Thread: NBA Merchandising?

Hybrid View

Detlef 11

Default NBA Merchandising?

I was chatting with some guys at work and an interesting question was raised. Does anyone know how the royalites are split from the sales of jerseys and other merchandise. Do the superstars receive any of the money from the sale of their jerseys? Are the royalities split equally amongst the players (even non superstars) in the league and the NBA? Just curious if anyone knew how that all worked.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA Merchandising?

I have no clue.Do you think the players need anymore money?I think they already have enough and don't need the royalties of the sales of their jerseys.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Mood

I doubt the players see any of it; they have their contracts and endorsements for money.

Past that, I suppose it comes down to the team, the league, and the makers/sellers of the merchandise.

Detlef 11

Pacerfan,

To answer your question, yes, I think the players make way to much money anyway. But with Artest changing his number, I was just curious as to whether or not this would mean more money in his pocket, with the new jersey sales. I'm guessing that the players don't get any of the money, but I'm not sure.

Yea the Ron situation had me wondering about that.I have no clue but I doubt the players get a lot from their jerseys.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Detlef 11

vapacersfan,

Thanks for the info. Sounds as if the star players do see more royalities than just the common player. So it might be in the best interest of Artest and other stars to change numbers, etc... for the sake of some extra greenback.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, I got an official response from Pacers beat writer Mark Montieth. He was kind enough to respond to my email.

I saw your question in the latest Ask the Experts file. I need to make a couple of phone calls to make sure I'm correct on a few points, but will answer it later.

Mark

The sale of jerseys and other merchandise falls into the category of "basketball related income" (along with ticket sales and broadcast rights, for example) which helps determine where the salary cap is set and the minimum and maximum salaries. So, indirectly, the players benefit from merchandise sales. A superstar doesn't get a greater percentage of sales than a benchwarmer, however.
    and of course you know I had to pimp Pacersdigest in my thank you email

Awsome, thanks for responding Mark. I am a member of PacersDigest
    (www.pacersdigest.com) and this question came up and I honestly had no
    idea. I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to
    answer this question.

-Adam
    VA that was some awesome pimping of PDMore people need to know about this forum becuase for most Pacers and Colts fans there is only the dreaded Troll heaven Indystar.The only way I found out about PD is while I was lurking on IS someone had a thread about PD is back online and then some typical IS posters had to clown itThen I went there checked it out and decided to register.And here I am.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Mood

Thanks for pimpin' my site to Montieth

Detlef 11

Your sure went way out of your way to find out the answer for me. I really appreciate that. And of course, it doesn't hurt to spread the word of this site either. But to be totally honest, those idiots over at IS can just stay there. This is the home of true Pacer fans and not a bunch of idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Detlef
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your sure went way out of your way to find out the answer for me. I really appreciate that. And of course, it doesn't hurt to spread the word of this site either. But to be totally honest, those idiots over at IS can just stay there. This is the home of true Pacer fans and not a bunch of idiots.
    Yea I agree.IS sucks.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions