Thread: UCLA's 88 game win streak and Indiana's Kelly Farris

Default UCLA's 88 game win streak and Indiana's Kelly Farris

So, not sure how much media about this win streak is in Indiana, but the Uconn Women are playing a game tomorrow to tie the 88 game win streak. It's against OSU, who are a top team. (Sammy Prahalis, OSU's star, is an interesting point guard. Incredibly talanted but can easily be taken out of her game because of her emotions. )

It's on at 2:30 on ESPN U. If they win, the game to break the streak is on ESPN2 Tuesday at 7, if anyone's interested.

Kelly Farris is a sophomore from Indiana. She's really an incredible basketball player, would probably be one of the best players in the country if she could score. Truly, she's Uconn's best defender (possibly best defender Uconn has ever had.) one of our best ball handlers, our best passer (she has a really good assist/turover ratio, 3 to 1, which until about 2 games ago, was an even more ridiculous 5 to 1 assist to turnover ratio...and she's a wing, not a PG..not sure why we haven't tried her at PG though.) and a fantastic rebounder for a guard. Essentially, she's had games where she was one of the best, if not the best, player on the court without scoring a single point. She's an interesting player, and worth checking out.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: UCLA's 88 game win streak and Indiana's Kelly Farris

UConn won and, as usual, it wasn't even close.

yea, I was a bit suprised they were that dominating. I expected more from OSU to be honest.

Prahalis is supposed to be the best point guard in the country. But our little freshman point guard outplayed her. (With Kelly's help on defense.)

And Lavendar is supposed to be one of the best post players in the country, she actually leads the country in points. And our freshman made her look silly too.

And a top PG/C combo going up against a freshman PG/C combo should have its advantages..

Uconn will lose at some point this season. We have five freshman, and we need them to cover the most important pieces on the floor. (Point Guard and Center) They aren't going to be this consistent throughout the entire season. Especially with the Big East being as tough as it is. Only question is when. Funny enough, I think it'll be against Notre Dame.

woman without a team

Never thought I'd dislike a college coach more than I dislike Pat Summit. I absolutely can't stand Geno Auriemma.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just can't get in to this 'streak'.

And I agree. I dislike Geno for some reason. I don't know why though. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just can't get in to this 'streak'.

And I agree. I dislike Geno for some reason. I don't know why though. Ha.
    I know why I don't like him, because he seems so content staying in coaching womens basketball when he has done everything already in the sport. I think he should go and coach mens basketball for a new challenge. I honestly don't know how he hasn't moved on yet. I would have to made the jump.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I know why I don't like him, because he seems so content staying in coaching womens basketball when he has done everything already in the sport. I think he should go and coach mens basketball for a new challenge. I honestly don't know how he hasn't moved on yet. I would have to made the jump.
    Because he has the best job in basketball.

He made his home here, that's all. He almost took a job at a top men's school once, but decided to stay because his kids were in CT. He's also yet to top all of Summit's numbers, which I'm sure is a priority.

Honestly, and I hate to lose him, but if the women go undefeated again I think he needs to move on. A sports writer wrote recently that he's covered the yankees, covered the Celtics, covered the knicks, covered pretty much any type of team there is, and Geno's the best coach he's covered. And honestly, I believe it. Some of the teams Uconn has had has played some of the most flawless and beautiful basketball I have ever seen. (This team, is not one of those teams. The last one was actually 2007-2008 until two injuries took them out, and before that 2001-2002) So he'd need to go somewhere else. Although, he's coached women and men, and he prefers to coach women. So I don't know if he ever would. He's said he'd want to be an assistant coach in the NBA when he retires from Uconn.

Geno is blunt and can rub people the wrong way because of it. I think he's hilarious, but many don't. And if he's not "yours" it's easy to dislike him. (Sort of like Taurasi was)

Its really nothing personal against him, i don't follow womens bball to closely to have a personal opinion on him. And its not just that they have won 88 in a row, its the fact that they have absolutely no competition. I mean PSU's womens volleyball team won 109 in a row and just got their 4th national title in a row, but at least there were teams that pushed them. I would be bored if I were Geno. I do understand staying put for kids though. And I think he needs to coach a men's college program before a NBA team, mainly because how players would view him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

UConn tied the streak in number only. It's a completely different sport. Them tying UCLA's streak is as relevant as if they tied an NBA team's streak.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    UConn tied the streak in number only. It's a completely different sport. Them tying UCLA's streak is as relevant as if they tied an NBA team's streak.
    Depends how you look at it.

Uconn has the record in WCBB, UCLA has it in MCBB, and it's tied in CBB.

But truthfully, MCBB at that time was much more similar to WCBB today, then it is to MCBB today.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think this is one of those records, and Geno is one of those people, that will be much more revered 20 yrs from now than now. What he is doing is absolutely incredible. Maybe I am biased, but as a high school basketball coach I know how stinkin hard it is to get 1 win! 89 and more is incredible. I am no Uconn fan, but I can appreciate greatness when I see it, and both Geno and this streak are incredibly impressive.

Nerd.
    Mood

Streak is gone.

Mood

And it's a bookender, just like when Notre Dame snapped UCLA's streak.

Apropos

Yup, Kelly was great against Stanford, unfortunatly she was the only one to show up. But it was going to end sometime. Honestly, I thought for sure they'd lose against Baylor earlier in this season.

Really amazing thing to witness though, and Stanford played really well and knew how to beat Connecticut. (Not sure why it took this long, play a zone off of misses, press after makes, and beat up Maya. :P )