Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yao's expiring contract on the trade block

Hybrid View

Default Yao's expiring contract on the trade block

By Adrian Wojnarowski,

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...orockets122710

After years of patience and a willingness to wait out injury upon injury with their franchise star, the Houston Rockets are engaged in trade discussions about center Yao Ming with several teams, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The lure of acquiring Yao for potential suitors is the $8 million in savings that insurance will provide for his $17.7 million expiring contract this season. Some teams are considering re-signing Yao on a short-term deal with hopes of restoring him to playing health, while others see his contract as a cost-saving measure.

Once one of the dominant players in the NBA, Yao, 30, will miss the rest of the season with a stress fracture in his left ankle. There are serious questions about his ability to return to the NBA on a full-time basis.

The Rockets are dangling Yao to acquire a good young player with an upside, if not an established talent. Despite offering Yao in trades, the Rockets haven’t ruled out the possibility of re-signing him to a short-term contract extension.

If Yao has surgery to repair the stress fracture, it would keep him out 10 months. After missing just two regular season games in his first three NBA seasons, Yao has missed at least 25 games in five of the past six seasons. He’s played just five games the past two seasons. From a broken leg to stress fractures in his feet, Yao’s lower extremities have struggled to support his 7-foot-6 frame.

Default Re: Yao's expiring contract on the trade block

im not intrested...he gets hurt every year and is getting older and older

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    im not intrested...he gets hurt every year and is getting older and older
    You're missing the point. Teams aren't goint to trade for him with the intentions of him being a significant piece of the roster. It would be for the $8 million insurance claim that is going to be available for his contract.
    Grown Man Ball

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rockets Consider Trading Yao Ming

HOUSTON - NBA sources told FOX 26 Sports the Houston Rockets are considering trading center Yao Ming.

League sources told FOX 26 five or six teams have reached out to the Rockets expressing interest in Yao's contract.

Yao is injured and out for the season and because of that, insurance on his contract will cover a significant portion of what's left on his deal, about $8 million.

Any team that trades for Yao would be entitled to that payment with the Rockets receiving salary cap flexibility and/or a player in return that could help the club this season.

Sources with knowledge of how the Rockets are thinking tell FOX 26 the Rockets have not ruled out re-signing Yao, depending on the information they receive from their doctors.

Also, if the Rockets were to trade Yao, they would consider trying to bring him back to the franchise this summer after he becomes a free agent.

All talks with other NBA teams about a potential Yao Ming deal are in the early stages.

Meanwhile, the Rockets are also in the process of trying to get a disabled player exception for Yao because of his season-ending injury.

If granted, it would give the Rockets the additional ability to trade for a player without matching salaries up to the mid-level exception, about $5.75 million.

If the Rockets trade Yao, the request for the exception would end.

Maybe they should talk to the Knicks again. Maybe they'll trade them Curry and 8 draft picks for 6 more million in cap space this summer.

This belongs in the trade forum!!!, Just kidding, this is what some prick told me when I posted this very thread a minute ago.

here is how I feel:

This is the exact deal we need!

TJ, Solo, Dahntay, Foster, Posey, and a combo of 1st and 2nd round draft picks.

for

Yao, Budinger, Jeffries, and Patterson

Why we do this:

1. We get rid of these old vets that seem to be eating up minutes, and leaving us yet under .500. I dont know about you all, but if we are gonna go just under par again this year, and then have to settle for a pick in the 10-13 range again I am gonna scream. I would rather lose the extra 15-30 games, and get our young guys some playing time with each other, and get a good lotto pick.

2. We get younger, and more experience. This gives us two young guys who would fit nicely in this system, and look to be solid nba guys.

3. Yao is a great prospect. Worste case scenario, he retires, or signs somewhere else. Best case, he sticks around, gets healthy, and provides a great 2 towers tandum with Roy, or puts up decent numbers as our 6th man, and 4th quarter spark off the bench. Similar to Parish, Mutombo, Moses, The Dream, and Shaq as they got older. Maybe not 20 a night double-double guy, but putting in around 11 and 9, and filling in on injuries nicely.

4. International Exposure- Playing or not, Yao will bring our already mediocre Chinese following into full effect. We have all seen the turn out when the Rockets come to town, well imagine if he does pan out, and how the place will be packed at every home game.

5. We can sign Magnum for the rest of the season.

I would much rather see this for the rest of the season, even if it meant
    losing a few more games, this would at least be interesting to watch, and worth the drive.

pg: Collison, Aj, Lance
    sg: Brush, Mike, Budinger
    sf: Granger, George, Jeffries
    pf: Tyler, Patterson, McBob
    C: Hibbert, Rolle, Yao

Why Houston does it:

1. They have Twill now to back up Battier, and Budinger isnt playing much, same with Patterson who just came back from the Dleague, Hill and others are playing in the plethora position.

2. Brings in tons of expiring deals, and gives them experience, depth, and defense.

3. Gives them 2, count them, 2, centers. They are wanting a back up c now, but this gives them 2.
    "Did we learn anything?"-Jonathan Ames

"No, but thats okay, It's a good thing to stay in the dark about things - it keeps life more interesting."- George Christopher

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady#6 View Post
    This belongs in the trade forum!!!, Just kidding, this is what some prick told me when I posted this very thread a minute ago.

here is how I feel:

for

Why we do this:

1. We get rid of these old vets that seem to be eating up minutes, and leaving us yet under .500. I dont know about you all, but if we are gonna go just under par again this year, and then have to settle for a pick in the 10-13 range again I am gonna scream. I would rather lose the extra 15-30 games, and get our young guys some playing time with each other, and get a good lotto pick.

2. We get younger, and more experience. This gives us two young guys who would fit nicely in this system, and look to be solid nba guys.

3. Yao is a great prospect. Worste case scenario, he retires, or signs somewhere else. Best case, he sticks around, gets healthy, and provides a great 2 towers tandum with Roy, or puts up decent numbers as our 6th man, and 4th quarter spark off the bench. Similar to Parish, Mutombo, Moses, The Dream, and Shaq as they got older. Maybe not 20 a night double-double guy, but putting in around 11 and 9, and filling in on injuries nicely.

4. International Exposure- Playing or not, Yao will bring our already mediocre Chinese following into full effect. We have all seen the turn out when the Rockets come to town, well imagine if he does pan out, and how the place will be packed at every home game.

5. We can sign Magnum for the rest of the season.

I would much rather see this for the rest of the season, even if it meant
    losing a few more games, this would at least be interesting to watch, and worth the drive.

pg: Collison, Aj, Lance
    sg: Brush, Mike, Budinger
    sf: Granger, George, Jeffries
    pf: Tyler, Patterson, McBob
    C: Hibbert, Rolle, Yao

Why Houston does it:

1. They have Twill now to back up Battier, and Budinger isnt playing much, same with Patterson who just came back from the Dleague, Hill and others are playing in the plethora position.

2. Brings in tons of expiring deals, and gives them experience, depth, and defense.

3. Gives them 2, count them, 2, centers. They are wanting a back up c now, but this gives them 2.
    ur thead was a trade proposal. This is a news story so your thead belongs in the trade part of the fourm. This thead belongs here. No way the Rockets would consider this deal.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    How so? The pacers are trading for a guy that may never play a NBA game again. The rockets are getting all the expirings to get the players they want for him instead of trading for smothers team picked through roster.
    here is how I feel:

for

Patterson and Budinger they arent trading for our old veterns that is why. They are young up incomers who the Rockets value pretty high.

Philadelphia seems like a logical trade partner.

"I'm your huckleberry"

How old was Ilgauskas when he had several lost seasons due to injury? I remember people thinking he was done, but the Cavs put him on ice for a while and he finally came back and had a decent career. Maybe some team can do that in this case. Even if it took 3 more years for him to sit out, rehab, and get healthy he would be 33. Then the team could run him into the ground for a productive 3 or 4 years...no?

Looks like it was around '98-'01, which he would've been in his early to mid-20's.
    Last edited by DocHolliday; 12-28-2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: last line of info
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Philadelphia seems like a logical trade partner.
    Which possible trade are you thinking about?

Per Feigen, the teams that showed more interested were Charlotte and Sacramento.

The Rockets have spoken with Sacramento, which has the sort of young talent the Rockets would seek, and Charlotte, which would more likely have to include attractive draft picks along with contracts, according to one individual familiar with the talks.

The Kings have been steadfast in a refusal to deal first-round pick DeMarcus Cousins, despite a rocky start.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/7355667.html

for

Invoking my personal rule that if you're including a 2nd round pick or feel compelled to, you've made an uneven trade proposal.

So we're going to get youth, and a huge expiring contract ... for 5 guys on our bench that we won't even want at the end of the year? Lets be serious now.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    So we're going to get youth, and a huge expiring contract ... for 5 guys on our bench that we won't even want at the end of the year? Lets be serious now.
    ya that pretty much sums it up. this trade is lol

would getting the nba's tallest player to sit down on the bench lure more people to games?
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    would getting the nba's tallest player to sit down on the bench lure more people to games?
    because he is from china yes. When the rockets come to town a lot of asian people come out to the games.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    because he is from china yes. When the rockets come to town a lot of asian people come out to the games.
    Not to mention Jersey sales and other merchandising that is in return impacted. Revenue from over seas broadcasting, advertising and endorsements and the domestic attention it would bring as well. I really like this trade, and think that we could definitely be in the mix, if anything we get guys that are leaving anyways out of here, posey and jones a year earlier.

"No, but thats okay, It's a good thing to stay in the dark about things - it keeps life more interesting."- George Christopher

Mood

Not to mention Jersey sales and other merchandising that is in return impacted. Revenue from over seas broadcasting, advertising and endorsements and the domestic attention it would bring as well. I really like this trade, and think that we could definitely be in the mix, if anything we get guys that are leaving anyways out of here, posey and jones a year earlier.
    The promblem is this trade is so unrealistic. The pacers make out like bandits on his trade.

Cant a guy dream?

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    The promblem is this trade is so unrealistic. The pacers make out like bandits on his trade.

How so? The pacers are trading for a guy that may never play a NBA game again. The rockets are getting all the expirings to get the players they want for him instead of trading for smothers team picked through roster.

Well, if you take away Posey and Jeffries so Rockets don't take on bad money, I think it's a fair deal from basketball point of view. Rockets get decent picks for Budinger and Patterson, and some backups who can contribute right away. I don't know if this makes us better, we lose a lot of depth this year, and losing the picks hurts long term. Budinger and Patterson are ok if we find good minutes to develop them, but we already have projects at those positions in Paul and Tyler. A lot here depends on Yao getting healthy. If he retires after the season, I don't see a point in this deal.

All that said, I have hard time seeing Rockets trade Yao for anyone without star potential. Iguodala for instance. Not that Yao is worth much at this point to other teams, but he's still worth much to Rockets for sentimental and marketing reasons.

Also, imagine Yao recovers next year a little bit. Are we sure he's fine playing behind Hibbert? And will China really love us in this case, or hate us? Remember, they didn't even want to let him enter the draft without a superstar treatment, like a guarantee of Yao being the no.1 pick.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post

Also, imagine Yao recovers next year a little bit. Are we sure he's fine playing behind Hibbert? And will China really love us in this case, or hate us? Remember, they didn't even want to let him enter the draft without a superstar treatment, like a guarantee of Yao being the no.1 pick.
    China already loves us.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    China already loves us.
    Well you missed my point completely, but all this thread including my post is weak speculation, so no big deal.

You made me interested though, how come Pacers are popular in China? Is this based on any facts?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we do a trade with Houston, I want us to bring my AZ Wildcats Chase Budinger and Jordan Hill here to Indy.
    Grown Man Ball

We already have Foster, Dunleavy, Ford and Tinsley coming off the books.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.