Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

Since it's now September, I thought it would be a goodtime to get this rolling. I know the complexion of things may yet change with impending trades, preseason injuries, etc., but I'm going to go ahead and do a Top 10 as if the season were about to begin. As always, feel free to post your own rankings.

1) - If not for the Lakers' last hurrah, the Wolves would likely have been in the Finals last year. With pretty much the entire cast returning this year, only the Spurs stand in the way of Minny taking the West.

2) - If the Wolves fail to come out of the West, you can practically guarantee that San Antonio will be representing the conference for the third time in seven seasons. They, too, return a cast that was, also, stopped short by the now-disassembled Lakers.

3) istons: - The reigning champions managed to reinstall the old cliche of "defense wins championships," and also did so without the benefit of a bona-fide superstar. However, the completely revamped bench, relying on young rookies and aging veterans, may not be enough to allow Detroit to repeat. Of course, they've already beaten the odds once.

4) acers: - If Bender can step into Al Harrington's former role as sixth man, and Stephen Jackson turns out as good as advertised, it's very reasonable to expect the Pacers could finally get over the hump and send Reggie Miller into the sunset with a ring.

5) - With a slimmer Shaq now in the East, coupled with rising star Dwayne Wade, the only thing stopping the Heat are a better supporting cast and bench. That could be rectified before the start of the season, which could propel the Heat to favorites in the suddenly-rejuvenated East.

6) - After tallying a 50-win season and playoff appearance last year, there's no reason to believe that Hubie's bunch won't at least match that performance in what will likely be Brown's final season.

7) - Although Shaq has been replaced by Vlade Divac and Payton was shipped out for Chucky Atkins, the one-two punch of Odom and Kobe should be enough to keep the Lakers in the playoff race, though likely not strong enough to overcome the Wolves or Spurs.

8) - Like the Heat and Lakers, the Rockets have a powerful one-two punch in Yao and TMac, though this one is more unporven, with even less surrounding it. In time and with the right acquisitions, however, Houston could once again move to the forefront of championship contenders.

9) - Carmelo didn't have the best Olympics, and his attiude definitely has fans in Denver worried about team chmistry going into the season. But if they can keep it together, the Nuggets should make a return appearance to the playoffs.

10) - In just one season, Utah has gone from preseason last-place finishers to a solid playoff team. They added Okur and Boozer and lost...Ostertag. However, the big bucks spent on these unproven players could hamstring the Jazz for years to come when looking to build upon their foundation.

WORST) - With the exception of Okafor, who's a rookie, you'd be hard-pressed to find a team with fewer players least likely to make another NBA team's roster.

Default Re: The Official PD Preseason Power Rankings Thread

1. Detroit - The first championship team to keep their starting five intact in several years. Plus they added McDyess and will have Rasheed for the whole year. The team to beat.

2. San Antonio - The second best team last year in my book added Brent Barry, who will form a lethal backcourt with Parker and Ginobili. Their only weakness is at center.

3. Indiana - Reggie Miller should come off the bench.

4. Miami - Slimmed-down Shaq is scary.

5. Minnesota - Health at point guard (of both Cassell and Hudson) is key.

6. Utah - If Jerry Sloan could almost make the playoffs with the team he had last year, they should be great this year with the additions of Boozer and Okur. Okur will be overmatched defensively in the West, but he will excel on offense in the pick and pop. Harpring will also help a lot if he's healthy.

7-13 are all Western Conference teams. If I had to guess an order I'd say Houston, Dallas, Sacramento, LA Lakers, Memphis, Phoenix, Denver.

14. Cleveland - The fourth best team in the East (assuming Ford isn't healthy for Milwaukee). Snow will really help. The key will be Gooden.

15. New Orleans

16. Milwaukee

The five Atlantic Division teams are all about equally mediocre. They'll all be bunched together, and if I had to guess an order I'd say NY, NJ, Philly, Boston, Toronto.

The bottom of the barrel will be Orlando, Portland, Chicago, Washington, Golden State, LA Clippers, Seattle, Atlanta, and Charlotte.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm just going to skip this one, because any thread that begins with the reigning champs as #3 just smacks of

Its still WAAAAY too early to do this.
    [edit=64=1094063980][/edit]

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just going to skip this one, because any thread that begins with the reigning champs as #3 just smacks of

Yeah, 'cause you're not exactly biased or anything.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What would be the point of having a power ranking poll if you had to pick the defending champions as the number 1 team? It's not about who won last year, it's about who you think will be the best team THIS year. Shade thinks the Wolves and Spurs will be better teams this year, which is a valid prediction.

If you had picked the defending champs the past 2 years, you would have been wrong anyway as the Lakers won in 02 but lost in 03...and the Spurs won in 03 and lost in 04.

istons:

acers:

Banned

acers:

istons:

[edit=536=1094069670][/edit]

Shoot, forgot about the Rockets. They could go almost anywhere in my top 8. Depends on how well a duo of Yao T-Mac works.

1. Pistons
    2. Spurs
    3. Pacers
    4. Wolves
    You could put these 4 in a hat and pick 'em. As always, if the defending champ is right in the mix, I put them number 1.
    5. Sacto
    6. Memphis
    7. Dallas
    8. Denver
    9. Miami
    10. Houston
    11. Lakers
    12. Knicks
    13. Utah
    14. New Orleans
    15. Philly
    16. Milwaukee
    17. Phoenix
    18. Cleveland
    19. Portland
    20. Seattle
    21. New Jersey (They are gonna be SOOO weak without either Kidd or Martin to start the season)
    22. Boston
    23. Wizards
    24. Golden State
    25. Toronto
    26. Clippers
    27. Orlando
    28. Bulls
    29. Hawks
    30. Bobcats

I'll come up with more thought and explanations when the season gets closer - may decide Toronto, Utah, etc., are a little better too - we'll see.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Certain people really don't have the champs, with their core players and coach intact, at #1 to begin the season?

[edit=72=1094078387][/edit]
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    Certain people really don't have the champs, with their core players and coach intact, at #1 to begin the season?

Exactly. I chewed the same people out last year for not having the spurs #1. Its just stupid.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

The spurs also didn't win last year, so maybe in hindsight it was you that was stupid.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Opinions are never stupid, and that's a fact.

It's too early for me; last year I made my power rankings before Walker got traded from the Celtics...Although I don't share the possibly extremist view of Jay and Mr. Simpson, I am on their side, at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Since it's now September, I thought it would be a goodtime to get this rolling. I know the complexion of things may yet change with impending trades, preseason injuries, etc., but I'm going to go ahead and do a Top 10 as if the season were about to begin. As always, feel free to post your own rankings.

1) - If not for the Lakers' last hurrah, the Wolves would likely have been in the Finals last year. With pretty much the entire cast returning this year, only the Spurs stand in the way of Minny taking the West.

2) - If the Wolves fail to come out of the West, you can practically guarantee that San Antonio will be representing the conference for the third time in seven seasons. They, too, return a cast that was, also, stopped short by the now-disassembled Lakers.

3) istons: - The reigning champions managed to reinstall the old cliche of "defense wins championships," and also did so without the benefit of a bona-fide superstar. However, the completely revamped bench, relying on young rookies and aging veterans, may not be enough to allow Detroit to repeat. Of course, they've already beaten the odds once.

4) acers: - If Bender can step into Al Harrington's former role as sixth man, and Stephen Jackson turns out as good as advertised, it's very reasonable to expect the Pacers could finally get over the hump and send Reggie Miller into the sunset with a ring.

5) - With a slimmer Shaq now in the East, coupled with rising star Dwayne Wade, the only thing stopping the Heat are a better supporting cast and bench. That could be rectified before the start of the season, which could propel the Heat to favorites in the suddenly-rejuvenated East.

6) - After tallying a 50-win season and playoff appearance last year, there's no reason to believe that Hubie's bunch won't at least match that performance in what will likely be Brown's final season.

7) - Although Shaq has been replaced by Vlade Divac and Payton was shipped out for Chucky Atkins, the one-two punch of Odom and Kobe should be enough to keep the Lakers in the playoff race, though likely not strong enough to overcome the Wolves or Spurs.

8) - Like the Heat and Lakers, the Rockets have a powerful one-two punch in Yao and TMac, though this one is more unporven, with even less surrounding it. In time and with the right acquisitions, however, Houston could once again move to the forefront of championship contenders.

9) - Carmelo didn't have the best Olympics, and his attiude definitely has fans in Denver worried about team chmistry going into the season. But if they can keep it together, the Nuggets should make a return appearance to the playoffs.
    nah...his attitude about the NUGGETS is great...his attitude in greece sucked.

Power rankings aren't about "predicting the next champ". Nobody here is a prophet, as far as I know. Had Kstat (Mr. Simpson? ) - at this time last summer - predicted the Pistons would trade a bag of chips for 'Sheed at the deadline and easily dismantle the Lakers in The Finals... well we all would have called him names. I guess we already call him names. Specifically, we would have called him "looney".

Power rankings are about ranking the teams, here and now.

Since the season ended, The Champs (title case) have either (a) not made any major changes, or (b) made minor changes that could make them even stronger next year. Other contenders, such as Minnesota, the Spurs and the Pacers have not done enough for most rational people to believe they've clearly surpassed The Champs. Thus, I'm dumbfounded that Shade, and others, ranked the Pistons errr The Champs lower than #1.

People rate other teams higher than the champs because they think they will be better than the pistons next year. You guys act like since the pistons won that you have to think they will be best next year.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    People rate other teams higher than the champs because they think they will be better than the pistons next year. You guys act like since the pistons won that you have to think they will be best next year.
    I think his point is that nobody else has done anything to prove otherwise......

Bingo. It's not like the Pacers traded Al Harrington for Shaq. Everyone else has pretty much just made lateral moves. Give The Champs some respect.

Until some other team gets hot, I've got to believe , right now, that Detroit is the team to beat.
    [edit=72=1094091260][/edit]
    [edit=72=1094091265][/edit]
    [edit=72=1094091275][/edit]

Had the Lakers beat the Pistons in the Finals should they be given #1? How 'bout #2 because the finished 2nd in the NBA? Nope.

While I agree that Detroit #3 is a bit low, I don't see them as favorites to return to the top. They will be good but champs again? I don't think so but that, of course, is only speculation.

Is it too early to do this. Hell no. There's nothing else to do regarding the NBA right now. I hope that it wasn't too inconvenient for you, KStat, to read what I wrote as well as what Shade wrote. If it's so bad to read this stuff this early, stay on the Pistons site. I'm sure they'll care what you have to say.

I got your back Shade.
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

Yes, but winning it all doesn't prove that you're the best team next year, it means you were the best last year. Them winning doesn't prove anything for next year, IMO.

I'd put it at
    1. Spurs
    2. Pistons
    Indy-Minnie-lots of people potentially here

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac

Had the Lakers beat the Pistons in the Finals should they be given #1? How 'bout #2 because the finished 2nd in the NBA? Nope.

While I agree that Detroit #3 is a bit low, I don't see them as favorites to return to the top. They will be good but champs again? I don't think so but that, of course, is only speculation.

Is it too early to do this. Hell no. There's nothing else to do regarding the NBA right now. I hope that it wasn't too inconvenient for you, KStat, to read what I wrote as well as what Shade wrote. If it's so bad to read this stuff this early, stay on the Pistons site. I'm sure they'll care what you have to say.
    Thats TOTALLY different. The Pistons didn't lose any core players. Had the Lakers won it all, and retained their starting 5, you're damn right they would be #1 again.

I got your back Shade
    Well, its good to know that SOMEONE still wants that job......

[edit=64=1094091959][/edit]

I can't believe this has blown up into what it has.

Here's why I have the Pistons #3:

1) Their bench has arguably downgraded, if the projects and vets don't come through.

2) The Pacers improved in the one area they struggled with against the Pistons -- perimeter shooting. As close as the series was, it's easy to speculate that the Pacers could have taken out the Pistons with SJax instead of Al, and/or no injuries to JO and/or Tins. Yet, I still have the Pistons ahead of the PAcers for now, so bite me.

3) It's arguable that, had the Lakers not gotten in the way, the Spurs and/or Wolves may have beaten the Pistons in a 7-game series. It's all about match-ups.

4) The Pistons won last year simply because they wanted it more. That's what it takes to play good team defense -- a desire to win. I believe that the Pistons, having won now, will be slightly less hungry. And that may be all it takes for them to be overthrown this year.

I got your back Shade

ed:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade

4) The Pistons won last year simply because they wanted it more. That's what it takes to play good team defense -- a desire to win. I believe that the Pistons, having won now, will be slightly less hungry. And that may be all it takes for them to be overthrown this year.

Interesting point, Shade.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac

Thats TOTALLY different. The Pistons didn't lose any core players. Had the Lakers won it all, and retained their starting 5, you're damn right they would be #1 again.

I got your back Shade

Well, your mom can't do it forever. :finger: