Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The OSU president Gordon Gee says Boise St. and TCU "are not worthy"

Default The OSU president Gordon Gee says Boise St. and TCU "are not worthy"

of playing for a college football championship due to their conference affiliations and their weak schedules.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5845736

A quick check of the Sagarin strength of schedule rankings shows that these 5 schools have played the weakest schedules among the top 20 schools in the Sagarin rankings:

Ohio St: 59th
    Wisconsin: 61st
    Michigan St: 67th
    TCU: 68th
    Boise St: 73rd (but will rise after playing at Nevada)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt10.htm

So yes, they are at the bottom in strength of schedule Gordon, with YOU AND YOUR BUDDIES!

OSU's non-conference schedule was 4 home games, vs. Marshall, Ohio, Eastern Michigan, and Miami (I'll give them that one). This is fairly typical of big power schools- all non-conference games are at home. If Boise St. or TCU calls and asks to schedule a home-and-home series, they laugh and say "NO, you have to come to our house every year"

Personally I would love to see Boise St. demolish OSU or some other big school in a bowl game, like they did years back to Oklahoma.

I want Auburn to lose this weekend for sure and set up Oregon vs. Boise or TCU (assuming no leap-frogging by lower-ranked power schools).

TIME FOR A PLAYOFF!
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-24-2010 at 12:31 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Default Re: The OSU president Gordon Gee says Boise St. and TCU "are not worthy"

Hopefully this year instead of having Boise St and TCU play each other, they'll match one of them against Ohio State.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The OSU president Gordon Gee says Boise St. and TCU "are not worthy"

Stuff like this is why I just can't take college football seriously until a playoff system is implemented.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Years back? It was 2007, which I know wasn't your point, but that's not that long ago.

Let me put it this way, anyone who watched Boise State ROLL Fresno last week watched the best team in College Football. They would smoke Ohio State.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I hate college football. I can't take a sport seriously that doesn't have a playoff system. Every sport - from pee-wee to the pros - has some sort of playoff system to determine a champion....except college football.

The NFL is a superior product in every way imaginable.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Ohio State's non-conference schedule is a joke. Plus, playing Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, and Minnesota this year is nothing to tout about. 7/11 of Ohio State's games this year have been against mediocre at best teams, some of those teams which are really awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Years back? It was 2007, which I know wasn't your point, but that's not that long ago.

Let me put it this way, anyone who watched Boise State ROLL Fresno last week watched the best team in College Football. They would smoke Ohio State.
    I knew it wasn't that long ago but I was too lazy to look it up!
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    I hate college football. I can't take a sport seriously that doesn't have a playoff system. Every sport - from pee-wee to the pros - has some sort of playoff system to determine a champion....except college football.

The NFL is a superior product in every way imaginable.
    And the odd thing is, the small colleges have a playoff. The NCAA Division III Playoffs have 32 teams, they started last weekend, and they crown a champion by Christmas. These are the small schools like Wabash, DePauw, Franklin, etc. The other divisions do this as well.

NCAA presidents don't want to risk losing bowl money, but I think that not having a playoffs turns people turn off the sport. Having it would hugely increase revenue due to more interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post

NCAA presidents don't want to risk losing bowl money, but I think that not having a playoffs turns people turn off the sport. Having it would hugely increase revenue due to more interest.

And the thing is, you could still keep the big bowls by using them as playoff games. A Rose Bowl game between say USC (when they can actually go again) and Ohio State where the winner goes on to play the winner of the Sugar Bowl is going to be a massively hyped game.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

They use the excuse in D-1 that a playoff system would be detrimental to the studies of the players....you can't even make this stuff up.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    And the odd thing is, the small colleges have a playoff. The NCAA Division III Playoffs have 32 teams, they started last weekend, and they crown a champion by Christmas. These are the small schools like Wabash, DePauw, Franklin, etc. The other divisions do this as well.

Yup, my alma matte missed the cute this year (even though we only lost one game to app state) but I agree, the playoff system is amazing.

I know our AD said he took the blame and is going to schedule harder opponents, but I know the playoff system is exciting at smaller schools, though I wish we had made it this year. /side rant

TJ, I love that excuse. It really is priceless

The part I love the most is ignoring the blatant contradiction by having a month long tournament for basketball in March, the tourney for football would fall during the first two weeks of January which are completely useless in almost every way at every single college.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Dude, Fresno State sucks. Boise State is not the best team in college football, and I sincerely doubt they would smoke Ohio State.

I know the SOS and all that crap has TCU and Boise State close to some of the big time schools, but they only need to really get up for 2 or 3 games a year. The rest are a cakewalk. They can play like crap and still beat the **** out of everyone else in their conference. Of course this would all be made moot if there were just a playoff system, but hey, that just makes too much sense to actually implement.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Fresno State does not suck. In the Big Ten, they would be somewhere in the middle. tOSU's schedule is a joke this year. Their big OOC game was against a Miami team that is the 4th or 5th best team in the ACC.

The BCS system + voter bias allows AQ conferences to play nothing but cupcakes and use the inertia of early season polls to keep 2-4 of their teams in the top 25 and put a team into the NC. The Big Ten is the worst of all. The conference as a whole has only played 2 currently ranked teams OOC: when Penn State got trashed by Bama and when Iowa got beat by Arizona. They are hermetically sealed from being exposed.

There are teams with brutal schedules that that man up and go OOC with real opponents and deal with a gauntlet in conference. tOSU sure as hell ain't one of them.

As for Boise, they pass the eyeball test with flying colors and have played a respectable schedule. I hope Auburn loses in the Iron Bowl and BSU whips Oregon for the third year running. If not, maybe they'll somehow get tOSU.

BSU plays much better defense than the two teams in front them, and their offense is very effective. Calling them the best team in CFB is hardly a stretch. This is the year we find out for sure. BSU, and likely TCU, will be playing in BCS bowls, and not against each other.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And this is why I despise Ohio State...

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Dude, Fresno State sucks. Boise State is not the best team in college football, and I sincerely doubt they would smoke Ohio State.

I know the SOS and all that crap has TCU and Boise State close to some of the big time schools, but they only need to really get up for 2 or 3 games a year. The rest are a cakewalk. They can play like crap and still beat the **** out of everyone else in their conference. Of course this would all be made moot if there were just a playoff system, but hey, that just makes too much sense to actually implement.
    Fresno got beat 51-0! They hadn't been shut out in 12 years...I'll just say we'll see at this point. I haven't watched a more impressive defense and there isn't a more impressive threesome at QB and WR in the entire country.

Plus judicata brings up a great point. This Boise team played basically this exact same Oregon team last year, and SPANKED EM. And they beat TCU in the BCS game. Just boggles my mind.

Mood

That is why we need a playoff system somehow. So guys like this can get their mouths shut when a team like TCU or Boise State beat them head to head. I like the idea of taking the top eight and doing a short playoff. Hell, use the BCS to rank them and then they play it out.

Auburn is getting ROFL-stomped right now.

Well, Alabama decided to see how hard they could choke.

Good Lord Greg McElroy just got rocked, when they rolled him over his eyes looked completely blank.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

I wouldn't say Fresno sucks, they aren't great, but they are a good team.

Boise State is the best team in football and I don't care what anyone says. They beat Va Tech and Oregon State and play #19 Nevada tonight. I've watched a lot of OSU games this year and there isn't a doubt in my mind that Boise would destroy them. They have absolutely rolled over ever team on their schedule that they should. Sure they only have to get up for 2 or 3 games, but the thing is they play great every single game. They don't look average against anyone. They have had 3 shut outs and average close to 50 a game. I don't care who they play, thats impressive. OSU has one good win and thats Iowa. They lost to Wisconsin which was their best test. If PSU played a full game against them, they would have lost to an average PSU team at home. As a PSU fan I would be way more scared of Boise than OSU.

Boise does a great job at recruiting. My family lives in the Sacramento area and the local high school is a powerhouse there as they have been competing for state championships recently and Boise State has recruited quite a few players from there. Kids like going to Boise. They have a great program and have proven time and time again that they can play with the big boys. What else do they need to do?

Boise is a more complete team than Oregon and has enough speed to keep up with Auburn. They should be ahead of TCU imo too.

College football needs a playoff system. Joe Paterno has been saying this for years. So many people have been saying this for years. I think big conferences schedules are vastly overrated as usually their non conference schedule is terrible as is their in conference schedule. The Big Ten has two good teams in OSU and Wisconsin. MSU and Iowa are good, but aren't special, PSU is average and no one else in the conference is special. The SEC is overrated as usual. They are better than the Big Ten, but I'm really not that scared of most the teams not named Auburn. Only thing that scares me in the Pac 10 is Oregon's offense. The Big 12 is similar to the Big Ten. Don't get me started on the ACC or better yet the Big East. Neither of those conferences deserve an automatic bid this year, nor have they in recent years.

Well Auburn and Oregon both win.

Now about the only thing Boise can hope for is that Scam Newton gets benched for his transgressions.

Boise St. up 24-7 over 19 Nevada in Nevada right now.

Everyone can have the big conference boys, but I'm taking Boise State over any of them anywhere in the country every time. I'll take their 25 game win streak, their ridiculous 40+ PPG spread, and the best QB in college football every single day.

Wow! If you didn't stay up to watch, you missed an all time heartbreaker for Boise.

Well I guess all of Boise can blame me for that one.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: