Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yao's expiring contract on the trade block

Default Re: Yao's expiring contract on the trade block

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    China already loves us.
    Well you missed my point completely, but all this thread including my post is weak speculation, so no big deal.

You made me interested though, how come Pacers are popular in China? Is this based on any facts?

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Philadelphia seems like a logical trade partner.
    Which possible trade are you thinking about?

Per Feigen, the teams that showed more interested were Charlotte and Sacramento.

The Rockets have spoken with Sacramento, which has the sort of young talent the Rockets would seek, and Charlotte, which would more likely have to include attractive draft picks along with contracts, according to one individual familiar with the talks.

The Kings have been steadfast in a refusal to deal first-round pick DeMarcus Cousins, despite a rocky start.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/7355667.html

I'm a little surprised at some of the Yao trade rumors. I think it's assumed that Yao won't play again, so why would a team offer a 1st. round pick or a player like Cousins for Yao. I don't see him having any more value then an expiring contract that you don't plan on keeping and I wouldn't expect the Pacers to be able to trade Ford or Dun for Cousins or a player combined with a 1st. round pick. Does the insurance money make Yao's contract that much more valuable then an expiring contract?

Here is some info on the pacers fans in China, they do love us there.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/china_fans_090921.html

and the chinese pacers website
    http://chinapacers.com/

And look at this our roster after the trade, we get younger, and we get depth at those position we need most. Then to top it off we get a gamble on Yao, and a ton of cash (which we need) in the mean time. This deal could only help our team.

pg: Collison, Aj, Lance
    sg: Brush, Mike, Budinger
    sf: Granger, George, Jeffries
    pf: Tyler, Patterson, McBob
    C: Hibbert, Rolle, Yao

I would love to get any deal that involves the following rockets

Lowry, Lee, Hill, Martin, Budinger, Williams, Patterson, Scola,
    "Did we learn anything?"-Jonathan Ames

"No, but thats okay, It's a good thing to stay in the dark about things - it keeps life more interesting."- George Christopher

Well that article talks about 'lonely' and 'few' Pacers fans in China. Lost among hordes of fans of other teams. Connecting together through a website with 240 visitors. In a 1 billion country. This article doesn't exactly scream 'Pacers are loved in China'.

I don't know if this is accurate, it would seem counterintuitive to me that a country that follows NBA so much cares about Pacers so little. I don't see any reason why Pacers would be loved in China, but hey, 1 fan for every 4000 000 people in a country that loves NBA? That sounds even worse than I thought.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The logical question would be, "What teams are loved?" I would suspect that most teams are as poorly followed as the Pacers in China. I would suspect that teams featuring Chinese stars like Yao and Yi have large fan bases as well as west coast teams like the Lakers.

As for your deal, of course man. Noone argues that it won't help the Pacers. But if we can trade old-ish expirings for Yao, force Rockets to take on Posey's salary for 2012, and then trade 1st and 2nd picks for two young lottery picks who still have good potential in the same deal...
    Lets just trade Posey for Blake Griffin instead. Foster for John Wall. And TJ for Kevin Durant!
    Last edited by ballism; 12-29-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ryheathco View Post
    The logical question would be, "What teams are loved?" I would suspect that most teams are as poorly followed as the Pacers in China. I would suspect that teams featuring Chinese stars like Yao and Yi have large fan bases as well as west coast teams like the Lakers.
    Well, exactly. I keep reading that Rockets, Kobe and Yi Jianlian teams have great following. Considering endorsement deals that get reported sometimes, Kobe's China-oriented shoe lines and the like, I'd suspect the following of these few teams is huge. But I'm yet to see any decent source that would indicate strong fan base in China for Pacers or most other teams. Much less 'love'. Asian American attendance to your home games does not necessarily indicate that your team is loved in China.