Thread: Eddie White now working for the Pacers.

Default Eddie White now working for the Pacers.

http://www.ibj.com/the-score/2010/12...AMS/post/24266

Pacers hire on-air personality to bolster corporate outreach
    Anthony SchoettleDecember 28, 2010
    Sports-talk radio host Eddie White said he is leaving the airwaves to focus solely on his new job.
    A familiar face, or rather voice, has joined the Indiana Pacers this month as director of corporate communications.

Radio talk show host Eddie White took his new post Dec. 20, and promises to ratchet up corporate outreach for the Blue and Gold. He will report directly to Pacers Vice President of Corporate and Public Relations Greg Schenkel.

From 2008-09, White co-hosted an afternoon drive-time talk show on WFNI-AM 1070, with Indianapolis Star sports columnist Bob Kravitz. That duo was later replaced by John Gliva, known by his on-air handle JMV.

White stayed on part-time with the local Emmis Communications’ sports-talk radio station, and while Emmis market manager Charlie Morgan said he expects White to continue part-time, White said his No. 1 priority is the Pacers.

“I don’t think I’ll do the radio any time soon,” White said. “My focus is with the Pacers. I’m amped up about this, and there’s a lot of work to be done.”

Though White may be best known for the two plus years he’s been on the air, he has a longer history working on the team-side of sports.

During the early part of his career, White worked for one of the best-known collegiate sports marketers, University of Notre Dame sports information director Roger Valdiserri.

In addition to his stint in South Bend, White also worked as the director of public relations and marketing for the Miami Dolphins before embarking in 1989 on a 20-year career with Logo 7, which morphed several times before being acquired by Reebok. At Reebok, White was the liaison between the company and all 32 of its National Football League team clients.

At Reebok, White became well-known among players, coaches and front office executives. It was his longing for contact with a team’s players, coaches, executives and corporate partners that drove White back to working for a professional team, he said.

“I wanted to get back to the team side,” White said. “I’ve really missed that. I’ve known Herb and Mel Simon a long time, and this opportunity just came up. When it did, I didn’t hesitate. The Pacers have so many great untold stories. I’m available and eager to help any department here that I can.”

White said he will work closely with the team’s corporate partners, but also hopes to work with Pacers’ marketer Conrad Brunner on some special features for the team’s Web site.

"Conrad does a great job and has some really good ideas for the Web site," White said. "I can't wait to get in there and help any way that I can."

White has some history with the Pacers and basketball. His wife’s parents have been season ticket holders since 1967. White’s grandfather, was a long-time basketball coach, working with the likes of former University of Iowa and USC coach George Raveling and Bob Knight mentor Clair Bee.

“This is a dream job for me,” White said. “Working for a team I love in a sport I love. My feet haven’t touched the ground in a week.”

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Eddie White now working for the Pacers.

Yep, he's there and so far has gotten some local exposure for Area 55.

I think he'll be good at this job, nice hire by the Pacers.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Eddie, MY MAN!!!! HOW THE HECK ARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope it works, it may keep him off the radio.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not sure he had anything to do with it or not but Area 55 had Channel 13 in the stands doing a story about them at the last game. If that was on Eddie White, then I'd say he is already earning his paycheck.
    Grown Man Ball

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with the majority opinion (so far) about this.

I look at it as a step backwards.

To me, and this is just a personal opinion, he was one of the most irritating people I have ever listened to. Were he to try to sell to me, I'd get tired of hearing him in about two seconds, then ask him to please just leave.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he'll be good at this job, nice hire by the Pacers.
    Kellogg now White? Nicely done.

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure he had anything to do with it or not but Area 55 had Channel 13 in the stands doing a story about them at the last game. If that was on Eddie White, then I'd say he is already earning his paycheck.
    Yup, that was all Eddie. He took the time to meet with a few of us after a game and was really great. I guess he really likes the Area 55 concept. I wasn't a huge fan of the radio show, but he is so energetic in person I am hoping it will rub off on others. He's a really nice guy in person.... plus he's connected which doesn't hurt.

didn't like when white got sidetracked on the radio but the guy is a genuinely nice man and cares about the pacers. don't mind the hire one bit.