Thread: Let Josh McRoberts Dunk 2011

Mood

Sports Logo

Default Let Josh McRoberts Dunk 2011

I'm really looking forward to this video, let alone the dunks Josh plans to execute; IndyStar

The campaign to get Indiana Pacers forward Josh McRoberts into this year's slam dunk contest during All-Star weekend is about to begin.

McRoberts and teammate Brandon Rush filmed a scene from the movie "White Men Can't Jump" for a video they plan to post on a website in the near future because McRoberts wants to take part in his first dunk competition.

"I grew up watching the dunk contest. Now I want my part in it," the high-flying McRoberts said. "It'll be fun being in it if it happens."
    There's more via the link. And here's a little teaser pic, in case you didn't catch it before:

There's a lot to be said about the dunk contest, at least by me. I've missed having a Pacers jersey in the competition since Fred Jones "dominated" in '04, and from the looks of it, both McRoberts and rookie Paul George are looking to be in this year, for which I can't be more excited. That is, as long as they don't reenact the JR Smith-Chris Andersen teammate "fiasco" from 2005.

In addition to those two, I think it goes without saying that Blake Griffin will be a shoe-in for the contest, especially since 2011 All-Star Weekend will take place in Los Angeles. Since former champ Dwight Howard and 3-time champ Nate Robinson have had their respective times, they've decided to back out, allowing a new class of dunkers.

So what about JMac and George wanting to be in the dunk contest? Usually, the NBA chooses due to number and intensity of dunks per game, so George may be incredibly disadvantaged if he can't come up with playing time. And though that isn't his fault, he may have to show his dedication and passion by providing more proof for his inception into this year's dunk contest. Besides these guys, who else do you want to see in the Sprite comp this year? I've got plenty of choices, but I want to hear other suggestions first. Also, any evidence why your player should be in the contest would be greatly appreciated (i.e. footage, YouTube, etc.).
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Let Josh McRoberts Dunk 2011

Love the signature.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-300880

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Freeman, Yahoo Sports
    For most of his basketball career, Pacers forward Josh McRoberts(notes) has been a punchline rather than a quality player. At Duke, he was easy to mock, and in the NBA he struggled to find minutes. It wasn't exactly a great outcome for a player who was once rated as the best player in the high school class of 2005.

This season, McRoberts has trended towards respectability while starting all 26 of his games for Indiana. In fact, he wants to give himself an even larger profile by participating in February's dunk contest at All-Star Weekend. Don't worry, he has a great plan to boost his campaign.

Mike Wells has the story at IndyStar.com:
    McRoberts and teammate Brandon Rush(notes) filmed a scene from the movie "White Men Can't Jump" for a video they plan to post on a website in the near future because McRoberts wants to take part in his first dunk competition. [...]
    McRoberts played the part of Woody Harrelson's character, Billy Hoyle, and Rush was Wesley Snipes' character, Sidney Deane.
    "We're trying to get our man Josh into the contest," Rush said. "It was fun taking part in it. Everybody should like it."
    The scene, which was filmed at McRoberts' house, was from when Harrelson and Snipes are leaning on a graffiti wall at the end of the movie.
    McRoberts and Rush ordered the clothes Harrelson and Snipes wore in the scene off eBay.

I'm guessing that McRoberts has better moves up his sleeve than Harrelson's lone dunk in the film (whoops, SPOILER ALERT), so it might be a mistake to align himself with a player who only completes one supremely awkward dunk on an eight-foot rim over the course of an 115-minute film. This is to say nothing of the fact that Brandon Rush decided to play a part originated by an actor who just entered prison for a three-year sentence.

On the other hand, this video promises McRoberts and Rush wearing hilarious early '90s shorts, tanktops and hats. Would you want to keep someone with that sense of humor out of the dunk contest? Put that man in the contest right now, so long as he wears the same outfit while he dunks.

As soon as it's available, we will obviously post this video on BDL. Keep your eyes peeled for the magic.
    I've heard that the video and the website (joshcandunk.com) should be up and running very soon. They are currently finishing up the editing. The production crew that films Kanye West's music videos flew in to produce the video.

Having Sekou Smith as his biggest fan will be a huge help, but I really hope the NBA takes notice of the effort that Josh is putting into trying to get into the contest. He seems to have the desire and passion for dunking that the dunk contest has been lacking the last few years.

Plus Brandon Rush and his high-top fade as Sidney Deane? Perfect.
    Last edited by Mackey_Rose; 12-28-2010 at 08:20 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

All they need to do is watch this and he's a shoe-in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFfSUkC0Xzw
    Last edited by DGPR; 12-28-2010 at 07:55 AM.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ign-has-begun/

Quote Originally Posted by John Krolik, NBC Sports

After last year’s disaster of a dunk contest, everybody is hoping that this year’s dunk contest competitors will do something special. Most people are hoping that Clippers rookie Blake Griffin and his CGI hops will be the one to save the dunk contest in his home arena, but Pacers forward Josh McRoberts wants to have a chance to bring the magic back to the contest. Take it away, Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star:

The campaign to get Indiana Pacers forward Josh McRoberts into this year’s slam dunk contest during All-Star weekend is about to begin.

McRoberts and teammate Brandon Rush filmed a scene from the movie “White Men Can’t Jump” for a video they plan to post on a website in the near future because McRoberts wants to take part in his first dunk competition.

“I grew up watching the dunk contest. Now I want my part in it,” the high-flying McRoberts said. “It’ll be fun being in it if it happens.”

McRoberts played the part of Woody Harrelson’s character, Billy Hoyle, and Rush was Wesley Snipes’ character, Sidney Deane.
    “We’re trying to get our man Josh into the contest,” Rush said. “It was fun taking part in it. Everybody should like it.”

One of the best ways to keep the dunk contest from sucking again is to make sure the invited dunkers really want to be there, because innovative and well-rehearsed dunks are often more impressive than somebody just showing off their vertical leap — Shannon Brown was invited because of a fan campaign, and ended up using the same dunks he’d used in the 2003 High School dunk contest. And as far as dunk contest campaigns go, McRoberts’ is fairly creative. If McRoberts puts as much time into his dunks as he has into his campaigning, inviting him to the contest might not be the worst idea.
    His campaign is certainly getting a fair amount of national publicity. I just hope he can get some playing time so he can keep showing off his dunking chops.

I wish Paul could go with him.

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-300880

I've heard that the video and the website (joshcandunk.com) should be up and running very soon. They are currently finishing up the editing. The production crew that films Kanye West's music videos flew in to produce the video.

Having Sekou Smith as his biggest fan will be a huge help, but I really hope the NBA takes notice of the effort that Josh is putting into trying to get into the contest. He seems to have the desire and passion for dunking that the dunk contest has been lacking the last few years.

Plus Brandon Rush and his high-top fade as Sidney Deane? Perfect.
    Seeing Josh get some recognition for his campaign, as well as his skills, is great. I'm only a little disappointed that, as a filmmaker/producer/editor, I couldn't work on this video. I'd have done it for free. But hey, Kanye West's crew is probably a talented collection of guys.

I hope JO'B can give Josh some more time tonight, especially since he's our starting power forward. Obviously, he'll have to prove he can stay out there for more than 8 minutes. Regardless, I have a feeling that JMac's in-game dunks are going to get a little more graphic. And with that said, I hope he gets the chance to show them off a bit. Maybe we can start doing an Orlando Magic dunk-line during warmups. It'd be a good way to get the near-sold-out crowd on their feet during what might be one of the bigger games of the year.

I never get tired of this:

One of the first games I went to last season, I "told" Hansbrough (from the balcony) to do a sick dunk. He immediately (literally) did a 360 windmill, a la Vince Carter of legend. It wouldn't hurt to let all the guys do a few dunks at the beginning of the game. Someone just needs to encourage them.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Didn't josh dominate the mcdonalds slam dunk contest in high school?
    Bambam

Follow me on Twitter @http://twitter.com/brockhubble

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Didn't josh dominate the mcdonalds slam dunk contest in high school?
    He got beat in overtime by Gerald Green.

But Gerald has won an NBA dunk contest so he didn't exactly embarrass himself a la TJ Ford.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson