Thread: Rex Ryan to Peyton Manning: Its Personal

Default Rex Ryan to Peyton Manning: Its Personal

I hope feet aren't involved

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...e=NFLHeadlines

Ryan to Peyton Manning: 'It's personal'Email Print Comments207 By Rich Cimini
    Report a bug ,
    New York Jets
    Buffalo Bills
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Rex Ryan will be confronted Saturday night by his No. 1 tormentor -- Peyton Manning. After being dominated by the Indianapolis Colts' quarterback throughout his coaching career, Ryan expects a role reversal in their AFC wild-card matchup.

AFC Playoff Picture
    The Chiefs are limping, the Colts are rolling and the Patriots are still the Patriots. John Clayton breaks down the AFC playoff picture: 10 Questions

• 2011 NFL Playoffs schedule
    • Blog: AFC quick takes
    • AFC blog network:
    East | North | South | West

"I don't know when I'm going to beat him, but I want it to be Saturday night," the New York Jets' coach said Monday, looking ahead to a rematch of last season's AFC Championship Game. "Is it personal? Yes, it's personal. It's personal against him, Reggie Wayne, all those guys, yeah. (Dwight) Freeney and (Robert) Mathis and those other dudes? Absolutely."

Quite simply, Manning has owned Ryan. Since 2005, against Ryan-coached defenses with the Baltimore Ravens and Jets, Manning is 5-1, with 12 touchdown passes and only two interceptions.

The loss deserves an asterisk because it came last December, when Manning was pulled with a third-quarter lead. The Colts wound up losing with the unproven Curtis Painter at quarterback. At the time, the then-undefeated Colts wanted to rest their starters for the playoffs.

Manning exacted payback in the AFC title game, throwing for 377 yards and three touchdowns in a 30-17 victory over the overmatched Jets. Manning is 2-0 versus Ryan in the postseason, including a win over the Ravens in the 2006 divisional round.

Jets blog
    Looking for more on
    the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog
    Jets Center

"You lose a playoff game, it's devastating," Ryan said. "I want to put the shoe on the other foot. I know this team does, too. We want him to experience it this time."

Ryan took a swipe at Manning's former coach, NBC analyst Tony Dungy, who said Sunday night on the air that blitz-oriented defenses like the Jets and Ravens aren't suited to beating Manning.

"I don't think you can beat Peyton Manning with a defense that's just trying to fool you," Dungy said.

Told of Dungy's comments, Ryan responded, "When you get out there [in the media], you've got all the answers, but you don't have to play anymore. I respect everybody's opinions, but the only one I care about is my own."

Ryan and Dungy had a war of words over the summer, when Dungy criticized Ryan's use of profanity in the HBO reality series, "Hard Knocks." Dungy accepted an invitation from Ryan to visit with him, which occurred in September, at the Jets' facility.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rex Ryan to Peyton Manning: Its Personal

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Told of Dungy's comments, Ryan responded, "When you get out there [in the media], you've got all the answers, but you don't have to play anymore. I respect everybody's opinions, but the only one I care about is my own."
    Considering Dungy was the coach for 4 of those 5 wins against Rex, I'd say he had the answers when he was coaching too.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Love him or hate him, Rex Ryan makes it more fun and interesting.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, c'mon Peyton, let's give him another taste of de-feet!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

"You lose a playoff game, it's devastating," Ryan said. "I want to put the shoe on the other foot. I know this team does, too. We want him to experience it this time."
    Probably not the best choice of words considering his recent bout with the gossip pages...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

If I were Peyton I'd keep the old shoes and socks on whenever coach Ryan is half-way near him.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably not the best choice of words considering his recent bout with the gossip pages...
    That was indeed a very foot-in-mouth situation........