Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44

Thread: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

  1. #26
    PistonsDynasty
    Guest

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    I don't post on this board that much anymore but how the hell the Defending Champs aren't number?

    But I can just sit back and laugh As the Pistons win another championship and prove you guys wrong again.

    Start of a Dynasty - 7 championships in a row.

  2. #27
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,297

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PistonsDynasty
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't post on this board that much anymore but how the hell the Defending Champs aren't number?

    But I can just sit back and laugh As the Pistons win another championship and prove you guys wrong again.

    Start of a Dynasty - 7 championships in a row.
    Look a few posts up and you'll see why. ed:

    Do Pistons fans just lurk until someone allegedly slights their team or something?

  3. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    740

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    The Pistons won the title and deserve credit...but we are not talking about LAST YEAR. We are talking THIS YEAR. I think a healthy Spurs, Wolves and Pacers team are all better than the Pistons as the rosters currently are for THIS YEAR.

    You win the title one year so that just makes you automatically the best team the next???? It does not make sense if you are strictly basing your opinion on what a team did THE YEAR BEFORE.

    I'm not sure the roster moves the Pistons made are good ones. I am not sure if the players will respond to Larry Brown the same way again this year. We (Pacers fans) know all too well how quickly players tire of Brown.

    I think the Spurs made great moves in free agency to put the key players around the best big man in the game.

    I think the T-Wolves would have won the West if not for Sam's injury. And would have beat the Pistons.

    And I think adding SJ and getting rid of Harrington makes the Pacers a MUCH better team. Add a much needed SG and get rid of a ball hogging "ME" player.

    Like I said, you can't base THIS YEAR strictly on who won the title LAST YEAR. They are really 2 different things.

  4. #29
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    Put me with the crowd that thinks "Just because they won last year, doesn't mean I have to say they will win it this year, when I don't neccessarily think that".

    Sure, they easily could repeat. But just because they won last year doesn't mean I DONT think the Spurs are the team to beat. The 2004 Pistons are the last NBA Champs, not the 2005 Pistons. So I'll give all the credit in the world the the 2004 Pistons, but the 2005 Pistons have won as much as every other 2005 team: jack.

  5. #30
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    I'd like to believe we could've beaten The Champs ...

    IF JO was healthy;

    IF Tinsley was healthy;

    IF Ron could keep his composure when the pressure was on;

    IF Austin played as well in Game #5 as he did in Game #4;

    IF Reggie was consistent from the outside;

    Etc.

    That's a lot of 'IFs'. And we didn't even take the series to seven games. Heck, we lost twice at home. The Pistons were *much* better than everyone in the league last year, and their core team hasn't gotten any worse. They may or may not have weakened thier bench, but given Joe D.'s track record, I tend to believe it isn't any weaker.

    I think its preposterous to say that, even though the Pistons easily dismantled the team that won the west, that they might have lost to the second and third best WC teams. Why do we, on a Pacers' board, have a WC bias? Matchups? I thought the Pistons matched up better against the Wolves and Spurs, anyway.

    I could see a three-team tie for #2 in the pre-season power rankings (Pacers, Spurs, Wolves).

    I'd hate to think that I've got Kstat's back ( ), so let's move on.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  6. #31
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    It's not a WC bias. The Spurs are a really good team that were one fluke Fisher shot away from being up 3-2 on LA. Matchups very much come into play. They would have matched up with Detroit better than LA did. But now, that same Spurs team has addressed their biggest weakness with Brent Barry, and I think that's going to cause them to go back to the Finals at least.
    [edit=12=1094131982][/edit]

  7. #32
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    Hi! I'm a Piston fan and I don't think I would rank the Pistons #1.

    Power rankings are about what team looks to be the most powerful team at the moment (thats why the real ones come out every week). Its not a prediction of the future only a gage of the present.

    The defending champ rule is fine if you prescribe to it but I don't. I say that you can't count the defending champ out (providing the team isn't blown up) but they aren't necessarily the front runner out of the gate. The Lakers have been the favorite at the start of every season for the last 5 or so whether they were the defending champs or not.

    For my money, last year's Spurs plus Brent Barry are the best 05 team before anyone has played an 05 game.

    BTW, the game is about match-ups and Kobe, Malone, and Shaq, were too much for Pop and the Spurs. I am fine with the idea that a different final match-up may have provided different results. There is no way the Pistons were a 5 game sweep better than the Spurs, though as a Piston fan I liked their chances versus any team in the league.
    [edit=390=1094136096][/edit]

  8. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    740

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    I don't think a healthy Pacers team would have beat the Pistons...The Pacers just did not look mentally tough enough. The Pistons did. The Pacers had not been there before and it showed.

    I think the T-Wolves, if Sam was healthy, would have have beaten the Pistons in 6 games....at most. The Pistons did not have the depth to deal with everything the Wolves could have thrown at them. They just did not match up well.

  9. #34
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by naptown
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think a healthy Pacers team would have beat the Pistons...The Pacers just did not look mentally tough enough. The Pistons did. The Pacers had not been there before and it showed.

    I think the T-Wolves, if Sam was healthy, would have have beaten the Pistons in 6 games....at most. The Pistons did not have the depth to deal with everything the Wolves could have thrown at them. They just did not match up well.

    I think the Pistons, with a healthy Rasheed Wallace, would have swept all 4 playoff rounds.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  10. #35
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by naptown
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think a healthy Pacers team would have beat the Pistons...The Pacers just did not look mentally tough enough. The Pistons did. The Pacers had not been there before and it showed.

    I think the T-Wolves, if Sam was healthy, would have have beaten the Pistons in 6 games....at most. The Pistons did not have the depth to deal with everything the Wolves could have thrown at them. They just did not match up well.

    I think the Pistons, with a healthy Rasheed Wallace, would have swept all 4 playoff rounds.
    I disagree with both views quoted above. The Pistons, only had Rasheed for half of the last meeting of the two teams and only lost to the Wolves by one point (and even then only on a questionable call). I wasn't scared of the jump shooting Wolves with Rasheed on KG, Tayshaun on Spree, and Lidsay on Cassell. Though I admit I don't have a lot of respect for jump shooting teams. I think a better agument can be made for the Spurs.

    Also, it wasn't Rasheed's health that lost the game versus the Bucks or the game versus the Lakers so I don't see how a healthy Rasheed changes the playoffs much in those rounds. (Also, I don't think you can say that the two blow-out losses to the Nets are wins even if Rasheed doesn't have to drag that foot up and down the court)
    [edit=390=1094145223][/edit]

  11. #36
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by naptown
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think a healthy Pacers team would have beat the Pistons...The Pacers just did not look mentally tough enough. The Pistons did. The Pacers had not been there before and it showed.

    I think the T-Wolves, if Sam was healthy, would have have beaten the Pistons in 6 games....at most. The Pistons did not have the depth to deal with everything the Wolves could have thrown at them. They just did not match up well.

    I think the Pistons, with a healthy Rasheed Wallace, would have swept all 4 playoff rounds.
    I disagree with both views quoted above. The Pistons, with Rasheed for only a half only lost the Wolves by one point in the regular season (and even then only on a questionable call). I wasn't scared of the jump shooting Wolves with Rasheed on KG, Tayshaun on Spree, and Lidsay on Cassell. Though I admit I don't have a lot of respect for jump shooting teams. I think a better agument can be made for the Spurs.

    Also, it wasn't Rasheed's health that lost the game versus the Bucks or the game versus the Lakers so I don't see how a healthy Rasheed changes the playoffs much in those rounds. (Also, I don't think you can say that the two blow-out losses to the Nets are wins even if Rasheed doesn't have to drag that foot up and down the court)

    Just balancing things out, thats all.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  12. #37
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,297

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by naptown
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think a healthy Pacers team would have beat the Pistons...The Pacers just did not look mentally tough enough. The Pistons did. The Pacers had not been there before and it showed.

    I think the T-Wolves, if Sam was healthy, would have have beaten the Pistons in 6 games....at most. The Pistons did not have the depth to deal with everything the Wolves could have thrown at them. They just did not match up well.

    I think the Pistons, with a healthy Rasheed Wallace, would have swept all 4 playoff rounds.
    I disagree with both views quoted above. The Pistons, with Rasheed for only a half only lost the Wolves by one point in the regular season (and even then only on a questionable call). I wasn't scared of the jump shooting Wolves with Rasheed on KG, Tayshaun on Spree, and Lidsay on Cassell. Though I admit I don't have a lot of respect for jump shooting teams. I think a better agument can be made for the Spurs.

    Also, it wasn't Rasheed's health that lost the game versus the Bucks or the game versus the Lakers so I don't see how a healthy Rasheed changes the playoffs much in those rounds. (Also, I don't think you can say that the two blow-out losses to the Nets are wins even if Rasheed doesn't have to drag that foot up and down the court)

    Just balancing things out, thats all.
    That's not "balancing things out." The previous statement is believable. Your following statement is just absurd.

  13. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    339

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    Why do you say the Pistons would match up poorly with Minnesota? Both the regular season meetings were one-point games, and the Pistons didn't have Sheed at all the first time and only had him for the first half the second time. That doesn't suggest that Minnesota would beat the Pistons in six games at most.

  14. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by naptown
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think a healthy Pacers team would have beat the Pistons...The Pacers just did not look mentally tough enough. The Pistons did. The Pacers had not been there before and it showed.

    I think the T-Wolves, if Sam was healthy, would have have beaten the Pistons in 6 games....at most. The Pistons did not have the depth to deal with everything the Wolves could have thrown at them. They just did not match up well.
    I agree with the first part. I don't agree with the second - I think Detroit would have taken the Wolves comfortably.

    The Spurs are another story. I would've loved to see that series (didn't mind the Lakers getting stomped though). Detroit would have played them their tough,grind-it-out, in-your-face defense - and the Spurs would have in-your-faced right back.

    I can't predict how that would have turned out but it sure would have been fun to watch.

    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  15. #40
    Member Ultimate Frisbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by naptown
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think a healthy Pacers team would have beat the Pistons...The Pacers just did not look mentally tough enough. The Pistons did. The Pacers had not been there before and it showed.

    I think the T-Wolves, if Sam was healthy, would have have beaten the Pistons in 6 games....at most. The Pistons did not have the depth to deal with everything the Wolves could have thrown at them. They just did not match up well.
    I agree with the first part. I don't agree with the second - I think Detroit would have taken the Wolves comfortably.

    The Spurs are another story. I would've loved to see that series (didn't mind the Lakers getting stomped though). Detroit would have played them their tough,grind-it-out, in-your-face defense - and the Spurs would have in-your-faced right back.

    I can't predict how that would have turned out but it sure would have been fun to watch.
    I agree... The Spurs were the team that the Pistons should fear most... They could have handled the Defensive oriented game that the Pistons play..
    Here, everyone have a : on me

  16. #41
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by naptown
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think a healthy Pacers team would have beat the Pistons...The Pacers just did not look mentally tough enough. The Pistons did. The Pacers had not been there before and it showed.

    I think the T-Wolves, if Sam was healthy, would have have beaten the Pistons in 6 games....at most. The Pistons did not have the depth to deal with everything the Wolves could have thrown at them. They just did not match up well.

    I think the Pistons, with a healthy Rasheed Wallace, would have swept all 4 playoff rounds.


    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  17. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    740

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by unstandable
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do you say the Pistons would match up poorly with Minnesota? Both the regular season meetings were one-point games, and the Pistons didn't have Sheed at all the first time and only had him for the first half the second time. That doesn't suggest that Minnesota would beat the Pistons in six games at most.
    I think the Wolves had the depth in the front court to bother Detroit. They just had a nice mix of different types of players up front....Garnett, Candi, Johnson, Madsen, O Miller, Gary Trent.... you can play a lot of different ways with those players and with depth like that inside and shooters like Wally, Spree, Sam and Freddie outside.....like I said, I just think the Wolves had the proper depth, in the right places, to deal with the Pistons. Particularly up front where the Pistons were not very deep or very big.

  18. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by naptown
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by unstandable
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do you say the Pistons would match up poorly with Minnesota? Both the regular season meetings were one-point games, and the Pistons didn't have Sheed at all the first time and only had him for the first half the second time. That doesn't suggest that Minnesota would beat the Pistons in six games at most.
    I think the Wolves had the depth in the front court to bother Detroit. They just had a nice mix of different types of players up front....Garnett, Candi, Johnson, Madsen, O Miller, Gary Trent.... you can play a lot of different ways with those players and with depth like that inside and shooters like Wally, Spree, Sam and Freddie outside.....like I said, I just think the Wolves had the proper depth, in the right places, to deal with the Pistons. Particularly up front where the Pistons were not very deep or very big.
    The Wolves are a lot like Sacto - they like to space thye floor, move the ball, and use their athleticism with a does of outside shooting to beat you. I don't think they would have been able to handle the tough, grinding games Detroit would have turned them into - they aren't built for that any more than Dallas is.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  19. #44
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

    Although they say the one way to beat 'troit is to run and shoot great from the outside. The t'wolves do both well.

    It would have been intresting, and certainly more competetion they got from the Lakers.
    [edit=424=1094176155][/edit]
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •