Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New York Jets at Indianapolis - Wild Card Weekend - 1/8/11

Default Re: New York Jets at Indianapolis - Wild Card Weekend - 1/8/11

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah real comfort we had homefield and we couldn't even defend it.

Even the 7-9 Seahawks were better how sad is that.
    Probably because I remember just hoping the Colts would win one game to avoid a winless season under Rod Dowhower. It's nice to hear anything can happen in the playoffs, but did you really think the Colts were going to make some noise against the likes of the Steeler or Pats teams?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Probably because I remember just hoping the Colts would win one game to avoid a winless season under Rod Dowhower. It's nice to hear anything can happen in the playoffs, but did you really think the Colts were going to make some noise against the likes of the Steeler or Pats teams?
    Of course not I didn't even think we'd even make the playoffs but its not too much to ask not to give the game away like the Colts did last night when you could've easily won.

Football 101.

Its easier to deal with a loss on the road than at home.

A playoff appearance doesn't cut it as long as Manning as at the helm. More should be expected. And we didn't make the most of our playoff opportunity so really why would the rest of the division envy us? We blew it yet again..
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 01-09-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Of course not I didn't even think we'd even make the playoffs but its not too much to ask not to give the game away like the Colts did last night when you could've easily won.
    Ok, did you really think our current coaching staff would allow this team to get it done?

Jim Caldwell is a really nice man and believe it or not he has been responsible for some improvements to the team. Too bad he isn't the GM instead of the coach. Then maybe the Colts would take care of that OL problem and we could have a coach that knows when and when not to take a timeout.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Ok, did you really think our current coaching staff would allow this team to get it done?

Jim Caldwell is a really nice man and believe it or not he has been responsible for some improvements to the team. Too bad he isn't the GM instead of the coach. Then maybe the Colts would take care of that OL problem and we could have a coach that knows when and when not to take a timeout.

No but I was hoping that they would play over their head goodness knows 14-0 was way over Dead Eyes Caldwell's head last season.

Like I said Manning has to demand these things in order for anything to be done.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Same old crap. Bad special teams + bad defense = loss.

Maybe this will finally be the off-season those weaknesses are addressed. Shyeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

For the second time Jim Caldwell calls a ridiculous timeout that gives Sanchez and the Jets O-coordinator time to talk about their next play which was that pass to Braylon Edwards over Jacob Lacey. Theres so many directions to point the finger at why the Colts lost but this one helped out alot.
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

I say we just put a ban on all coaches named Jim in Indy.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Same old crap. Bad special teams + bad defense = loss.

Maybe this will finally be the off-season those weaknesses are addressed. Shyeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt.
    This is exactly why I have progressively lost interest in the Colts. They have the same problems every year and Polian refuses to address them. We've had a weak defense since Polian has been here and minimal efforts have been made to correct it. Same goes with the special teams.

At least the Pacers made attempts to fix their problems in the 90s. Point guard play is bad so you get Jax from the Clips, you need a vet so you get Scott in the FA market.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Well I can't say i'm suprised as to the results. However this was a game the Colts should have won.

Offense was ok although nothing great. Special teams wasn't good atleast on the last kick return. Defense allowed them to have the ball for most of the second half and failed to step up on the Jet's last drive.

This team played similar to how they did last year. Sure they won 14 games last year (should of 16) but a lot of those games they won were close and could have easily been losses.

There were a lot of injuries this year and when you rely on one dimension of your team, passing, to carry you and some key guys get injured (Clark, Collie) you will struggle like the Colts did. They got better towards the end but it wasn't enough.

The Colts really need to improve the O-Line has already stated. The defense needs improved at nearly every position...as always.

I know that the Colts don't like to bring outsiders to the team (sign free agents). They like to draft players and fit them in to the Colts culture. While some free agents have been signed they usually are guys from Dungy's time in Tampa or they played in Indy before (not always of course). I'm ok with this but I really think the Colts need to try and get some more draft picks to fill the holes they have.

I think that if they can get most of the guys healthy, and stay healthy, they will be fine next year and in the hunt for another Superbowl.

http://kentsterling.com/2011/01/09/a...till-baffling/
    A Day Later, the Colts Timeout Is Still Baffling
    Written on January 9, 2011 by kentsterling1 Comment - Leave a comment!.by Kent Sterling

Each of the NFL head coaches are supposed to be one of the 32 smartest coaches in all of football. Colts coach Jim Caldwell is part of that group, and he did something last night that I couldnít explain, and then he explained in it a way I canít understand.

That either makes him incredibly brilliant Ė like alien brilliant Ė or (at least momentarily) idiotic.

With :29 left and the clock running in a game the Indianapolis Colts led 16-14, the Jets had the ball on the Colts 32. The Jets were going to call another run and trust the game to the foot of Nick Folk, whose 50+ yard percentage for field goals this season is 40%, and from 40-49 yards itís 50%.

The timeout gave the Jets a chance to re-evaluate, and they called a pass play to Braylon Edwards which netted them 18 yards, putting Folk in his sweet spot. From 30-39 yards, heís an 88% kicker. The timeout which served no strategic purpose put Folk in a position where he is more than twice as likely to drill a kick through the uprights Ė which he did for a 17-16 Jets win.

If this was Blackjack, Caldwell was sitting on a 16 against a dealerís 16. Thatís not a comfortable place to be. No one wants 16, but that doesnít mean you hit it when the dealer has to hit his. Force the dealer try to beat you from an uncomfortable position.

The explanation after the game, according the the transcripts of the postgame press conference was this. The question was whether Caldwell thought the Jets were going to run down the clock to attempt a field goal, ĒI didnít care. I was going to make sure they couldnít. Make them snap the ball. They were in field goal range.

ďThey were in field goal range. So we wanted to try to make them snap the ball as many times as they possibly could. Wasnít going to let them just sit there and take it down. So we used a timeout in that situation.Ē

I didnít understand the decision at the time, but held out hope that a guy paid to make calls like this might have been able to explain it with a plausible piece of logic.

If Caldwellís comments after the game are the extent of the rationale behind the timeout, I will never understand it, and I would question my own sanity if I did.

The timeout in Jacksonville early in the season that convinced the Jaguars that they might be able to do better than take knees and settle for overtime was one thing. I thought that was showing a little hubris in giving the defense a chance to make a play, and wound up leading to a game-ending 59-yard field goal by Josh Scobee.

This one was just silly, and the explanation was worse.

Coaches make a lot of tough calls. For those who watch endless NFL games, we decisions that lead to good, bad, and neutral results, but the logic behind them all makes a certain amount of sense. Football isnít brain surgery.

Last night was one of the very, very few times that I was stumped as to what the coach might be thinking at the time of the call, and it is the only time that the explanation left me even more perplexed.

Caldwell was wrong, and after the game he was bafflingly wrong. Caldwell needs to make sure Vegas is just the place he flies over to get to California. His thoughts on game theory will put him in the poor house more quickly than losing football games.

The timeout might not have made any difference. Maybe Folk drills it from 50. But it sure didnít help

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

The Colts weren't going to go far this year anyway. Not this team. I'd rather go out with a close loss to the Jets than a complete shellacking in Pittsburgh.

Next year, the Colts need to do what the Patriots did this year. Shake off a tough loss in the playoffs, regroup and return to dominance next season.

Hey, Bill, try looking at getting these accomplished in the offseason:

-It's time to cut Bob Sanders. That's a dead weight roster spot and the money can be best spent elsewhere. I'm not a doctor, but I have a feeling his injury issues are only going to get worse as he ages, not better. How many more "lost seasons" are we going to get from this guy?

-For the love of God, get some O-lineman that can create some holes for the running back. And maybe try to get a powerful, third-down running back in the mold of Jerome Bettis or Brandon Jacobs. Not being able to convert on a third-and-1 three straight times is ridiculous.

-Stock up on some better DBs. I know there were tons of injuries this year, but you can never have enough of them. Jacob Lacey has become the new Jason David. After Caldwell called that stupid timeout and I saw that Lacey was single-covered on Edwards, I knew exactly who the Jets were going to.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aw Heck For This Useful Post:

hopefully it wont be another year for us to see playoffs in indy

we need both of our teams good
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Robin Miller poster this on Facebook:
    Robin Miller
    It's my 10-year anniversary of being fired from The Indianapolis Star by The Gannett Nazis and one of the things I miss most is not having a column so I can comment on the Colts, Pacers, etc. But Jim Caldwell's timeout Saturday night with 29 seconds left was one of the dumbest moves of all time and nobody in this town has the balls to call him on it.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

It wasn't just the timeout, either. The challenge early in the game was baffling, as well.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    The Colts weren't going to go far this year anyway. Not this team. I'd rather go out with a close loss to the Jets than a complete shellacking in Pittsburgh.

Next year, the Colts need to do what the Patriots did this year. Shake off a tough loss in the playoffs, regroup and return to dominance next season.

Hey, Bill, try looking at getting these accomplished in the offseason:

-It's time to cut Bob Sanders. That's a dead weight roster spot and the money can be best spent elsewhere. I'm not a doctor, but I have a feeling his injury issues are only going to get worse as he ages, not better. How many more "lost seasons" are we going to get from this guy?

-For the love of God, get some O-lineman that can create some holes for the running back. And maybe try to get a powerful, third-down running back in the mold of Jerome Bettis or Brandon Jacobs. Not being able to convert on a third-and-1 three straight times is ridiculous.

-Stock up on some better DBs. I know there were tons of injuries this year, but you can never have enough of them. Jacob Lacey has become the new Jason David. After Caldwell called that stupid timeout and I saw that Lacey was single-covered on Edwards, I knew exactly who the Jets were going to.
    This, this, a million times, THIS.

My girlfriend, the Razorback fan she is, thinks we need DeMarcus Love, but after Tony Ugoh...

I'm disappointed in the entire team. Questionable coaching, poor ST, mediocre at best D, and an offense that only mustered up three FG in the second half when it's supposed to be the strength of the team.

I don't care that there were injuries. This was a winnable game at home. No, I didn't expect us to get beyond Pittsburgh at all. That's one of the few things that makes this loss sting a little less. It doesn't, however, take away from the utter impotence of our play against NY.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This is exactly why I have progressively lost interest in the Colts. They have the same problems every year and Polian refuses to address them. We've had a weak defense since Polian has been here and minimal efforts have been made to correct it. Same goes with the special teams.

At least the Pacers made attempts to fix their problems in the 90s. Point guard play is bad so you get Jax from the Clips, you need a vet so you get Scott in the FA market.
    I've got to agree with this one hundred percent. I'm tired of the lip service that's been paid to all these glaring holes that have been here for YEARS and every off season it's the same thing. You've got special teams that are below average when it comes to kick coverage, and have been for ages. You've had an offense that is completely unable to get short yardage on 3rd down rushing the ball and have been for ages. You've got an undersized defense with mostly mediocre players because it's all about the pass rush. What if they don't pass? What if you don't get heat on the QB? Every year it's the same crap..."We're going to address XXXXX in the offseason".

I'm kind of done with it all. My first Colts game was vs. the Jets during the era when we had the 49ers new head coach as our QB and the Magic Man was his backup.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

As baffling as the timeout was, Caldwell's explanation for it is even more troubling....

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...make-any-sense

"I didn't care," he said. "I was going to make sure that they couldn't. Make them snap the ball. They were in field-goal range. So we wanted to try to make them snap the ball as many times as they possibly could. I wasn't going to let them just sit there and take it (the clock) down. So we used a timeout in that situation."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My reaction on Saturday night looked just like Peyton's reaction. I was just dumbfounded by the decision. They had 29 seconds to go and they were content on just kicking the field goal. Kravitz has quotes from the jets players saying they were just going to run it up the gut one more time, but Caldwell gave them the chance to look at where they were and come up with a different play.

He did this against the Jags and it cost us that game as well. They were just playing for OT and we called a stupid time out and Jack Del Rio said what the hell lets kick it and they won.

I did not expect this team to go to the Super Bowl given how depleted we were offensively and defensively, but when you have the game in your hand and blow it like this it just hurts.

I think next year needs to be the deciding year on Caldwell's tenure here. Get some help on the OL and get everyone helathy and if we are one and done again then get rid of him.

I just hate seeing another year of Manning wasted.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Manning turns 35 (yikes!) in just two months. He will be in his 14th season next year.

Will the glaring weaknesses that have been around for years be addressed this off-season? I suspect they'll play the injury card and most problems will be swept under the rug. We'll be sitting here next January pondering the same thing (well maybe not if there's a lockout).

How depressing would it be if there was no 2011 season and all of the sudden it's 2012 and Manning is 36?

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

This game didn't sting as much for me because I'm still p!ssed about the Super Blunder game where we were out coached.

As stated before I like Caldwell and he did have the balls to let Meeks go elsewhere. I still believe Coyer is a pretty good coach and Crazy Ray is still better than Pernell IMHO. Like everyone I'm really confused on how Caldwell has used timeouts and for me that's enough for him to go now. Peyton and the other assorted Vets really pulled this team through.

DaveP63 has hit the nail head that the lip service no longer can be tolerated. You know where the problem areas exist and the Colts do have enough pull a free agent will listen to offers. As others have suggested, Polian is riding on a reputation from a number of years ago and Manning's coat tail.

I think if Polian is replaced a lot of other things begin to fall into place. But it's kind of gotten past the point this all should be happening. It would've been a lot easier to make wholesale changes a few years ago when the end of the Manning era wasn't staring us in the face. The "There's always next year" mantra is running out of steam.

...Of course better late than never....

If we had the players to stop the run then maybe Caldwell's questionable timeouts don't come into play.

If we don't start the season counting on Bob Sanders then maybe we can actually have the depth we need so that injuries don't trickle down to the point they really put the kibosh on special teams...

IOW.... I think it's more important that we replace Polian than Caldwell and attack things with different personnel and personnel ideas. Although, a new GM might find he needs to replace Caldwell too.... at some point. The 'at some point' is the problem because the Manning era doesn't have many years left to be evaluating coaches and schemes...
    Last edited by Bball; 01-10-2011 at 09:51 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    As baffling as the timeout was, Caldwell's explanation for it is even more troubling....

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...make-any-sense

"I didn't care," he said. "I was going to make sure that they couldn't. Make them snap the ball. They were in field-goal range. So we wanted to try to make them snap the ball as many times as they possibly could. I wasn't going to let them just sit there and take it (the clock) down. So we used a timeout in that situation."
    I'm really not sure what he means? Does he expect the offense to get the ball back? I don't get it.

I didn't expect them to go anywhere this year with all the injuries (Collie and Powers, in particular), but it's really becoming annoying watching Polian slowly waste Manning's career.

I think I understand what Caldwell was thinking. He had faith in his Defense. If we can force them to snap the ball 2 times instead of just one then the FG. 2 chances to force a fumble, negative yards if we know there going to run it up the middle, or with the way Sanchez had been throwing the ball all night an interception/Sack.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to BSparkman For This Useful Post: