover next season's Pacers-Mavericks games from the press room to avoid a reunion with Mr. Bradley Thats great
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  23. #23
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Before you were on here, after Rick was hired, probably up through December, there were numerous agruments on PD about Rick's flexibility (or lack thereof.)

    Rick *earned* a reputation as unflexible in Detroit.

    But I think he's demonstrated a lot of flexibility during his first season with the Pacers.
    I'm not trying to harp on anything here and I am not trying to argue that Carlisle isn't flexible, but you guys seem to be at a concensus that Carlisle is flexible, however I still don't see any examples of the flexibility you are talking about. (Not to say it isn't there, but rather it isn't here in this thread.) Many have responded "Rick is flexible ..." but no one has responded "Rick is flexible as shown by ..."

    From my point of view it looks like Carlisle ran the same offense and defense in Indiana that he ran in Detroit. When you say "he's flexible" what are you refering to specifically (and no I am not looking for a myriad of examples, just one would suffice). You guys were ulra-successful during the regular season so I can't see why there would have been need or where there might have been examples of flexibility there. Would the contrast between your 2000 offense and your 2004 offense be one of those examples? His moving Cro to the perimeter in the ECF? (I can't see Cro being one as you have used Brown as a counter-example, as stubburn or rigid, which I would agree with but at the same time Brown is credited with being one of the best at making adjustments like that, so the Cro move can't be an example of flexibility if the same type of move doesn't make Brown flexible, which I think it doesn't)

    I hope I haven't confused the topic, I am just looking for an example of the flexibility that you all seem to agree Carlisle has.

  24. #24
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: New Montieth Q&A - 9/3

    Okay, I'll point to one thing that happened last season ...

    Carlisle's handling of Tinsley (benching, teaching, gradually loosening up the offense).

    I think calling Carlisle "flexible" in an exaggeration. He's going to stick with what he believes in. But he's not robotic about it.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •