Thread: Dunleavy - finally getting noticed

Default Dunleavy - finally getting noticed

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/blog_brunner.html

Caught in the Web
    By Conrad Brunner of Pacers.com

Finally, Dunleavy gets noticed

Dec. 23, 2010

Funny, what Mike Dunleavy has to do to get noticed.

His game-winning, buzzer-beating, heart-stopping tip-in to beat the Hornets Monday night took him out of the background and into the spotlight, and he frankly seemed kind of comfortable, running the length of the court with his No. 1 signal high in the air, smiling broadly when tackled by Danny Granger, and then pumping his first mightily before raising both arms when the officials' replay review confirmed the moment.

For Dunleavy, it was ironic to be the center of attention after what he deemed an otherwise "terrible" performance (eight points on 3-of-11 shooting, four assists, three rebounds, two steals) but his overall productivity this season has been quietly strong.

"The thing that we rarely talk about is Mike Dunleavy," said Coach Jim O'Brien, "and Mike Dunleavy is having a really, really strong year."

Playing pain-free for the first time since high school, finally back to full strength after major surgery in March 2009, Dunleavy has been an island of consistency. He's fifth on the team in scoring (12.2), second in rebounding (5.7), third in 3-pointers made and attempted (44-of-122) and fourth in blocked shots (18).

I asked Mike what he thought about his game this year and he used the word "solid." He's not happy with his shooting percentage (.450) but is generally pleased with his overall game. Always a solid and versatile player on offense, the more mobile and agile Dunleavy has become more effective as a defender, as well. O'Brien said the team's best defensive combinations at the wing include Dunleavy.

"He doesn't make mistakes defensively. He does exactly what you want offensively," said O'Brien. "He's got a good assist-turnover ratio, he's a good rebounder, he's a good communicator. He's overlooked, I think, by all of his, starting with me. I think he's having a great year."

Because he's one of the older players (30) on a very young roster and in the final season of his contract, Dunleavy also is frequently overlooked in discussions of the team's future, but O'Brien considers him "100 percent, absolutely" part of the Pacers' core group of players. He recently said he "desperately" wants Dunleavy to be a part of the team's future.

Indiana has been good for Dunleavy's career, and he knows it. He said he'd like to stay but isn't really getting into that discussion yet because he's remaining focused on the season and his quest for a first playoff berth.

"No doubt about it," Dunleavy said, "I love being here."

Safe to say after Monday night, the feeling is more mutual than ever.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Dunleavy - finally getting noticed

So what is the consensus of how much Dunleavy is worth as a free agent?

How much would other teams offer him?

If the Pacers resign him what would be a "good" contract?

I think signing Dun again should be on Birds agenda but it should be one of the last priorities after pursuing a starting big man. Dun is young enough that the length of his contract wouldn't bother me. I think he could be a rotation wing player for several more years. The amount per year would be a concern and I'd rather see his contract front loaded to free up more room for Roy and DC when the time comes. 4 years at 10 mil with the last 2 years being at the vet minimum would be nice. Anything more the 4 years 12 mil would be too much to pay. I don't see him getting that from any other team.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Mood

To address the section of the article about Dun liking the spotlight, I admit Dun has grown on me. He is hilarious from the mustaches (they were amazing) to the leisure suits (again amazing) to the online chat this summer where he was cracking jokes. Dun is great in his interviews, and can break down the game when hes being serious. I'm glad he's aware, and not content with his shooting%. When his shot is dropping the Pacers can pile up points quickly.

Any other team in the league will be able to offer Dunleavy the full MLE under the new CBA. Assuming there are other teams interested, that is the amount at which any genuine ompetition for his services will probably start. So, how much more above that amount will it take?

By the way, I read the thread title "Re: Dunleavy - finally getting noticed" and immediately thought "Jeesh, this is Christmas, not April Fool's Day". But then I saw who the author was and knew that everything was on the up and up.

Merry Christmas all!!!

Unlike a lot of players in the NBA money wont be the most important factor to resign MDJ. His family is pretty much set. I would assume he will want to stay close to his wife and newborn baby girl. So I think length of contract will be the most important. My guess is he will be looking for 3-4 years.
    JOB is a silly man

I hope so badly we don't bring him back, and that the Murphleavy curse can finally be lifted.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Mike is getting better and better as the season progresses. I wouldn't be suprised at all if he's back to his form from long-ago by the time February rolls around..

Which of course means that his value goes up both in free agency and as a trading piece.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

don't know about mike. hoping the trio of george, rush and granger will start to play well together by the end of the year. if they do, there just isn't gonna be enough playing time to go around. but if paul george doesn't become a good player, dunleavy would make a nice third swing guy.

guess what i am saying is mike would be ok if needed, but i am hoping for something better.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

The White Mike deserves notice! If we can sign him on the cheap,I'd like him back. Future 6th man.
    Pacers,baby!

I'm not opposed to bringing Mike back, but we have an abundance of wing players. Dunleavy isn't needed, especially if he will take future minutes away from Lance and PG.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any other team in the league will be able to offer Dunleavy the full MLE under the new CBA. Assuming there are other teams interested, that is the amount at which any genuine ompetition for his services will probably start. So, how much more above that amount will it take?

By the way, I read the thread title "Re: Dunleavy - finally getting noticed" and immediately thought "Jeesh, this is Christmas, not April Fool's Day". But then I saw who the author was and knew that everything was on the up and up.
    Merry Christmas all!!!

I don't see Mike as a player that would merit a full MLE offer. That is assuming the MLE system stays in place under the new CBA. Full MLE offers are actually rare, I think last year the only players signed to a full MLE were Wes Mathews by Portland, Amir Johnson by Toronto, Drew Gooden by the Bucks and J.O. by Boston, and these were all big men. If Mike were a free agent today I'd say he gets some interest but more at the 2-2.5 mil per year range. Mike wouldn't be a starter on most teams and back up wing players are a dime a dozen. If someone offers Mike a full MLE contract then I'd say good luck to him. That's the kind of money I'd rather give Rush.

Solid is a good word for his game. I want better for my team. I want my 4th best wing to be solid, not my 2nd or 3rd.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Solid is a good word for his game. I want better for my team. I want my 4th best wing to be solid, not my 2nd or 3rd.
    Wow. Who goes that deep to have someone that solid at spot 4 in the wing rotation?

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:

That's true, I didn't take it in context. I'd consider 'solid' from a 4th wing, different than 'solid' for a starter.

However, I think Dunleavy is solid as a starter. I'm well aware not many share that opinion however.

Let me try to say it a better way:

If Mike Dunleavy is your starter, and he's not at least the 5th, if not 6th or 7th, most talented guy on the roster, you're in trouble if you want to contend.

Put another way: I'll be stunned if he ever starts on a title-winning team, and if he is, he'll almost certainly be surrounded by better players than him.

That may sound mean-spirited, but it's not meant that way; I'm simply trying to view our roster from the perspective of how close I think it is to truly contending for a title.

Agreed. I said virtually the same thing about him and Redick in the Foster for Redick thread.

They'll do the job, but they'll never be difference makers.

I said in the Foster/Redick thread I feel "tops" at 3-4 mil a year is the most Bird should offer Dunleavy same as what he should have offered Foster 2 years ago. I think a 3 year contract with the 3rd year as a team option is enough. If that isn't good enough, then good-bye and we wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Wow. Who goes that deep to have someone that solid at spot 4 in the wing rotation?
    The Lakers With Kobe, Artest, Brown And Barnes. Throw In Odom Depending On Line Ups.

As For Dunleavy, I Just Want The Murphleavy Stain Gone.
    Last edited by LA_Confidential; 12-26-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Mike is not a take your team to another level type of player.

Solid is a good word to describe Mike's game. The Pacers don't need solid though. The Pacers need more than solid.

Mike is someone you bring in to complete a team. Not someone you build around. The Pacers need to get together all the guys they want to build around before they worry about completing the team with solid players like Mike.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

If we didn't have Posey, I'd be okay with re-signing Dunleavy. With Posey, BRush and Granger; all we have room for is a 4th Wing Player....IMHO....if we had to get one....it would be for the best quality Starting SG that we can get. Unfortunately, if Dunleavy is the best SG that we can find next offseason....then I'd rather not do anything and let PG fill those minutes.

My guess is that Dunleavy will command a contract around $4+ mil a year / 3-4 year contract. Many of you look at him as the Player that we had over the last 3-4 seasons....where we use him as the 2nd to 3rd best Player on our Team....whereas he would be a solid 7th-8th Man on any other Playoff Team.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-26-2010 at 04:36 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    If we didn't have Posey, I'd be okay with re-signing Dunleavy. With Posey, BRush and Granger; all we have room for is a 4th Wing Player...
    Regardless of your opinion on Posey being a wing or a four, he's used almost exclusively on this team at the power forward position, so lumping him in with the wings isn't very accurate.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    I hope so badly we don't bring him back, and that the Murphleavy curse can finally be lifted.
    There is no such thing. By the way, Bird turned Murphy into Collison in case you missed it. Oh, and Stephen Jackson is long gone as well.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    Mike is not a take your team to another level type of player.

Solid is a good word to describe Mike's game. The Pacers don't need solid though. The Pacers need more than solid.

Mike is someone you bring in to complete a team. Not someone you build around. The Pacers need to get together all the guys they want to build around before they worry about completing the team with solid players like Mike.
    This sounds real nice in theory, however it is a two way street. The signing of Mike Dunleavy, or lack therof, is not going to make or break this team.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor