Thread: Eric Mangini fired

Default Eric Mangini fired

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/03/e...veland-browns/

Eric Mangini Fired as Coach of Browns.By Pat McManamon
    Senior Writer | Follow on Twitter: @PatMcManamon
    Text SizeAAAPrint this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on LifestreamEric Mangini was fired by the Browns after two 5-11 seasons as coach, a move that was expected. The team made the announcement just after 10 a.m. ET.

Team president Mike Holmgren released a statement that read: "This decision was not easy for me, and it was one into which I put a great deal of thought. Although we have made improvements this season, my responsibility is to ensure that we establish a program that will allow this team to compete at a championship level. That will continue to be our goal in everything we do. I want to thank Eric for all of his contributions to the Cleveland Browns, and wish him and his family the best of luck in the future."

There was no word about who would replace Mangini, although speculation will center on Holmgren -- until he officially states he will not coach. ESPN's Chris Mortensen said Holmgren would go through a "full process" in hiring the next coach, a statement that would indicate Holmgren does not intend to return to the sidelines.

If he doesn't, Jon Gruden, John Fox and Marty Mornhinweg would be among the certain candidates.

Mangini was quoted in the statement, and was gracious.

"The experience coaching the Cleveland Browns the past two years has been tremendous," he said. "I appreciate the opportunity that the Lerner family gave me. I have a deep respect for the players that I have coached the past two years and how they have made a profound difference in changing the culture -- a tougher, smarter, more competitive, selfless team that never gave up. Our goal was to build a team for long-term success. The core characteristics we were dedicated to, I believe, will help achieve that goal, and have provided a strong identity for this football team and have helped to create a positive foundation upon which the organization can continue to build.

"I feel strongly that the Cleveland Browns are headed in a very positive direction and greatly value the commitment and exceptional efforts of the coaches, players and everyone in the building that I've worked with in trying to help achieve our goals. My family and I have thoroughly enjoyed living in the Cleveland community and appreciate the support and passion of the fans. I know Mike and Tom are also dedicated to building a championship caliber organization and wish them nothing but success."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Eric Mangini fired

Not sure I agree with this. I think the way the Browns bounced back after that slow start should have earned him one more season.

woman without a team

I'm starting to think Mike Holmgren is fast approaching Brett Favre in stupid decisions. If he hires Marty Mornhinweg it's offical...Holgrem is INSANE!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm starting to think Mike Holmgren is fast approaching Brett Favre in stupid decisions. If he hires Marty Mornhinweg it's offical...Holgrem is INSANE!!!!
    Why? Mornhinweg played QB under Holmgren in HS, so he probably knows him the best out of everyone in the NFL.

You really can't put all the blame on his Det. stint on him, Matt Millen was his GM, and he couldn't even find talent with top 5 picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Why? Mornhinweg played QB under Holmgren in HS, so he probably knows him the best out of everyone in the NFL.

You really can't put all the blame on his Det. stint on him, Matt Millen was his GM, and he couldn't even find talent with top 5 picks.

I will always remember him for that epic fail of winning the coin toss in OT vs the Bears and then letting the Bears have the ball and they went on to win the game.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

And I'll always rememeber Bill Belichick going for it on 4th and 2 on the road against Indy......

Sure, both were stupid decisions, but he shouldn't pay for that decision for the rest of his life. People pick themselves up after dumb mistakes every single day.

And I'll always rememeber Bill Belichick going for it on 4th and 2 on the road against Indy......

Sure, both were stupid decisions, but he shouldn't pay for that decision for the rest of his life. People pick themselves up after dumb mistakes every single day.

I'm not saying he should "pay" I'm saying that's all I ever remembered about him. At least Belchick has had SB wins to fall back on.

4th and 2 I actually understood why he believed he would get it our defense isn't spectacular I can see why he think he would get it but at the same time since they had the lead I wouldn't have gone for it.

Then it still doesn't answer my "why?" question. Why would Holmgren be insane to hire him?

woman without a team

Then it still doesn't answer my "why?" question. Why would Holmgren be insane to hire him?
    Because the Mornhinweg is a terrible coach, that's why. If Holmgren wants someone to say yes to everything he wants he should just coach the team himself.

You do realize that Andy Reid has only given play calling duties to one assistant coach, ever right? And that person is Mornhinweg.

I didn't know pure "yes men" actually got to make their own calls, free from their superior.

woman without a team

As a head coach Mornhinweg sucked. I suppose there's a chance he might be better than he used to be, but considering the Browns were getting better under Mangini I don't think it's a smart move.

Yeah, he sucked as a coach for the Lions.......with Matt Millen as his GM.

Like I said earlier, Millen couldn't even get his first round picks correctly. I don't care how good of a coach you are, if your GM can't even land you a first round pick consistently, then you're F'ed from the get go.

Plus, a lot of coaches struggle at their first head coaching positions.

Yeah, he sucked as a coach for the Lions.......with Matt Millen as his GM.

Like I said earlier, Millen couldn't even get his first round picks correctly. I don't care how good of a coach you are, if your GM can't even land you a first round pick consistently, then you're F'ed from the get go.

Plus, a lot of coaches struggle at their first head coaching positions.

Yet Tony Dungy, Tom Landry and Bill Walsh will say otherwise I agree with Lions management not many could thrive but it is interesting how nobody has even given him a shot since then.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You do realize that Andy Reid has only given play calling duties to one assistant coach, ever right? And that person is Mornhinweg.

I didn't know pure "yes men" actually got to make their own calls, free from their superior.
    Just gonna say this, I don't really like the play calling for the Eagles. I will say this, Mornhinweg is better than Brad Childress. But I just don't see it being a happy marriage of him in Cleveland. Mornhinweg does a good job with elite talent like McNabb, Vick, Jackson, Westbrook and so on. Cleveland needs somebody that can take that team, work closely with Holmgren, and build it up. I don't think Mornhinweg is the right choice for that.

Also did Mangini deserve another chance? Maybe, but remember hes not a Holmgren hire. Holmgren wants someone he hand picks and thats what hurt Mangini the most I think.

If he does get the job, and is a bust, I think you have to remove Holmgren. I should have made that more clear.

Holmgren knows him the best, so he should be realistic in his strengths/weaknesses and shouldn't be hoodwinked through the interview process like some candidates do. If Holmgren is going to hire him, he better be damn sure it's the right choice.

But really, I couldn't care any less. If the Browns sucked for the next 20years, it wouldn't impact me the slightest.