Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New York Jets at Indianapolis - Wild Card Weekend - 1/8/11

Default Re: New York Jets at Indianapolis - Wild Card Weekend - 1/8/11

Quote Originally Posted by BSparkman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I understand what Caldwell was thinking. He had faith in his Defense. If we can force them to snap the ball 2 times instead of just one then the FG. 2 chances to force a fumble, negative yards if we know there going to run it up the middle, or with the way Sanchez had been throwing the ball all night an interception/Sack.
    I can follow that except they were probably running the same number of plays either way. So he could've still had faith in the defense and just not given the Jets time to actually formulate a plan and discuss it on the sidelines. ...plus he took hurrying out of the equation for the Jets.

I guess he could argue they took the bait and did what he wanted them to do... put the ball in the air.... but then they easily made the play so he gets the goat horns for it.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BSparkman View Post
    I think I understand what Caldwell was thinking. He had faith in his Defense. If we can force them to snap the ball 2 times instead of just one then the FG. 2 chances to force a fumble, negative yards if we know there going to run it up the middle, or with the way Sanchez had been throwing the ball all night an interception/Sack.
    This was indeed his thinking. I saw him say it on TV.

It was still wrong though.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I think if Polian is replaced a lot of other things begin to fall into place. But it's kind of gotten past the point this all should be happening. It would've been a lot easier to make wholesale changes a few years ago when the end of the Manning era wasn't staring us in the face. The "There's always next year" mantra is running out of steam.

...Of course better late than never....

If we had the players to stop the run then maybe Caldwell's questionable timeouts don't come into play.

If we don't start the season counting on Bob Sanders then maybe we can actually have the depth we need so that injuries don't trickle down to the point they really put the kibosh on special teams...

IOW.... I think it's more important that we replace Polian than Caldwell and attack things with different personnel and personnel ideas. Although, a new GM might find he needs to replace Caldwell too.... at some point. The 'at some point' is the problem because the Manning era doesn't have many years left to be evaluating coaches and schemes...

Agreed.

Whether it's Dungy or Caldwell, whether it's Meeks or Coyer, or whether it's Purnell or Rychleski........the same basic problems have always existed. That falls on who is putting the rosters together.

I've said it before and I've said it again: When you draft as badly as we have since 2007, it's especially hard to be an elite team. Seriously, go back and look at the last four drafts. They are horrible. Thus, I don't think it's a coincidence that we've been one and done in 3 out of the 4 years since the Super Bowl. When you have the injuries we've had combined with bad drafts it's hard to go far in the playoffs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Robin Miller poster this on Facebook:
    Robin Miller
    It's my 10-year anniversary of being fired from The Indianapolis Star by The Gannett Nazis and one of the things I miss most is not having a column so I can comment on the Colts, Pacers, etc. But Jim Caldwell's timeout Saturday night with 29 seconds left was one of the dumbest moves of all time and nobody in this town has the balls to call him on it.
    Kravitz has blasted Jim Caldwell on it. Check the Monday Indy Star
    BUILT, NOT BOUGHT

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smith View Post
    Kravitz has blasted Jim Caldwell on it. Check the Monday Indy Star

It wasn't much of one if you see his report card he blamed the offense for not scoring more points.

While it would be nice to score more than 16 the Jets do have a good defense and when your offense puts you in the lead and doesn't turn the ball over the least the ST could do is make a tackle.

I know many are upset by the timeout but that was the least of the problems since the Jets were in/very close to field goal range.

Had the offense gotten another first down on that last drive, had special teams not allowed the huge kick return, had the defense prevented the first downs on the Jet's last drive or just hadn't given up the big plays then the timeout wouldn't have happened or matter.

If we don't start the season counting on Bob Sanders then maybe we can actually have the depth we need so that injuries don't trickle down to the point they really put the kibosh on special teams...
    I'm not going to disagree that Sanders was a wasted roster spot for too long, but with the rash of injuries this team went thru this year, one spot wasn't going to make a difference.

I really hope that Collie's career is not cut short by his concussion problems. He was looking GREAT early on this year.

With the emergence of Tamme, Peyton will be able to return to his favored 2TE set next season.

We need to draft heavy on defensive talent and try to sign a few bargain vets to round out the O- and D-lines. If we can go from "pitiful" to "decent" in the trenches, we should be in the running for a SB next year.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post: